Nicotine and alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicotine and alcohol

This is a sobering website about dangers of cross-addiction.

The Sober Alcoholic's Stop Smoking Support Page

Nicotine and alcohol

Nancy, that was hard reading, but helpful thanks,

I think giving up the 2 at the same time has been difficult, but I do seem to be able to manage the two sets of cravings in tandem with each other.

I find that smoking does increase my cravings for a drink and vice versa as I am so used to doing both at the same time.

I am very pleased about the non smoking ban which was implemented here in April and will be UK wide come the 1st of July. I cannot at the moment bear the smell of smoke as it triggers a huge craving so it will be nice to go out to restaurants etc and not have to worry about that.

I feel a bit bad though because I have avoided my PIL's as they both smoke at home.

Anyone else have any experience of managing the two addictions???

Kitty
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

I quit both booze and cigarettes at the same time. I had to. There was just no other way for me. All or nothing.

I say this because I have tried one, and not the other, and it never worked. One always pulled me into the other somehow.

Giving up both at the same time is indeed a major change, and the psychological difficulties were like walking on thumbtacks in my bare feet for a few months. It now seems to be letting up on the intensity.

My body and brain seem to finally be getting the message that tobacco and alcohol are exactly what they are. Poison to the nerves. We like them exactly because THEY DO poison our nerves. When the nerves start to heal after quitting, it's like bare wires sparking everywhere in the body and mind.

Good luck to you. It can be done, even after years and years of abuse. The supplements recommended by the program probably eased the pain by half or better. The other half is just mule headed stubborn determination to crawl out of the pit.

Neil

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

I did the same, quit both at the same time back in January. Like Neil, one always led to the other for me, so the only way for me to quit one was to quit the other. Once you get over the first week or two it is not that bad, for me, I focused so much on not being able to drink, I kind of ignored not being able to smoke. I still crave the smoking every once in a while, but not as much, and when I smell it I am reminded of why it is bad...I dont want to smell like that....
        It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
        James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

Hi Neil and Java,

Yes I agree entirely that one pulls you towards the other. I have tried to give up the alcohol before and I really do believe the cigarette addiction was a factor in my failed attempts.

I read the link from Nancy and it said that inpatient treatment facilities are now beginning to tackle the two addictions at the same time, so the medical proffesionals obviously think it's a good idea too.

It's certainly not easy but doable. I had a particulary horrible day today and I must say I was tempted on both counts but somehow rode it through.

Anyway well done to you both, I shall be calling on your assistance if the pangs get too great.

Kitty
          Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
          Confucius

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

I think it's easier to stop drinking when you are not smoking - I just didn't feel like a drink if I could not have a smoke, and didn't really feel like a smoke if I couldn't have a drink with it- so worked both ways in my muddled little brain!

Cheers

Cashy
            "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

Well am now convinced that any form of addiction especially the drinking and smoking can be deserted once an individual is determined to do it. Yes there was a time when I had the urge for both but over the years I have managed to come out of the habit. I have seen some people in their quitting process to say they cant concentrate if somebody is doing the same in front of them well we cant control what others are doing but we can get ourselves at a different place that time. I am now even immune to these conditions and whether or not someone smokes or drinks in front of me does not make a difference at all.
              Can there be a medicine which can be referred to as the healing pill

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

Bumping this up.
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

LVT25......thanks for bumping this.

Nancy, I missed this when you posted it last year.......thanks for the link.......I had a little read there and was absolutely horrified to discover that Caroline Knapp tragically died of lung cancer within a couple of months of being diagnosed back in 2002, at the young age of 42, only a month after she got married.......how very sad. I`ve only just recently read her Drinking: A Love Story.......tragic that she fought so hard to get off the booze and won, only to succumb to lung cancer a few years later due to her lifelong smoking habit.

Well, I`m 9 mths AF now, save for my slip in mid January, and I`m content not drinking. However, I continue to smoke and seriously think it would have been easier to quit both the drinking and smoking at the same time. I only know that I now need to find the strength to fight the nicotine as hard as I fought the booze......learning of Caroline Knapp`s fate really brought it home to me that smoking could well be the death of me. No more excuses!!

