PDA

View Full Version : Fabulous Freedom February

SnoopyC
February 1st, 2016, 05:36 AM
Good morning all...

Pauly, wow 100 days that is fantastic. Keep the progress going, and tell us how it feels and how you are staying AF. Certainly your life has not changed into a perfect one, just a normal life with family, work, relationships and challenges. :) As time goes on, it becomes natural to be AF, you notice that lots of people drink lightly or not at all. And in the end, who cares what anyone else thinks? What matters is what you think! As far as kids and the job hunt, I am trying to detach from m son's job search, he is not looking as hard as I think he should, but geez, has only lived here a week. My husband told me to trust that he will do the right thing. I'm trying. Good luck in helping your daughter.

Lav, wow, YB must be really crabby for a little one to notice it. I think at different times in our life we lose our way...then with insight, awareness, knowledge, determination and lots of hard work, we find the path we want to follow. It is not easy, but the only way out of misery.

Dill, I liked the neighbor but she appears to be younger than my daughter. Darn. I wanted someone closer to my age, so will keep looking. That recipe was really good. Whew. Having some leftovers tonight. Glad you were able to spend time with your grandkids, lovely. I was able to yesterday and he was so loving and adorable, I was in heaven, feeling so blessed.

Cyn, I think we actually have to schedule in self-care time when so busy. I shut my door at work and take about ten minutes to deep breathe and relax after lunch if I can. It makes a difference. Remember the old days when people took cigarette breaks? Well, I am taking a healthy breathing break! Ha! Getting into that relaxation mode is a skill, you will get so much better at it with practice. Wishing you a peaceful productive week.

Monday so soon again. Grateful I have a job I love, feel healthy and planning to eat well this week, of course AF. Have a good one. :thumbsup:

treegirl
February 1st, 2016, 08:08 AM
Morning all -

A quick check-in to say Happy February! Wonderful name, Star - thanks so much for starting us out. (I'm off to do my scan - haven't missed a day yet...)

Wishing all a great start to a fabulous month ---

Lavande
February 1st, 2016, 08:21 AM
Good morning friends on the Groundhog Day eve :)

Thanks for starting is us up for a new month Star!
I truly do feel fabulous & free. Life is good regardless of the grumps in the background, ha ha!
We are starting at 45 degrees today - woo hoo! I expect some serious snow melting, yay!

Wouldn't it be 'nice' if we could resolve our grown kids problems? That's something I think about often but the truth is they have to learn to do it themselves. I know this intellectually, I just have to convince my heart. It's rough to watch them struggle but I keep telling myself that they will figure things out. Star, I do hope your son finds a job very soon so you can all breathe calmly.

Pauly, I am so happy for you & know you are getting stronger each & every day!
I hope your daughter also finds a better job soon. Keep giving her gentle nudges in the right direction ;)

Dill, sounds like you had a full weekend too, nice!
I have to admit that I slept like a rock last night after a busy weekend with family. Life is good. Enjoy your lunch out with your friend today. I am meeting my old work friends on Wednesday & am looking forward to some nice conversation.

Cyn, I hope you are feeling stronger this week. Take the time to be kind to yourself, OK?

I am starting my day with a trip to Curves. I need some spend some serious time clearing my desk today, what a mess.
Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day!

Lav

paulywogg
February 1st, 2016, 08:44 AM
Morning friends,Star I love the thread title,thanks for the kick off into Feb:) January went by slow kinda but I'm glad cuz last year flew,I think being sober time slows down a bit cuz you're actually aware of what's going on,maybe its just me,Lav,yes,yes,yes I wish I could solve all my kids' problems, I think it hurts us worse than our own problems, yesterday I decided to go on thrifbooks and see if they had anymore books by the author of the one I just finished and they did so I ordered 3,$11 something with free shipping:) I took an Advil pm last night and I think it gave me anxiety, I slept fine but woke up kinda panicky,that's why I hate medication, too unpredictable in my crazy body,on my last doctors visit I told him mucinex makes me feel speedy and he said there's nothing in it to make you feel like that it must have had another ingredient, well it didn't I'm just weird haha,anyways hello to Cyn and Dill,let's have a nice Monday :)

dill
February 1st, 2016, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the wonderful start up for February Star! I am thinking that you might want to consider developing some sort of friendship with your new neighbor even if she is quite a bit younger. If you have common ground the age difference won't matter and besides, I think it is wise to have friends both older and younger. My neighbor across the road is my daughter's age, but I do enjoy talking with her and we have a lot of values in common. Being with younger people and their children brings a little sparkle into my life, if that makes any sense to you. Of course, my daughter is far away so I suppose this neighbor fills a bit of a void for me.

Lav, I hear you on wishing we could resolve our kids problems even tho they are adults. It's hard not to step in sometimes, but you are right. They must find their own way. Just as we did. I sure am glad for you that Curves remained open!

Pauly, I think that the ingredient in those "PM" pain relievers can very well act as a stimulant. They help you fall asleep, just like alcohol did. But they can cause wakefulness in the early morning hours, just like alcohol did!

Cyn, well done on sticking with the meditations. Do you think time of day you do them makes a difference? I wonder if there is research about that. Sounds like I'll be googling later this afternoon! LOL!

I better get busy around here so I can get a few things done before meeting my friends. Have a great day everyone!

paulywogg
February 1st, 2016, 09:46 AM
I agree Dill cuz it knocked me out cold but woke me up with a jittery feel,never again,luckily it was just a sample pack and I didn't buy a whole bottle

Lavande
February 1st, 2016, 08:31 PM
Pauly, some people do react to the Benadryl component. it doesn't bother me that way so I take it along with everything else. I am a hardcore insomniac & light sleeper any way. The least little noise or light wakes me up. Working midnight shift years ago really screwed me up, ha ha!!!
I have also added sleepytime herbal tea to my nightly routine lately & it helps ;)

Dill, I hope you enjoyed meeting your friends today. I am doing that Wednesday, can't wait!

Lizann
February 1st, 2016, 09:46 PM
Pauly, it sounds like you are super sensitive to medications! I was like that too, not so much anymore. Wonder if that has to do with just being older. I believe the PM ingredient is Benadryl. Hope you're feeling better.

SnoopyC
February 2nd, 2016, 05:48 AM
Good morning all...

Pauly, to bad the medication made you jittery, I wouldn't take it again either.

Lav, the weather here has been warm and lovely, today rain, but still in the 50s. Unbelievable.

Cyn, enjoy the scan.

Dill, I'll think about what you said and will continue to be friendly. Have fun at your lunch.

Onward Tuesday, AF.

Lavande
February 2nd, 2016, 08:03 AM
Good morning friends, happy Groundhog day!

The Pennsylvania rodent Punxsutawney Phil has just predicted an early Spring :yay:
I really hope he's right for once, ha ha!!

Hello to Star, Dill, Pauly & Cyn.
I hope everyone has a great AF day.
I has lots to do while the snow continues to melt.

Lav

paulywogg
February 2nd, 2016, 09:22 AM
Morning friends,just a quick hello from me today,I hope we all have a peaceful, AF Tuesday:)

dill
February 2nd, 2016, 04:16 PM
Hello All, quick check in here, too. I've had an nice walk today in the sunshine. It was such a nice change from all the clouds we've been having.

I'm so glad the groundhog didn't see his shadow! Thanks for that news flash Lav! LOL

Greetings Star, Cyn and Pauly and a special :welcome: to you, Lizann.

Have a great af evening everyone.

treegirl
February 2nd, 2016, 05:09 PM
Hello all -

Happy TUESDAY. I write that in caps because, after getting up at 5 AM and getting Mr T off to NYC for a day of working, feeding the dogs and doing my scan, I totally mistook the day for Wednesday, rushed around and got myself into the car at 9 AM to see my 'regular' doc (just a checkin). When I got there (30 minutes away), I thought it was odd that the receptionist wasn't in, and all I heard was the calm music of the acupuncturist that works there as well !!!!! Duh, the doc was not in this morning...

I salvaged the trip by stopping at a store I rarely go to; I got some clean chicken breasts to cook for girl-dog, then swung through the Dollar Store for house essentials. I've been putting off those errands. Then came home and totally crashed! I guess getting off of my eating pattern, and not taking my nutraceuticals ( one of which helps my adrenals) made a difference.

But I got my scan in! Dill - I do it early in the morning, but after I've had a little to eat, and a 'bullet-proof' tea. It's the only way I can be sure to get the meditation in. I tried one day in the afternoon, but really struggled to stay awake. I'm going to keep at it: last night I watched a video with Deepak Chopra last where he talked about research they are doing at the Chopra Center. They have a control group of people meditating, and Harvard runs all the numbers of their blood each day... after 4 days of meditating, all the inflammation markers in the meditators' blood were remarkable changed. I guess he has a new book out: 'SuperGene' or something like that. All about the microbiome, and how what we eat controls how our genes are 'expressed'. So genes are not destiny!!! It really sounds fascinating!

So, now if I can just remember what day it is, and stay awake beyond 11 AM, I'll be good to go. Sheesh.

Hope all have a beautiful AF TUESDAY night. (Hey - it's 5:05, and the sun hasn't even set yet!)

Lavande
February 2nd, 2016, 09:03 PM
Just found out I am on kid watch so I'll be out by 7:30 tomorrow morning BUT it will just be for a short while. I have lunch plans with my friends & I won't let anyone mess them up for me :)

Cyn, I read about Chopra's new study going on. Sometimes I wish I could actually be out there & get involved with some of their stuff.
We definitely do not have to let our genetics take control of our destiny. Our everyday choices of what we do, eat, drink & not do are much more important. Christianne Northrup has been saying the same thing ;)
When you get a minute, look at your Facebook messages. I sent you a link for GF, DF 'Wheat Thins' - easy to make & good!!
PS: sometimes I forget what day it is too, you are not alone.

Peace to all tonight!

SnoopyC
February 3rd, 2016, 05:46 AM
Good morning...

Cyn and Lav, how funny, when I woke up this morning, I had to consciously think, what day is today? I was hoping it was Friday. :)

Busy with work, really focusing on eating healthy, made a new recipe last night and it was soooo good.

Dill, I am reading an autobiography on Jennie Churchhill, Winston's mother. Interesting, but boy oh boy were those English aristocrats (she married one) selfish and not very good parents. Reminded me in some ways of Downton Abbey.

Cyn hope you feel better today. Good on you for pushing though with the body scan and making lemonade out of the lemon of the wrong day schedule. I really believe that meditating changes your immune system for the better, over time. In many ways it is like an extended prayer practice. Sounds like the doggies are doing better.

Pauly, it's Wednesday already. Yay.

Have a good one.

treegirl
February 3rd, 2016, 08:01 AM
Morning all - Happy Hump Day! Wednesday, today is Wednesday...

Lav, thinking of you driving to kid-sit, hope the commute is good. Have fun with your work friends.

Star, isn't that fascinating about Jennie Churchill? There wwre dozens of wealthy american heiresses married off to English noblemen then - just to keep the estates going. It was very much like Downtown - though I think few of them were involved in their kids' lives at all! Boarding schools...

Dill, did you have time with your friends yesterday? hope it was good.

Pauly - hope today is a good work day for you.

I'm off to the doc, as you know! Must get something done today, yesterday's goals got pretty messed up. It is what it is, I guess.

Happy day all -

dill
February 3rd, 2016, 08:17 AM
Happy af Hump Day all!

Cyn, after reading your post I googled a little bit about that research and found it fascinating. My googling also led me to a book called Autobiography of a Yogi, by Yogananda (1946) which I read excerpts from on the internet. Also very interesting to me. The Yogi was teaching this certain type of meditation called Kriya Yoga. He travelled the world teaching whoever wanted to learn and he is sometimes referred to as "the father of Yoga in the West". He said that meditation practice was a way to find God within. He was doing his teaching long before there were scientific methods to measure the effects of the practice but I am sure that finding inner peace thru meditation would have to lead to better physical health. After all my googling I am even more interested in meditation practice than I was before! Thanks to you and Star as well.

Star, that book about Jennie Churchill sounds interesting. I am and greaat admirer of Winston Churchill. If I get time I might get that book because it would be interesting to understand more about his upbringing and his character formation.

Lav, did you have a good meet up with your friends? I have another one scheduled for next week, Thursday. I'm really looking forward to that one. I am sad tho because one of the friends I am meeting has told me she is moving! She and her husband want to live closer to their children. I am happy for her to do it, but it will be a loss to me :(.

Hiya Pauly!:happy2:

Let's all have a good af Wednesday!

Lavande
February 3rd, 2016, 09:36 AM
Good morning friends, happy Hump day!

My child watching lasted all of one hour this morning. It was just at my son's house, a quick 8 mile trip. Got the oldest on the school bus & told my DIL that she was going to have to cancel her day. The younger guy is sick, was up throwing up during the night & all that.
Sounds mean but I wasn't going to cancel my lunch & Curves plans to sit with a sick kid. That's her job, not mine.

I am catching up with some stuff at home then will be heading out for a few hours.
Hello to Dill, Star, Cyn & Pauly.

Have a great AF day everyone!

Lav

paulywogg
February 3rd, 2016, 09:55 AM
Morning friends, Lav,that sounds evil but its true,we raised our kids already:) I have a guilty feeling thinking that way though,my mood has been weird,it fluctuates throughout the day,I don't feel down enough for meds I don't think anyways,just kinda meh,but there's happy times in between, probably just hormones, I don't think I could sit through the books y'all read,too.....something I can't think of the word,my books should be coming any day now,luckily I'm not watching Lou so if they come today I can at least start one,hello Cyn,Dill,Star I hope we all have an easy Wednesday:)

Lavande
February 3rd, 2016, 08:47 PM
It's hard on working parents having to deal with sick kids & all BUT I never asked someone to watch mine when they were sick :(
I try to help as much as I can but sometimes I just need to firm up my boundaries - know what I mean?
Pauly, watch your food intake to help stabilize your moods. I can get kind of whacky if my blood sugar drops too low too. Be nice to yourself & I swear by frequent small feedings instead of three large meals per day :)

I'm out early in the morning to go to my granddaughter's. I will check in from there.

Peace to all tonight!

SnoopyC
February 4th, 2016, 05:36 AM
Good morning...

Lav, good call, I would not think it my job either, especially if someone is throwing up. Yuck. I had to cancel lots of my plans when my kids were sick too. I work with several parents with young kids and they have to call off when their kids get sick. They work with their husbands,though, si it is more fair. I think it is good boundary setting and that is a good thing. You have been so good to them and they know it. I have three reasonable meals and if I am still hungry throughout the day, two snacks, like a piece of fruit, sunflower seeds or a cheese stick. Nothing to get excited about or pig out on. :)

Dill, sorry your friend is moving, but glad you had a good day. How interesting about the Yoga teaching. Prayer, meditation, they are all spiritual practices to me. I feel whatever works for each individual.

Cyn, it is very interesting that American women, rich of course, were married off to English nobleman. The child rearing practices were, somebody else do it. Poor Winston was in a boarding school that ruined his health for two years, his nanny found evidence of physical abuse and luckily his mother believed her and took him out of there. It took him years to recover and get strong. The emotional effects lasted a lifetime in some ways. Fascinating story for sure. Hope you doctor's visit went well.

Pauly, moods fluctuate throughout the day. This happens to lots of people. Knowing when you are in a better mood and when your mood changes can help you to plan your day. I always try to get the hard stuff at work completed, if I can, in the morning, because by three I just feel everything is harder, I am tired, and not as sharp. That is me. Having a protein snack at that time has helped, but I am still tired till after dinner. I am currently doing inner work with a book referred to on MWO, The 30 Day Sobriety Solution. It has exercises for each day and a website. I just felt that I needed more than just being AF. I have received very interesting insights so far and started a journal, looked at all types of things. Just wanted to mention this if anyone is interested.

It is cold here again, so sweaters are coming out today. Have a good one.

dill
February 4th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Hello All,

Lav, I agree 100% with your stand on not taking care of the sick ones. It is a mother's (or father's) place. I always called off work when my little ones were sick. It's a pain, but such is life, eh? I used to be able fo handle low blood sugar better when I was younger, but now, not so much. I try to eat healthy snacks when I have those hunger pains.

Star, thanks for telling the gist of Churchill's story. I doubt I will get to reading that book so I appreciate the "star notes":happy2:. I have been 'reading' (audio book) C.S. Lewis' autobiography, Surprised By Joy. He was a boy at the turn of the 20th century in Belfast, Ireland. His parents weren't rich but were upper middle class from what I can tell. They sent him and his brother to boarding school in England which was common in those days. It sounded horrible the way the boys were treated. His mother died of cancer when he was very, very young and his father would not listen to or believe his sons when they told him of the abuse they and the other boys suffered. It must have factored into the character formation of generations of boys. If you survived that, you had to be a strong person. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.". Anyway, I chose this book because Lewis describes his conversion from atheism to Christianity.

Pauly, LOL! I know some of the books we read do sound kind of wonky! No accounting for tastes, I guess. But I'm telling you, I like all kinds of books, so please don't think I am a complete wonk! Some of my dryer reading is done because I am seeking spiritual understanding. Maybe it's because of my later stage in life, but I am trying to find answers about the why's of life and our purpose here.

Cyn, I hope the doc visit went well. I thought it was funny that you drove to your appointment only to find you were there a day early! Not 5 minutes, 10 minutes or even an hour early! Not our Cyn, over achiever that she is, she was a whole 24 hours early! :thumbsup::congratulatory: Anyway, it reminded me of the time I was invited to a graduation reception for a friend's son a few years ago. I arrived a day early for that but the funny thing was, I ran into my good friend there (the one who is moving). We BOTH arrived a day early! Chalk it up to being just a bit 'dottie'. Neither of us would be considered over achievers. LOL

It's Thursday and winter has returned. YUCK. I was loving those warm temps of the last couple of days. They gave me hope, which I shall hold on to, that Spring will eventually arrive.

