Do we really need food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we really need food?

While shovelling a mega-salad into my face the other night, I started thinking some subversive thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I really like salads, but...

What started gnawing at the edge of the puny brain I have left after years of abuse is:
    Why do we have to eat food? It takes so much time to prepare, to shop for the ingredients, to make, and to clean up after (not to mention all the effort put into growing the stuff). Can't we just get everything we need through supplements?

Ok, I know this sounds like a frivolous thread, but I am partly serious here. I'm sure there are folks out there who know more about this than I do.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Do we really need food?

hi beatle , im gonna have 2 start eating good soon an supps, check old thread a mine , i been drs xxx
    :upset: lol the assmaster!! im slowly tryin to unwedge my head out my arse !!

Comment

Do we really need food?

Well, years ago there were some news articles about the "Breatharians" who proportedly survived on AIR ... but then their leader was exposed for sneaking into fast food places. As far as surviving on supplements ... they just don't give our innards enough to work on to keep our bodies doing what they need to do. I suppose you could get an IV drip and see how that goes for a little while.
      "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Do we really need food?

Wow it has got me thinking. Do we need food? I know there is a diet program called lighterlife where people give up solid foods for a month or two to help them shed weight. Instead they are given a food replacment drink to have 3 times a day.

I suppose people have been eating for many many years but what we eat has changed. I know my granparents would never dream of eating food that was not home cooked. They live on a simple diet of chappati rice and lentils, fresh fruit and veg.

Can I ask do we need meat? Being vegetarian and married to a guy who loves his meat I have this debate with him all the time.

Comment

Do we really need food?

wow, some intersting answers already. I was worried it wouldn't be taken seriously, even though I think it is a legit question.

As for meat, it is obvious we do not need it, as there are many ancient and current cultures that lived/live very well without meat. (yes, I am vegetarian, but not for health reasons-- I just can't bear putting dead animals and all their suffering into my body-- what kind of nutrition is that?)

The IV drip is not really appealing to me either, but maybe if it really worked... at least there'd be no washing up.

But back to the question-- I think there are probably good reasons we have to eat food and not live on just supplements but I really want to know the reasons.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Do we really need food?

I know I can easily live on about 1/10 of the food my Hubby eats! He's always telling me I need to eat more.
            I eat when i'm hungry. It's incredible the amount of food he can consume!
            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Do we really need food?

beatle, supplements offer us the nutrients that science is aware of. It would be silly to think that all that is in food that we need has been identified by science and made into a supplement. Also, the wondrous planet of ours creates synergies in everything. "This" only works when it is paired with "that". That's what the concept of eating "whole" foods is about - getting exactly the food that nature created for us (ie, as opposed to white flour where the vitamins have been stripped off the wheat seed to make white flour, then added back in - because people were dying from malnutrition after teh invention of refined wheat flour)....

And - let us not forget - whole, real, fresh food has CHI. Do not underestimate the power of life force/energy. It comes from the sun, the soil, the rain.... and chi does not survive processing in factories to make it's way into a vitamin bottle.

I am a supporter and believer in supplements. But just as that - supplements.
              Hugs,
              imatree

Comment

Do we really need food?

The people who live the longest are the ones who eat very little, small meals. They outlive most others, saw this on a TV special.

Sammys
                I do not think anyone can live on suppliments, your body needs fiber et. to function.

Comment

Do we really need food?

Once we have nanotechnology the carbon from our waste can be molecularly re-manipulated atom by atom back into food form so we will never have to go shopping again!
                  "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Do we really need food?

What did Zin just say?
                    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Do we really need food?

basically she said, "eat shit"
                      LOL
                      Hugs,
                      imatree

Comment

Do we really need food?

LMAO!!!!
                        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Do we really need food?

I think it was no shopping. That gets my thumbs up.

Comment

Do we really need food?

:H :alf: :moon: :giggle:

Imatree! That was too funny!
                            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Do we really need food?

hahahahha
                              It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                              James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X