Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYCGirl's Story

Hi all, :new:

I posted this in the stories forum, but I wanted to post it here as well, since I really need as much feedback and support right now as possible.

This is my first post here. I don't quite know what to say so the easiest thing is to tell my story. I have been really battling with my alcohol abuse for the past year (I'm 26) and read Koren Zailckas's book, Smashed, recently, which prompted me to start to come clean and accept my problem drinking, even though I admitted it to my best friend about six months ago (but no one else, even family).

I was actually a relatively "good girl" in high school and college. I've had a 4.0 since 8th grade and I just graduated with my master's and will be starting my PhD next year. I really didn't drink in college, mostly because I didn't have access to alcohol and my boyfriend in college had his best friend killed by a drunk driver. I drank moderately, but not problematically, my last year or so of college, but nothing remotely abnormal or serious.

I moved to NYC after college, which I absolutely have loved and finally feel at home here more than anywhere else I have ever been. I entered grad school at NYU and took up the typical NYC lifestyle, punctuated by happy hours, late night drinking binges in dive bars and downtown pubs, and morning after brunches. Over the past few years, my occasional binge drinking combined with the stress of my personal and professional life, and the general pressures of living in NYC and keeping up with the "drinking Joneses" has led me to live a life that involved way more alcohol than I would have liked. I feel like I literally can't see my friends except in an environment that involves alcohol, and when I do, I drink way too much to deal with my own internal stresses. When I don't have a happy hour or party to be at, I find myself coming home with several bottles of wine and a six pack of beer, often drinking a bottle or more, plus several beers and shots, in my bedroom by myself each night.

This kind of life has gotten me in more trouble than I care to remember. I've found myself in friends' basements lost because I couldn't figure out how to get to the lobby and out to a cab, passed out in the foyer of my own building only to wake up to a neighbor's dog sniffing at me at 3am, and in drunken fist fights with friends and ex-boyfriends on random street corners at all hours of the night. I miss work somewhat regularly because I'm hungover or just too exhausted to get out of bed after a night of drinking. I've called my mom in the middle of the night and made her drive into the city (from about 2 hours away in PA) because I literally had a psychotic episode while drunk and couldn't be consoled without her presence. The most recent and most disappointing episode was missing my mother's day brunch with my mom because I was too drunk after drinking jack daniel's and crying all night to get out of bed.

The past few weeks my drinking has escalated. I come home most nights and drink more than most people drink in a week. I crave alcohol constantly. It is my friend and the soother of my worries and anxieties. I know this is bad. I have a master's degree in public health and work in substance abuse research, so this area is not foreign to me. But I don't know how to extract myself from it. Or what to do at night to calm my frazzled nerves other than drink two bottles of wine and a half a bottle of some kind of booze. I am so unhappy with my life and the way I make my body feel. But at the same time, feel powerless to do anything about it. I can't imagine surviving in my group of friends (who I love so much and who are really wonderful and terrific people) without drinking being apart of our comradry. Perhaps that's the problem, that I can't see beyond that.

I don't think AA is the right place for me. I've done 12 step groups in the past for other issues and I don't think the philosophy is the right one for me. But at the same time, I feel like I need something to hold on to, and to know other people who are like me and grapple with these same things. I just feel like I need someone to unload to right now because there is really no one else for me to talk to and I feel so alone in this. I am very close to my boss....he is a wonderful man (also gay) who treats me like his little sister and has been very open with me for many years about his own issues (he is a recovering drug addict and also HIV-positive)...and am eyeing him up as the person I want to 'come out' to with my problem. Don't worry, we have a very close and unique relationship, and I trust not only his opinion, but also his ability to keep my concerns private and confidential despite our professional relationship. I know that my career would never be in any way jepordized by talking to him, which is why I have chosen him over anyone else. But I also want to just receive some feedback and support from others. Like I said, I have been to 12 step groups in the past, because of issues with a relationship way in my past and not because of my own addiction, but am still not sure that is the right place for me. Your support right now in any way would be so much appreciated.

Thank you for listening.