Have a great AF Thursday everyone!

paulywogg
February 4th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Morning friends, I was thinking about low blood sugar and wondering if we have it because we drank? Or do a lot of people get it? One of my coworkers doesn't eat ALL day and she never gets weird like I do,another coworker gets shaky like me if she doesn't eat but she's got diabetes, the other coworkers just snack on junk all day haha,I know I'm not diabetic so what gives? Maybe just getting older,Dill,I wasn't saying your choice in books is wonky,they just sound over my head,if I read something written by someone too educated my brain zones out and I read the same paragraph over and over,that happened when I tried to read the "Silence of the lambs" book,you can tell that guy is intellectual cuz I could barely understand the words,I had to look them up in a dictionary (long before Google), I've got to dry my hair,hope we all have a great Thursday,hello to Lav,Star,Cyn:)

Lavande
February 4th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Good Thursday morning friends ;)

I had a better than expected commute to my granddaughter's this morning. The dense fog we dealt with all day yesterday lifted. It Is nice to see where you are driving, ha ha! Temps are in the mid 40's here thru the weekend so it's not too bad.
I haven't heard anything more from my DIL so I guess they are feeling better over there. My son will be returning from work by mid-morning so he can take over.
My granddaughter is happy this morning & already into PBS shows!

Star, I say whatever reading makes you happy, do that!
I used to read everything on the bestsellers list then got bored with that. I have a big fascination with health & wellness so I tend to read more technical stuff & that's OK with me.

Dill, I am going to miss my friend if/when she actually moves to Florida. We have been friends since high school & she is my daughter's godmother. We haven't seen each other as much since I moved away from our hometown. There just seems to be so few left from my past, weird. I just don't think we can make friends like that anymore. I hope you don't get too much cold weather.

Cyn, how did it go? We are all waiting breathlessly for your report :hug:

Pauly, feeling better today? I hope so.

Have a wonderful AF day everyone!

Lav

treegirl
February 4th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Happy Thursday all -

Dill, thanks for the vote of confidence on being an over-achiever, but it was just actually because I was not thinking straight! I think my over achieving years have ended me in this situation of adrenal failure. I kind of drag myself through each day. I'm hoping that eventually meditation will help repair me. Sorry about your friend going away - enjoy your time next week.

Dear me, I didn't mean to make a big deal of going to the doc. I just went as a check-in for my weight and to see if she had any other ideas about what could be going on. She's a really bright physician, Top Doc each year as selected by her peers, but she's a regularly trained doc, and freely admits that she isn't familiar with a lot of the other ways of treating problems. I consider my naturopath doc my main go-to. It took a long time to get in this situation, and it will take time and a lot of behavior modification to get out of it. HB is not the most patient person, and he insisted that I see my 'regular' doc. Fortunately, she is open to other kinds of diagnosis, and gave me the name of a practice in NYC that she thinks a lot of - they handle endocrine issues. We'll see - I'm sticking with the protocol I have for now.

Lav - I think it's great that you set those boundaries. Sometimes I think your DIL thinks that she's the grandparent in that relationship - able to skip out whenever! It must be tough for working mom's, but seems like you all handled it in your child-rearing years.

Pauly - There is a lot of thinking that excess drinking comes about because of blood sugar problems, rather than the other way around. Interesting, huh?

Star - I so admire that you keep walking the talk on this journey - you are always seeking and finding. Good for you!

PS - the on-line seminar that I caught last week was on the healthful benefits of plant-fat: olives, olive oil, avocados, almonds, walnuts, coconut oil, etc. Now they are stressing how important those are to our whole system - especially brain - and that they actually help weight loss because they make you feel 'full'. I'll see if there is more on Dr. Mark Hyman's website - he has a new book out about it. Interesting stuff...

SnoopyC
February 5th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Good morning...

Hey ladies, it is freezing cold here again, winter is back! Back to my boots and sweaters for today. I am so glad it is Friday, I have been kind of tired this week, fallig asleep at 9:30 and waking up at 5:00.

Cyn, I agree that it takes time to make physical changes, it took a while to get to where we are, it will take time to get where we want to be. Don't you hate the media pressure for Valentine's Day? I feel pressure to do something big, which is ridiculous. Sounds like you have some good doctors, I need to find at least one that I like, just in case. How did you find them, word of mouth?

Lav, I always have at least two books going at the same time. One for entertainment, one for learning. I do like info on health and wellness too. Food is the source of our health in many ways and let's face it, it was not emphasized when we grew up. Luckily for me my mother was sensible when we were young, although lots of processed foods as that was considered good at the time.

Dill, why would parents let other adults abuse their children and not believe them? I think many kids died as in Jane Eyre or became sadistic themselves from the abuse. I know some became kinder as a result, but still, what was going on? That CS Lewis book sounds interesting. I love spiritual seeking books too, I believe there is no one answer to our purpose. I know for people at end of life, all that matters is who they loved and relationships, everything else is not too important. Not to say that you shouldn't have your affairs in order, that is part of loving your family, too. Next Wedesday is Ash Wednesday, and Lent, any plans? I am thinking about what I want to do this year.

Pauly, I am a nerd, now and always would read anything, so bear with me when I talk about all kinds of books, ideas, etc. We are all different here and that is what makes it interesting, that we can learn from each other. I think that the way we react to alcohol does have something to do with our blood sugar, and yes we continue to be affected by it. You are so smart to realize that changing up your diet right now led to cravings, and took care of that . Good for you. Self-awareness is so important in this journey, that is why I am continuing inner work, it never ends if we want to be healthy. What are you making for Super Bowl Sunday menu? I am thinking of wings, celery and veggie dip. Any ideas?

Off for more coffee. Have a good one. Peace.

Lavande
February 5th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Good morning friends, happy Friday, yay!!

We had a light dusting of snow overnight, nothing too exciting. I am still trying to get over the blizzard of two weeks ago, ha ha!

Star, bundle up! I don't think the stupid groundhog knows what he's talking about. Looks like the colder temps will return here on Monday, ugh!

I have lots of work related stuff to get to today but first a trip to Curves.
I do not watch the superbowl so I refuse to cook anything for it, ha ha!!

Hello to Cyn, Dill & Pauly. I hope everyone has a fabulous AF day.
Time to get my animals fed & watered.

Lav

paulywogg
February 5th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Morning ladies,Star I'm making wings too! Great minds think alike:) I only make wings this one time of year so it will be a nice treat,I love that you ladies talk about different books,who knows you may spark my interest in something other than romance novels haha,Lav,I watch the Superbowl for the commercials, I'm not a sports fan but Louie loves all sports on TV,even golf so he'll enjoy it,have a therapist appointment this morning and for some reason I'm nervous, getting to the root of why I have anxiety makes me have anxiety haha,I'm considering trying estroven,anyone ever try it? I looked up periomenopause and I have nearly every symptom:( sorry to always be going on about this but it bothers me a lot,hello Dill and Cyn,I hope we all have a fabulous Friday:)

dill
February 5th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Hello All, it's been a nice day here. Cold but sunny. It was pleasant enough to get out and take a long walk in the woods with a friend and Mr. Dill too.

getting to the root of why I have anxiety makes me have anxiety haha

Pauly, Ha! Very funny but undoubtedly too true! I hope that things got better after you you met your therapist (assuming this was an initial session). Fear of the unknown is anxiety producing for most, myself included. I hope you get some help with you anxiety issues.

Star, you and I are on the same page as far as purpose goes. I think our most important purpose here is to love. Of course there is much to do in addition to that but without love, nothing matters. I have only thought one thing about Lent so far and that is how much I look forward to the 6 weeks of good fish specials! LOL! Wendy's has their cod sandwich back.

Cyn, I hope you can find some way to get your energy back and put some weight on! I have long thought that 'low fat' diets were a mistake. You most certainly do need healthy fats in your diet and they really do help you feel more satiated. Every low fat food seems to be loaded with carbs which I think of as mostly empty calories, except for complex carbs of course.

Lav, do you even watch the commercials during the super bowl? I don't really care all that much about the game but this year I will be hoping for Peyton Manning to have a good night. I have always really liked him. I'd like to see him go out with a win.

Super bowl evening: I am going to do some crock pot cocktail meatballs, and have shrimp cocktail, cheese and crackers and veggies with dip. Probably some soup of some kind.

Have a good af Friday evening everyone.

SnoopyC
February 6th, 2016, 05:28 AM
Good morning...

Dill, what a good recipe line-up for Super Bowl day. I like the commercials too and follow the game throughout the evening. It means so much to my husband, I have to make it special. At least he likes to watch the game at home and not in a bar or something. You are funny about the Lent meals, we are supposed to sacrifice, but I always get excited about fish for a change too. :) Another topic in the book I am reading discusses core values, has you look at some and choose your own, then analyze how alcohol puts you at odds with those values and how you feel. I realized I violated every core value over time. Interesting reading on a cold winter's night.

Lav, hope you get all your stuff done and have time to relax. Stay warm and cozy. I saw where the East Coast was hit by more snow. Yuck. We are supposed to get some next week, hopefully not much. The groundhog myth is just that. We always have six more weeks of winter where I am from. :)

Pauly, going to a therapist is a great idea, hope it is a positive experience for you. My menopausal symptoms were so bad a few weeks ago I was looking into Estroven and other supplements, but watched my diet a bit more and with exercise, it seems a bit better. I am tired of all the symptoms too. Oh, I added a cheese stick at 3 o'clock so I don't get so tired, and as little as it is, it has really helped. The other thing I did was cut out my processed soup and crackers for lunch, replacing it with salad and homeade dressing of vinegar, oil and spices. I know it sounds weird, but my hot flashes are almost non-existent and I am sleeping better. I don't know what that means, but just wanted to share in case that would help. Hormonal problems = hell at times. We just can't give up till we find relief.

Cyn, I have been enjoying plant fat: avocados and black olives. They are so good and I feel good after I eat them. I have pretty immediate reaction to food and notice that lots of veggies are helpful in making me feel good physically and emotionally. Hope you are having a good weekend.

Have a great Saturday, AF.

Lavande
February 6th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Good Saturday morning friends!

Chilly but sunny so I won't complain. Yesterday's storm turned out to be nothing more than a dusting here, New England got hit harder. Now I hear Monday night into Tuesday will be the next problem, oh well. Spring will get here eventually.

Pauly, I did try a few of those OTC menopause relief products 20 years ago, didn't get any relief though. I think it's worth a try though, why not? I had no idea at the time that I was about to turn into such a hardcore case, ha ha.

Dill, the superbowl has never been a big thing in our house primarily because we were usually both working. We don't sit & watch football, just not interested in watching a bunch of overpaid men on TV. I know we fall way outside of the norm, ha ha!!!

Star, eating whole foods has really helped me tremendously. I had a chat about leaky gut with my healthcare provider years ago before it became mainstream news. I am much, much better but still react (rather violently) to dairy. I no longer have all the fatigue & aching joints, no weird rashes & a pretty good immune system. Finding substitutes for dairy was a pain in the beginning but I figured it all out. I can tolerate feta cheese since it's made from sheep or goat milk. Non-dairy milks are fine for cooking & baking, etc. It all works out ;)

Hey there Cyn, how are you doing?

OK, I need to get to the feed store before they close at noon - heaven forbid, ha ha!

Lav

paulywogg
February 6th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Morning friends,Star and Lav,I just really feel like my hormones are a wreck! I'm fine until that time of the month and I feel "off" totally not the sweet,funny,sexy paulywogg that I truly am Hahahaha!! I was evil to hubs last night cuz I was searching perimenopause stuff and he kept saying"addicted to your phone" meh,I went upstairs cuz he was bothering me, usually I'd blow him off or crack a joke,during the day I was soooo happy and then I got whacked with a case of the blues,I've got to get this under control, I also have got to get my hair fixed for work, hello Dill and Cyn,let's have a super,sober Saturday:)

treegirl
February 6th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Morning all -

Sorry to miss posting yesterday - it was a complicated day, busy but good - and I stayed pretty energized through it all. I have some herbal help that seems to be working...

So interesting, all of the posts. Thanks everybody for sharing these deep thoughts.

Pauly - good luck with the hormone thing. Like Lav, I have been dealing with it for decades, and like Lav, my dietary changes have made a huge help. I just went off HRT for the 'nth' time - the copay went from $5 to $100 when I changed insurance. Can't afford that, so guess what, I'm off again, but not doing too badly. I'm sure because of the food changes. I need to add exercise, and then maybe all will be well. Years ago - in the 90s sometime - I read a GREAT book about perimenopause, and he was right on point. Dr. John Lee; he was the first doc to start talking about good dietary fats and coconut oil. Everybody thought he was crazy back then! Here's a link: I can't recommend it highly enough (fun and easy to read, not scientific): What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life From Thirty to Fifty: John R. Lee, Jesse Hanley, Virginia Hopkins: 9780446673808: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Doctor-About-Premenopause/dp/0446673803)

Dill and Star - here's a link to a page with all sorts of healthy 'Superbowl' snacks. I won't be watching the game, but I like the look of these snacks, mmmmmm. Forget Superbowl, they look great for any day! 7 Plant-Based Snacks For Your Super Bowl Party - mindbodygreen.com (http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-23633/7-plant-based-snacks-for-your-super-bowl-party.html?utm_source=mbg&utm_medium=email&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=160205-13-things-you-need-to-know-today-february-5) Not sure that link will work, but you can go to mindbodygreen (http://www.mindbodygreen.com) and search '7 plant-based snacks'.

Lav - we got the snow yesterday, but just a few inches. Actually I love it - much brighter and prettier to look at outside than all the brown leaves and bare trees. Plus, I can't see my outside 'to do' list - the snow covers it all up. Like a 'get out of school' pass!

I was to go to see SD today, but girl dog is having a bit of a tough time today, so I'm going back on the old meds protocol for her, and have to keep a watchful eye. Poor sweetie - I wish I knew exactly what to do for her, but in the meantime, I'm doing my best. After being up in the night with her for a few hours I'm kind of glad not to be driving for 3 hours today...

Wishing all a great AF Saturday ---

SnoopyC
February 7th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Good morning everybody, seems the new wake-up time for me is 5 am. Yikes.

Lav, it is interesting about dairy, I can take a little cheese, but cow's milk, forget it. I wonder what it is that makes some of us intolerant to most dairy? Glad you didn't get more than a dusting of snow, enough is enough. :)

Dill, have fun today on Super Bowl Sunday.

Cyn, hope your day is peaceful, it is a grey time of year and yes the snow brightens everything up. Your dog is getting the best of care from you, it has to be tough it has been going on for a while. I am excited to see the plant based snacks, I will let you know what I make.

Pauly, hope you feel better, I remember getting antsy around that time of the month, with all kinds of other symptoms too. Have fun today with the wings, I am looking forward to cooking and watch the game. I just wish it was on earlier.

It really hit home to me yesterday about how important our sobriety is to us, as a friend's son, out of prison, is back in due to positive drug screens. He is lying about it, but no one believes him, it has happened so much. Really, really sad. As I read posts from all over MWO, it is super clear that the more time AF, the better life is in all aspects. The miserable people are the ones who are still drinking. Freedom from alcohol is fabulous, waking up feeling good, clear headed, enjoying daily activities, better relationships, more money. Going out to bars or drinking at home and having that initial good feeling from a few drinks is not worth all the misery alcohol delivers. Have a good one.

dill
February 7th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Hello Friends, sorry I was absent yesterday. I just got super busy with things early on and then went to pick up my granddaughter and that was that! But waht a good time we had. It was nice enough to take a long walk in the woods with her. We have a swing hanging from a really high branch in a sycamore tree down in the valley behind our house. We went down there and she had a good time swinging. I caught her on a short video laughing and swinging.

Star, that book you are reading about core values and examining how alcohol puts you at odds with them sounds like something I would like to read. Could you please tell me the title and author? I am so sorry for your friend and her son. There are too many stories like that these days. I have a friend who is actually happy when her son is in prison because she knows where he is and he is clean. He is out now and in an in patient treatment, but this is his 3rd time. I pray it is the one that takes!

Cyn, thank you for the snack link. I will look at it after gd leaves. I hope your girl dog is feeling much better! I have tried a few times to see the 5 planets but I can only see two each time. It's either clouds or trees or something that foils my attempts. Maybe I just don't know exactly how to look. I'll try again tho.

Lav, I really got into football for a brief time when I was working and I joined a football pool. I would pick the games for the week but I usually picked wrong! LOL. But it was fun and made me more interested. I actually watched games then. But that was years ago. I lost interest when I quit participating in the pool and I was never interested prior to that. But during that time period Payton Manning was with the Colts and I loved to watch him play. That's why I am pulling for him today!

Pauly, I'm sorry you are having troubles with your hormones. I remember going thru that. I'm glad to say that for me the time period passed and I have been on an even keel for many, many years. I hope the same for you!

Let's all have a super AF superbowl Sunday! There have been many superbowls I have watched and not remembered due to alcohol. Not anymore!

Lavande
February 7th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Good morning friends from sunny southeastern PA :)

February has always been my least favorite month of the year but at least we are getting closer to spring, yay!
Another storm has been predicted to hit here tomorrow night in Tuesday, ho hum.

Cyn, I saw those snack ideas on MBG, yum.
I hope your doggie is better. My big dog is having her share of problems too. I am doing my best to keep her mobile & comfortable at this point.
I wish you good luck being off your HRT. I want to be off mine but my B/P shoots up to scary heights when I go off :(

Star, I have had problems with dairy all of my life & never even realized it until just after my son was born. For some reason then it hit me like a ton of bricks!!
The current thinking is milk has been wrecked by the industry with growth hormones & antibiotics fed to the cows. All that garbage plays havoc with our normal gut biome & eventually causes leaky gut. This explanation makes perfect sense to me. I think the gluten issue falls right in there too. The wheat we are eating now is not the same wheat former generations ate & it's treated with massive amounts of chemicals - something else I am very sensitive to. I absolutely feel much, much better when I avoid dairy, excessive gluten & take a probiotic twice per day (to repair my gut lining). Eating has become a challenge but at least I have figured it out. Of course the millions of gallons of wine I consumed in the past added fuel to the fire as well.

Dill, I have a friend whose son has been in & out of jail due mostly to his drug issues. He has a long history of making bad choices but seems to be on a better path right now. I hope he stays on it too since he & his girlfriend just had a new baby back in October. He has an older child from a previous relationship who has been diagnosed with learning problems similar to his, oh boy!
Enjoy your day of football & snack smartly, ha ha!!!

Pauly, what's your plan for the day?

I am actually going to spend the afternoon in my shop. Nothing else going on that I know of but that could change.

