Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milk thistle is not soluable in water!

Milk Thistle -- Summary Report

this is a very interesting site. haven't bought anything from them at this point. bumped into them doing research on gall bladder issues.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Okay I read that but I am confused. Taking pill form then does nothing? What if I have a small glass of wine while taking it? .
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Yeppers, its true! I've purchased the liq. from Gaia herbals, and mix with hot water and down the hatch, I can sure tell the difference even in my metabolism!
      "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Lushy, you are so funny....how 'bout we just pour the whole 2oz. in a bottle of wine and drink it, think it'll save the liver....lol.... I can really tell tho, after cutting way back, and doing the milk thistle that I feel loads better....
        "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Sounds right to me.

Well, so I need to switch to milk thistle extract and forget the pills? How come I never knew this? Okay, thanks D for posting it....

Comment

I'm not sure I understand. I thought the milk thistle--sylmarin extract in capsule form was the best way to take. I've been doing it for years. It's expensive shit so please don't tell me I've thrown away literally thousands and thousands of dollars (I buy the best stuff and it costs about $40.00 per bottle of 60 caps where I live, about a 2-week supply). Please, can somebody who knows explain!
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

yes I am confused too!

I just bought a bottle of milk thistle pills.

Comment

I use milk thistle pills, and they are effective. If you put a tablet into a glass of water,it would not dissolve, but our stomache's contain acids. Lots of pills would not dissolve in
                water but once we swallow them they do the job they are intended for.Don't worry
                Beatle and Nancy, you are not (in my opinion) wasting your money.

Comment

They are saying that their company is using a special method (alcohol) to retrieve the Silymarin from the milk thistle seed. Milk thistle is a seed and does not dissolve in water in order to take apart the seed and get the Silymarin. And they are talking about using 190 proof alcohol which is not used for consumption.That's all. Read the Extraction Page. Could be a gimmick or maybe other companies use this form of extraction to get their milk thistle products.

Nothing for us to worry & keep doing what we're doing. We're fine.
                  :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

From other research I did I am understanding that milk thistle is absorbed quicker when in alcohol, but I think the pills are still fine.

Comment

I am all about the omega's and hemp seed. I was all excited about the lithium whatever, like in Serenity, until I googled more. I don't think there is a bit of hype to the omegas.

Be well my dear wackos.

Did I just say that? I meant friends! Really!

xoxoxo

Comment

Ah-found something:I think this clarifies it.

Unfortunately, silymarin is very poorly soluble in water, so milk thistle is not effective in the form of a tea. Studies show that such a beverage contains less than 10 percent of the initial activity in the plant material. This poor solubility, coupled with the fact that silymarin is relatively poorly absorbed (20 to 50 percent) from the gastrointestinal tract, make it obvious that the active principles are best administered parenterally, that is, by injection. Oral use requires a concentrated product. Milk thistle is marketed in this country as a dietary supplement in the form of capsules containing 200 mg of a concentrated extract representing 140 mg of silymarin. Toxic effects resulting from the consumption of milk thistle have apparently not been reported. Twenty-one cases out of 2,169 (1 percent) in an observational study did report transient gastrointestinal side effects. Otherwise, it is considered very well-tolerated and quite effective. Milk Thistle

The Most Effective Way to Take Milk Thistle
                        So, if a person decides that she wants to try milk thistle, how should she take it in order to maximize its proclaimed effects on the liver? Well, since milk thistle does not easily dissolve in water, its purported benefits cannot be reaped by drinking it as a tea or by eating the leaves. The best way to take milk thistle is either in capsule form, especially from concentrate, or in a form that combines it with other substances?such as beta-cyclodextrin or phosphatidylcholine (silipide)?that render milk thistle more soluble in water. In this way, milk thistle becomes more bioavailable to the body, and its effects are maximized. The concentration of silymarin is highest in the seeds of the plant, although it is also found in the fruit and leaves.
                        With milk thistle, as with all herbal remedies, there is no standard recommended dose or length of time to take the herb in order to best achieve its purported benefits. Recommendations made on labels and in herbal publications vary?from as low as 70 milligrams twice per day to as high as 420 milligrams three times per day. Recommendations for duration of use range from one month to as long as nine months. There are no standard recommendations as to the best time of day to take the herb or whether to take it with food as opposed to on an empty stomach. The PDR for Herbal Medicines recommends 200 to 400 milligrams of silymarin daily, but contains no additional recommendations regarding its use. Milk Thistle For People With Hepatitis and Liver Disease
                        :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Thanks Breez, that cleared it up for me!

Comment

I'm still confused...should I buy the tinxture? they apparently know what they are talking about. i think I'll call the company on monday.
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                            X