Partied Sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partied Sober

Hi Newbies: I just got back from a party where I did not drink. There was a lovely bar w/all my favs (wh. wine, vodka, etc.), but I had made a decision beforehand that I wasn't going to drink & stuck w/my decision. I walked in w/a big bottle of diet iced tea & sipped from that right off the bat. That gave me the chance to think & stay to my plan instead of impulsively reaching for a drink. I definitely missed the social lubrication in the beginning. I just made myself focus on conversation & eventually got through the awkward period. As the party wore on, I could spot the over-indulgers, & they certainly weren't having a big barrel of fun. If anything, they were starting to seem dragged down as time went on. I left the party having had some very nice conversations & feeling very good about myself. Because I didn't drink, I wasn't obssessed about what & when & how much to drink. I'll try to store this experience in my memory bank for when I go out again & there's plenty of liquor there. I did quite nicely wo/it. I could never have done this wo/MWO. Thank you so much everyone. Day 3 AF is coming to a close. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Partied Sober

Bravo Ret!!! That is a toughie and you did it. I think you are so right, that once you get past the initial period of getting there you realize you are fine. Keep it up! You can do this!!
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Partied Sober

Well done! And after only 3 days AF... what willpower
      One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Partied Sober

Very Fine Mary,
        An example for all of us who have not been put to the test yet and some who have. You were down on yourself a couple of days ago and now you can forget all about that. These small victories win the big battle.

:thumbs:
        If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Partied Sober

whats AF mean guys?

Comment

Partied Sober

OOOOOOOOH alcohol free lol ok nevermind

Comment

Partied Sober

:goodjob: Hi Teach!

That is so cool that you got through an event like that. No doubt future events will be easier to manage now that you have this under your belt.

I am cheering for you!

Comment

Partied Sober

i was invited to a bday party for this coming friday. its at a popular pub here in edmonton. my friend candice invited me to go with her kindof as her date i guess. she is also a recovering alky. she wants some "sober company" but i dont know if i can resist?!?! i have a hard time saying no to her too lol, (ive had a bit of a crush on her for a while...) so on one hand, id really like to go hang out with her, have a good time and that. but im scared shi**less of going to a bar. should i go?

Comment

Partied Sober

Outstanding Mary! An inspiration to us all. Bet you feel good this morning.

Take care,
                  Uli

Comment

Partied Sober

Maryteach,
                    You give me the guts to try it too. Lots of parties coming up. I've been AF for over 4 weeks, but can feel the resolve melting as the parties fast approach. I'm thinking, ok, just a couple drinks (ha ha-- when has that worked?). Now I'm gonna think, she did it and it wasn't so bad. Just get through the first hour and it will be ok. Thanks and keep it up.

Ghostman, can you try to do what Mary did? Also, if your friend is AF won't that make it easier to not drink alcohol? How about if you make a wager with her that you can both do the whole night without? Or maybe you two should just go for a little while and then go out somewhere else, eh? btw, how's it going with the AF?
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Partied Sober

Hi Re teacher well done you..i,ve noticed too that the evenings are more enjoyable when i,m sober in many ways...
                      i can follow the conversation

2. i can contribute to it...when sloshed i tire easily and withdraw.

3. i dont need the loo every half hour

4. i actually eat and enjoy it instead of not bothering with the food.

5. i feel more attracive as i watch other women stagger arounn dishevelled!

6. i always remind myself that i cant so any of it without the Grace of god, and the support from hubby, friends and you honest people.

sincerely glad for you RE a i have been reading your struggles to get going AF

So so pleased for you...Regards Cassy

Comment

Partied Sober

Well done Mary :goodjob:
                        Facing temptation like that and all at only 3 days AF....
                        You should be pleased.
                        Victoria

Comment

Partied Sober

Well done retteacher, in resisting such enormous temptation.
                          It`s quite an eye-opener to go out socially and not drink. Isn`t it funny (not!!!) how we go all-out to look like the `belle of the ball` for a party, only to end the evening looking like a dishevelled tramp, having overindulged in the booze.

Good luck for today.

Starlight Impress

Comment

Partied Sober

:goodjob: Mary,

I'm so pleased for you well done, now you know you can do it!!!

Kitty
                            Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                            Confucius

Comment

Partied Sober

Hey well done Mary, it is one thing saying you're not going to drink when you go out but actually carrying it through is something else - a brilliant achievement for you!! Janicexx
                              AF since 9 May 2012
                              Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Working...
                              X