Flexatarians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flexatarians

I just heard a new term for people like me - "flexatarians" - those of us who cook mostly vegetarian, but occasionally like a bit of meat mixed in with the veggies. I prefer to have meats grilled outside - burgers indoors are VERY messy! - and I enjoy meat when I go out for a meal. But mostly veggies, fish, and so on.

Vegetarians ARE supposed to have the best arteries, but they don't necessarily live the longest. I have found that going meat-free makes me VERY SPACEY. Because I love cooking veggie food, sometimes I forget to eat meat.

Anyone else going on less meat?
    "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Flexatarians

That's a new word for me but I know a lot of flexitarians, for sure.

If you feel like you need meat sometimes, you probably just need more protein, which you can get from vegetable sources (esp. legumes and nuts).

There are many other good reasons not to eat meat, like the harm it does to the environment and the waste of resources, but personally, I cannot eat meat because I can't help thinking about the suffering that the animal has been through and I don't want to contribute to that and I don't want that suffering to be a part of my body.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Flexatarians

I don't eat meat and have not done so for the last 13 years. I find being a vegetarian now easier than what it used to be. There is so much variety.

Have your tried meat free alternatives? They are easy to cook and you save on calories (if you're interested in that part). In the UK there are health shop that stock products that are meat free. But as Beatle said try to experiment with legumes and lentils. I can PM you some recipe if you want? I've even hosted a meat-free BBQ. However there were mixed reviews. For some reasons the kids loved it but the adults didn't.

Comment

Flexatarians

Lotus, that is so funny what you said about the BBQ. It reminds me of the many times we have had a lot of people over for pizza and even though we are vegetarians we have catered to the meat-eaters by providing pizzas with meat, and then it's the veggie pizzas that get eaten up first and the meat pizzas are always the leftovers.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Flexatarians

I was lacto vegi for 24 years(I still ate fish once in a while)
          I still cook mostly vegi. Although when Hubby grills steak, I enjoy a bite or 2 these days.
          I eat mostly vegis & fish, with some chicken now & then.
          I've never heard of that term..."flexatarian"

An image comes to mind of a greased up person scantilly clad, flexing their muscles with a carrot in their mouth!:H
          The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Flexatarians

I was a "pesca-vegetarian" for years (ate fish). Now I eat meat, but have less and less desire for it. I LOVE tofu.
            Hugs,
            imatree

Comment

Flexatarians

For me the key word is "FLEX" - when I eat meat I enjoy it and I have no inclination or desire to give it up. The wonderful thing about being a "flexatarian" that I am able to go pretty much anywhere and enjoy foods served locally, or by my hosts. When I've hooked up with vegetarians while travelling abroad, it has sometimes been enormously inconvenient for them (and so for me) to find a place where they can eat. At home, I get high quality meats, free range, grass fed when I can, and yes I enjoy cooking with all types of beans, but not a tofu fan.
              "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Flexatarians

Well, Imatree, I love tofu too! 2 of my 5 kids love it also-the rest are like their dad and won't even try it. Zin, I too try to do grass fed/ organic when I cook meat, but it gets very expensive for 6-7 people. I am eating mostly all veg mayself these days-just feels better for the summer.
                Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Flexatarians

My Hubby swears he HATES tofu... be he sure gobbles up my chile relleno casserole... guess he hasn't noticed the tofu in there, between the cheez & chiles! He even puts in a special request for it sometimes....( I modified the recipe from the one his Mom gave me, so it's not so fattening) What he don't know ..he seems to like just fine!:H
                  The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Flexatarians

Brilliant St. Jude!

I discovered a way to make tofu crispy and yummy... kids love it (or those in my house anyway).
                    I cube it up, add some tamari and let it sit to soak up the flavor. Then... add cornstarch to the bowl and stir gently to coat all the cubes. Fry in veg oil - like a quarter inch in non-stick pan, on med-high heat. Comes out crispy and golden brown! I make this for a weekend afternoon snack at my house. Yummmmm!!!!
                    Hugs,
                    imatree

Comment

Flexatarians

that sounds good. kinda like agedofu, eh?

Comment

Working...
                      X