Love,
    NYCGirl

NYCGirl's Story

Welcome Nyc. It is late here and I'm off to bed so my message will be brief but I just want to let you know you will find lots of support here. Please order the book and and all the suppplements/cds that go with it asap as they will be very helpful. You will find lots of support here from people who understand your situation.

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Yes, this is definitely a great place to start, along with all the other things. Your story is, of course, unique to you, but you'd be surprised how similar it is to many others here. That's why we can all help each other. Most of us have also decided againsst the 12-step/AA approach and don't feel it is the right way for us but desperately want to stop. That's what MYO is all about - doing it your own way. Now that you've decided to do something about it, you are definitely on the right track and you will get both support and advice from this site. Welcome.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hi NYC girl

Welcome to the website.

I think Beatle is right, you have a lot in common with the people on this website.

you can try a variety of approaches and see what works for you.

Given that your problem has so many negative consequences, have you considered medication? see the medication section of this website, it seems like a number are effective. Your social environment sounds like it needs some changes to help you lead a more healthy life. Also, if you are not in therapy, I would advise doing that right away.

This site will give you a great education about the nature of the problem, tons of tips for making changes and a sense of connection to others facing the same issues.

Take care

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hi NYCGirl and welcome.

I can only say that this site is the right place for you, if you truly want it to be. And, if you truly want to get sober, you can, because here at M.W.O., you will find people who completely understand `the mess` you are in at this particular time in your life. The people here are a godsend, and will support and encourage you all along the way, from your deepest, darkest despair to your first little triumphs over the booze and way beyond.................

How can I assure you of that? Well, that`s an easy one for me to answer, since my M.W.O. friends have been there for me, and they gave me the courage to realise that I don`t `need` wine, despite my loving it, and so, I have set off on my journey. See you along the way............

Best wishes,

Starlight Impress

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Welcome NYCGirl!!

It took me several weeks of lurking and then some tentative posting, reading RJ's book (and many others out there like Seven Weeks to Sobriety and Rational Recovery, reading up on all the supplements and going out and buying them and taking them before I even BEGAN to try to start quitting.

I did end up going to the doctor and discussing meds. (I figure why not try them if they have worked for so many) I just started Campral two days ago. The results of Campral don't take effect for about 5 days, so I am not getting help from it yet.

However, there are many on this site who chose not to use meds and are also doing great.

I would take some time to read, research, soul search, and keep reading the posts. A plan will form that you feel comfortable with and then you can take your first step.

Good luck, take care, and know you are not alone.

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

NYC girl, I would just like to add that you are catching this problem early which is a great thing. Many of us struggled with this on our own, sinking deeper and deeper for years and years before finally recognizing it for what it is and taking steps to do something about it. If you continue to look this in the face and be proactive, you will lick it early and be able to get on with your very promising life and future.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Welcome Welcome NYC .... you have found a great place here...your story is your own but you will find that everyone here struggles with much the same thing...I am a bottle and a half wine a day drinker myself for - i have no idea how long, its been so long- and have 12 days AF( alcohol free today) TOTALLY due to this site...read the book first...and take whatever works for you from it...for me the topa ( a medication) really seems to be making a difference...your boss friend sounds like the perfect person to talk to....it helps to have a confidante... if you change your mind you can find many here....you are lucky you have addressed this early ...i sure wish i had known on my 20's....Be proud of yourself for posting ...thats the first step and we are all here if you need to chat....Again :welcome: Buck

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Thanks everyone for all your kind words and support! It really means a lot.

