fryday 1st april 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fryday 1st april 2014

mrng all ...hows we all today then....good I hope ...well as you see it is april fools day....my date is only a year out

The custom of setting aside a day for the playing of harmless pranks upon one's neighbor is recognized everywhere. Some precursors of April Fools' Day include the Roman festival of Hilaria, the Holi festival of India,[and the Medieval Feast of Fools

In Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (1392), the "Nun's Priest's Tale" is set Syn March bigan thritty dayes and two.Modern scholars believe that there is a copying error in the extant manuscripts and that Chaucer actually wrote, Syn March was gon.hus the passage originally meant 32 days after March, i.e. 2 May the anniversary of the engagement of King Richard II of England to Anne of Bohemia, which took place in 1381. Readers apparently misunderstood this line to mean "32 March", i.e. 1 April.[citation needed][8] In Chaucer's tale, the vain cock Chauntecleer is tricked by a fox.

In 1508, French poet Eloy d'Amerval referred to a poisson d’avril (April fool, literally "April fish"), a possible reference to the holiday In 1539, Flemish poet Eduard de Dene wrote of a nobleman who sent his servants on foolish errands on 1 April.In 1686, John Aubrey referred to the holiday as "Fooles holy day", the first British reference On 1 April 1698, several people were tricked into going to the Tower of London to "see the Lions washed".

In the Middle Ages, New Year's Day was celebrated on 25 March in most European towns. In some areas of France, New Year's was a week-long holiday ending on 1 April.Some writers suggest that April Fools' originated because those who celebrated on 1 January made fun of those who celebrated on other dates The use of 1 January as New Year's Day was common in France by the mid-16th century, and this date was adopted officially in 1564 by the Edict of Roussillon.

In The Netherlands, the origin of April Fools' Day is often attributed to the Dutch victory at Brielle in 1572, where the Spanish Duke Álvarez de Toledo was defeated. "

so there you go...

got to go to the dentist this morning...like in about an hour..one of my crowns has come off..they only use a temp fixative and it was too temp!!need to be there for 11 30...

planted up a load of seeds this morning,thinned out the chard last night and...da da...

20160401_064644.jpg

20160401_064710.jpg

job done ..a day to strip it out ...fill all the holes in ,repaint and put back together..Julie thinks I am insane ..but hey....

hey pauly...sent you a pm..hope it landed ok... brews all round ..but in the meantime got to go and get my crown on..oh and get my tooth fixed too!!
    will nip in later ..hiya kuya,ppqp...and everyone else hope you are doing good ...

Before I got through to Seaworld, I had to say "Jump through the hoop! Do a flip!"
    They said my call may be recorded for training porpoises.

A man walks into a bookshop and says "I hope you don't have a book on reverse psychology."

Mother Superior was taking a bath. There's a knock on the door.
    She says, "Who is it?"
    A male voice responds, "The blind man."
    After a few moments of deliberation the nun says, "Come in."
    The man enters and says, "Nice boobs, Mrs Nun. Where do you want me to hang the blind?"

An accountant/banker, on a drive to his folks for thanksgiving, got lost on a rural Wyoming road. He sees a local and stops.
    "Does this road go to Laramie?"
    "I dunno"
    "Is there a place near here with phone reception so I can make a call?"
    "I dunno"
    "well how about a nearby drugstore or town - can you tell me how far away one might be?"
    "nope"
    "You don't know much do you?"
    "Nope - but I aint lost".

Two men are walking down the street, and they see a dog licking his balls.
    One of the guys says, "I really wish I could do that."
    To which his friend replies, "Well, he looks like a friendly enough dog...

Just before the funeral services, the undertaker came up to the very elderly widow and asked,
    'How old was your husband?'
    '98,' she replied, 'Two years older than me'
    'So you're 96,' the undertaker commented.
    She responded , 'Hardly worth going home, is it?

Bill walks into a post office one day to see a middle-aged man standing at the counter enthusiastically writing addresses on bright pink envelopes covered with hearts.
    He then takes out a scent bottle and starts spraying perfume over them. Bill’s curiosity gets the better of him and he walks over to the man and asks him what he’s doing.
    “I’m sending out 1,000 Valentine’s Day cards signed, ‘Guess who?’” says the man.
    “Why on earth are you doing that?” asks Bill.
    “Because I’m a divorce lawyer.” replies the man.

A Banjo enthusiasts joke:
    Johnny proudly drove his new VW Beetle convertible into town and had his shiny banjo nestling in the back seat.
    He had walked half way around the block from the parked car when he realised that the sunny weather had prompted him to leave the hood down... with his banjo in the back.
    He ran all the way back to his car, but it was too late...
    another five banjos had been dumped in the car.

So I went to buy a watch, and the man in the shop said "Analogue." I said "No, just a watch."

I went into a shop and I said, "Can someone sell me a kettle." The bloke said "Kenwood" I said, "Where is he?"

So I went in to a pet shop. I said, "Can I buy a goldfish?" The guy said, "Do you want an aquarium?" I said, "I don't care what star sign it is."

I phoned the local ramblers club today, and this bloke just went on and on.

A man checks into his hotel on a business trip and, feeling a bit lonely, he thought, I'll call one of those girls you see advertised in phone booths when you're calling for a cab.
    He looked in a phone booth near the hotel and found an ad for a girl calling herself Eroveronique, a lovely girl, bending over in the photo. She had all the right curves in all the right places, beautiful long wavy hair, long graceful legs..... well, you get the picture! He copied the phone number and returned to his hotel. When back in the room he figures, what the heck, give her a call.

'Hello,' the woman says......... God, she sounded sexy.

'Hi, I hear you give a great massage and I'd like you to come to my room and give me one. No, wait, I should be straight with you. I'm in town all alone and what I really want is sex. I want it hot, and I want it now. Bring implements, toys, rubber, leather, whips, everything you've got in your bag of tricks. We'll go hot and heavy all night; tie me up, cover me in chocolate syrup and whipped cream, anything you want! Now, how does that sound?'

She says, 'That sounds fantastic, but you need to press 9 for an outside line

A Cumbrian farmer's dog goes missing and he is inconsolable.
    His wife says to him, "why don't you put an ad in the paper to get him back".
    The farmer does this, but after two weeks, no phone calls, the dog is still missing.
    "What did you write in the paper?" asked his wife.

"Here boy," said the farmer.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Morning All, Guessing you're at the dentist right about now, Mick. Hope it's an easy visit. Thanks for the April Fool's startup. Was expecting your pics to be of plantings, but the garage looks good

Dog has been missing for a week now, and no sightings in the past several days. It's very discouraging, and notice I feel irritable in general. Realizing the source of the irritability though, is helping to keep it in perspective. Happy Friday to all

Comment

Greetings FOOLES ha ha!

Thanks for the history lesson Mick, I had no idea there was so much to April Fools day
      Your garage does look good. Now come teach YB how to do the same thing, please.
      I hope your crown is superglued this time. I hate it when those things pop off.

Pie, maybe someone found that dog & took him home? Stranger things have happened.
      I hope you have a good day

This week's excitement is almost over. I took my grandson to school this morning but his other grandparents will be picking him up. They will stay with him until his parents return sometime this weekend. It has been a fun week, for sure.
      Daughter & her family are coming for dinner later. Never a dull moment for me.

Have a great AF day everyone!,

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey y'all,

Pie, hope your friend is safe and sound. Very worrying. I know that feeling.

Mick, thanks for the jokes and daily insight as always. Gr8 pics. I love old school tools and ladders, but fact is, wooden ladders can eventually weaken/rot away. The aluminium ones look good.

Take care out there folks.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
        X