Lav

paulywogg
February 7th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Morning ladies ,Cyn,thanks for the link,that book is in my cart now:) Star,I loved your post today,I often stop and think about how much better off I am not drinking,especially on bad days when I feel sick or tired,it would be worse if Iwere drinking,gross! Dill,sounds like you really enjoy your granddaughters company,I enjoy Louie more than most adults too,he laughs at my goofiness:) Lav,I hope you make lots of cash,I am amzed by how big of a drunk fest Superbowl is,disgusting, I'd rather pig out! I bought me a cheese and cracker platter so I won't eat too many wings,last year the hot sauce made for an unhappy Pauly at 12:30 am,made some ranch dip for hubs and I may steal a scoop,I hope we all have a great AF Sunday:)

treegirl
February 7th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Wishing all a great Monday! (I'm writing on Sunday night, but I'm sure no one will see it until tomorrow...)

Just finished cleaning up the kitchen - did a big cook and bake all night while HB watched the Bowl -- he wanted to see Peyton Manning. How great that PM took the win - what an athlete.

I made my first batch of granola! And boy, it will be a miracle if I don't eat it all in about 3 sittings - waaaaay too yummy. Also made GF/no-refined-sugar banana bread for HB. I'm really trying to get him to wean off of wheat and sugar - he is seriously addicted, and would like to lose a little weight. I just worry about blood sugar issues with him...

Made a bunch of vegies for the week, etc. And hey, Lav - I made 24 hour bone broth last week. But it didn't gel -- I guess that I had too much water for the amount of bones - I had 2 small chickens. But anyway, I feel good about giving it to my pups with their meals - hopefully it will help cure whatever GI issues girl dog is still having. I bought some of the Great Lakes soluble collagen for myself - easier to put in my soups!

BTW all, I found the MOST delicious pumpkin soup recipe. I made it Friday - I'll get a link on here. It is velvety smooth rich (vegan) goodness. Yum.

Got to get to bed now - wishing everybody the best start to the week --

SnoopyC
February 8th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Good morning...

Woke up to reports of snow, but down here is not a big deal, so far. Out with the sweaters and boots for work today!

Dill, the book I am reading is The 30 Day Sobriety Solution by Jack Canfield and Dave Andrews. I found out about it on MWO, read the reviews and thought that this would add to my life. It has, tremendously. I am reading a chapter a day, keeping the journal, and sharing it with my husband who likes the exercises as they make you think. It has a companion website, and is just very interesting. Sounds like so much fun with your granddaughter, it was really nice out, we cooked out our wings. Unbelievable for February. :)

Lav, that is so scarey regarding chemicals etc in our dairy and wheat. Mostly I stay away from both as much as possible. I have lost about 7 pounds after being at an all time high, but the main thing is that I feel better. I am trying to find the new normal I guess. Last night while watching the game I was hungry and wanted chocolate, but found a diet hot chocolate in my pantry. It hit the spot and was low in calories. I have to keep making better choices and this morning I feel great. Hope this snow does not come your way.

Cyn, I never got to the MBG website but will try this week. I ended up making the Lemon Chicken Orzo soup for the week and a coleslaw from that website, so cooked a bit all afternoon. It was worth it, now I don't have to cook till Tuesday morning when I make a crockpot Pot Roast. We have not had that for a long time, it will be in the 20s and a good winter meal. I would love the pumpkin soup recipe, sounds wonderful.

Pauly, the chapter for yesterday talked about how we drink and live our lives due to our subconscious on automatic. Part of this program is to retrain the automatic thinking or subconscious (that is the way I understand it) so that we tell ourselves that being sober is the best way to live, feel good, be healthy, have fun and make the most out of life. One chapter examined beliefs that limit us like thinking drinking is fun, etc. I realize that we are far enough along in this to realize none of that is true, but still, I am enjoying this book and wanted to share. It reinforces all the good we have discovered on our AF journeys.

I am excited I found a piano website and have an appointment next week to look at a used piano. I am getting through this winter the best I can! Have a great Monday.

Lavande
February 8th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Good Monday morning friends :)

Sunny now but snowy later.....ugh.
Storm warnings in affect until 4 am Wednesday. I am going to do my best to just ignore it & make the most of my day.

My son was at work yesterday but everyone else ended up here & yes, I fed them all, ha ha!!
They all left by 9 pm & YB actually turned the football game off to watch Downton Abbey. I guess that was kind of a gift for me, ha ha!! Anyway, we did see the end of the game ;)

Pauly, how did you do staying away from the wings???

Cyn, the more you make that bone broth the more you learn to really appreciate the goodness. I still have an occasional pot that doesn't gel but it's still good! Pumpkin soup sounds pretty darn good! With all of my relentless talk about healthy eating even YB is starting to reject some of his old favorites. You just have to be persistent with them!!!

Star, good job on the weight loss! It is not an easy task, I know!
I can't use any artificial sweeteners so I have to find alternatives. Have you ever tried Silk dark chocolate almond milk? Good!
Lose weight & improve your health with a real food diet | Fooducate (http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=90BA531A-E107-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471)
Enjoy your piano shopping - that's pretty cool!

Hello to Dill! How did your Superbowl weekend go?
Glad you had some granddaughter time too, Mine will be staying over next Sunday night because her school is closed for President's day Feb 15.

OK, time to feed animals & get to Curves. I have a lot of research to do for a customer this afternoon, busy, busy.

Lav

paulywogg
February 8th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Morning friends, Lav,I had 5 wings:)I'm surprised that the Silk got a C rating, I love the dark chocolate one,I heat it and add a little coffee in the afternoon, it tastes so smooth on its own too,those people are weirdos! My brother popped in for a little bit yesterday, someone knocked and I thought it was just one of the neighbors so when I opened the door it was a nice surprise, I guess they were in town for a concert the night before, omg,my house was a wreck! I was so embarrassed but I'm not the cleanest person and he knows that but Louie had stuff.eeverywhere! That game was boring to me,I found myself daydreaming and zoning most of it out,even Lou didn't care about it he just played with his tablet,the commercials weren't even very good,maybe 2 cute ones,meh,hello to Dill,Cyn Star,I hope we all have a great Monday:)

dill
February 8th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Hello all,
Thanks Star. I checked the library but they don't have the book yet and Amazon only has hardcover which I don't want to pay. I imagine you have the kindle version. I am an ebook reader unfortunately. I don't know yet what I shall do because my interest in the book has definitely been piqued, especially since you seem to be getting something from it.

Pauly, I watched the game with half an interest. You'll understand why when you read my reply to Lav's question about how my superbowl weekend went. However, I was happy that the broncos won. I really do admire Peyton. I imagine he'll retire now. He's almost 40.

Lav, our super bowl party pretty much went up in smoke. In the end we didn't make any snacks and just had ham sandwiches with carrot and celery sticks and some chips. Usually we have D's cousin over to watch with us, and our son and gkids. But this year our son decided it was really too much of a drive and they would be out too late for the kids on a school night. I thought it was a sensible choice. Then D's cousin's wife called and said he was in the ICU and that he had very nearly died. Fortunately he was stabilized. I won't go into detail, but the event was a result of liver complications due to our friend, alcohol. So, my mind was just really not on the game so much. I was half watching while I googled various medical terms and procedures that I had learned about that afternoon.

Cyn, you really got a lot of culinary work done! Well done to you! I still have some pumpkin meat I cooked down last fall which would make a good soup ingredient. I'm not sure if Mr. D will eat it though. Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained! I'll look forward to your link.

Lets all have a peaceful af evening everyone.

Sobriety and health is the greatest thing.
Jeff Bridges

paulywogg
February 8th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Dang Dill,sorry about hubs' cousin,damn alcohol!! There was a commercial yesterday and everyone was working out,I thought it was a fitbit or a health club ad,no it was for Michelob ultra!! Low carb low calorie poison,and they're drinking on "the Dr's" as we speak,ha ha very funny:(

treegirl
February 8th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Quick pop-in to say good evening -

Glad everyone had an OK Superbowl night. Dill, I'm so sorry to hear the news of Mr. Dill's cousin. A dear friend of mine from decades ago just lost her (40-something) brother - liver failure, due to alcohol abuse. She was with him at the hospital in his last week. When she arrived they had drawn 7 liters of fluid out of him - not sure if it was just lungs or everywhere. Unbelievable. She said that the complications from liver disease seemed endless. In the end, it was pneumonia that brought home to his final hours.

She had known about his AL abuse for a couple of years now - he was repeatedly sent to the Emergency room for bleeding ulcers, etc. I wrote to her about this site, and thought that he might find a MWO regimen and a community, but he refused to believe that he had a problem. Or if he knew, he had no desire to change. Incredibly sad, as he was the sweetest, funniest and most gentle soul. I get so angry at the substance itself, and our society condoning it and saying that it's fine for all (or worse, required for all) to drink. For some of us, our chemistry just can't support it - and if things don't happen early enough, there's another beautiful life snuffed out.

Thank you to all here that have supported and guided me all these years.

Wishing all a great AF Monday evening --

Lavande
February 8th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Good evening all!

Dill, I am sorry to hear your news. AL is a killer, one way or the other, sooner or later.
I hope the cousin improves & takes this as a major wakeup call. Ideally, when he is medically stable he should go straight from the hospital & into a rehab. My brother just turned 68 & is still drinking like a madman. He won't stop either & I know how it's going to end for him. He needs to deal with his severe chronic depression as well. He just prefers to label himself a dysfunctional Vietnam vet :(

Cyn, chronic liver failure patients develop what is called ascites. It's a collection of yellowish fluid in the abdomen, the amounts can be massive. I always felt sorry for them yet angry that they essentially did it to themselves. I am so grateful that none of us went down that path. Denial kills people every day.

Pauly, good job on not OD-ing on the wings, ha ha!!
Nice that you had a visit from your brother. I'm sure he was not taking notes about your housekeeping, LOL

Peace to all tonight. Waiting for the snow to start....ho hum.

SnoopyC
February 9th, 2016, 05:46 AM
Good morning all...

Dill, so sad about D's cousin alcohol related illness. I hope if he decides to quit it is not too late. Sorry that book is so expensive, I just downloaded it for $15.00 on my kindle, it is worth it to me. I am at a time in my life where I want a good quality relationship with myself. Doesn't that sound odd? But as you know I moved over a year ago, totally changed my career, home, city, everything, and now feel settled and want the best for myself emotionally too. The exercises in the book are helpful to me and when I think of where I would be in 5 or 10 years if I was still drinking, it is not a good place. I watch people either grow old with grace and dignity or as a hot mess. I want to look my best, have a great attitude, be useful, and enjoy all my relationships. One of the exercises is to picture yourself in detail in five/ten years in sobriety. I liked that one. That is what I am focusing on for my future. One of the reasons I want a piano and to stretch myself by relearning to play again, only this time focusing on doing my best and giving people pleasure sharing the music.

Lav, how sweet of YB to watch Downton Abbey, I watched two episodes by myself last night and it was good. We are getting snow too for the next few days, yuck.

Pauly, lovely that your brother stopped by. My house looks like a bomb hit it when my grandson is over...he has to have every toy spread out all over the house. I don't care, it is fun. :)

Cyn, I agree, I am so grateful for this site, this thread in particular, we are very kind and supportive to one another, as it should be. I don't want to end up a statistic, I have seen family members and others die of liver disease due to drinking, it is a horror.

Any plans for Valentine's Day? We want to go out to dinner on Sunday, but if it is cold and snowy, it might be easier to eat at home. We'll see. Have a great AF Tuesday.

dill
February 9th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Hello Friends, thanks for all your thoughtful and compassionate comments. Mr. D's cousin is still sedated and on machines. It will be a long haul for him.

Lav, you are right that he should go straight to rehab but denial may still be in play. We shall see when he comes back to consciousness. Of course, he has never acknowledged his drinking to anyone and even his wife, although she knew he drank some, didn't know how much until a few weeks ago when he began to have serious health issues. I had strong suspicions that he was in trouble as one "sneak drinker" to another, but I never broached it with him because he never gave any indication that it was a concern to him. He knows when he comes to our house there will be no alcohol, even on football Sundays, and he accepted that willingly and came faithfully, until the last few weeks. He too is 68 years old.

Pauly, I am disappointed that they were drinking lite beer on the Dr.'s. Knowing what alcohol is and does and how much a problem it is for many of their audience members, I would say that was irresponsible, really!:mad:

Cyn, I share your anger at alcohol and at our society's excessive promotion of it. I used to feel quite the opposite of course, but I have seen too much of the damage it causes, and I have lived too much of the damage, too to both body and spirit. After all this time there is STILL a large part of me that envies those who can drink normally which is really just ridiculous!!! There are so many more important things in this life than being able to "drink normally"! I still need to work on continuing to shift my thinking. That is why after all these years, I still need and value this thread and all of you.

Star, thank you for sharing the exercise from your book. It is a good one and I will focus on it today too. I think it is great that you share your thoughts and feelings about alcohol with your husband. You have a little support group of your own! Mr. D never had much attraction to alcohol and really doesn't understand the struggle. I can't talk about it with him to be quite honest. He actually gets up on his high horse and thinks people should just have enough sense to quit. Easy as that, just don't drink, nothing to it! It has been interesting watching him react to his cousin's illness and the revelation that he has been a closet drinker for many years. Mr. D loves his cousin and I can see him trying mightily to understand. And accept. His cousin is his best friend, so he is in a world of hurt right now. We have been thru the ringer with my son's issues and my own as well. But because of Mr. D's attitude I found my struggle to be made more difficult. Dealing with his judgmentalism naturally made me want to drink, as you may imagine. So I have had to keep my self to my self as realtes to my journey. And I have had to try deal with his judgmentalism regarding my son which causes a lot of friction. A momma lion and her cub....

Life, love, and relationships are all so complex! The most important thing is love. Which comes first? Being AF or self love? Can there be one without the other for folks like us?

Lavande
February 9th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Good morning friends, it's Fat Tuesday & it's snowing, oh boy!
I haven't made up my mind if I'm going out or not, we shall see.

Star, I hope you don't get too much snow. This is now getting tiresome especially when I see my daffs pushing up thru the ground. I am ready for spring!

Dill, let's hope your cousin's docs give him a clear message about the dangers of drinking again. This is one of those times where you just have to drop the bomb & do all you can to convince someone it's time to stop. I really hope that's the way it plays out for him.
I have spent nearly 43 years married to Mr Judgmental! YB also can be rather cold, harsh & at times lacks any semblance of empathy. Therefore I cannot have any deep & meaningful conversation with him about my struggles, past or present. I really do count on my online friends here for kind, empathetic, moral support :hug:
Your son is lucky to have you & your loving, kind support. I hope he knows that.
The thing that gets me is judgmental people are so good about pointing out other people's 'faults' but seem to be completely unaware of their own. I can't tell you how many times I've told YB to 'get out of my head & work on fixing his own problems'. That's why I have to maintain a large safety perimeter around myself!!

Cyn, are you getting any of this snow? I don't know how close your are to the I 95 corridor but I saw the news about a tour bus flipping over yesterday - sad. I hope you are safe & warm.

Pauly, would you like to have some real winter weather? Ha ha. I would be happy to send this snow stuff out to you!

Lav

paulywogg
February 9th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Morning friends, uh no thanks Lav you can keep the snow:) now maybe at Christmas time I'd have gladly taken it,we're up in the 70's this week! Dill,I was gonna ask how your ex DIL is doing? It was a lite beer commercial during the Superbowl I was talking about,the doctors were drinking margaritas yesterday saying"its 5 o clock somewhere" cripes,how different is that then just lighting up a joint on TV? Not much IMO, or even a cigarette, everyone would be up in arms but al on TV is something to laugh at I guess,meh,I sent Bobbi a card with money 2 weeks ago and she still hasn't gotten it! The very same thing happened last year and ended up back here,I dunno if Oregon post office peeps cant read my handwriting or what,hello to Star and Cyn,I hope we have a great Tuesday:)

Lavande
February 9th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Are you sure Pauly? This snow has been falling for exactly 24 hours now :(
Do you have a Paypal account? If not, set one up & get your daughter to set one up too. I've sent my kids quick cash for different things using Paypal. I have one account for personal use & one for my business :)

SnoopyC
February 10th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Good morning...

Dill, I think that people don't realize how serious alcohol abuse is, especially over time and where you are in the progression. Last year I had a call from a family member whose relative was drinking himself into oblivion by 10 am, blacking out. I told that person, he is close to death, get him to a hospital. They did not believe me at first, it was hard to get him into inpatient, but it happened. And he was close to death at that time. Then there was a struggle for the rest of treatment too, but now, a year later, that person is doing well, sober, in counseling weekly, and creating a new life. AA was not for them after the first month or so, I don't know why, but that is ok because we have to find our own way out. Anyway, logically, if it was so easy to just quit, people would just quit. It's not easy and the stigma of weakness, lack of character, etc., helps people justify being judgmental. My husband gets it but does not get into the detail that we do about, discussing all sorts of things. Another piece of The 30 day solution discusses our beliefs about drinking and reprogramming our subconscious, which is similar to the hypnosis CDs in MWO. Anyone with some time of sobriety under their belt begins to find joy in life, manage problems sensibly, explore new interests, and repair or change relationships. We see it on this site all the time.

Lav, I call people who suck the life out of you emotional vampires and do my best to protect my emotional self. Too bad. It is continuing to snow here, but not piling up badly or anything. Just kind of depressing. Mid February is hard.

Hey Pauly, 70 degrees? Lucky you. Hope you daughter gets her letter soon.

Cyn, hope you are doing well.

Have a good one.

Lavande
February 10th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Good morning friends on this Ash Wednesday!

I haven't received ashes sine I was last forced to do so by the nuns in school but I do reflect on this day.
I was super surprised to wake up & see it still snowing. I thought it had stopped overnight. Schools are opening 2 hours late around here. I think I am just staying home until this afternoon when I have to go meet EB at his bus stop. I am not a fan of walking on icy sidewalks.

Star, I will be seriously happy seeing the end of this month. One bright spot is my granddaughter's BD on the 26th. I am in the process of putting together her gift ;)

Hello to Dill, Cyn & Pauly!
I hope everyone has a good AF day!