Like I said above, I think, I recently read Koren Zailckas's book Smashed, which I would highly recommend to anyone who hasn't read it. I picked it up knowing that it would probably speak to what I am going through right now, but in the process of reading it, really started to look around me at the sort of 'culture' that am immersed in. I certainly don't do the whole trendy club scene, hanging out in VIP rooms with Paris Hilton thing that many young New Yorkers are into. Mostly because I am just not attracted to that lifestyle, and don't have the money for it even if I was. But my world is still very much surrounded by people and places that normalize excessive consumption of alcohol. I'm involved in a lot of society and charity events, so of course there is alcohol at every fundraiser we have, and planning meetings frequently happen at a private social club or bar where the alcohol is free financially and also flows freely. It's just part of the culture, and not drinking at those types of functions is unheard of. There is a part in Koren's book when she talks about how the expectation is that everyone drinks and if you don't, people wonder why. They make the assumption that of course you would drink if you could, and if you choose not to, it's not because you don't drink, but because you "can't"...an implication that there must be something wrong with you. I feel that is very true for my life right now more than it ever was before. I could avoid drinking in high school and college by just not going to parties (I never really cared to go to them anyway). But now, networking, community involvement, and advancing my career all seem to somehow involve the pressure to drink (and lots), and it's hard to figure out how to avoid that without missing out on important opportunities for my life - not to mention time with my friends, who are all wonderful, talented, intelligent people who are also swept up in this 'culture'. Ultimately, I guess I sort of fear that giving up drinking means missing out on so much because so much involves drinking, and I'm afraid of losing friends over it (even though I know how shallow someone would be to stop being a friend to me simply because we don't drink...my guess is that it will be more a matter of drifting apart because of lack of common interests and a common ground to hang out in that isn't a bar).

Sorry, just a bit of a rant to share my frustrations. I'm sure this is something that many of you have experienced or considered, so I am sure you can understand and relate to all of this.

What attracted me to this site and program from what I've seen so far is the more 'natural' approach to change...through supplements and exercise and such. That's more my style. And also the lack of specific emphasis on religion. I'm Jewish and I'm concerned about the Christian influences behind AA. Even though it's not 'supposed' to be Christian, it ultimately is in many cases, and I'd really rather not deal with people trying to convert me as I'm very steadfast in my religious and spiritual practices. I should probably find some sort of counselor to talk to, but I'm really not big on talk therapy. I've tried to go many times in the past and never make it back to the second appointment. Also, I'm losing my health insurance in August, so even if I started now, I'd have to change therapists in two months, which sucks. I'm open to support groups though that aren't affiliated with AA, so if anyone has a suggestion for a support group in the NYC area or somewhere online to look for one, please let me know. Lastly, I still need to get the book. So frustrating! None of the bookstores in the city seem to have it. I tried to order it online but they said it would take two weeks for delivery. I guess two weeks is better than never but I'd kinda like to have it now. I might try looking again today and seeing if I can find it.

Just rambling now...but thank you all for listening and for your kind words! I really appreciate the support.

NYCGirl

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hey NYC ...you can get the book instantly via download at the health store on this site...check it out... on a side note...i spend 1/2 my life in NYC for work and totally understand about the NYC culture drinking/fundraising/career/drink meetings/etc.....i haven't been there yet since stopping( as I said earlier only 12 days so far- big for me) but i think i'm going to carry around a glass with club soda in it and a lime...i mean who will know...Looks like vodka soda....it is a while off till i have to go back and am scared to death but it is worth a shot...i just have to get the glass before the looming question ...can i get you a drink....you know what i mean .... i'll let you know how it goes....the book is great...a great jumpstart....keep posting...we are here...:welcome: buckle

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

NYC,
                      You can download the book right now in PDF format from the website. go to the health store link. It will make a nice Sunday read.

Hope that helps and Welcome
                      If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

I think the societal pressures you mentioned are all too true. It's so unfair that this drug is being pushed everywhere and it's so damaging. For young women in big cities it can be particularly dangerous because you can fall prey to dangerous people if you don't know what you are doing.

I find that there are important differences in various cultures. in particular, the UK culture is very centered around booze. living in an environment where boozing is not encouraged and outdoor activities and healthy lifestyles are the norm makes it easier to stay on track for sure. I am glad there are some other people who lived in NY on this site and may be able to offer you specific advice for this setting. I would urge you to stay in touch with them and learn from them. There must be some people who are into outdoor activities in new york, right? i have never been there and don't know what they would be.

you might want to look up Allan Carr's Easy Way to control drinking. He really exposes the societal pressures for what they are. he advocates abstinence but you can still learn from him even if your goal is moderation. this book addresses psychological issues.

