NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

A very Good Morning to Everyone today and a special welcome to Luc,:welcome:

WOW, I've just finished reading through yesterdays thread and what a wonderful thread it was, there was a bit of everything there; we really have a great team going on here. You are all such wonderful, inspiring, compassionate people and we all work so well together, it's instantaneous clockwork. We all, each and every one of us, have something wonderful to offer, whether it be in the way of kindness, humour, compassion, support, knowledge; whatever we are in need of, we can find it here amongst ourselves without an ounce of a doubt. Thank you all for sharing your qualities throughout the boards each and every day.

Now I need to tell you guys that I'm going to be absent for 4/5 weeks (surgery - tell you more when I come back - didn't really want to tell you the surgery part - but don't want you to think I'm jumping ship), I miss you all already :upset: :upset: but just wanted to tell you before I leave that:

"On 7 May 2007, whilst feeling 100% down and useless, as I was yet again struggling with the devastating effects of my daily, dreaded hangover, I stumbled across MWO, and my goodness, what a blessing it has been. Today, thanks to you guys I am starting my AF day 46 and words cannot describe how much life has changed for my family (most importantly) and myself. It would not have been possible without you guys and I want to express my sincerest thanks to all of you for helping me to achieve something which I honestly believed was "impossible"; I will never be able to thank you all enough for changing my life around, thank you from the bottom of my heart."

I really need to get going now but couldn't leave you without a quote, so:

Quote for today: The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.

Arthur C. Clarke

Love you ALL, Please Take Good Care of Each Other

(PS - I'm not a "LOVEY/DOVEY/HUGGY" Person - but I am so emotionally driven by you all that it just sort of pops out!)

Bluesky XXX :l
    It is easier to stay out than get out.

Mark Twain

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Bluesky, Thankyou for starting off today, I have followed you success and so pleased you have achieved so much for yourself and your family, I hope I can follow in your footsteps. So sorry that you have to have surgery, I do hope it is nothing too serious, please keep us posted, my thoughts are with you, you might like to read the poem Ive put about you all on here, you are in there. Take care and catch up later.:h

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Bluesky,
      You will be sorely missed, but we`ll `keep your seat`!!! lol
      Sorry to hear about the surgery-hope it all goes well. Yip, I really do think we`re a great bunch, helping each other as we do!!!

Your progress is wonderful-am so thrilled for you.

Doesn`t garden girls poem just rock!!!

Have a great day everyone,

Starlight Impress

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Day 14 of not drinking ... i'm feeling like a bevvy. Fought the craving (or maybe it's 'desire' right now), about to make a herbal tea.

Dammit, really feel like chocolate, but apparently it's contributing to my miagraines, so apparently i have to stop! Crickey, can't i have anything good in my life?

Hope everyone's doing well and i hope your surgery goes well Bluesky. Let us know when you're off and when you are coming back so we can keep tabs on you. Lol. Only joking, but let us know anyway.
        One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Thanks Blue, good luck for your surgery and well done for your af days. I wish I could be saying the same by now but day 3 will have to do for me today.

Morning Starlight, and Garden Girl your poem is lovely it was the first thing I read today and it has cheered me for the day.

Change 14 days is just super. I really feel for you that you can't eat chocolate, I'm on day 3 af and haven't had a cigarette for 2 days and I can't imagine not to be able to have a little treat of chocolate each night. I'm also dieting so feel pretty much denied everything at the moment!!!

I looked on the internet about the link between chocolate and migraines, and found an article that said White chocolate should not cause you any problems, as it does not contain the cocoa liquors that milk & dark do. I know it's not to everyones taste. I like it but it is quite sweet, so just a thought for you, and I suppose there is Carob as another alternative.

Well I had an awful nights sleep, woke up twice crying and quite frankly I was glad when I finally woke up this morning. I don't think my poor body knows what's going on with no booze or cigarettes it must be a shock. I'm so used to passing out rather than actually going to sleep.

Have a good day everyone, see you all later.