Lav

paulywogg
February 10th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Morning friends, Lav,Bradys 18 th birthday is on the 26 too:) loved the pic of the dog and cat watching the snow haha,so in my paranoia to avoid artificial sweeteners I decided to ditch my morning protein powder and have some All one yesterday,shhesh!!! Now I remember why I quit using it,there is some ingredient or vitamin that does not agree with me,I was hot,my heart was racing,just too much something, I tossed it out which is sad cuz its not cheap but at least it was only half full,I always seem to forget why I quit using things,duh,yeah I shoulda used PayPal,I just wanted her to get the card we all signed and nobody likes a card unless money falls out haha,last night me and Louie were soooo tired,couldn't wait for Kell to get home,he kept dozing and I wanted to doze but of course when I went to bed I couldn't fall asleep,this body of mine is so bizarre sometimes, Star,don't let the weather get you down,soon we'll be whining that its too hot:) hello Cyn and Dill,off to dry my hair a task I HATE! hope we all have a productive,peaceful Wednesday:)

treegirl
February 10th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Morning all -

Sorry to be away yesterday. I had a chance to present my business ideas to someone who could be very helpful in getting the word out, and so spent all day refining my website and checking my materials, and getting my messaging on point. The dinner meeting went well, and I'll do a presentation to a larger group next week. Crossing fingers that this will finally be the real launch of my business.

Pauly - I totally agree - that is completely irresponsible behavior on TV! I think society turns a blind eye to the fact that AL affects everybody who drinks, not only people who suffer from the addiction part of it. Also, I couldn't believe that I heard an ad during the superbowl for some drug that helps with constipation when you are on opiates - really? There are so many people on opiates in this country that an ad for that made the superbowl? Scary...

Star - so glad that you are enjoying your piano search. You might also try Ebay, or talk to a good piano tuner in your area - they know people who are trying to sell their pianos. You should be able to get a good one at a good price...not so many people want them in their homes anymore, sad. I love that you will be bringing your family music!! And of course, learning to play the piano is one of the best things in terms of brain fitness. You've inspired me to find some old piano books for myself and to play our piano -- usually my husband's territory, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't do it to, right? (PS - way to go in helping the near-death person, and what a great success story. And I so admire all the personal work that you do - the ideas are all great.)

Dill - I get how judgementalism works when one is trying to walk away from AL... not helpful! I'm so glad that you had the resources in yourself to be your own support. Maybe Mr Dill will find some sympathy and understanding now with his cousin. Crossing fingers that the cousin will agree to go into rehab. And as far as your family goes, you have earned the Super-Momma Bear award!

Lav - makes me sad to hear how much you have to protect yourself. But thank goodness you have the skills and tools. And so sorry to hear about your brother - what a sad loss of life experience. Sending you lots of great energy to support you. Hope the snow doesn't stop your plans all day today. Can't wait to see what Miss Lilly is getting for this birthday!

Snowing here again! We'll be getting more inches all day today. I don't mind - when it clears up it's so sunny and beautiful and good chance to be outside. I wish I could find my ancient ski boots to go with my ancient x-country skis! I'd be out there in a second (except that I have a full day today, hmmmm). Sounds like we'll be in the DEEP freeze over the weekend, and then in the 40s again next week. Weird!

Happy belated Mardi Gras/Shrove Tuesday. And remembering Ash Wednesday as well, Lav. Let's focus on love and hearts and flowers for ourselves for the rest of the month. Light some candles! We can make it through the end of February, and then the end of winter is in sight... Take care all -

paulywogg
February 10th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Cyn,iseen that commercial too and they were trying to make it funny,I've met too many accidental opiate addicts while cutting hair,even when Kell was diagnosed with her back problem they immediately put her on Vicodin and when she tried to stop taking it she had withdrawal, just wonder what the future holds with that,yeah so to me these things are never funny:(

dill
February 10th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Hello All,

Pauly, I went on the dr.'s website and saw they had the clip about the marguerita segment there. I didn't watch the clip. I thought it was ridiculous and I don't think I'll ever watch that show again! So frustrating about the card to your daughter. I hope it shows up soon.

Cyn, fingers crossed for your business! I hope the presentation gets you where you want to go! I didn't see that commercial about the constipation related to opiate pain meds but we had discussed it here in my real world previously. I think it's time for the medical community to find better answers to chronic pain management. Haven't we learned our lessons yet? One of the most important issues in the New Hampshire primaries was opiate addictions and deaths in that state!

Lav, I like the "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust" ceremony of Ash Wednesday. I plan on going this evening. It is definitely something to reflect on whether one goes to a service or not. We only have this one brief life and we need to live our lives as if each day was our last.

Star, I haven't come up with a serious Lenten commitment. I'll reflect on it today. Thanks for sharing that story about the relative of a family member. Thank goodness they listened to you and sought immediate help! What a great outcome, altho I am sure it has not been an easy time for the one involved. May his recovery continue!

Lavande
February 10th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Man - it's freezing!!!!
But it stopped snowing so I am grateful.

Cyn, I wish you the best of luck in launching your new business :)
You are a dedicated & hard worker, everything should go your way I say!!!!

I've been meaning to mention for the past few days that LBH has been posting some awesome pictures from Hawaii on Facebook. She apparently is having a wonderful trip & is an awesome photographer!

Two sheriff's deputies were shot & killed this afternoon in a suburb of Baltimore, not very far from here. Such sad news & I am so sorry for their families. The dirtbag shooter had warrants out for him here & in FL. He was gunned down as well. This all took place at lunchtime inside a restaurant full of people.
People are just insane :(

SnoopyC
February 11th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Good morning...

Freezing cold here, the depths of winter. Snow expected over the weekend I think

Lav, I miss LBH, she was such a great addition to our site, good to hear she is enjoying herself. You have done a great job of self-care in your marriage, it is what it is, right?

Dill, I thought alot about Ash Wednesday, and saw on FB an old friend committed to going into her closed for 40 days, taking out something she has not worn for over a year and at the end of the 40 days, taking it all to Good Will for someone else to enjoy. I think we can all do that, I know I have tons of things in my closet I don't use. I want to work on patience and kindness, my idea is to do at least one kind and or patient action a day, hopefully building on it.

Cyn, how exciting for you to be building your business. Good luck and remember to take care of yourself.

Pauly, I saw that commercial too and thought it was really sad. The doctors get people addicted to opiates, then don't help their own patients. Our medical system is a mess.

Off to get ready for work. Have a good one.

Lavande
February 11th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Good morning friends, happy Thursday!

Guess what? It's not snowing, ha ha!!! Love the sunshine even if it is only 18 degrees!!!! I think we are supposed to be snow free until Monday & Tuesday.

Star, I don't think the pharmaceutical companies should be advertising anything on TV.
Ideally, patients should have a good rapport with their docs & discuss their concerns in the office (or online these days). You need to tell your doc that you are experiencing difficulty. They actually do not have mind reading capabilities, ha ha.

I took a break from Curves yesterday due to icy roads but will go back today.
Used my time wisely though to get a few things done around here :)

Wishing everyone a great AG day ahead!!

Lav

treegirl
February 11th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Morning all -

Lav, how frightening about the shootings in Baltimore. So sorry for those deputies' families. So many things seem like they are spiraling out of control... I just keep trying to think 'peace begins at home', and keep up with my meditation. Thanks for the heads-up about LBH. I don't know why I don't get to FB more regularly, but I appreciate your 'nudges'.

Star and Dill - thanks for the reminders of Lent. It is always good to have a goal, right? Kinder, gentler. I think my committment to meditation is paying off, at least in better perspective, and less reactiveness to things that come at me. BTW - the friend that is also doing a meditation plan along with me discovered an interesting thing when she went to the eye doctor. She has glaucoma, and has to be tested regularly -- when she went last week, her pressures were way down! We both think it is due to meditation. It was a good reminder to me that even though I may not notice effects right now (though I do), there are lots of things being restored on a cellular level. Our body/minds are amazing.

Pauly - Crossing fingers that your daughter gets her card. I managed to get Valentine packages off to my niece and nephew and their kids, and some cards to the 'elders' in my family. My mom used to always get packages off to the kids - they were heartbroken when she passed; 'no more gramma packages'! So I try to keep up the tradition. I'm thinking so much of my mom recently - in Feb 14, there was snow just like now, and I got a valentine's card off to her... she went into the hospital the next day, but she got my card. Lots of memories...

We're headed into the deep freeze this weekend, so I'm trying to finish up some winterizing that I skipped, since it seemed so warm! A couple of windows to 'mortite', and hopefully hem some curtains for the guest room. SD is coming this weekend - we'll try to make a festive valentine weekend. Hey Star - she's on Weight Watchers; any favorite recipes from that sight that I could make for her?

Wishing all a great AF Thursday --

paulywogg
February 11th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Morning friends,who's LBH? I miss a lot of people who used to be here:( Lav,I agree that pharmaceutical companies shouldn't advertise anything, I remember in the 90's the Zoloft ad with the sad little ball and after he took Zoloft he was happy,guess what I thought I wanted?also in the end it says stuff like"tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease before taking" uh shouldn't my doctor already know if I have a disease before prescribing? Stupid!Star,I think that's a great idea,I do the same but donate to the women and children's shelter,they've left an abusive situation with probably just the shirt on their back so I like to give my cute clothes to them,I tried some oatstraw again yesterday and everytime I've taken it,it makes me sick,but it is supposed to have all sorts of benefits,not for this chick I'm chucking it,hello to Cyn and Dill,let's make it a great Thursday:)

paulywogg
February 11th, 2016, 08:20 AM
X-Post Cyn, still no card:( hopefully it ends up back here like the one did last year

dill
February 11th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Hello Friends, really late check in for me. I got off to a running start today and didn't have my usual morning time with the computer. I had a great day tho.

Pauly, I remembered that you asked a couple of days ago about my ex-DIL and I'm sorry I forgot to respond. She is still hard to read for me. She says all the right things to me when ever we talk, but I never see any real signs that there is any truth to her words. I just hope for her sake that she is telling the truth and is in treatment and moving forward.

Have a peaceful night, all.

SnoopyC
February 12th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Good morning all...

Having a hard time waking up today, need more coffee. Ha! It is cold and snowy, busy at work so my day will fly by.

Lav, any plans this weekend?

Dill glad you had a good day. Sounds like you are reading your DIL correctly, so sad. She doesn't realize everyone has had to move on, without her. She is being left farther and farther behind.

Cyn, I found a good recipe to make but not from weight watchers. I couldn't find it but will look later today and post it. It does include a steak and bacon though, so I don't think it is for you. I decided I am going to cook at home too. My husband has the worst cold every and we don't need to wait in line and all that stuff. So, tomorrow I will find something and share with you.

Pauly, unbelievable about the card. Geez. I read on another thread you are giving up all artificial sweeteners and wonder how much better you are feeling? It is so scary what is pushed on us nutritionally. We really have to research and decide ourselves what it good for us, we can't trust the establishment. It is all guided by money and profit. Doing anything nice for Valentine's Day?

Off for another cup of coffee. Have a good one.

dill
February 12th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Hello All,

Yesterday at this time I was in the middle of making 3 casseroles and a batch of brownies to take over to my son's house. After fixing all those and doing a few other things around the house, I met my girlfriends for lunch. From there I drove to my son's. Mr. D decided to come along this time so I had company on the drive which was nice. We had a good visit with our son and went to a specialty electronics store that my hb needed to go to for some parts for one of his projects. Busy day.

For Lent I think I will focus on the positive by trying to be more patient with Mr. D. Recently I have found myself being very short with him so that will be my effort at self-improvement. Also, I will spend at least 20 minutes a day in meditation.

Pauly, LBH was one of our regular posters years ago. She was a very unique person with a quirky sense of humor and was a good writer. I too still miss her but it's nice to know she is healthy and enjoying life. Thanks for the update, Lav.

Star, are you doing anything special for Valentine's day. I don't have any special plans. It falls on the weekend so my granddaughter will be here. Maybe we'll bake together. Will you be seeing your grandson anytime soon?

Cyn, that was really interesting about your friends glaucoma improvement! I hope the trend continues. I'm glad the meditation practice is making you feel better too.

Lav, how awful about that shooting! I know it's a local story, but I would have thought that a story like that would have been on national news. If it was, I didn't see it.

Nothing on the horizon for today except maybe a walk. Have a great AF Friday everyone!

Lavande
February 12th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Good morning friends, happy Friday to all!

It's sunny & 7 degrees here - COLD!!!
It's supposed to get even colder over the course of the weekend too.

My plans for the weekend mainly involve getting my granddaughter here on Sunday so she can stay overnight & spend Monday with me. I guess I will be in the kitchen figuring out what to feed everyone as usual. I spent some time yesterday baking heart shaped cut out cookies for the kids. I bought cute little Valentine's boxes (look like Chinese takeout boxes). I think they will be happy with their cookie & Hershey Kisses treat boxes :heart:

Star, I hope your day goes quickly. Be safe on the roads.

Dill, are you getting this artic air too? Incredibly cold!!!

Cyn, I hope you are staying warm too during this cold streak ;)

Pauly, I have never been able to use artificial sweeteners, they always gave me headaches. When they came out with NutraSweet I figured I would try it in diet Coke. It didn't bother me so I drank diet Coke until I had my accident/head injury 15 years ago. Long story but I was unable swallow anything carbonated afterwards. So I have had to stick with unsweetened iced tea or water ever since. I make a lot of herbal flavored teas at home & use a lot of lemons, ha ha!! All of the recent research shows that artificial sweeteners contribute to leaky gut syndrome. Now that's another reason for me to stay away from them.

OK, I need to go check on my chickens & make sure they didn't freeze together overnight or anything.

Lav

treegirl
February 12th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Hi all - busy day here. I just sat down for my second cup of tea of the day...

Pauly - Good for you for ditching the artificial sweeteners! No good! As Lav said, there's a connection to Leaky Gut, and also they are really bad for the brain. So sorry about the card... hope it shows up soon.

Lav - so sorry about the cold - how did your chickens do? I can't imagine having anything in a non-heated area with this cold. Although, after 25 years in the upper midwest, to me a couple of days below zero doesn't seem like it's too horrible. I guess it's the wind chills that are going to be deadly this time.

Dill - wow, you are super-grandma! What a lovely thing to do for your son and gkids. Sounds like a ton of work. I hope that you had some time to yourself today. What a nice Lenten thought to take up for the next weeks... I'm sure that meditation will help as well. I feel as if I am becoming less 'reactive' - I used to have quite the trigger-hair reactions (even when I mostly kept them to myself!) Good luck.

Star - sorry HB has a bad cold - take all of your stuff so you stay well! Thanks for thinking about the recipe. When I hadn't heard back from SD about what she wanted, I just googled some sites that have recipes and the 'point' system included. I found a 'skinny chicken enchiladas' recipe - only 3 points, and the chicken is done in the slow cooker, so hopefully I won't have to do to much cooking. I did find the WW brownie recipe, so I'll probably make those too, since it's Valentine's Day. We always try to make it a festive time for SD, as she doesn't have anyone in her life right now.

PS Lav - thanks so much for turning me on to Pinterest! It was so easy to send the recipe to SD - I pinned it, then emailed it to her. She replied right away. And what cute boxes you fixed for the kiddies - they will be so excited.

Well, all the planning, plus grocery shopping, taking wood and kindling over to my dear neighbor, feeding my dogs their 4th meal of the day and feeding the birds (before it gets too cold) took up all of my day, aaargh. (though I meditate early early first thing so that I get it in). So now it's time to clean off the dining room table (taxes spread all over it) and get ready for Mr Tree's arrival back home. Shoot, I was on a roll with the taxes -- hope I get some more done over the weekend.

Wishing all a great AF Friday night - take care, stay well and stay warm!

SnoopyC
February 13th, 2016, 06:01 AM
Good morning all...

Wow, everyone is so productive, that is great!

Cyn, here is a great recipe I may make for Valentine's Day, I am ditching the steak and bacon idea. I feel better when I eat light. She posts lots of great recipes, and she is a super good cook. Enjoy. How nice of you to make Valentine's Day Special for SD. Very sweet. I keep telling myself, cause it is true, I have a strong immune system, regarding everyone's colds, viruses, etc. Also, lots of hand washing and water drinking.
Healthy and Easy Chicken Marsala...A One Pot Meal - Girl and the Kitchen (http://girlandthekitchen.com/healthy-and-easy-chicken-marsala/) I know this calls for wine but I always buy cooking wine, and use the entire little bottle, it cooks away and is not something to drink, at least for me. I don't know if that is acceptable to you but it is a delicious recipe.

Dill, wow, busy lady! No special plans for Valentine's Day, although my husband sent me flowers, which I love, especially at this time of year, when it is freezing and gloomy. We may drive over to see grandson tomorrow after we go piano shopping. My daughter does not seem to mind having us over to dinner so it is fine with me. Both he and my husband have had colds, so we have to see how everyone is feeling.

Lav, hope you are staying warm, it is no easy task in this below freezing weather. February is almost half over, thank goodness.

Pauly, working today? Anything special planned for the weekend?

I am going to exercise, plan meals, shop, then come home and clean. My house is not that dirty, so it is not a big deal. We keep it picked up so a little dusting, vacuuming, and kitchen and bathroom clean up and I am done for the week. I like having a smaller house, it makes it much easier. Have a good one.

Lavande
February 13th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Good morning friends, happy Saturday!

Still freezing but sunny :)
The chickens were fine yesterday, haven't been out to them yet this morning. They really handle this extreme cold weather quite well but I still worry a little.

Star, your chicken dish looks good. I can't use cooking wine because of the salt content though & I won't buy a bottle of wine. I just searched & found this:
Non-Alcoholic Marsala Substitute

Although most of the alcohol is evaporated during the cooking process, some people prefer to cook without using Marsala due to its alcohol content. According to the Reluctant Gourmet, you can use this non-alcoholic substitute:
•1/4 cup of white grape juice
•1 tablespoon vanilla extract
•2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
I just may give this a try ;) I hope you enjoy your weekend!

Cyn, I really need to finish gathering my tax stuff too. I am a total procrastinator, ha ha! Maybe I will give myself a kick in the pants & get it done today......maybe. I hope you have a good weekend & stay warm!