There are also a lot of physical issues too, addressed in the book Seven Steps to Sobriety, see the research section for more on this. when you drink a lot, you really strip your body of nutrients you need to keep an even keel, so you wind up in this really bad cycle where you crave booze.

There are so many theories out there about what causes alcohol problems and how to cure them. a lot more than AA, even though AA is the dominant model. I hope someday there are more established programs to choose from. I know that AA is not for me. Like you the religious angle turns me off. And the lack of anonymity, and the fact that everyone asks for your phone number as soon as you walk through the door! yikes!!!
                        i ran a mile.

good luck.

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hi NYC: Please know that we all have a similar story to yours...details may be different but the aftereffects & afterfeelings are the same. I've been here since April, & while my progress has been very erratic, I feel more hope than I've ever felt. Also, the people here at MWO are the only ones that I've come out to that I'm alcoholic. I'm sure friends & family know I have a problem but it's never been discussed openly. I keep a record of my drinking in the DrinkTracker which gives me a visual of what I've been drinking (pretty shocking at times). I am a person who cannot moderate. I can't stop once I start. So AF is my goal. Good luck. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hi all,

Thank you for all your support this past weekend. It was a rough one (one of many in recent months unfortunately). The past week or so has been a really stressful one at work and just in life, so I've been really not taking care of myself. In addition, to drinking more, I've also been drinking caffeine (something I do occasionally, but generally gave up about 7 years ago), not eating right, and haven't really been to the gym in weeks...all leading to me really feeling crappy physically and emotionally. Monday and Tuesday I felt like crap too. I had a lot of trouble falling asleep on Monday night, just because of all of my anxiety about everything (and one too many coffees), so I made myself a drink at like 3:30 (and then another - naturally, they did nothing to help me fall asleep!). Yesterday, I also just felt awful and gross and exhausted, I came home with a bottle of wine intending to drink the whole thing. I had a maybe two glasses, poured a third, and just felt disgusted with the idea of finishing it. It's still sitting on the nightstand next to my bed half full. I think I've gotten to the point of just wearing myself out on the idea of drinking, so I'm glad for many reasons that I've decided to start this program now.

I bought the book and have been reading it whenever I can. I've decided not to do the topamax as I don't like to be on pills and would feel more comfortable doing this naturally (if I feel like I need them later, I'll look into it though, but I personally don't feel like I will). All my supplements are in the mail on their way here, and I ordered the hypnotherapy cd's today too. I'm hoping everything arrives by early next week. I fortunately have the next two days off from work, so I'm going to just try to relax, read, get some exercise and generally reflect on everything. The weekend will also be pretty laidback since right now I'm just trying not to put myself in situations that encourage drinking (not that I don't drink plenty at home by myself but still!). Next Wednesday I'm throwing a benefit party, so I can't avoid being at a bar, and will probably be drinking. So I'm going to give myself thursday to recover and regroup, then start the program next friday. I think that gives me enough time to plan and get everything together. I'm really excited about the prospect of not always looking so forward to opportunities to drink, and also to the hypnotherapy. I know a lot of my problems stem from anxiety, so I'm interested in seeing how that helps me to relax and deal with my stress level. I'm hoping if I can start to cope better with stress, it will also be a lot easier to not reach for a drink when I'm upset or angry. Any suggestions or pointers for the first couple weeks?

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Glad to hear from you, NYC girl! Sorry the weekend was so difficult but it sounds like you have a good plan...it can be helpful to approach this slowly and carefully--just jumping in and becoming AF works for some folks--but I think the slow approach may work better in the long run...you have time to start to visualize a new way of living and to make plans for what that is going to look like.

Good for you!

Atypically, I am not full of suggestions at the moment--

But perhaps try drinking a lot of water, avoid sugar and junk food and, maybe most importantly, don't fall into "this my last week of drinking so I might as well go all out" syndrome....this is a completely understandable mind set, but all you'll have are some more unhappy experiences to have in your memory bank and, maybe, some serious consequences as well...

Be well and be careful. This takes a lot of courage--you can do it!
                              "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Working...
                              X