Cheese Addiction!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheese Addiction!

I can't believe this! I do indeed have an intense craving for cheese--and if we have cheese in the fridge, I will eat it compulsively until it's gone... maybe this exerpt from an article I found at www.vegansource.com (I think that's the place...) has this to say:

"...As common as chocolate addiction may be, it is by no means the only potentially addictive food, nor is it the most dangerous. In PCRM's research studies, when we take people off meat, dairy products, and other unhealthy fare, we often find that the desire for cheese, in particular, lingers on much more strongly than for other foods. While they might like ice cream or yogurt, they describe their feelings for cheese as a deep-seated craving. Could cheese really be addictive?

Well, in 1981, Eli Hazum and his colleagues at Wellcome Research Laboratories in Research Triangle Park, N.C., reported a remarkable discovery. Analyzing samples of cow's milk, they found traces of a chemical that looked very much like morphine. They put it to one chemical test after another. And, finally, they arrived at the conclusion that, in fact, it is morphine. There is not a lot of it and not every sample had detectable levels. But there is indeed some morphine in both cow's milk and human milk.
    Morphine, of course, is an opiate and is highly addictive. So how did it get into milk?

At first, the researchers theorized that it must have come from the cows' diets. After all, morphine used in hospitals comes from poppies and is also produced naturally by a few other plants that the cows might have been eating. But it turns out that cows actually produce it within their bodies, just as poppies do. Traces of morphine, along with codeine and other opiates, are apparently produced in cows' livers and can end up in their milk.

But that was only the beginning, as other researchers soon found. Cow's milk-or the milk of any other species, for that matter-contains a protein, called casein, that breaks apart during digestion to release a whole host of opiates, called casomorphins. A cup of cow's milk contains about six grams of casein. Skim milk contains a bit more, and casein is concentrated in the production of cheese.

If you examined a casein molecule under a powerful microscope, it would look like a long chain of beads (the "beads" are amino acids-simple building blocks that combine to make up all the proteins in your body). When you drink a glass of milk or eat a slice of cheese, stomach acid and intestinal bacteria snip the casein molecular chains into casomorphins of various lengths. One of them, a short string made up of just five amino acids, has about one-tenth the pain-killing potency of morphine.

What are these opiates doing there, hidden in milk proteins? It appears that the opiates from mother's milk produce a calming effect on the infant and, in fact, may be responsible for a good measure of the mother-infant bond. No, it's not all lullabies and cooing. Psychological bonds always have a physical underpinning. Like it or not, mother's milk has a drug-like effect on the baby's brain that ensures that the baby will bond with Mom and continue to nurse and get the nutrients all babies need. Like heroin or codeine, casomorphins slow intestinal movements and have a decided antidiarrheal effect. The opiate effect may be why adults often find that cheese can be constipating, just as opiate painkillers are.

It is an open question to what extent dairy opiates enter the adult circulation. Until the 1990s, researchers thought that these protein fragments were too large to pass through the intestinal wall into the blood, except in infants, whose immature digestive tracts are not very selective about what passes through. They theorized that milk opiates mainly acted within the digestive tract and that they signaled comfort or relief to the brain indirectly, through the hormones traveling from the intestinal tract to the brain.

But French researchers fed skim milk and yogurt to volunteers and found that, sure enough, at least some casein fragments do pass into the bloodstream. They reach their peak about 40 minutes after eating.

Cheese contains far more casein than other dairy products do. As milk is turned into cheese, most of its water, whey proteins, and lactose sugar are removed, leaving behind concentrated casein and fat.

Cheese holds other drug-like compounds as well. It contains an amphetamine-like chemical called phenylethylamine, or PEA, which is also found in chocolate and sausage....."

I absolutely can't STAND it...but it does explain a lot!
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Cheese Addiction!

Wow, that is fascinating. I enjoy cheese a lot too and have some every day. Thanks for posting that.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

I looooove cheese!
      Thanks for sharing!
      Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

hey Sujul. You stole it from me. I KNEW that. Cheese is definitely addictive.
        (there goes the brain drain).
        btw, I also read that it takes longer to get sugar out of your system than alcohol. Folks in the know are callng it the new "white addiction".
        oh, also btw, coffee is supposed to be good for the liver. (See research forum). go figure.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

AF days see me scoffing all the strawberry cheesecake!!! lol

Starlight Impress

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

I have always loved cheese since I was a wee 'cheese-maggot' !!
            I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
            I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

Beatle--clearly we were separated at birth!

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

I adore cheese, and have a habit of eating it late at night. It always gives me the most vivid dreams though.

Thanks for the info.

Kitty
                Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                Confucius

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

And look at all the cheese addicts right here! Well, at least the consequences aren't that bad...only weight gain...and high cholesterol...and, well all those dairy, high-fat related maladies.....

I don't care!! I am NOT giving up cheese....

On another site, I also saw that food retailers use that cheese addiction to sell junk food...think about all the fast food ads that promise "extra cheese"!

And I remember that my sister-in-law who's from Ghana saying that "everything in America has cheese in it...." When they were coming over for dinner and I was deciding what to make I realized that just about EVERYTHING I was going to make did, in fact, include cheese as an ingredient....

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

Hey Kitty--I also eat cheese DURING the night! I have this odd night-eating syndrome (yes, it's a diagnosis...) and I would get up and eat cheese without being aware of it....I would just find "evidence" next morning...

Once I was an overnight guest and in the night I ate all the cheese they had planned to use in omelettes for breakfast.... I had to sheepishly explain my problem...but that was before it was a recognized disorder and I'm not sure anyone really believed that I could eat in the night and not be aware of it....sadly, unlike most of my other problems, it hasn't improved at all with being AF...

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

Have you heard of chreese-- it's for wannabe vegans who can't give up the cheese. No, I am not kidding. check it out at Road's End Organics.

About the being separated at birth part: How come you got to be the one to live in NYC?
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

That reminds me.. I'm almost out of string cheez sticks! They're great for river snacks...(low fat too!), and individually packed, Bungee likes em too
                        The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

Oh, Beatle, puhlease! Chreese??? Fugedaboudit! (That's New Yawkese for those who don't know....) You're forgetting the crucial statement:

"Analyzing samples of cow's milk, they found traces of a chemical that looked very much like morphine." Now, we wouldn't be getting that in that there chreese of yours, would we!!

Oh, and why do I get to be the one that lives in New York, Beat--well, as we know I'm the one who actually USES the brain we share.....ha!

BTW, I was actually born in England...many, many moons ago....so if you're English we're just that much more likely to be....Separated At Birth!

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

Haven't you heard of Morphreen? gee whiz, and I thought you new yorkers were sophisticated.

yeh, I'll agree about using the brain though. no use for it here where I am vegetating.

born in england and you admit it? hmm. gotta think that one over.

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

Oh Christ!

I have had the cheese addiction before and during the alcohol one! My sister, a love by the way, came into my house one day and was looking for something to eat in the fridge, she called a friend of mine to say, Christ, all she has in the fridge is like four different types of cheese! Yup, an addiction I will never resign. Health food people etc always advise giving up dairy and I have done it, even for 2 months at a time, you know what it did for me... ...nothing! Watch out brown cows..here I come.

Comment

Working...
                              X