Dill, it's great to cook for the kids & grandkids as long as we have some extra time. I am always cooking extra to send home with my daughter, she's been so busy with school. I had to smile when you mentioned wanting to be extra patient with Mr D.
I have been having nightmares about YB's upcoming retirement this spring. He has been moping around & basically getting on my nerves lately. I still feel the need to protect my mood & personal space so I really hope he's pulls himself out of his self-imposed funk. I will treat him with respect, I always have but he needs to do the work on his moods & thinking. I can't let him throw me down the well again.

Pauly, how's life in your 70 degree weather??
You asked about LBH. LadyBirdHeart was one of our regular posters here years ago. She's a wonderful, kind hearted soul. I keep in touch with her on Facebook.

OK, time to go check on my birds!

Lav

paulywogg
February 13th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Hello friends, I swore I posted yesterday, read back and realized I hadn't,what a lazy bum! This chicken Marsala recipe sounds amazing, I looove mushrooms and was actually gonna Google a non-wine version but forgot,thanks for the post Star:) I'm like Lav though and will not buy al,actually when we did our beer batter fry on new years I used sprite,to me its just a mind thing plus I gave the al industry too much of my money over the years I'm not giving them anymore haha,I've read Ladybirds posts before,that goes way back,Dill,I do hope ex DIL is getting treatment but like you said who knows for sure, I was reading around the boards and in a thread a group was saying they"hope" they'll be AF in a month or two and I thought what's hope?we have to "do" not "hope" I hoped for too many years:( Cyn,I don't even want to think about taxes right now,grrrrr,speaking of Kell got her refund back and treated us both to new pairs of scissors for work:) excited to try them today,Louie kept saying that they were going later to what sounded like"diareah" I was like?? I guess he was saying"pizzeria" Hahahaha! Ugh gotta dry my hair,hope we all have a super Saturday:)

Lizann
February 13th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Just reading around the boards this morning and this recipe I will definitely try! Thanks

dill
February 13th, 2016, 12:26 PM
I agree Lizann, that recipe looks YUMMY! Thanks Star!

Yes Lav, I am in the arctic freeze zone and not liking it one bit! I was getting really spoiled by our mild winter. But, from what I can tell, our temps will moderate this coming week and we are even supposed to maybe get up to the 50's on Friday! Fingers crossed!

Star, I have always thought that alcohol cooks off or evaporates during cooking but when I was looking up alternatives I found info that says differently. Here's the link: Alcohol Doesn't Really "Cook Out" of Food in Most Cases (http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/11/alcohol-doesnt-really-cook-out-of-food-in-most-cases/) Of course if you have no problems eating foods cooked with alcohol, that's great! IMO it isway different than pouring a glass of wine while cooking, which inevitably leads to drinking a whole bottle or two.:egad:

This link gave similar info but also gave suggested substitutes for various types of alcohol in recipes if one doesn't want to take the risk of using alcohol: Alcohol in Cooking - Food Reference Kitchen Tips (http://www.foodreference.com/html/talcoholincooking.html) The suggested substitute for marsala was orange, peach or pear juice. Interesting.

Pauly, looks like sprite was a good alternative for your beer battered fry. Ginger ale was the suggestion on that foodreference website.

Cyn, shoot! Did you have to remind me of taxes! LOL! So sweet of you and Mr. Tree doing something festive for SD. How old is SD? I hope she finds someone to share her life with.

Off to pick up granddaughter. Have a great af Saturday everyone.

treegirl
February 13th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Hi all -

Star - thanks for the recipe, looks great! Thanks everyone for the substitution ideas as well, and the sites. Always wonderful to have these tools at the ready.

Dill - have fun with gdaughter -- I hope you don't get worn out!

Lav - oh no, nightmares!! I think you should suggest that he builds a 'tiny house' on the property and he can live there and visit you when he can be nice. Otherwise you're going to have to smudge that house everyday! I'm glad that you have your emotional safety at the top of your 'protect this' list.

Pauly - how sweet of Kell to get you both new scissors! I hope you had a good time using them today.

Lizann - nice to see you here - welcome!

Well, I did the morning cooking, got the dogs covered, then made minestrone for lunch. Got the skinny chicken enchiladas started in the slow cooker. Off now to make WW brownies for our V's Day dinner. (BTW, SD is 45! It's complicated, but no, she's not in a relationship... we don't see her as often now as we used to, and we're trying to support her weight-loss efforts, so it's all good for us to have a festive meal together.)

Hope everyone has a great AF evening, and stays warm!

dill
February 14th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Arctic Air Greetings from frigid southern Ohio! I thought I'd pop on here before the little one wakes up.

Cyn, I think it is fantastic that SD is going to WW. I hope she keeps it going and starts to feel better. It's great of you and Mr. T to plan a menu that celebrates her positive food choices. Mr. D is trying to change his diet too. We never did sign on to the WW, but he is trying to cut back on fats and acid producing foods. He want to get off the acid blocking medication he has been on for years. He has been experiencing a rebound effect tho and it has been rough going so far.

Pauly, I agree with you about "hoping to be af". That won't work. I used to listen to a radio shrink named Dr. Laura. She frequently declared, "Wishing, hoping, wanting; none of it has power." Doing has power. But we all were stuck in the hoping stage for a long time, at least I know I was.

Uh oh, I hear the patter of little feet!
Star, Lav, Lizann, have a great AF Sunday.

SnoopyC
February 14th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Good morning...

Lav, thanks for the alcohol substitutes, I did not know they existed and will definitely use them. I did not end of making that recipe, instead made seafood and this great asparagus recipe: You searched for asparagus - Girl and the Kitchen (http://girlandthekitchen.com/?s=asparagus)
It was delicious. YB retiring sounds like a bad idea, for him and you. Yikes, what can you do? Encourage him to keep working? My husband would not know what to do with himself too, his work is his identity, like many men. Good you are considering this now to get a plan. :)

Dill, thanks too for the substitute ideas, I will try them. Hope you and granddaughter had fun! I am sick of this cold too. I was happy to hear that the forecast predicts a warm up. Yay!!!

Pauly, good idea about the sprite, I have never heard of this before. How sweet of your daughter to think of you.

Cyn, sounds like you cooked up a storm. I did too and it was fun. Today, Healthy Italian Wedding Soup, I bet it will really hit the spot today. I think that Valentine's Day makes people without a partner conscious of it, and I was a little worried about my son, but he is a big boy and there is nothing I can do. This is funny, I bought my husband a Valentine's Day Balloon and my kitty chewed the attached string, where it floated to the ceiling! Geeze, I have to keep my flowers at work, now the balloon too.

Hope you all have a great Sunday, peaceful and warm.

Lavande
February 14th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Good morning friends, happy V day to all :heartbeat:

It takes about 5 minutes for my granddaughter to wake up & turn into full bubbly mode, ha ha!! It's going to be a long & busy day.

Hi there Lizann, nice to see you!

Dill, looks like our days will be very similar today :)
We woke up to 3 degrees this morning with the promise of a few inches of snow tomorrow ~ swell. Stay warm & have fun today.

Star, there's not much I can do about YB & his decision making. I really don't care if he retires or continues working. I just want him to take responsibility for his moods & subsequent behaviors. I am seriously sick of dealing with his ego. Time to grow the hell up I say ;) His brother stopped by yesterday unexpectedly & I don't know why. He hasn't been here since right after we moved in 13 years ago. They really should rekindle some sort of relationship especially since losing their other brother. Such a difficult family dynamic.

Cyn, I hope you have a nice V day with SD!
I have a WW cookbook with some great recipes. I still make their chicken or turkey tetrazzini, yum :)

OK, I need to feed doggies then check on my chickens.
Have a wonderful AF day everyone!

Lav

paulywogg
February 14th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Morning friends and Happy Valentine's day:) please share the recipes,don't be greedy!haha,I really need to get on the ball with some healthy dinners,our standby is just baked chicken when I'm trying to cook healthy, so the other day when Kell and I drove out to the beauty supply store,we had taken my Durango that has a tow hitch on the back and while she was buckling Lou into his carseat I was screwing around with a dollar bill he gave me not paying attention to where I was going and walked right into the tow hitch full on,omg,I haven't felt pain like that in a looong time I got in the car and was crying so hard Kell thought I was laughing, you know that pulsating pain? Ugh,so now there's a huge bruise on my shin,it still hurts and so I haven't been getting any exercise in:( hope its better tomorrow, big hugs and hellos to all,I hope we all make it a great day:)

treegirl
February 14th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Evening all -

Yep, cooked up a storm, whew! But I'm doing better at asking for help - got SD to do some chopping and mixing, and HB is getting to be a great dish dryer - he even knows where to put things away! Major.

SD is being vigilant about points, so it was good that I found WW recipes. The slow cooker Chicken Enchilada was great! I was so happy, because there is no great Mexican food around here, and I have really been craving it. This recipe was super-easy; I recommend chopping up all the toppings ahead, and then basically you are done. (One serving is 4 points on the new system):Slow Cooker Skinny Chicken Enchiladas Recipe | Tone and Tighten (http://tone-and-tighten.com/2013/11/slow-cooker-skinny-chicken-enchiladas-recipe.html) Also made WW brownie bites (OK, not fabulous), and this morning did mini-omelets in muffin tins: Loaded Baked Omelet Muffins | Skinnytaste (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2016/02/loaded-baked-omelet-muffins.html) . SD says that Skinny Taste has the best tasting WW recipes. As I was stumbling around looking for things, I found a great site for those of us that don't want to spend a ton of time - they give you the times up front, and even tho it's a vegetarian site, the stuff looks great: egg and banana pancakes (1 egg, 2 bananas, 10 minutes)! All Recipes (http://hurrythefoodup.com/category/recipes/)

OK, obviously a lot of my life is about food -- dear me! Anyway, wishing all a great AF Valentine's evening - and be sure to give yourselves a lot of LOVE!

Lavande
February 14th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Guess what? I told my granddaughter to go to bed at 9 pm & she did, no arguments, haha!!!
I read a short book to her & now I am sitting in front of a warm fire :)

Pauly, OUCH :(
I do dumb sh*t like that all the time, I feel for you! I hope you have iced it & elevated it too to prevent too much swelling. Those are the kind of things that literally make you 'see stars'. Ibuprofen helps too.

Cyn, I made a dairy free chicken tetrazzini tonight using cashew milk, everyone oved it & had no idea. The recipe called for 1/4 cup of white wine. I substituted 2 Tbsp of white wine vinegar & 2 Tbsp of chicken broth & it worked perfectly. I keep red wine vinegar, plum vinegar & several others in my pantry as well. Glad you found a good recipe for the family ;)

More snow on the way, not thrilled.
Peace to all tonight!

Lav

SnoopyC
February 15th, 2016, 06:12 AM
Good morning all...

We got about 5 inches of snow, they don't plow here for some weird reason, so driving to work will be an adventure. Our plans were cancelled yesterday due to snow, stayed in and ate soup! :) Have a good one.

Lavande
February 15th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Good Monday morning friends!

The snow is just starting here, hope we don't get too much. I have to get my granddaughter home at some point.

Star, 5 inches & no plowing? Wow! I hope you have a safe trip to work!

Greetings to Dill, Cyn & Pauly.
I hope everyone is well & has a wonderful AF President's day ;)

Lav

paulywogg
February 15th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Morning friends,Cyn,thanks for those links both recipes sound easy and good:) I'm gonna try the omelet one cuz I can never get my omelets to look right,they just turn out like chunky heaps of scrambled eggs:( hubs'always turn out perfect when he does them not fair,Star,your day of staying in and eating soup sounds relaxing at least,hubs grilled chicken breasts and shish kabobs yesterday, it was 75 again and its supposed to hit 80 on Wednesday! Yeah,its nice but I see a looooong feeling summer and horrible allergy season coming up, Lav,its great your granddaughter went to bed at 9 without a fight,when mine were little I always had them on a strict bedtime, these parents these days.don't seem to,Louie stays up til 11 some nights and 2 of my coworkers have 4 year olds and they stay up til midnight, I dunno to me that just doesn't seem healthy but not my kids so whatevs, Dill,whatcha got planned for today? I'm working and hubs and Brady are off luckies!! Hope we all have a great Monday:)

treegirl
February 15th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Morning friends -

Lav - good news about your gdaughter! Your fire time sounded nice and cozy. Now that I don't have to cook for SD, I'll get my head back around to GF, DF and no refined sugar recipes again. Too many food issues around here! But we got a great text from SD this morning, thanking us for cooking and being supportive - she lost 2 more pounds, and is wearing a pair of pants she hasn't worn in a year. So that feels good to all of us.

Pauly - meant to say earlier that I'm so sorry for your painful accident... I hope that you will be OK today at work with all the standing - good luck and try to put your leg up when you can. PS - the recipe says 'omelet', but it's really just eggs and a bunch of finely chopped vegies, bacon and a little cheese that gets baked in muffin tins. Good to grab and go with, or just a quick heat-up for brekkie. They are supposed to freeze well also. The recipe makes 12 muffins (small though...)

Star - sorry about the snow and no plowing - sheesh! I'm getting the snow today from you and Lav - thanks so much (ha!). I don't mind the snow, and we have great plowing here, but I could do without the minus 14 degrees. It's supposed to do a major-league warm up this week, very weird!

Off to a busy day of work for me - happy AF President's Day to all --

paulywogg
February 15th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Cyn,I seen the pic but honestly they'll at least look edible unlike my "omelets" haha

dill
February 15th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Late check in here. One night turned into two with gdaughter as the roads turned really bad on Sunday night with the snow storm and on top of that my son was having car trouble. So, instead of our original plan of swapping out granddaoughter for grandson, we ended up keeping granddaughter and then driving her back home late today. After that it was a trip to the hospital to visit Mr. D's cousin. We are just in and finally winding down.

Everyone sounds good and/or busy. Sorry about your shin bone Pauly! That must have hurt like the dickens! Thanks for the recipes Cyn and Star. Lav, I hope you didn't get hit too hard with the snow. It only amounted to about 5 inches here, but during the height of it the wind was fierce!

Goodnight from foggy southern Ohio. The temps have risen and the fog rolled in. Quite beautiful with the snow I must say.

paulywogg
February 15th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Its 77 degrees at 5 pm here right now yikes! Had Lou and his dad popped in,I guess he quit his job in the heat of the moment, oh hoo,Kells gonna be pissed!

Lavande
February 15th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Well, looks like my granddaughter is spending night #3 here, ha ha!!
We only got a few inches of snow but then we ended up with a thin, slippery layer of ice on top of that. Accidents & reduced speeds being reported all over. I'll will just wait & take her home tomorrow afternoon.

So much for plans, huh Dill? Ha ha!
I hope your cousin is doing better at this point.
I imagine I will be seeing a lot of fog tomorrow too. It's supposed to rain & head up to 50!!!! Crazy!

Cyn, creative cooking is what we do!
Trying to meet the dietary needs of a small crowd can really keep you busy, don't you think?
I hope you stay nice & warm.

Pauly, I always pushed to keep regular bedtimes when my kids were small. They just get too cranky when they are overtired. My grandkids get plenty of spoiling when they are here but when it's bedtime, they have to go to bed, ha ha!
I hope your leg is OK.

Have a peaceful night everyone!

SnoopyC
February 16th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Good morning...

The main roads were plowed, the temp went above freezing as the day went on and it was fine driving to work. So, my Monday went well, and now it is Tuesday. Busy day at work, a few meetings and a training later in the day. That will break things up and go fast. I made chili last night and it really hit the spot. I use ground turkey instead of beef and it is alot lighter. Stopped by and saw my son after work, he had a few interviews, hope they went well. He wants to work and get started with his life and I don't blame him. I remember looking for work a few years ago, it was very challenging to say the least. :)

Lav and Dill, nice you had your granddaughters an extra night, better safe than sorry with the snow and blowing. Still cold and damp here today, nice on Friday, at least that is the prediction, which they keep changing around.

Cyn, sweet of you to make special recipes, and fun too. Good to hear your SD is getting healthy and proud of it. We all feel better when we engage in self-care.

Pauly, bad idea to quit job in heat of the moment, I have felt like that in the past but always calmed myself down and waited it out. Yikes, yes, drama for your daughter. Not always easy to find a job, especially if you burned bridges. Hope your leg is feeling better.

Have a great Tuesday.

Lavande
February 16th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Good morning friends, happy Tuesday!

Yesterday's snow has turned into rain today & it's warming up to 54 degrees later. How crazy is that?
Everything is pretty icy now, schools are opening late & all that. I will be happy to see the end of winter. Not sure yet about my granddaughter's trip home yet, I will figure it out.

Star, glad you got around safely yesterday. I hope your son hears something about a job soon, that's rough.

Hello to Dill, Cyn & Pauly!
Have a great AF day everyone & I'll probably stop back later.

Lav

paulywogg
February 16th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Hello friends, just a quick hello from me today,slept horribly and trying to get going,have a terrific Tuesday:)

dill
February 16th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Hello friends, looks like we are going to have just a couple more days of clouds and cold but heading towards some really nice temps at the end of the week! Yay!

I have been feeding the birds this winter. I had gone a few years without feeding our fine feathered friends, because I was tired of battling with raccoons and squirrels. But I just couldn't resist it this year what with the grand kids being here so often. And then I came across a squirrel proof feeder! It seems to really work, too. But, I became puzzled because my feeder was emptying so fast. It might be half full at sunset but at sunrise...empty. No sign of raccoons. Then a couple mornings ago while gdaughter was here, the mystery was solved. We went to look out the window early one morning to watch the birds when to our surprise we saw two deer taking their turns at the feeder! LOL! The feeder was not deer proof! HA! It was magical tho seeing them up so close to the house. I don't think gdaughter will forget that anytime soon. Our solution was simply to put the feeder up higher. My seed is lasting much longer now!;)

Lav, Pauly, Cyn and Star, I hope you all have peaceful af nights.

SnoopyC
February 17th, 2016, 05:59 AM
Good morning...

Lav, the weather was milder yesterday, so hopefully it is coming your way. Sunny and in the high 30s, woohoo! It is truly winter if I am excited about that. My son came over for dinner last night and we brainstormed about 25 businesses he can explore and see if they have work he might be interested in. I know there is a job out there for him, he just has to find it. I was talking to a friend and she reminded me that it took her a few months to find a job, about two years ago, so I have to be realistic, it can take time. Looking back it took me two months, too. Hope your granddaughter was able to get home to mom and dad.

