Pondering protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pondering protein

Does anyone know a formula for figuring out how much protein we should be getting? I know it is higher for people with alcohol problems or recovering from them. Also, I am a vegetarian so I probably have to be extra careful about this. Any advice?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Pondering protein

Beatl,

I know that after my gastric bypass I was told a minimum of 50 grams of protein a day. (Which is really hard to get in when your stomach is the size of a walnut) It has expanded in the last 2.5 years, so I do get to eat meats, etc, again.

I used Isopure then and still do, mostly for my breakfast meal. It has all 50 Grams in one serving and tastes okay.

However, I believe Iosupure is whey protein, which is milk based, and depending on what kind of vegetarian you are, that would be a no-no.

There are some good soy based proteins on the market, which would definitely fit into your lifestyle, however, I never have found one that tastes as good as Isopure. The good news about the soy based proteins are they are really good for middle-aged women.

Another good advantage for using protein drinks is that you can get in a good significant amount of protein without all the fat that usually comes in protein sources.

Hope this helps.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Pondering protein

I don't know about how much we should have. I do know I feel better when I make sure I get adequate amounts. Especially iwth my morning smoothie - which I use Hemp Protein powder in. LOVE the hemp - taste is good (not like those soy ones), and it is pure ground hemp seeds, so not so processed like the soy and whey etc. And it adds fiber (being ground seeds) and is rich in omega-3! The only thing that could make it better is if it had the same affect as it's cousin.... :-)
      Hugs,
      imatree

Comment

Pondering protein

Thanks, that at least gives me a ball park figure. I'd still like to find out if there is a formula though, based on weight and age. I also wonder if it is dangerous to get too much protein.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Pondering protein

Yes, there is danger of too much protein. That's why the Atkins Diet was such a controversy.
          Hugs,
          imatree

Comment

Pondering protein

I wouldn't go crazy on the protein while you are recovering from alcohol as it can tax liver/kidney, but once your healthy then I'm a big fan. good protein powders like Jarrow formulations etc are packed with aminos...just look at the lable at the local store. I've heard 1 gram of protein for every pould of lean muscle mass in your body. we need to athletes....Java? AAthlete?
            hemp protein powder? how interesting. I'm assuming it wouldn't cause me to faila blood/urine test?
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Pondering protein

Multiply your weight times .7 for total grams protein per day for recovering alcoholics. This is based on the radient recovery way. radientrecovery.com. The author is a former treatment professional who used dietary management to achieve a higher percentage of treament compliance after the program ended. Interesting stuff. Books include Potatoes, Not Prozac and one about sugar addicts(she includes alcohol as a sugar, so therefore we are all sugar addicts). I read it, played around alittle, but have been thinking that radient recovery plus MWO is a good way for me to go.
              Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Pondering protein

Oops, my bad. Here is the real link Radiant Recovery

Comment

Pondering protein

thanks for that. I'll take a look (tomorrow) and report back.

Comment

Pondering protein

Older women have to be very careful to make sure they get plenty of calcium if they eat a lot of protein. The body needs calcium to either absorb or digest (I don't remember) the protein and if it does not have it then it will take it from the bones. Someone may know more about this and be able to post more intelligently about it than I can.
                    If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Pondering protein

Speaking of calcium, I drink calcium mineral water. It is good stuff and is recognized by the FDA and the National Osteoporosis Foundation. 8 ounces will give you 10% of your calcium requirement and it is 0 calories.

Ok, back to protein...

Comment

Pondering protein

Rot, everyone is at risk of over-protein, especially in the us. Too much protein can and will damage the kidneys. However, because even the best fed problem drinker has changed the acidity of the gi tract, so foods and vitamins are not aborbed and utilized as well. So as I understand the radiant recovery premise, you have that much protein a day ( your body weight times .7) to help rebuild the body systems. Then with all the supps we take here we can re-nourish and get back to a normal state! (whatever that might be!!!)

Comment

Working...
                        X