Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee reduces the chances of chirrosis of the liver???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did ya'll hear the news report stating that drinking a cup of coffee a day reduces the odds of getting chirrosis by 20%? WOW! I wonder if decaf counts?

Jane... that was on the headlines of my newspaper today... ya gotta love that!! I love coffee almost as much as wine.... ALMOST.

Comment

Good thing I drink so much coffee at work. There are 3 coffee drinkers in my room and we go through 3-4 pots a day!

Marcie

Comment

I take that back... the HEADLINES were about the Hurricane, Alberto, which swept through just nicely....

Off to the left, was the article about the coffee. It says that in a study of more than 125,000 people, one cup of coffee per day cut the risk of alcoholic cirrhosis by 20 percent. Four cups per day reduced the risk by 80 percent. The coffee effect held true for women and men of various ethnic backgrounds. It went onto say that it is unclear whether it is the caffeine or some other ingredient in coffee that provides the protection, said study co-author Klatsky of Kaiser Permanente Division Research in Oakland California.

Comment

Here is the article

CHICAGO - Coffee may counteract alcohol?s poisonous effects on the liver and help prevent cirrhosis, researchers say.

In a study of more than 125,000 people, one cup of coffee per day cut the risk of alcoholic cirrhosis by 20 percent. Four cups per day reduced the risk by 80 percent. The coffee effect held true for women and men of various ethnic backgrounds.

It is unclear whether it is the caffeine or some other ingredient in coffee that provides the protection, said study co-author Dr. Arthur Klatsky of the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research in Oakland, Calif.

The way to avoid getting ill is not to drink a lot of coffee, but to cut down on the drinking? of alcohol, he said.

The participants ranged from teetotalers, who made up 12 percent of the total, to heavy drinkers, who made up 8 percent. The researchers calculated the risk reductions rate for the whole group, not just the drinkers.

Not all heavy drinkers develop cirrhosis, an irreversible scarring of the liver that hurts the organ?s ability to filter toxins from the blood. Klatsky said the new findings may help explain why some people?s livers survive heavy alcohol use.

Hepatitis C and some inherited diseases can also cause cirrhosis. But the study found coffee did not protect the liver against those other causes of scarring.

Improved liver function
          The same study found coffee drinkers had healthier results on blood tests used to measure liver function, whether or not they were heavy alcohol users. Coffee?s effect on reducing liver enzymes in the blood was more apparent among the heavy drinkers in the study.

Cirrhosis from all causes kills more than 27,000 Americans a year and sends nearly 400,000 to the hospital.

The findings, published in Monday?s Archives of Internal Medicine, Test yourself

? Do you have a drinking problem?

build on reports that coffee also may reduce the risk of liver cancer.

The data came from members of a Northern California health plan. Their coffee consumption was noted only at the beginning of the study, which the researchers admitted was a limitation. They were followed for an average of 14 years.

The researchers found no reduced risk of cirrhosis for tea drinkers. Tea has less caffeine than coffee and there were fewer heavy tea drinkers in the study, so if caffeine is the protective ingredient, an effect may not have shown up for tea in the study, Klatsky said.

[www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13281392/

Comment

count me in for a triple espresso:rollin

Comment

Yahoo!!! If coffee reduces the chance of chirrosis, I'm gonna live forever.!!

Comment

Being pregnant, it has been easier to cut down/give up beer and wine than give up coffee!

Comment

no wonder my dad is still with us :rollin

Comment

Hi all,

I heard about this study on NPR this morning. Let's just remember one thing, though - a heavy drinker was defined as someone who had THREE drinks a day.

Now, I know on my bad days - that's just a warm-up
                    :lol

Take care,
                    Pansy

Comment

HOw exciting to see this on the board!!! I saw this on the AM news before I left for work. I had given up coffee when I went Atkins (cannot do that anymore, too old, high cholesterol, you all know what an a$$ I was last night and in my post about it). Anyway, I think I'll take up at least one cup of coffee now in the AM, whether or not I drink. I am hoping I don't drink, but if it MIGHT clear damage already done (which I am not sure, got complete blood test results after complete physical and doc did not mention liver probs, thank the lord) I'll start drinking it again.
                      Best
                      Cathy
                      Wait, that came out wrong. Need to edit!!!!! no, I am not going to start drinking again (alcohol). I meant coffee.

Comment

I like my coffee in the morning and my wine in the evening. I see now they are a perfect combination.

Comment

It was precisely that story that led me here. I found myself thinking, well, drink more coffee. Then I realized how sick that sounded. It's hysterical to think that there were all this people I have now found who were having the same thoughts. Last night was my first night with just one glass of wine. I announced to my family (by email) that I was trying this program.

Comment

fsophiah,

Soooo glad you surfed in here. WELCOME and congrats on making a great decision! This is a friendly bunch. Hang out. Read. Post. Chat. It's all good!

Comment

Working...
                            X