Dill, feeding the birds is so much fun, I used to experiment with different feeders, too. We used to get lots of deer at our old house, they are so beautiful. Probably hungry now too. How fun for your and your granddaughter to see all the wildlife. Very excited today, getting my piano. I ordered some basic piano music on line, it will get here tomorrow, so downloaded some sheet music for free from the internet. Looking forward to coming home from work today!

Pauly, hope you slept better last night.

Hello to Cyn. To everyone, Happy Hump Day!

paulywogg
February 17th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Morning friends, Dill,that's awesome to have seen the deer up close like that:) Star,I love when the birds come around too,I just throw bread in the backyard and different ones pop in,I love when I'm out back and a hummingbird zooms in,makes me feel like its a sign that I'm being blessed,that's kinda weird sounding haha,Lou's dad got his job back,he does work really hard for them,especially running the whole shop on the weekend opening til closing by himself so I think they realized nobody else is gonna do that,I've got my 3 books here I need to start but once I start I'll be in lala land til they're done,maybe read and take breaks but that's soooo hard! Hello Lav and Cyn,hope we all have a nice Wednesday:)

Lavande
February 17th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Good morning friends, happy Hump day too!

Oh boy, heading up to the mid 40's today & 60 on the weekend, woo hoo :)
We had a super heavy rain yesterday morning which cleared the roads, nice. I was able to go meet my daughter at the halfway point for a late lunch & granddaughter transfer. Everything worked out just fine.

Dill, deer at the bird feeder? That's unusual but fun to see I imagine.
I don't know where the deer have been hiding, haven't seen them lately. They sure do make a mess of our veggie gardens in the summer but they are fun to watch ;)

Star, congrats on your new piano! I hope it's something the whole family will enjoy. Did you go with the electronic?
Glad you were able to help your son think about possible employers. My son-in-law worked with a 'head hunter' to help him find his current job, just a thought.

Cyn & Pauly I hope you are both well.
I am returning to my semi-normal routine today & starting out with a trip to Curves.

Lav

paulywogg
February 17th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Do any of you take fish oil? I used to but stopped I keep reading that its beneficial but they say that about everything these days

time2quit
February 17th, 2016, 09:00 AM
I use to as well pauly. Haven't for years. I read a lot of contradicting info. I do know if you do take it pay close attention to the source and type of fish. Generally you want it to come from small fish as they don't collect as many toxins i.e. mercury. I myself prefer to just eat fish non farm raised. Even tinned if it is the right kind and sourced right.

treegirl
February 17th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Hello all -

Quick hop-on; I tripped over my laptop cord yesterday and sent myself and the laptop flying. I'm OK, but the laptop is questionable. I just now got on the internet. AAAAArgh, in the middle of taxes. Quicken is glacial - I'm about to tear my hair out. Oh well. Keep breathing, right?

Humongous storms yesterday - more like a typhoon than a rain storm - winds blowing at 55 mph for hours, eeeek. Then I called dear neighbor to see if she was OK, and to check on the condition of her basement. She hadn't checked, but when she did, there was an inch of water, and more water gushing through a basement window. Long story short, I went over and helped her and she got it under control and cleaned up. She said: 'I have just one word about this experience: CONDO!" She's over being a homeowner, and I can't say as I blame her!

More soon when I get a little more caught up --- hope all are well -- Star, congrats on the piano!

SnoopyC
February 18th, 2016, 06:25 AM
Good morning...

Love the piano, a 1983 Storey and Clark upright, a beautiful piece of furniture. I bought it from a family owned business, they deliver and have a piano tuner come out in about two weeks after it settles. I was attempting to play last night, it was fun. I love it and feel very lucky. We also had painters over as we have to have our house repainted inside, the previous owners used white flat paint and it is already a mess, so next week will be crazy with painters over at 7:30 a.m and my house a mess, but well worth it in the end, right?

Cyn, so sorry you fell, that is really scary. Are you OK? I am so glad I don't have a basement anymore, although it didn't leak, that would be a nightmare. I bet it smells fishy after it dries, what a mess. I like being in a house though, after five months in an apartment, I think I'll stay for the time being. I really appreciate the benefits of privacy and more room.

Pauly, the only vitamin I ever take is the All-one that I originally found on here, or the LIV 52, from Dr. Sandra Cabot, which is a combo multi vitamin and liver tonic. I tried to take other vitamins in the past, including fish oil, but immediatel started getting headaches and listened to my body and quit. Mostly I try and eat well, lots of protein and veggies and sunflower seeds. Not a big fruit fan, myself. Oh, and at least 6 glasses of water a day. My husband takes many vitamins and swears they make him feel more energetic. I guess it depends on the person. So glad to hear daughter's BF kept his job. My son is still looking really hard. I had a nightmare last night that I was going to get fired for a weird reason (going to work naked!) and was so happy when I woke up and realized it was not true. Aren't dreams weird?

Dill, hope things are going well. We are in for some lovely weather the next few days, and I plan on being outside a bit if it turns out to be true. Have a good one .

dill
February 18th, 2016, 06:28 AM
Good morning Friends, sorry I missed posting yesterday. I bet I'll be cross posting with Star this morning.

Star, congrats on the piano! How fun!

Pauly, I don't take fish oil. Like you, I used to, but I have decided that eating a balanced diet is the best approach unless the doc specifically tells me I need a supplement. My eye doctor suggested I take it to aleviate my dry eyes symptoms, so I did but I never found it to make an improvement really. So I just use drops when I need to.

Cyn, sorry about your fall. I hope you aren't hurting from it. It definitely would not be a good time for your laptop to give up the ghost, right in the middle of tax prep! Yiiikes!

Lav, the deer don't bother our veggie garden so much because Mr. D puts an electric wire around it. But they sure do get into our fruit trees! I guess all your deer came here to visit for a while because I have seen loads and loads of them and of course as I think I mentioned, I even hit one while driving a month ago. (Car is fixed now). My neighbor hit one last week. Actually, the deer hit him! It cam out of the woods and ran into the driver side door and front panel. Fortunately he was ok but his brand new car wasn't!

Hello t2q and welcome!

dill
February 18th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Star, we did indeed cross post! The piano sounds just perfect! I'm excited for you! And yes, the temporary mess while painting will be worth it. I think it is great to be able to hire someone to do it. We always do our own painting. Are you going to use a semigloss? Are you going with color or just an off white.?

paulywogg
February 18th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Morning friends,Cyn,yikes!luckily you weren't hurt,Star,I was gonna ask the same question as Dill,what color? I hate flat paint,it gets dirtylooking quick and over the years gets chalky,the girls at work had a "painting party"(booze and paint) at the shop a few years ago and used matte white paint,its so ugly,makes it look dull in the shop I said they shoulda used semi gloss at least, easier to clean,I agree that I'll probably skip the fish oil obviously there's a reason I quit taking it, I just worry cuz I don't eat fish and I know its important for those omegas,Lav,can you recommend a good probiotic, I'm taking trubiotics now,I started taking it in the morning instead,hope everyone has a great Thursday:)

Lavande
February 18th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Good Thursday morning friends,
I'm in granddaughter-land once again :)
Nice to drive in the daylight for a change. Driving northeast into the sun though creates other issues ;)

Cyn, tripping over laptop cords......you sound just like me, I do it all the time. Glad you are OK! I think my Cutves workouts have strengthened my legs, I can recover my balance much easier, ha ha!!! We really do have to be aware of safety, clear walkways, etc.
I am grateful to have a very dry basement. We have had damp basements in other houses, what a pain. Sorry your neighbor has to deal with that.

The piano sounds great Star, enjoy :)
We have never paid anyone to paint or hang wallpaper in our houses. Sounds like a good idea though, I just don't have much ambition for that stuff anymore.

Dill, sorry the deer have all moved to your yard, ha ha!
I am sure they will be back once my garden is planted, Lol

Pauly, I have tried fish oil supplements over the years but they all irritated my GI system. I have taken to buying whole flax seeds & grinding them in my coffee grinder. Then you can sprinkle it on cereal, salads, etc. I toss some in pancakes, waffles, bread dough, brownies, etc.
you can also buy flax oil (refrigerated) but it's pretty expensive. There's lots of ways to get your Omega 3 when you don't eat fish.
I have tried several probiotics over the years. I have been using TruNature for a while now & get it thru Amazon. You can take it twice/day until you feel better, then drop down to once/day, that's what I do. I take one with breakfast & one with dinner.
I take more vitamin/mineral supplements than I would like to but getting all the nutrients we need thru food is difficult especially when certain foods are no longer consumed. I keep reading about poor soil quality producing veggies with less than stellar nutrient content.

We have been talking to our Amish friend quite a bit about this subject. He works with the Penn State co-op service & has been getting info on how to keep the nutrients in the soil on his farm. Better farming practices for better nutrient quality in the veggies. Organic veggies are the way to go if possible.

Lav

SnoopyC
February 19th, 2016, 05:36 AM
Good morning all...

Friday seems to have come quickly again, yay! It is supposed to get into the 60s today, so excited! The colors I chose are pastels, a satin paint in the living room, Bermuda Sand and a light blue green for a couple of accent walls. All the trim and doors will be repainted in an Ultra White, so it will be bright, clean, and I can actually clean the walls if I have to. Oh, semi-gloss in the bathroom and kitchen, doors and trim. I can't even clean what I have now, it didn't even last a year. Going cheap is not cheap in the end.

Lav, lucky you to have so much grandparent time. What do probiotics do? Thanks for the name brand, I have a friend who just asked me a good probiotic brand. I will pass on your suggestion.

Dill, we have to get out and enjoy this weather, at least a little, spring IS coming, right? I have been playing the piano, a little rusty, OK, alot rusty, but so what, it is fun.

Pauly, I don't know much about omega threes, I do have flax seed but always forget to use it. :) For me, eating a balanced diet and being OK emotionally helps me to feel healthy, I don't really worry about vitamin deficiencies.

Hope everyone has a fulfilling Friday.

dill
February 19th, 2016, 06:55 AM
Hello Friends,
Star, yes! we are supposed to have 3 days of really nice temperatures! I saw the tips of my daffodils pushing thru the soil, so it's all good. I was at the grocery in the produce department when I came across a small rosemary plant in a 3 inch pot. I snatched it up, brought it home and repotted it. It will be in my herb garden come May! Oh, and your colors sound lovely.

Pauly, lol, a painting party including booze! That would have sounded like a good idea to me a few years ago! Not anymore. That plan would end in disaster! I was reading about probiotics yesterday and how hard it is to get them thru the stomach (acid environment) and to the colon without being destroyed. The article I was reading suggested taking them on an empty stomach and accompanied with a glass of bicarbonate of soda to reduce the stomach acid temporarily. There is also something called a prebiotic which is basically something that the gut flora feeds on which helps your gut flora to flourish. It easily gets thru the stomach without being destroyed.

Lav, have you any comments about prebiotics? I hadn't heard of them before I read about them yesterday. I think people eat too many processed foods and we lose the natural prebiotics we could get thru a good diet. Mr. D is trying to wean himself off of proton pump inhibitors. It turns out there is a rebound effect with those so when you stop taking them the symptoms are actually worse than before taking them for at least a period of 3 weeks. He is really miserable right now, in his first week.

Cyn, I hope you and your laptop are recovered. I am looking out and east window at the moment and the sky is just glowing with early morning promise of sun. Yesteray was sunny too. What a difference it made in my mood! "Too the light!"

I hope we all have sunshine today. Happy af Friday!

paulywogg
February 19th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Morning friends,just a quick hello as I woke up and fell asleep again, so unlike me,I just take the probiotic with food hope its ok,have a lovely Friday:)

Lavande
February 19th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Greetings friends!

I was itchy to leave the house this morning so I am just now stopping to say hello while I eat lunch :)

Star, your color scheme sounds very pretty, save us a pic when it's done!
Have fun with your piano this weekend.

I think the best information about prebiotics can be found here-
The Best Prebiotic Foods for Optimal Digestive Health | One Green Planet (http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/best-prebiotic-foods-for-optimal-digestive-health/)
I use garlic & onion in my everyday cooking. I make sure to use lots of fermented foods (non-dairy for me).
Americans have a crappy diet filled with chemical preservatives, artificial flavors & colors. We take too many antibiotics & other Rx meds that destroy our normal gut flora. The majority of our immune system lives in our gut (good bacteria, bad bacteria). When we disrupt the balance in there we leave ourselves open to attacks by virus & bacterial infections, develop GI problems & even depression (there's a strong mind/gut connection). If we want to get & stay healthy we have to work on our gut balance ;)

Dill, any pill needs to be enteric coated to completely survive the stomach acid it meets. The coating will keep the pill intact until it passes through to the small intestine. I know there are some enteric coated probiotic on the market but they are pretty expensive. For my purposes I have found taking mine with a meal works OK. If I have eaten something that totally disagrees with me & cause me GI distress then I will take my probiotic 2X/day until my gut settles down again. The biggest problem I have is eating out & accidently ingesting the dairy that they sneak into everything, ugh.
I would be very careful taking bicarb - throws your electrolytes off, increases B/P, etc.
Nexium has been found to cause osteoporosis & fractures in women, probably in men too. That's why I hate Rx meds!!

Hi there Pauly, nice you slept in a bit. My big dog was up twice during the night & I couldn't go back to sleep after the second time, oh well.

Hi there Cyn!!

Have a great AF Friday everyone!

Lav

paulywogg
February 19th, 2016, 04:40 PM
I had to take baking soda for heartburn last night, yuck! Did you see the new study that says Prilosec and other heartburn meds cause Alzheimer's now? It was all over the news yesterday, can't take anything I swear

Lavande
February 19th, 2016, 07:56 PM
That's why I stay away from Rx meds Pauly unless it is absolutely necessary.
Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease :(

SnoopyC
February 20th, 2016, 06:03 AM
Good morning all...

Thanks for the encouragement with the paint colors. I always worry that the color scheme will look weird or something when repainting is done. Decorating can be stressful. :)

Lav, I try and take no pills, period. I was taking an antihistimine for a while on a regular basis and felt dried out, so quit taking those. I never realized OTC pills could not be good for you, but realize that now. I do better on simple food, eggs for breakfast, salad for lunch, protein and veggies for dinner. If I eat like that I feel great. Everyone is different though and has to find what works for them.

Pauly, sorry you don't feel well.

Dill, I opened my windows yesterday, it was windy but warm. Today, it should be sunny and in the low 60s, so more open door action here. Sorry your hubby is not feeling well.

Cyn, hope things are going well for you.

Just wanted to say I am thankful for this thread and your support on a daily basis. I know our thread has shrunk, but it is important to me. Have a great AF Saturday.

dill
February 20th, 2016, 07:48 AM
Hello Friends,
Pauly, I heard that about prilosec and really all the stomach acid inhibitors. They talked about it on the news last week which was what prompted Mr. D to try to get off his. I decided to do the same. So far, so good for me. He's been having a bit more trouble with it than I.

Star, I know how you feel about this thread. I have felt the same way for a long time. I do know that eventually I will have to leave the thread some day. Just not ready yet! I know what you mean about the stress of decorating and choosing colors. I've had the experience of making some doozy mistakes! I picked a color one time that was SO bad once it was up on the wall that we simply had to paint over it immediately! LOL

Lav, The article I read the other day about probiotics suggested taking them on an emply stomach because taking them with food increases the exposure to stomach acids that are released to digest the food. They suggested trying to get it thru the stomach with as litte exposure to the acid as possible. But, they also talked about using enteric coated as a good alternative, like you said. I don't have a problem with my gut tho. I was reading it on behalf of Mr. D.

Cyn, I hope. you are doing well and that you have time to pop in today.

My gdaughter will be here today for our usual overnight. It's 50 degrees out right now and supposed to get even warmer! It feels like spring! Have a great af Satureay everyone.

Lavande
February 20th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Good Saturday morning friends!

Can't wait for this warmish weather to arrive. I am getting sick of winter & mud, ha ha!!
I have had hot flashes waking me up at 5 am all week which usually means it's warming up outside.

I also keep adjusting my diet & supplements depending on how I feel. Honestly, I get tired of all the planning & cooking of meals but it's what I have to do. Sometimes one meal out causes me days of feeling 'off', who needs that?

Dill, I have also read about taking your probiotics on an empty stomach. It probably is a good idea if it's something you can tolerate. I am just not able to take anything on an empty stomach, that's just me. I dole out the supplements to go along with breakfast & dinner. I think we all need to pay attention to our vitamin D & calcium intake. Even though I have taken these supplements since the age of 30 I still developed pretty severe osteoporosis. I think the genetic factor is strong since my mom had it too & apparently I do not absorb nutrients properly. Here's the latest recommendations: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/magazine/issues/winter11/articles/winter11pg12.html

Hello to Star, Pauly & Cyn.

Lav

paulywogg
February 20th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Morning friends,Lav,I can't take stuff on an empty stomach either,makes me nauseous, I read conflicting reports on empty or not empty with regards to probiotic taking though,some reports say food helps,who knows? I just take them and hope its getting where it needs to,Dill,why would you have to leave the thread someday? We're always open:) I'd feel weird if I didn't post daily or at least try to anyways,Kell,Lou and I went to the other side of town yesterday to try a sandwich shop,it was good but Lou wouldn't eat of course,that kid I swear he starves then goes on binges! Stopped into TJ Maxx and I bought a bra and too cute to wear underwear(I like my cotton:))but they were cheap so I got them,Kell wanted to leave I think cuz there's a TJ by my work I used to give her money to go to so I could hit the bar when she was a teen:( poor thing being in there yesterday might have made her feel anxious, hello Star,Cyn,hope we all have a super,sober Saturday:)

Lavande
February 20th, 2016, 09:47 PM
Pauly, the probiotic will definitely help regardless of how/when you take it but you really need to work on cleaning up your diet at the same time. Believe me I was as sad as anything when I finally accepted that I could no longer tolerate dairy. But I got to the point where I just had to make a choice. Up until that point I was still sneaking a little dairy in from time to time but I just got tired of being sick :( I really have to go easy on the gluten too or I have to deal with abdominal & joint pain - that's no fun.
I think the longer you are AF the more your kids will relax around you, mine did. Just be sure to let them know that you are happy about your choice to eliminate AL & plan to stay that way!!

Cyn contacted me on Facebook & wants everyone to know that she is fine but her laptop is not! She's having password troubles on this site & hopes to get it resolved soon. That's why I like being in touch with people on Facebook as well as here - good backup :)

Peace to all tonight!

