MWO Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MWO Changes

Howdy ho everyone! Not sure if the rest of y'all notice the changes and improvements to the site as they happen? I see the little color button beside a members name that shows green if they are online is gone, as is the feature of seeing who's online. Or maybe they have just been moved to a subscriber only feature. Also, I see that you can ignore a complete thread and/or forum! That is a handy little addition!

I'm thinking that maybe [MENTION=9640]Forum Manager[/MENTION] or [MENTION=23772]Administrator[/MENTION] should have a thread to announce the changes/additions/deletions as they occur so that everyone is kept up to date on the improvements to our community. Anyway, a big thanks to the admins for all the things they do for us!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Re: MWO Changes

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post
    Howdy ho everyone! Not sure if the rest of y'all notice the changes and improvements to the site as they happen? I see the little color button beside a members name that shows green if they are online is gone, as is the feature of seeing who's online. Or maybe they have just been moved to a subscriber only feature. Also, I see that you can ignore a complete thread and/or forum! That is a handy little addition!

I'm thinking that maybe [MENTION=9640]Forum Manager[/MENTION] or [MENTION=23772]Administrator[/MENTION] should have a thread to announce the changes/additions/deletions as they occur so that everyone is kept up to date on the improvements to our community. Anyway, a big thanks to the admins for all the things they do for us!
    This was not intentional!

Thanks for the heads-up. Regarding any announcement as such, this is in the hands of the Forum Manager.
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Notifications by Email

[MENTION=23772]Administrator[/MENTION]. Thank you for the updates and improvements! From time to time, my email notifications stop working and it has happened again. I wonder if you would be kind enough to check that, if mine aren't working, maybe others are having the same issue. THANK YOU, as always, Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Notifications by Email

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
        [MENTION=23772]Administrator[/MENTION]. Thank you for the updates and improvements! From time to time, my email notifications stop working and it has happened again. I wonder if you would be kind enough to check that, if mine aren't working, maybe others are having the same issue. THANK YOU, as always, Byrdie
        You are not getting them period, or hours later?

What type of device are you expecting them on? Tablet/Desktop/ A another?
        Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Re: Notifications by Email

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
          You are not getting them period, or hours later?

What type of device are you expecting them on? Tablet/Desktop/ A another?
          Im not getting them period. I use a laptop, iPad, and iPhone. Thank you!
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Re: Notifications by Email

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
            Im not getting them period. I use a laptop, iPad, and iPhone. Thank you!
            I have tested the system and it is working as it should.

The most common reason why notifications do not reach a users inbox is because the communication is blocked by the users email provider as spam, placed in a spam or trash box or just plain rejected.

If the email is rejected, the forum inbox should received a bounce back notification, of which there have been none.

Notifications to your email account should be almost immediate, (this Forum does not operate a delayed, bulk system) however notifications to a mobile device are always going to be reliant on an infinate amount of other factors.

Going forward, i would suggest you add mywayout.org@gmail.com to your contacts.

Comment

[MENTION=23772]Administrator[/MENTION] [MENTION=9640]Forum Manager[/MENTION] I've changed nothing in settings here or personal ones. Haven't been receiving mentions for quite a while to my e-mail. They gave me that feeling of being connected to others, who have or had this problem. Something that had really helped me in my sobriety. Looked forward to them. I understand that some people don't want the mention features going directly to their e-mails. However, some of us do. Some of us find them quite helpful. Can you please add an option of opting in or out? Thank you....

Comment

[MENTION=16893]Wildflowers[/MENTION]

Unfortunately user tagging is a third party plugin that is subject to copyright and as such, I would be liable if I was to change the script.

The package we have allows emails to be either on or off. There is no option for users to select emails or not.

Comment

[MENTION=23772]Administrator[/MENTION] [MENTION=9640]Forum Manager[/MENTION]. Don't know what to say.. Coughing with hand over mouth. This is BS!.... Change it back. This isn't a plug issue. Nor, a legal one. Many little changes as you try your admin tests. People notice. Trying not to mention (pun) hack. The very lack of support. Esp, since RJ hasn't been here. Please fix the mention feature..

Comment

Originally posted by Wildflowers View Post
                    [MENTION=23772]Administrator[/MENTION] [MENTION=9640]Forum Manager[/MENTION]. Don't know what to say.. Coughing with hand over mouth. This is BS!.... Change it back. This isn't a plug issue. Nor, a legal one. Many little changes as you try your admin tests. People notice. Trying not to mention (pun) hack. The very lack of support. Esp, since RJ hasn't been here. Please fix the mention feature..
                    So you are asking that the blanket email notification for mentions be active even though you are aware some people do not want it and will be unable to disable notifications of mentions?

As I pointed out before the package available on this Forum does not allow mention notifications to be user defined.

Comment

[MENTION=23772]Administrator[/MENTION] [MENTION=9640]Forum Manager[/MENTION] Yes, that's what I previously asked. It was available before. Is no longer. Had been receiving the @ feature notifications. I'm asking for an opt in or out function. Just like e-mail notifications. Opt out or in exists. It was created for a reason. It keeps some of us connected. Should we take a poll on how many people want @ feature notifications. If your able to enable, an opt out or in, think it would make every body happy. Would appreciate. Please, when you have time, tell us why this site is once again on a timer. New people that are reading get kicked out of this site. As you continue to work out new features, please keep in mind that maybe it would better to not fix whats not broken. Thank you...

