Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, here goes, a plan.

All,

Several members have suggested that a good place to start is to make a plan.

Plan:

1. Using either Campral or Topamax as the med. (Due to some strange circumstances ended up with both and have to decide which to use.)
    2. Already been using the supps for 3 weeks in preparation -- I figured why not get the body into as good a shape as possible for the AF.
    3. Listen to hypnosis CD (a diferent one than RJs) every morning.
    4. Already added a short walking routine to morning.
    5. Add some resistance exercise.
    6. Starting today AF for 30 days.

If I can go 30 days AF, I will feel like I have made some incredible progress. I haven't gone without alcohol for more than one day in probably 20 years.

After that, decide whether to continue AF or Mods.

Thanks for letting me put this out there. I want some accountability, too, and it is nice I can do that here.

Many, many thanks for the replies and support so many of you have given me to get me to the point of really trying. :thanks:

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Okay, here goes, a plan.

Wow Cindi,
    I'm impressed, really. I wish you the best. You sound motivated and I know you can do it. Let us know your progress everyday and if you need encouragement you know where to get it.

Melissa:goodjob:
    If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Okay, here goes, a plan.

We will be cheering for you! Keep us posted.

Comment

Okay, here goes, a plan.

Sounds like a great plan and I really don't want to discourage you in any way, but if you haven't gone AF for more than one day in 20 years, it could be dangerous to stop cold turkey without medical help. It depends on how much you have been drinking every day but going cold turkey after so long can lead to severe withdrawal symptoms including hallucinations and siezures. There are medications to help reduce the symptoms and dangers, and many people do detox cold turkey at home with the help of the medications but I am worried if you are doing this on your own without any assistance. I would not write this unless I was really worried. Have you talked to a doctor about this?
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Okay, here goes, a plan.

Cold Turkey

Beatl,

Thanks for the concern!! Yes, I have gone to two doctors now.

While I was waiting for one to decide whether she would prescribe topa, (impatient to get started) the other prescribed the Campral and has given me a very short supply of librium to get me through the withdrawals.

He did ask I only use the Librium if necessary and to go to ER if I start experiencing tremors and hallucinations. (My husband wonders how he will know the difference between me being drunk or withdrawal. He also said that topa dopa will probably go unnoticed by everyone who knows me, too, if that is the one I decide on.)

I forgot to mention that in the plan.

Sorry.

Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Okay, here goes, a plan.

That's good to hear Cindi. A big relief.

Still, I think you should have been given medication to make it easier on you (like Ativan, which is also an anticonvulsant, so it kills two birds with one stone). The reason I think this is a good idea is because cold turkey after a long time drinking can be very uncomfortable, making it hard to keep going after a couple days. If the withdrawal can be made a little less uncomfortable, you are more likely to succeed in getting through the crucial first days, after which the symptoms get much less severe.

Anyway, I would advise that you definitely use the librium if you feel you need it-- don't wait until you are desperate. It is a strong medication but you will not get addicted to it from short-term use. You might also need to use sleeping pills for a few days, or else you may find yourself awake all night for a few nights, which increases the risk of seizures. (Unfortunately I speak from experience on this). If you use the librium you probably won't need sleeping pills but if you do, make sure it is ok to take the two together, that is, make sure there aren't contraindications to mixing the drugs.

Good luck. And speaking from experience, it's worth it!
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Okay, here goes, a plan.

Sounds a great plan, good luck!

uda

Comment

Working...
              X