SnoopyC
February 21st, 2016, 06:20 AM
Good morning...

Lav, thanks for letting us know about Cyn. Looking forward to having her back.

Dill, I will probably be on MWO indefintely, it just takes a few minutes from my day and the support is so valuable to me. It was lovely here today too, in the 60s, I had the windows open,did some spring cleaning, it felt so good.

Pauly, it takes time to figure out what foods to eat, supplements to take. I find keeping it simple to work. I never do well on holidays or vacation, eating different foods. Stomach issues, etc., when I eat lots of sugar, dairy, fats, and chocolate. All the good stuff.

Have a great AF Sunday.

Lavande
February 21st, 2016, 08:18 AM
Good Sunday morning friends,

Grateful I didn't have to get up once or twice during the night with my older dog. Geez, it's getting tough with her. Of course then there's my chronic 5am hot flash problem too, ha ha!!
We did have milder temps yesterday & will have the same today. I hear there will be rain the next 5 days, oh well.

Dill, I hope you are having a good granddaughter weekend!
I enjoyed having mine here last weekend. We will be having a small family party next weekend for her 5th birthday :)
I hope you stay connected with us, we really need each other I think.

Star, it's a shame but I almost cringe at the thought of eating out at certain places anymore. We all like a break from the kitchen now & then, at least I do. I would be overwhelmingly joyous if a vegan restaurant opened somewhere around here, ha ha!!!

Greetings to Pauly & Cyn! Glad I see both of you on FB.

Lav

paulywogg
February 21st, 2016, 09:49 AM
Morning friends,Lav,I really had to summon you last night!! Everything you've ever said about not letting YB drag you down,I had to use,my hubs is acting nuts! He wants to quit his job,accusing me of cheating(as if I have the time OR energy) doenst want to file taxes cuz he owes,mopes around, grrrrrrrr,how do I distance myself? He's supposed to be my friend and be supportive,I'm doing a really good job and last night I felt like he was trying to drive me to drink,maybe that's just in my head but he was still being an ass,I feel like crying but I can't, tears won't come so I hafta deal with a rapid heart rate and headache cuz I'm anxious, then he has the nerve to ask why I'm mad at him,duh? Just gotta relax,screw him if he wants to be a turd,I ain't dealing whiny brats,anyways,think I'll take a walk to the store and get some turkey sausage and eggs,hope we all have a nice Sunday,sorry for the rant,just need advice/help

dill
February 21st, 2016, 07:06 PM
Good evening Friends,

Pauly, I didn't mean to sound dramatic or anything when I said I would have to leave the thread someday. I was just thinking in terms of "all good things come to an end" and/or "for everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven". Nothing more than that. Sorry your hb is acting like such a jerk! I know how you are feeling. Hang in there.:hug: Put some space between you. I can't help but wonder where his behavior is coming from tho. We all have our moments, don't we.

Lav, thanks for letting us know that Cyn is OK. I hope she gets her issues worked out and can get back to us soon. I had a great time with my granddaughter and as a bonus, grandson came along too! The weather could not have been any better, so a great weekend was had by all! LOL

Star, This thread has been a Godsend to me, so I do know what you mean. Also, I still have my fingers and toes crossed for your son. I hope something good comes his way soon.

Lavande
February 21st, 2016, 07:57 PM
Pauly, something you may or may not know.........
Men also have mood swings (similar to PMS). The moods don't come as often but when they do they are much more harsh. I have been told this by a few well respected psychologists. I first recognized the male mood swings when we were in our mid to late 20's. I hoped it was something he would 'grow out of' at some point. Yeah, that didn't happen :(
Give yourself some distance, like a safety net. Go take a walk or go for a ride or put on some headphone & listen to a guided meditation. Don't feel like you have to take responsibility for his thinking - you do not!!

Dill, I'm glad you enjoyed have the grandkids over. They are fun, exhausting but fun. I ended up feeding my son & the boys tonight, my DIL was busy elsewhere.

Gearing up for a rainy week ahead, oh well.

SnoopyC
February 22nd, 2016, 04:51 AM
Good morning...

Pauly, my husband has made my life feel crazy in the past, I just did the best I could, too. Talked to my one friend who died, she knew us so well, and was a great resource. I think if we stay married long enough, it happens, we make it through, then have a good period of time. I liked Lav's suggestions, distance yourself for a time. And, you get to work tomorrow, I always find it is good to get away when there is a tough time.

Lav, I was reflecting on the challenges I have been through in just the last few years and realize that my life has not been easy, but then whose life is easy? Lately my husband has been saying he wants to move again! Really? I told him I am not moving, he wants a bigger yard or something. I want to stay put, we live in a city now, like the neighborhood, feel relatively safe, and want to pay this house off. Sometimes I think you just have to make up your mind to be happy exactly where you are at the present moment. Sounds like we all have things to deal with.

Dill, thanks for sending positive thoughts about my son. He has had no luck with a job, not sure exactly how hard he is working, and I am starting to have real anxiety about the entire situation. To the point that I am waking up in the middle of the night. I just don't get why he won't look for part time work while he is looking for the job of his dreams. He is a financial drain, and I am pretty sick of it already. If I say anything, and believe me I do, then I am being a bi***. Always something with him, time to grow up, work hard, and quit mooching off his parents. That said, my daughter came over yesterday with my grandson and we had a lovely day, it was warm and sunny out, then we shopped for a bit and cooked out. It was fun. I guess life is like that, a mix of good and bad, all in the same day. Drinking over any of this would be a disaster, so happy to be able to be upset AF.

Have a good one. :)

paulywogg
February 22nd, 2016, 08:14 AM
Hey all,Star,at least your son is looking, Michelle is doing absolutely nothing! I was headed downstairs to exercise this morning and guess who's stumbling through the door? Everyone says its time for some tough love but if I kick her out again she's got nowhere to go,we always set a good example as far aswork goes,despite the drinking,i dunno why she and little Bobbi are bums haha,Lav,I've always wondered about male pms,hubs is usually soooo positive he's annoying but when he's gets moody it feels foreign to me, Dill and Cyn hope you both had a nice weekend, for the first time in awhile I have Mondayitis:( hope it passes,and I hope we all have an easy day:)

paulywogg
February 22nd, 2016, 08:19 AM
Star,wanted to add that we moved soooo many times in my late 20's early 30's trying to find a "perfect place" to raise the kids,Vegas sux for kids! Anyways after awhile it got to be.traumazing for me and iI still have nightmares about packing up and moving!real anxiety inducing dreams,so weird

Lavande
February 22nd, 2016, 08:26 AM
Good morning friends, it's Monday :)

We are actually starting off with sunshine, an unexpected surprise!

Star, my daughter went through a period of time where jobs were hard to find. She signed on with a temp agency & ended up working a few long term assignments, one lead to a permanent position that she kept until the company closed down during the recession. Temp agencies do more than secretarial staffing (like I thought). She worked a variety of positions including paralegal work in a law office. Just something your son could consider for now.

On the subject of moody men - I really believe the older they get the more panicky they become. That's what I am dealing with now with YB. He is wanting to retire but he is over-worrying the money thing. He needs to be busy doing something....believe me. There are hundreds of things he can be doing around here, he just doesn't see them. I have my work cut out, believe me. It is difficult to disconnect yourself from work identity, I get that.

I want to share an article I received this morning from the Save Our Bones program. It deals with the relationship of the health of our bones & depression - interesting: Stop These 7 Eating Habits That Damage Bones And Increase Anxiety (Do This Instead) (http://saveourbones.com/stop-these-7-eating-habits-that-damage-bones-and-increase-anxiety/)

Hello to Dill, Pauly & Cyn!

Have a great AF day everyone.
I am heading to Curves then on to the outlets to do a little birthday shopping for my granddaughter.

Lav

treegirl
February 22nd, 2016, 05:25 PM
Hello all! I'm BACK, halleluja. Of all the troubling things of being without my laptop these days, not being able to get back on this site was right at the top of the list. Whew. Hopefully all will be well now - by some miracle, I found a gem of a computer guy (PC) right here in the middle of nowhere - what luck was that. 3 hours of his time, a new hard drive and upgrades, and I feel like my computer is brand new again. Thanks so much, Lav for getting the message on here.

I just read back to see how everyone is - it all sounds great. Star - hope you can find some detachment from your son, anxiety is not worth it. Can't wait to see the painting job finished! Lav - I look forward to that link you put up from 'Save our bones' - gosh, 5th birthday? I seem to remember the 'diaper tree' that was for her shower before she was born. Pauly - take care, hang in there, men do really strange stuff sometimes. Dill - loved the story of the deer at the bird feeder! So glad you are having quality time with your gdaughter.

RE: when to take probiotics. I asked my naturpath a while back, and she said that there is evidence for with food and without. She said 'just take it at the same time each day - just be sure to TAKE it!' I've had to go through a couple of different kinds to find the one that works for my gut. Good luck to all with that!

OK, now I feel like I get can back to normal. I too am devoted to this site, and to all of you and your lifework to travel this AF path.

I'm loving the light - sunny today, and at 5:30 the sunset is just starting. Beautiful. Wishing all a great AF night...

Lavande
February 22nd, 2016, 08:56 PM
Yay, glad to see you back Cyn :)
Finding that guy was like a gift from the universe, huh??

If anyone is interested - I signed up for this free week long summit on the microbiome. There will be 33 speakers, you can listen to any or all of them. No need to buy anything on these online events - just listen ;)
Registration - Microbiome Medicine Summit (http://microbiomemedicinesummit.com/)

Peace to all tonight!

SnoopyC
February 23rd, 2016, 05:40 AM
Good morning...

Great posts and good to have Cyn back.

Pauly, I agree, at least my son is looking for a job. Patience, patience, something I am working on.

Lav, interesting article, luckily I know about the things mentioned in that article after a few years of trying to learn healthy dietary rules. The younger generation is really starting to try and eat healthy, I will be interested to see if they have better luck than we do with chronic illnesses. Retiring is challenging. You have to be ready, plan for it, to fill your time and stay energetic and positive.

Cyn, I love my computer geek guys. I had a great one where I previously lived. I will have to find a new one here eventually. So good you got it fixed, a sunny day, everything back to normal.

Hello Dill.

Have great Tuesday, AF.

Lavande
February 23rd, 2016, 08:08 AM
Good Tuesday morning friends!

Rain for the next few days, better than snow!
I have work stuff & tax stuff that needs my attention today. I may as well dig in & get it done ;)

Hello to Star, Dill, Cyn & Pauly.

Lav

PS: I have absolutely no problem filling my day since being semi-retired. Sometimes I have work, sometimes I don't. Gardening, chicken keeping, childcare, housework, animal care....there is no need to worry about being bored :)

paulywogg
February 23rd, 2016, 08:46 AM
Morning friends,Cyn glad to see you:) so I'vebeen ttrying to cut some of the junk I eat out,plan healthier mini meals but yesterday I lost it! Felt hungry and irritated even though I wasn't and had some nacho cheese doritos and I swear they gave me anxiety this is the second time this has happened to me,I was googling(when I'm not on mwo I'm googling haha) anyways I guess its pretty common that some people react to the dyes,corn,msg or some other ingredient in them,grrrrr,I'm bugged cuz I already gave up soda:( booze:)(that one I'm happy about) working on the cigs,I don't want to give up my beloved doritos! I need some fun alternative foods,to me this is like quitting drinking,I hafta quit thinking and just do it cuz the more I think, the more it drives me bananas, hello to all and I hope today is an easy Tuesday

treegirl
February 23rd, 2016, 05:48 PM
Hi everybody - busy day, so evening checkin again.

Lav - I don't know many women who ever get bored!! Sounds like you have plenty to occupy yourself with each day - plus all the cooking!

Pauly - I'm not surprised to hear about the Doritos; sounds like you are super-sensitive to chemicals. You'll get used to reading labels -- if it has a ton of chemicals, or a long list of ingredients, don't eat it! There are lots of chips and other things out there that are made from simple ingredients -- you just have to read the labels. Buy them ahead of time so that you're ready when the munchies hit! It doesn't mean that you have to give up snacking on stuff - just don't snack on the nasty stuff.

Star - I know how hard it is to have patience with a situation that has a lot of history. Good luck with all of it - that's really a balancing act.

Dill - hope you are well. Did you enjoy the full moon? It seemed huge to me this month.

OK, off to finish up some things and then figure out dinner.... happy AF evening, all ---

dill
February 23rd, 2016, 06:21 PM
Ha! Cyn, so great to have you back! Yes, I did enjoy the moon and I thought of you when I saw it this morning before dawn. It was gorgeous! I'm glad you found a good PC guy and you are back with us.

Star, I hear you on the financial drain. Mr. D and I have been doing a lot to keep my son and grandkids above water. It's not easy, especially now that we are on a fixed income. But what choice do we have. We have to help them when we see they are really trying to help themselves. Your son is making a sincere effort, as is mine. I just hope life gets easier for both of them soon.

Pauly, ouch! I don't think I could give up my doritos either, unless it was for sunchips. I like those really well too! I am afraid salty snacks are my biggest weakness.

Lav, thanks for the links. You are so good about giving us good info all the time. Where would we be without you?! A lot dumber I'm thinking!;).

Only one more episode left of Downton Abby. I am going to be so sad to see that end. I have to laugh at myself and Mr. D. Every Sunday we record two shows: Downton Abby and The Walking Dead. Do you think we need therapy? LOL!

Have a great af Tuesday night everyone.

Lavande
February 23rd, 2016, 07:41 PM
Here ya go Pauly :)
From Food Matters, the top 10 additives to avoid:
Top 10 Food Additives to Avoid (http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/top-10-food-additives-to-avoid)

I love something crunchy & salty too but without all the chemicals. Print the list & take it with you to the supermarket.
I have witnessed what red food dye does to kids - instant insanity!!! I had to keep my son away from it & his younger son has the same reactions :(

Dill, I have been busy ALL day. It's after 7:30 pm & I'm not done yet.
I think I will be a nutrition expert in my next life - I'm getting good practice now, ha ha.
Being able to help out our kids when they are in a tight spot is a blessing but I know it will be more difficult as time goes on. I would rather they ask for solid advice than cash at this point, to be perfectly honest.

Cyn, I can hear the wind gusting outside. Hope you have everything tied down - geez!

Peace to all tonight.

paulywogg
February 23rd, 2016, 08:12 PM
Actually just reading that I remember some chips my health freak neighbor gave us awhile ago, they're made from beans and really good, Beanfields I think they're called

SnoopyC
February 24th, 2016, 05:37 AM
Good morning to all...

Pauly, I get the same kind of reactions to some additives/chemicals/dyes too! I have to be very careful if I choose to eat processed food/junk food. I love Cool Ranch Doritos too. I have been buying sunflower seeds, salted and roasted (can't do raw) and they satisfy my salty cravings. Obviously they don't have the same kick but I am used to them now. I actually got my husband hooked on them too and buy some every week. Don't you hate how as you age you get so sensitive to all types of foods? It drives me crazy! :)

Cyn, thanks for the persepective on a situation with alot of history. It is important for me to keep detached, have persepective, and at the same time be positive. Not an easy task. So glad I have a job I go to each day keeping me busy and out of m own head. Hope you are feeling well.

Dill, thanks for the support on the son situation. Geez, I am thankful we can help out and very grateful he has his own place or I would be very stressed. The painting is not done yet and our house is a mess, now a snowstorm is headed our way, so hope they can finish up without the weather interrupting their flow. I want my house back!!!! So glad I don't live up north, they are due for a foot of snow. Yuck!

Lav, thanks again for more info on food, you are a nutrition expert right now! It is a blessing to be able to help our kids, I know young people who have no one and it is very hard for them. I can keep busy for a little while, but not close to wanting to be home 24/7 because I did that when I was younger. Again, I love my hours, 9-5, I realize how lucky I am. Hope you are doing well, sounds like you are in a good spot.

Well, it is hump day, enjoying my coffee, slept well, today will be an adventure. AF life is good. :)

Lavande
February 24th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Good morning friends, happy Hump day too!

It's going to be a dark day with rain & wind gusts. Not great but better than snow, right? :)
It's actually supposed to hit 60 degrees later.

Star, I never had any time at home when I was younger. My paycheck helped out with household expenses & it helped preserve my sanity, ha ha!!
I hope your painters finish up soon so you can enjoy your newly decorated home.
My curiosity & interest in food & nutrition actually began in high school. I was already finding I had weird reactions to certain things. While my friends were enjoying ice cream & milkshakes & the like I was suffering in silence :(
Trying out Sweet n Low in my tea or coffee gave me instant, massive headaches, ugh! And of course as we age we develop even more sensitivities & allergies.

Hello to Dill, Cyn & Pauly. I hope everyone has a great AF day!

Lav

paulywogg
February 24th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Morning friends,Lav,I think that I've always been sensitive to things too,as a teen even like you certain things just made me feel "off" I'd be the gassy or tired one after a group of us ate the same thing,so weird,short post this morning cuz my hair is still damp and I'm in arush,hello Cyn,Star,Dill hope WWednesday treats us bueno:)

treegirl
February 24th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Hello all - a quick jump on to wish all a happy Hump Day. Star, wishing you your house back. I'm such a DIY person that I get very antsy when workers are in my house, I just can't stand it! Thanks for your great attitude about work and life. Lav, I have been reading about nutrition, etc. since the early 80's... it's been a long process, but all the info coming out now is very exciting. I can't wait for the Microbiome summit (kinda weird, but true!). Dill - you and Mr D are so generous to your family - like Lav and Star and Pauly. Our family has finally weaned SD off of support (by age 45!), but we will be paying the large share of her grad school loans until Mr T is almost 80 - those checks are hard to write!!! But we do what we do, right?

I'm working on the presentation that I'll be making tomorrow to a group of professionals - I'm excited, hoping that this will help to get this business up and going.

Wishing all a great AF day --

dill
February 24th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Hello and happy hump day!
I'm just hopping on real quick to say hi. We are having some storms here and the electricity has been out for some time. It just came back on. I have to get dinner going and do other things that were interrupted by the power outage, so no time to post. Usually we have no problem with power outage because of the back up generator. But something went wrong with it too! Grrrr! We don't know what or why.