Comment

[MENTION=23772]Administrator[/MENTION] [MENTION=9640]Forum Manager[/MENTION] Yes, that's what I previously asked. It was available before. Is no longer. Had been receiving the @ feature notifications. I'm asking for an opt in or out function. Just like e-mail notifications. Opt out or in exists. It was created for a reason. It keeps some of us connected. Should we take a poll on how many people want @ feature notifications. If your able to enable, an opt out or in, think it would make every body happy. Would appreciate. Please, when you have time, tell us why this site is once again on a timer. New people that are reading get kicked out of this site. As you continue to work out new features, please keep in mind that maybe it would better to not fix whats not broken. Thank you...
                        Opt in or out does not exist on this version. Wherever you are getting this information from, it is incorrect. The only options are all in or all out. There are other things to consider above that of the end user, such as server load. By all means carry out a poll.

What you are probably referring to is a option on a different Plugin that gave an option to receive: No/PM/Email? This was a 3.x.x Plugin that was out of date. As it was out of date I was able to hack the script to work with 4.2.3 but the ability to change the users selection did not work correctly so it was dumped in favor of the off the shelf one, you are currently using.

I introduced unrestricted guest views in February this year. Previously to this they were restricted to 6 views. Following the backup and upgrade in May they reverted back to the previous settings. Guest views are now once again unrestricted.

Comment

[MENTION=16893]Wildflowers[/MENTION], as an option I have my own thread (which I haven't used in a bit) that I have subscribed to. For a while I had emails sent to me whenever someone posted there. Something like that (whether you want to use a personal thread or the cattleman cafe) might work for you.
                          “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                          Newbies Nest Roll Call
                          Toolbox
                          Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Ouch.

But wait a minute. Let's clarify a few things, because there's a lot going on here. And, well, I can't help but notice the hostility.

I think that Administrator has sufficiently explained why he is unable to offer opt in/opt out. It doesn't exist in the copyrighted platform that allows us to use the [MENTION=16893]Wildflowers[/MENTION] notification. He can't change it because it's copyrighted. What he failed to mention, and what I'd like to point out, is that he introduced the feature in March. In other words, it didn't exist before and now it does and you like it, right? I like it. I liked getting the emails, too. But that was an older version, one we cannot use. But I'm grateful that he has the knowledge and the expertise and the willingness to introduce the feature. I guess I'm wondering about the lack of gratitude for that part of it.

And know this with certainty: If there is ever a choice between opting everyone in, or opting everyone out, we will ALWAYS choose to opt everyone out. It doesn't matter what a poll says. Every single one of us has a right to privacy, to personal space, and My Way Out will not infringe on that. Ever. If one person, out of all of us, does not want to receive emails (or any other notification) than that's the decision we will make. Unilaterally and uniformly.

And about that hack: That was extremely painful. For all of us. Imagine, for just a moment, how we, who are committed to the sanctity and safety of this forum, felt? I was devastated. But according to the person who hosts this site, and from all the information that the moderators and Administrator were able to come up with after the fact, there wasn't much that could have been done beforehand. Several things have been done since then, including the upgrade to the most current version of vBulletin, which took place immediately after the hack.

I know it's human nature to look at the worst of things, and I understand completely why it's hard to trust that this place has changed for the better. But I keep hoping you'll notice! No spam. And most importantly, no trolling. No one to wreak havoc, day after day, month after month, and year after year. Rules are in place to keep us rational, reasonable and most importantly, working together to help ourselves and others find a Way Out.

The changes made so far have been incremental. (Well, other than the fact that the trolls have been permanently and irrevocably banned, and that spam doesn't stick around anymore. Those are huge changes.) There will be more changes to come. We will continue to try to make everyone happy, knowing it never works out that way. At the very least, know that we will do what we can to make that happen, one-on-one or as a whole for the good of the greater community.

All my best,
                            FM

Comment

[MENTION=9640]Forum Manager[/MENTION] [MENTION=23772]Administrator[/MENTION] Thank you for taking the time to explain all this. I just didn't understand why the feature was given, then taken away. I do now for the most part. Some is technically over my head. I appreciate you explaining this in layman's terms. As I didn't understand the difference in opting in and out of e-mails, verses the mention feature. Was hoping for a compromise. As I found it really helpful, in my quest for finding my MWO. Too be honest, still don't entirely understand, but accept it.

It's like giving candy to someone, letting them have one piece and not being allowed to have more. When it's still fresh in your mind. I think with all the things (some not so positive) that I've witnessed here over the yrs, it felt at the time like a lack of support. I see now that this isn't the case. I apologize, that my words appeared "hostile" in your opinion. This wasn't my intent! Again thank you for taking the time to put this in better perspective. I'll do better in focusing on all the current positive changes and on going improvements made by Admin-staff.

Thank you for all the hard work in making MWO safe and better for all!..

Best Wishes,

WF

Comment

Working...
                              X