Kitty
          Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
          Confucius

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Ditching the crutch

Hi all

Wow bluesky, I didn't realize you had 46 days AF!!! I hope your surgery goes well. Don't they have Internet access in the hospital? Boo hoo, hope you can check in!

And Change, wow, 14 days is great too.

Rottrod, I read your post about 10 pounds off yesterday. That is AMAZING. Wish I could do that.

Kitty, going AF really does affect your sleep. Have you tried melatonin at night?
            I admire you for quitting the cigarettes at the same time. In some ways it seems like a lot to do at the same time. But on the other hand, the changes will work together to make you feel more healthy and reduce cravings.

I try to think less about diets nowadays and more about overall health. Instead of feeling deprived about cutting down on drinking, I just think of it as a healthier lifestyle because I believe alcohol is inherently addictive and becomes an emotional crutch.

Overweight isn't healthy and neither are cigarettes. Smoking is such a tough habit to crack and I hope you can do it . Have you read Alan Carr's Easyway to stop smoking book? I read his alcohol book but it's his smoking book that has been the real sensation. Look at all the reviews on Amazon.

As for me, I am still hoping (dreaming) I can moderate. I am noticing the kinds of feelings that used to send me on a binge (sadness, loneliness, pretty much any negative emotion) and thinking of things I can do to deal with them more constructively in the future. Per instructions from the How to Quit AA without drinking book, I need to pick some daily non-drinking habits to change as of next week to give me some practice in change. The book was very positive-- everyone can change.

Yesterday I bought classic meditation CDs and a book by the Buddhist nun Pema Chodron called Comfortable with Uncertainty. I think this will help me deal better with realities of life.

Hope you all have or had a great day

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Chin up!

Kitty;152440 wrote: I looked on the internet about the link between chocolate and migraines, and found an article that said White chocolate should not cause you any problems, as it does not contain the cocoa liquors that milk & dark do. I know it's not to everyones taste. I like it but it is quite sweet, so just a thought for you, and I suppose there is Carob as another alternative.
              Oh Kitty, thanks for that! I am going to have a look myself tonight. White chocolate is not that bad, i might try to find an alternative, like a sugar-free version (this is getting yuckier and yuckier the more i think about it. Lol). And carob is just... out of the question, i think. I used to always think of it as a poor substitute for chocolate, but desperate times require desperate methods :thumbs: . Apparently sugar is linked to miagraines as well. Anyway, some research is on the way.

Well, hey, 3 days is good and congratulations for giving up the ciggies and the other stuff together. That takes quite a lot of willpower. You will feel better, honestly. It's almost as if you don't know yourself drinking and then you give up and you re-discover who you are.

Nancy, loneliness and sadness is in everyone's lives, we just don't talk about it. I guess the one thing i can say is that even though it seems like the booze gets rid of that, it is only a temporary stop. I know what you mean about feeling emotional sometimes... Sometimes we can attribute it to the alcohol, coming down and withdrawing, but other times, it is just part of being human and in a way, i am rejoicing in feeling down, because it means that i am human and i find that the more work you put into yourself, the more rewards there are later.

Ever noticed that after a 'down' time, you all of a sudden feel better? Well, life seems like a race to me and it is a series of hurdles and once one hurdle is jumped, you have a free run for a while. I guess another thing is that nothing stays the same for ever, so in those down times, you can realise that it won't last forever.

I am sure that the better times outweight the down times though
              One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Nancy, just realised, if alcohol is a crutch, then you have an injured leg (your emotions). When you give up the crutch, you get an opportunity to exercise that leg and it becomes strengthened.

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Hello everyone,
                  Yesterday I was late, today I am early. go figure.

Bluesky, you are full of surprises. Is there someone who can let us know how you are doing? If not just know that you will be in our thoughts and prayers while you are away. Anoint Janice with oil in cyber space to take your spot as thread beginner since she did a good job while you were gone before.