Have a good af evening. I'll try to catch up tomorrow.

Lavande
February 24th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Pauly, I have had to turn into a real control freak where food is concerned for me, ha ha!! I just don't want to eat what everyone else considers 'normal' & feel sick all the time, ugh!

Cyn, good luck with your presentation :)
I told my kids that if they wanted to go to grad school that they were on their own for that cost. I paid for 4 years of college for each of them then I retired, LOL

Dill, we have had thunderstorms & tornado warnings since dinnertime. Still have power, I feel fortunate so far.
The last time our generator didn't automatically kick on we found out that the big car battery inside the thing was dead - duh. We replaced the battery but it still doesn't turn on automatically, it has to be started by hand, not a big deal. I hope your power stays on now.

Peace & safety to all tonight!

dill
February 25th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Wind, rain and power outages yesterday, snow on the ground this morning! Luckily the power has stayed on. We have an appointment scheduled for Monday to have our generator problem diagnosed and hopefully fixed.

It was a shock to my system this morning when I could not log in to MWO! I'm glad we're back up and running.

Cyn, I hope your presentation went well and brings you the result you hope for. And wow! You and Mr. T have been very good to SD. There are many young adults struggling these days in this job market. I hope I'm not still helping my son as long as you have carried SD, but we do what we must.

Lav, Star and Pauly, let's all have a good Thursday!
Lav,

treegirl
February 25th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Hi all -

Holy Cow, what a storm here last night. I feel so fortunate that none of our old huge trees came down in that wind -- it sounded like a freight train was going through our property for hours and hours. Some big roads are closed for tree removal, so I feel lucky. We made a decision last fall to have some trees taken down that were close to our power coming in from the road... though it was expensive, now I feel that we made the right decision - that power line didn't get ripped off of the house because of a treefall - WHEW!

Dill, sorry about your generator issue - we don't have one here, so I'm always crossing fingers. But with a gas stove, we're at least always able to cook on the stovetop. Hope you get caught up today.

Lav - smart choice on your kid's education. I'm marrying into this situation, but I think it's the right thing - in fact I suggested it. HB is using the money that he would have left her after his passing, and instead is paying down the loan. It's for Law School; she got the degree at the insistence of her Dad, but was always pretty sure she didn't want to be a lawyer. So now she's in public health, and the weight of that loan on her would have made life really difficult. Still, she's darn lucky!! I don't know what she would do if we didn't help... declare bankruptcy, I guess.

Pauly - how is it going? Are you finding good stuff to eat that isn't poisoned by additives?! Hope so -

Star - how is the piano playing going? I hope the painters are done by now - PS - paint fumes can be kind of a problem for us, just like food additives - i would crack a window in the painted rooms, if you can...

Thanks, all, I did the presentation and finally feel like some action may come from it. Crossing fingers. In the meantime, I'm working on optimizing my health and getting back to full energy. Otherwise I won't be able to do the jobs I want to do! Being healthy is EVERYTHING -- good job all on keeping an AF life ---

Cheers -

Lavande
February 25th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Good afternoon friends!

Glad the site is back up.
Also very glad I was able to get to my granddaughter's house OK this morning.
Those violent storms spawned a tornado last evening in Amish country, not far from home. They lost a lot of property & a school but I haven't heard anything about injuries. The news helicopters are showing buildings with the roofs & upper floors ripped off. How sad!!!
I almost feel guilty because we had no problems whatsoever.

Dill, snow? Really???
It's supposed to be near 60 degrees here Sunday so I hope you get the warmth too.

Cyn, glad you are safe & your presentation went well ;)
That has to be a relief!!
We were straight up & open with our kids. They were told that if they stayed out of trouble as teenagers that we would pay for college so they could start off in life without school loans. It was a good deal for all of us I think. My son is taking classes (off & on) towards another degree but his employer is picking up the tab. My daughter is accumulating loans for her change of career schooling but they won't be too bad. Funny how things work out. I always thought my daughter should go to law school but she wasn't interested.

Hello to Star & Pauly.
Have a great AF day everyone.

Lav

SnoopyC
February 26th, 2016, 04:59 AM
Good morning...

Well, the painting job has turned into a challenge...the workers stated they would be done yesterday, I gave them the final check, and when I came home, my house was still torn up and not one room was finished. I am furious. No note, no phone call, nothing. I was able to get in contact and one of the workers became ill, so they left. Of course the check was cashed, and they are supposed to come back today. We'll see. In the meantime, I am up at 4:30, preparing what I will do when they show up or don't show up. Not good.

Our weather was not bad, despite what the warnings were on TV. We got a half an inch. Seriously. That was the good part of my day.

Hope you are all doing well, are safe and warm. Sorry I am so crabby this morning, but I am. Have a good one.

Lavande
February 26th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Good morning friends, happy Friday!

Star, geez I am sorry you have to deal with that issue. Finding reputable contractors is difficult. Have you ever heard of 'Angie's List'? I started a subscription with them while I was here on my own just in case I needed help with something. I like that you can pick contractors based on reviews of people in your own area. I hope you can get this resolved very soon.

Waiting for my granddaughter to wake up. She should be thrilled, he long awaited 5th birthday is today :)
He parents will be here at dinnertime, the grandsons & their parents as well for a little party. I will be busy getting ready for the crowd.

Hello to Dill, Cyn & Pauly.

Lav

treegirl
February 26th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Morning all -

Star, what a difficulty!!! SO sorry, dang. I really get it - having things torn up in your house is the worst. I'm sending you good energy to get this all resolved. Good luck - be a warrior!

Lav - i saw those tornadoes on a weather map, and wondered if you were being affected. I'm so glad nothing happened at your place - what a huge job for that Amish community to cope with. Your kids were lucky to have such good boundaries and supportive parents regarding their education! I think lots of families cope with decisions that happen because of divorces, guilt, complicated issues... not having had kids, my hat is off to anybody who has dealt with all of this!

We are taking care of SD's dog while she takes a brief (well-deserved) mini-vacation. It really changes the dynamic of the household! Lav - good luck with the party and all the cooking today, it sounds like all the family will have fun. Star, hoping that all of this gets resolved soon for you. Dill and Pauly - here's hoping you will have a great Friday!

paulywogg
February 26th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Hello friends, couldn't post yesterday cuz the site was down,then started a book after work and got lost in it:) Lav,I bought a better probiotic off of amazon,it has to be refridgerated which is weird but its free of milk,soy,etc I guess the one I was taking had good reviews but contains milk?weird,been having crushing headaches but I think its hormone related as I've had TOM(time of month) twice this month! I'm breaking down I swear,Bradys 18th birthday today,probably take him to eat later and I'm buying a cake cuz I like store ones better,when I was a kid my birthday cakes were always homemade, still in the pan,no decs just frosting haha,hello Star,Cyn and Dill,hope we all have a great Friday:)

dill
February 26th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Hello All,

Star, OMG! I'm so sorry you had such an up-ending experience. I hope you have better news to tell tomorrow. I don't blame you a bit for being crabby!

Lav, what fun! Her fifth birthday! So great to be able to have a special family event at grandma's house. Much better than the Chuckie Cheese party madness for example, at least in my book. We've done it both ways over the years of course.

Cyn, I thought your background story on SD's circumstances was very interesting. Did she ever actually complete the law degree? I wondered instantly if her training in law would somehow end up being beneficial to her in her current profession too. Life is interesting and not all paths are straight, but all experiences are valuable.

Pauly, what's up? Last I heard you were on a quest for healthy chips. I find healthy chips are hard to find and when you do find one you like, they are usually too cost prohibitive for me! Even the unhealthy snack chips are kind of expensive. I find that even tho the snack aisle is full of all kinds of offerings, I tend to go for potato chips, pretzels and doritoes. I'm a complete salt addict! LOL

I haven't watched American Idol in years, but Kelly Clarkson was on last night and gave an incredibly moving performance of her song Piece by Piece. It's about unconditional love and it is so moving. Grab a tissue if you watch: http://www.americanidol.com/watch/631612483663/7716941568

dill
February 26th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Cross-post, Pauly! Good to see you!

SnoopyC
February 27th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Good morning all...

Well, the stupid painters are still not done, my house continues to be torn up, they are now supposed to finish today, again. I have decided to just go upstairs and work on bills and my tax stuff while they are here. It is supposed to be beautiful out today, so will open up windows and get outside. I really lost it yesterday, and it was not good for me to get so upset. So, I am chosing to have a better day today.

Lav, have fun at the party. Five is such a great age. I blame myself partially for the mess at my house due to the fact that my husband knows them, and it was more informal. Bad sign for me in the past, bad sign now. You are really at someone's mercy when they have your house torn apart. We had found some really reputable people up North, and I forgot how bad it can get.

Dill, hope you can get outside a little today, sunny and warmer for sure.

Cyn, thanks for the support, we are in a new area and just don't know who the good workers are. I had clues though and didn't follow my gut. I just have to get through this and get my stuff put back together. Doggie weekend sounds fun. I miss having a dog lately. We are just not home enough.

Pauly, hope you feel better.

Have a happy Saturday.

Lavande
February 27th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Good morning friends, happy Saturday!

The party went well last evening, everyone went home happy :)
My grandson's 5th birthday will be here in a mere 5 weeks. Hard to believe that 5 years have gone by so quickly since those kids were born. Grateful that I have been fully present & fully involved with them ;)

Star, sorry your house is still torn up. Hopefully everything will be back in place by the end of the day. Get outside if you can for some fresh air & sunshine!

Dill, my granddaughter did have a party at Chuck E Cheese last year, ha ha! That place is kind of overwhelming, to say the least. We had pizza & cake & ice cream here without all of the extra glitz & glam!

Cyn, having an extra dog or two in the house throws the pecking order off, that's for sure, ha ha!! Enjoy your doggie weekend!!

Pauly, I know the hormone hell you are experiencing right now. It is just a whole lot worse for some than for others. Finding a medical person you can actually work with helps a lot. Good luck with the new probiotic.

OK, time to feed animals here.
Wishing everyone a great AF day!

Lav

paulywogg
February 27th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Morning friends,Lav,little granddaughter looked so cute on Facebook, I'm glad she had a good birthday:) Bradys was ok but he wanted a bigger TV and didn't get one but he got a guitar so to me that's better:) I'm a hormonal heaping mess and I just dunno what to do,I'm alone in all of this cuz doctors just poo-poo this stuff away around here,I don't feel like going to work cuz I had a confrontation with an old man last week over nothing and my nerves are frazzled, I'm tired of being verbally abused by these low income,ghetto people! Sorry for the rant, I guess I need a thicker skin,I just have a hard time blowing things off,hello Dill,Cyn,Star,I really hope we all have a great,easy Saturday:)

treegirl
February 27th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Morning all!

Pauly - so sorry your workplace is not a happy one -- that must be hard. We all have those skills to learn and to practice every day - good boundaries and detachment. I think Lav is our ringleader for that one! Did you receive the Dr. Lee book? Did it help at all?

Star - I'm just glad the painting guys are back and will finish up; glad that they didn't vanish! I hear ya on not following your gut instinct - it's a good reminder to trust ourselves, right? I hope that you get out and enjoy the sunshine today. It's sunny here, but very cold, so taxes will be keeping me company today. HB is restless, so he's going out for a walk and a tour at a nearby Maple sugar factory.

Dill - how are you doing? Thanks for the link, that sounds interesting. What are you reading nowadays? Any craft activities?

Lav - the party sounds like such fun. Wow, I can't believe those kids are 5... it does not seem that long ago that you posted the pics of the 2 sisters-in-law very pregnant, waiting for the arrivals. Yes, what a great thing to have been totally present all this time. A great gift to your family --

Have a great one, all. AF!!!!

dill
February 28th, 2016, 06:35 AM
People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Hello All,

Pauly, I thought maybe this little verse from Mother Teresa may give you inspiration to deal with the difficult people you encounter at your work. It helps me. You are sounding a overwhelmed and down. I so I. hoped to send you extra support!:hug::hug:

Cyn, it's funny you asked about crafts and books. I don't really have anything going right now but did just get a book from the library by Deborah Moggach tittled, In the Dark. She is the author of Best Marigold Hotel and Tulip Fever. I enjoyed both of those, so I will let you know how I get on with this one.

Star, I hope your frustrations with the painting are fading and you are getting things put back to rights. Any home improvement project in my experience has always taken longer than expected and has been a bigger headache than expected. But as you know, this too shall pass. I hope they are doing satisfactory work for you.

Lav, I'm glad to know you have experienced the special Chuckie Cheese birthday event too! Ha! Funny thing is, I think I actually liked the pizza, in spite of all the over stimulation surrounding us!

Of course little granddaughter is here and we have been having a wonderful visit. Today we visit with the neighbors across the road who have a 4 year old and a 1 year old so Kylie will have a little play time. These are the Romanian immigrants I think I have mentioned before. Very lovely people.

What will we name the March Thread?!!

SnoopyC
February 28th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Good morning all...

I could not get into MWO earlier this morning, so grateful it is working now. Well, I worked with the painters all day, and they finished for the most part. The main guy did not use drop clothes all the time, so I spent my day on my hands and knees, cleaning up the spattered paint off my counters, stove, floor, etc. I kept my cool, but wow was he lazy. He worked about 4 hours and was exhausted. Anyway, never again. It does look nice, but what a nightmare.

Today, it is going to get into the 60s and sunny! Yay! March Madness, marvelous march, march maintanence, mildly march, manageable march.

Have a good one.

paulywogg
February 28th, 2016, 02:08 PM
I like Marvelous March:) hopefully it will be a madness free month so that name won't fit,hope all are well:)

Lavande
February 28th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Good evening friends!

I missed not being able to get on to post - hope the maintenance & updating is complete now!

Pauly, I honestly understand your frustration & I am sorry you have to deal with all that.
I know we are always recommending books here on this thread but I can honestly tell you that this one helped me so much.
http://www.amazon.com/Let-Go-Now-Embracing-Detachment/dp/157324466X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1456712797&sr=1-1&keywords=let+go+now
It's an easy read & most importantly helped me to understand that we live very codependent lives. Learning to detach gives us the freedom to live the life we were menat to live. Please grab yourself a copy & tell us what you think :hug:

Dill, it's so funny that you mentioned the pizza at Chuck E Cheese - it was good & it don't bother me a bit, ha ha!!
I hope your granddaughter time was excellent!
I love that verse by Mother Teresa, I have read it a few times.

Star, glad the painting is finally complete - whew ;)

Cyn, I hope your doggie weekend went well.

Have a peaceful night everyone.
Let's do Marvelous March.

Lav

SnoopyC
February 29th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Good morning...

What a beautiful day weatherwise, spring is teasing us and I like it. Working on making good nutrition choices and feeling better and better. Love having my house put together, it looks great. Marvelous March it is, whoever gets up first gets to start the new thread.

Lav, I am going to look at that book, very interesting. Hope you had a peaceful Sunday.

Pauly, hope you find solutions to your physical issues soon.

Dill and Cyn, great start to the week, let's all have a good one.

Lavande
February 29th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Good morning friends!

Happy Monday to all. I actually had 8 hours of undisturbed sleep - nice :)
We have clouds & some rain moving in later but the temp is supposed to be 55. I am definitely feeling ready for Spring.

Star, I found that book at a time when I needed it the most, it really helped me understand what I needed to do.
It's probably a good idea to read it before a crises hits, better to be prepared!

Hello to Dill, Pauly & Cyn. Have a great AF day everyone.
I have Curves & work waiting for me!

Lav

paulywogg
February 29th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Morning friends,hope everyone had a nice weekend, we've been hitting the 80's nearly but I've not been enjoying it much cuz of allergies, I told hubs it has to be something that I'm eating on a daily basis so we're doing experiments, I have a headache this morning which bothers me cuz I was pain free yesterday, enough moaning,I'm tired of being the moaner,the clocks change in a couple of weeks so it won't be getting as dark so early,actually it has been getting dark later as it is,I hope we have a great Monday,hello to all:)

treegirl
February 29th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Morning all!

I thought I posted yesterday, hmmm, guess not. I had computer troubles again - Windows won't load. Thanks to my stubborn-ness, I just kept trying things until something finally got it up and running. I worked on taxes, cooked for humans and dogs all day, and then with some fear turned the computer off. Same thing this morning! So I've texted the computer guy - he has some more fixing to do, obviously.

Thanks for the quote, Dill. Such a great reminder that one must just do one's best, no matter what. That's actually kind of a Buddhist approach, right? From Mother Teresa!

Thanks for the book idea, Lav. I just ordered it. I read Melody Beatties 'CoDependant no More' years and years ago - that started my first efforts at transformation. This book looks great ---

Pauly - how is it going? I hope you are feeling better.

Star - so glad you have your beautiful house back to yourself! I'm in the 3rd week of the MBSR, and seeing some changes with adding the yoga in this week. Friday will begin my 4th week. Kind of like Dill's quote, right. Whatever is going on, just keep at knowing yourself and being present and doing what will fill our souls.

We had sun and mild weather yesterday - I actually took a walk with HB. It was wonderful to have the gentle 'green' fragrance in the air - spring is definitely coming! Happy AF Leap Day to all --

treegirl
February 29th, 2016, 09:45 AM
x=post Pauly! Good luck with that headache - remember to take some deep breaths!

dill
February 29th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Good evening Friends,

We made it thru February! Wow, how fast this month went!
Pauly, I'm looking forward to the time change too.
Cyn, Star, Lav, sorry to be so brief but am short on time. Hope everyone has a very good af night. See you all in March!

SnoopyC
March 1st, 2016, 06:24 AM
Good morning...

Woke up late today. Our furnace messed up last night, a guy was able to come out and rig it for a day or so, something needs to be replaced, and the part will be in on Wednesday. It never ends lately.

Lav, I ordered the book you recommended on detachment, I really need it right now. We are supposed to get snow on Thursday and Friday, then warm weather over the weekend again. I want spring to stay!

Cyn, computer problems are a pain in the neck. Hope you can get it fixed soon. It is wonderful to have my house put back together, thanks. Glad you are noticing positive changes from the meditation. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and was able to deep breathe, complete a relaxation exercise and fall into a deep sleep, with no meds. It has taken me years of practice, and it works! So glad you are having some nice weather, too.

Dill and Pauly, hope you Tuesdays are great.

Have a good one.