Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another sunday hangover!

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm sat in front of the tv feeling really ill, again! This is the way my sundays go at the moment, every saturday I tell myself I won't get too drunk, but here I am again feeling totally awful and hating myself for doing this to myself. I have really good friends, I don't usually drink in the week, but come saturday night I just can't stop. I try and say, I'll just have a couple and pace myself but once I've had 3 glasses of wine I kind of go into party mode and can't stop. My friend says I get unresponsive and don't talk when I'm drunk like that and I really hate thinking about what I'm like. A few weeks ago I went on a hen night and fell over and still have bruises all over my legs. The other friday I fell over again and now have a bruise on my arm, so embarrassing!

Last night I got plastered again and feel really ashamed of myself. Recently I seem to be getting more blackouts, its really horrible. Some people tell me its funny to fall over etc. but I don't really think its funny anymore. I'm quite scared that I can't stop this pattern now. Hopefully next saturday will be different and I'll not get so drunk, though thats what I said last week!

I also find it quite difficult to think about going out and not drinking. Any advice would be very welcome!

Another sunday hangover!

Gossip, have you read MWO yet? Read that, get some supplements and create a plan for your next Sat. evening. Do you have any friends that you feel comfortable in telling this to? So maybe you can plan to spend the evening with them instead of drinking with the others. It's tough, no way around it. But planning and being armed with information via MWO and your supplements should help
    God Bless
    Mar

Comment

Another sunday hangover!

Hi gossip,

Welcome to MWO.

I think abs is 10000x easier than moderating. Once I start to drink, I drink until it is all gone so it is much easier not to even start. Sounds like you might be similar. Blackouts are bad news. I have had too many and my goal is never again. Someone has the comment in their auto-signature that " Drunk is not pretty." That is so true. It is not pretty and it is not funny. If it is difficult to think about going out and not drinking, don't go out. You health and sanity deserve a break.

Hey gossip, what the heck is hen night???

All the best to you. There are a lot of success stories on this site. You can be the next one.

Comment

Another sunday hangover!

Hi there, thanks for your replies back, think planning my saturday is best yes and reading up on everything. My friend that I go out with usually on a saturday does know how I feel and I have spoken to her about it, I'll have to make sure if she arrives at the bar before me to get me a diet coke or something.

PS. Lucky, a hen night is a night out for someone thats getting married, kind of like last night of freedom being a single girl, there was lots of alcholol! oops

Comment

Another sunday hangover!

It's really awful to think of wasting all of your sundays, sick at home.

I know it's hard to imagine going without the alcohol but you don't know what it is like until you try. I found it hard to imagine once and it got so bad I felt I had no choice. I did six months and it wasn't actually that bad at all. I confided in one close friend I went out with in groups and she made me feel comfortable. She or I ordered myself tonic water with lime, which looks like a cocktail. I looked on as everyone got plastered.
          I drank alcohol free beer at home.

I had six months of living without fear of the things I could be doing and dangers of getting plastered. if you get separated from friends in that state, it can be dangerous.

I hope you keep coming to the site and learning along with the rest of us.

Comment

Another sunday hangover!

Hi Gossip-

Sounds like it is time to start being good to yourself. Black outs are very scary. The awful feeling of not knowing what you did or how you got that bruise or 'did that really happen or did I make that up'? Glad you are here. This can be the beginning of truly feeling good.
            Without the alcohol....
            Lisa

Comment

Another sunday hangover!

Hi Gossip,

I'm really sorry you're feeling so awful today. You talk about feeling 'ashamed' and to me feelings of shame and guilt always have been triggers to drinking. Eventually the alcohol numbs those feelings, and the emphasis is on 'eventually'. End result is of course more shame and guilt and so it goes spiralling out of control.

Maybe as well as getting your friend to support you, you can also try being really kind to yourself? To tell yourself that it's nothing to be ashamed about to have a problem and that you deserve so much more?

I've learnt to do that more than I used to (though still a long way to go) and when I do feel kind to and accepting of myself as I am, it definitely affects whether I drink or not and how much.

Also, I've just managed a (short) party where the champagne was flowing without drinking thanks to the support of people here. Maybe you can post on here a few hours before going out next weekend, talk about what worries you? Then read the responses just before you go and keep them in your mind.

Take care and don't give up on yourself.
              Uli

Comment

Another sunday hangover!

Hi gossip and welcome.
                I only just started moderating last wk., so am really rather new to all this, but I already feel I`m finding my way. Managed to successfully moderate, and am already 2 nights alcohol free again..........plan not to drink until Sat. night. But!!!.........I was a real mess when I came to this site, and wanted some sort of miraculous cure for my alcohol addiction, until I realised I could do it, but that I had to do it for myself. So, despite considering myself a `lost cause`, I made a start, and I feel good.
                I think that the first step is perhaps the hardest, and think staying home the first weekend could see you on your way. Seems like rather extreme tactics if you`re used to going out at weekend, but just trying to help.

Best wishes,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Another sunday hangover!

hi gossip
                  dont know if you have read any of my posts but you will see they are very similar, moderation is not for me i have been on this merry-go-round for 20 yrs now and i want to get off, my kids deserve a better mum and a better roll model, can you imagin how they will deal with shit after watching me wasted every weekend. lets hope they learn what not to do. hang in there my advice is dont start.
                  chill
                  ACCEPTANCE IS A POWERFUL THING

Comment

Working...
                  X