Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't stop trying

Hello all.

This is my first post, though I first found this site over a year ago.

I am pushing 60 and have been drinking three glasses of wine to a bottle day for the last ten years. My husband drinks even more but thinks that we do not have a problem.

A few years ago, I confessed to my doctor and she gave me a percription for Antabuse and Trazadone - a anti-depressant. I was able to drink a half glass of wine on the Antabuse without side effects - if I drank any more than that I'd get covered in red blotches and my heart would start to race. I was able to get by for three months, then went back home for the holidays. My entire family drinks. I spent Christmas covered in red spots thinking I was going to have a heart attack. It really does take two weeks off of Anabuse before it is out of your system and you can drink.

When I found this site, I bought Topa off line. I stayed with it for three months inspite of terrible side effects - headache, body aches, tiredness, forgetfulness. I cut back from a bottle to one glass day. But, as soon as I stopped taking it, I worked my way up to a bottle again.

Next, I tried Campral which really did not have much of an effect on me at all.

So, I went back to Antabuse and Trazadone. I recently started taking an over-the-counter product called lithium orotate. It is inexpensive - under $20 for several months supply, and it seems to be working. I bought it at the Vitamin Shoppe. (There is a more expensive brand called Serenity. The testimonials on their Web site are worth reading.).

There is an abstract of a study done which you can find by searching on 'lithium orotate and alcholism'.

I have stopped taking the Trazadone which made me spacey. The lithium orotate does not seem ot have any side effects and it is safe.

Thanks for listening - It is good not to have to walk this road alone.

Won't stop trying

Hi Espoir, welcome to mwo. Keep reading and posting and you will not travel this
    difficult road alone. There are plenty of people on this site myself included who have
    the same problems as you.
    Best wishes Paula.

Comment

Won't stop trying

Hello Espoir (lovely name).

Same problems, but with different routes to a common goal.

Bonne chance espoir,

luc
      x
      Gonnabee not Wannabee

Comment

Won't stop trying

hi Espoir and welcome

it sounds to me that you have wanted to stop drinking, but not willing to do so. i say that because you have taken the various 'remedies' in the hope that it is enough and they have not worked. still drinking with the fear of heart attack must have been scarey, but not enough to stop you.
        from reading this site for a year you can see that it is mindset with the help of drugs/supps that works. Mindset comes first the rest helps.
        i'm glad that lithium orotate (never heard of it and will google it!) is working for you, but remember, you have to change your thinking about alcohol to succeed, whether abstaining or moderating.

i say this because i want to stop drinking but i dont want to enough, at the moment. i am trying and failing because i know i should for all the right reasons, but they do not convince at the crucial time.

keep posting, and we are here for you.

ooh, i hope this doesnt sound too po-faced, but i'm pressing 'sibmit' anyway

roxane

Comment

Won't stop trying

Hi Espoir and welcome,
          Really admire your `trial and error` approach - I guess that`s really what it comes down to -finding what works for us personally.

Agree wholeheartedly that trying to reclaim our lives from alcohol dependency is a particularly horrid journey to have to negotiate on one`s own -isn`t it so comforting that we`re all in this together!!!

Best wishes,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Won't stop trying

Keeping trying ! I've been out of circulation for awhile. My job takes me out of the country for long peroids of time. I still keep looking around when I get back and I can see all the people who keep struggleing day to day to keep sober. Where here to help.,,,,,I fight every day to stay sober & alive ! IAD
            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Won't stop trying

Welcome Espoir,
              Your post was very interesting, please keep posting on your progress.
              Are you taking any other supplements and how much are you drinking now if at all? I'm asking because I'm curious as to how the lithium orotate is working.

Take care,

Rottrod
              If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Won't stop trying

Welcome Espoir!

I always say try anything once (or twice). Glad you joined us.
                :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Won't stop trying

Welcome E!

I am off to Google the products you mentioned. Thanks for sharing your experience and I am glad you are no longer a lurker!

All the best!
                  lucky

Comment

Won't stop trying

Hi Espoir and :welcome:

So glad that you have stopped lurking and have jumped on board ......

We are a very supportive bunch and will be here for you if you need us ....

Love & Hugs, BB xx
                    sigpicXXX

Comment

Won't stop trying

Okay Espoir, you peaked my interest so I went looking so far just looking into it briefly I found these two articles.

The subjects were 42 alcoholic patients (33 males and 9 females) who were treated with lithium orotate during an alcohol rehabilitation program in a private clinical setting for at least six months. They derive from a total number of 105 patients who received this treatment initially, while the remainder discontinued the treatment within six months. The data were collected from a private practice record and the follow-up varied between six months and 10 years. The 42 patients studied displayed a multitude of complaints in addition to chronic alcoholism. These included liver dysfunction, seizure disorders, headaches, hyperthyroidism, affective disorders. Meniere's syndrome, liver and lung cancers. Thirty-six of the 42 patients studied had been hospitalized at least once for the management of their alcoholism. Lithium orotate was given, 150 mg daily, with a diet low in simple carbohydrates and containing moderate amounts of protein and fat. In addition, calcium orotate (for hepatic involvement), magnesium orotate, bromelaine, and essential phospholipids (for cardiac problems), and supportive measures were instituted, if required. Lithium orotate proved useful as the main pharmacologic agent for the treatment of alcoholism. Ten of the patients had no relapse for over three and up to 10 years, 13 patients remained without relapse for 1 to 3 years, and the remaining 12 had relapses between 6 to 12 months. Lithium orotate therapy was safe and the adverse side effects noted were minor, i.e., eight patients developed muscle weakness, loss of appetite or mild apathy. For these patients, the symptoms subsided when the daily dose was given 4 to 5 times weekly.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
                      PMID: 3718672 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

and this one is from crazy meds......it's interesting too.
                      Lithium Orotate - The Good, The Bad and The Funny. From People Who Have Taken These Crazy Meds...and SCIENCE!

Anyway thanks for the info!
                      :h :h :h :h

Comment

Won't stop trying

Thank you all for responding. As you know, alcoholism is a complex disease and each of us I pray will find our own unique way out of the pit. For me, the antabuse and lithium orotate is working. I am not drinking or even considering it. One of the reasons this works for me is the lack of side effects - no upset stomach or headaches. I feel good. I am taking All One which I love, but not other supplements. I hope to drop the Anatbuse in the next few weeks. I think the lithium has really reduced my desire to drink and calmed my nerves. I am feeling very grateful for the peace I am feeling right now. Thank youall for being here and taking the time to respond to my first post.

Comment

Won't stop trying

Hi,

Is lithium orotate something a doctor has to prescribe?:new:

Comment

Won't stop trying

Hi,

No, you can buy it in any vitamin store or online. The brand I am using is called Advanced Research.

Blessings

Comment

Won't stop trying

Lithium salts should be used with caution, I personally would not take without medical
                              advice. Regular blood tests are a requirement as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X