Darling x
                  Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

Yep I have given up both at the same time and I was just posting on another thread that without the cigs my brain doesnt really want the alcohol that much. I think I was actually a smoker who drank rather than a drinker who smoked but I just didnt know it. I was at a party the other night and noticed that the smokers drank a lot more than the non smokers and stayed a lot later as I think if you have a pack of cigs as well as the alcohol you can just keep going and going as both feed off each other.
                    Yes what bad luck for Caroline Knapp to die of lung cancer after beating AL. Thats just not fair. I keep saying to my family that now I have given up drinking/smoking I will probably be run over by a bus or something!
                    BH

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

I "quit" smoking about a month ago. But then I'd buy a few single cigs on my 2-3 drinking nights each week (drinking cut down from 7 nights a week). Then two weekends ago I came down with pneumonia - and I feel somehow certain that it was those cheap awful cigarettes that got me sick. Now, two weeks later and still fighting congestion in my lungs, I'm disgusted by the thought of drinking or smoking. Yesterday when wine crossed my mind it grossed me out, and I knew I wouldn't want it without smoking, and I sure as hell am not going to smoke again.

By the way, a coworker of mine died 3 days ago after a long battle with cancer that began in his lungs. He was a smoker before he got sick. Married, 5 kids, only 45 years old. His illness is what finally motivated me to give it up. We have to accept that the consequences are REAL. Alcohol kills, smoking kills.
                      FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

Hi all above, This is my first post! My partner is behind me on the sofa so I feel embarrassed to write as he thinks I'm being silly, but then he would, as he needs to be on this site more than me! I'll open up more when he's not around, but at the mo, just wanted to say, I've always giving up smoking whenever I've been pregnant, and during the first few months afterwards, and during that time, still been able to have my minimum allowance of 2 drinks twice a week. Then as soon as baby gets a bit older, and I can start to have a bit more me time, as I get onto the 3rd and 4rth drink, all smoking resolve goes out the window, and off I go again. Then, after a couple of sober (or hungover) days, because I still class myself as a non smoker who just had a couple, as the need for a rollie returns, I dont give in, but what I do do, is decide to have a drink, as then, I know full well that after a few, I'll allow myself to have a rollie, (or lots) with the excuse that it was because of the drink! over the years, I've never smoked unless drinking. But now find that I'm drinking much more than I would like to be, the need for a couple of rollies = having 1 bottle of wine! so in my experience, they definately go hand in hand, and I so agree with the comment about noticing smokers drink more and stay out later, as an ex barmaid I too noticed that is so the case, a smoke kind of keeps you less drunk, ready to have another, although it sure it doesn't really. Have just ordered that book by caroline, so sad to hear she's died.

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

Hi all above,

I've always giving up smoking whenever I've been pregnant, and during the first few months afterwards, and during that time, still been able to have my minimum allowance of 2 drinks twice a week. smoke free. Then as soon as baby gets a bit older, and I can start to have a bit more me time, as I get onto the 3rd and 4rth drink, all smoking resolve goes out the window, and off I go again.

Then, after a couple of sober (or hungover) days, because I still class myself as a non smoker who just had a lapse of a couple of rollies, as the need for a rollie returns, I dont give in, but what I do do, is decide to have a drink, as then, I know full well that after a few, I'll allow myself to have a rollie, (or lots) with the excuse that it was because of the drink! over the years, I've never smoked unless drinking. But now find that I'm drinking much more than I would like to be.

The need for a couple of rollies = having 1 bottle of wine! so in my experience, they definately go hand in hand, and I so agree with the comment about noticing smokers drink more and stay out later, as an ex barmaid I too noticed that that is so the case, a smoke kind of keeps you less drunk, so you can have another drink, (although I'm sure it doesn't really). Have just ordered that book by caroline, so sad to hear she's died.

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

Thats terribly sad about your friend. I feel for his family and friends. I have 4 children, none of whom think I smoke. I've kept it a hidden "down the pub" secret. I had phneumonia and pluresy when I was 18, and gave up then as you have now, and was never going to do it again, but being so young, as soon as I was better it all went out the window, and now at 37, am serious about both smoking but more of a problem to me, the drinking (or is it? culd it be the need to smoke?) catch 22? hope your recovering myownwoman and stick with the clean lifestyle! Good luck!

Comment

Nicotine and alcohol

Glad to see this thread bumped back up again and welcome mickyshell. I am convinced that the smoking makes you drink more - well it certainly did for me. I have been smoke free since 1st April thanks to champix and I have also had more than 60 days now AF. I am going to try moderating AL for June as it seems in my brain anyway that without the ciggies there is very little desire to drink to excess. I had a few drinks over the weekend and without the double whammy nicotine hit a couple of drinks was just fine - it did not fuel any binge feelings and I just had enough after two drinks. I just hope it stays that way and that I dont get used to drink without ciggs and then be back to square one. I dont think I will but we will see.
                              BH

Comment

Working...
                              X