Kitty you are putting yourself through a lot these days. How was your interview????? did I miss it? You should treat yourself to a spa day. go get a sauna and massage, get all relaxed then have a nice dinner and get a good night's sleep.

Nancy I bet you have a stack of books reaching up to the celing. My problem is I hate self help books because my mom crammed them down my throat when I was a kid. Can you imagine making a 12 year old kid read The Power of Positive Thinking? No wonder I was messed up! LOL

Have a great day everyone. Check in later if you get the chance.

Melissa
                  If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Hi Rottrod,

Funny I was just reading your message when the phone went. I have been asked to start next Tuesday! It's not exactly what I want but a start and I applied for another great job at my SIL's hotel yesterday so hopefully something will come of that too.

I'm just thankful that I'll be busy again and earning some money.

Just been for a light workout, I'm trying to do everything a bit more calmly. I usually go to the gym and go crazy for a few days then not go for ages because I got bored, so just 30mins of cardio today.

Nancy I'm going to get some Melatonin, I have used it before and it was effective. Only thing is if I remember right you can't buy it in the shops here so it may have to be an ebay job! I'll get some sleepeze in the meantime that works too. I know I'm taking on alot trying to quit 2 addictions at once, but you're right, one craving does kind of feed the other, and I really associate both things together.

Have a good day all, see you later,

Kitty
                    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                    Confucius

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Kitty,
                      That is fantastic!
                      Having a job will make a huge difference in your life!

Melissa

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Hi everyone. Just a quick note from my vacation in Seattle. Am not able to keep up with all that is happening to everyone! Bluesky, do check in if you can. Congrats on all those af days, I'm sure they will make recovery from surgery much easier. We all promise to carry on so will be here when you get back. Thanks to several of you for smiles this morning. Gardengirl, for the poem. Are you now a gopher eating the garden? Nancy for the unintentional "how to quit AA without drinking". And Rotrod for the vision of a 12 yr old reading books on positive thinking. My news: after totally overdoing it for absolutely no reason last Sat, I'm back on track (1 glass wine last night since). My stepson graduated from high school last night. He is so thrilled - he has always hated school (announced when 6 he wanted to be a dog as dogs did not have to go to school). Someday hopefully he will be off to college but for now is taking a break. And very early this am I became a great aunt! Very exciting. Tomorrow off to Lopez Island with stepson for a couple days of typical NW drizzle so may be out of touch again. Hope you all stay doing well and that you get the job Kitty. Barbie, we will have to start a thread on exciting things to do sober. No throwing chrystal, no car crashes.... Congratulations Kitty! Celebrate with nice tea or pellegrino/perrier.

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Louise, good to hear from you. I hope you are enjoying Seattle. That is my favorite US city. I can totally relate to your stepson. I hated every minute of school from kindergarten to the last class of college. congratulations on becoming a great aunt. Hurry back and help me keep Mona in line, she is quite the hand full. LOL

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

Hi all!

Bluesky, so sorry you will be gone. We will all miss your upbeat startups. We'll try our best to fill in for you. Good luck with the surgery.

Everyone seems to be doing well. I had a little slip last night (not too bad) but back to mods today. Even my slips are not as bad as they used to be so that is progress.

Have to run but bbl.

Comment

NEWBIES IN NEED - DAY 20

HI everyone, AF day 3 for me. Talking of insomnia I could not get to sleep and my husband couldn't either so late start for me today. Bluesky I am sorry to hear you are going in for surgery, people have been wondering about a lobotomy for me but I have stayed firmly against:H But I'm sure yours (tho not a lobotomy) , is really needed and you will sail thru. I'll cut some paper roses for you and color them and pin them to my office bulletin and think of you. It would surprise noone to see me do this at work........after all they are the lobotomy urgers!

I don't usually have a chocolate craving, although I do like white chocolate, but if I had to give up cheese I would have that lobotomy....I don't see how else I could go on......I wouldn't think of a MWO for cheeseaholics!

Glad you like my hometown, Seattle. Kinda partial to it too! But the traffic you can have!

Comment

Working...
                              X