Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Decided to solve the problem

Hi Everyone.

I have decided today to stop drinking after a difficult year which has seen me drink virtually every day.

Can anyone recommend any 'tips' in the aid of following this difficult path ?

I was drinking a 70ml Bottle of Vodka a day and sometimes more than that which basically left me feeling lousy until around 1pm the next day. At the time it felt good but then the vicous circle begins.
    I have managed to stop drinking Vodka totally though after a year of drinking but have now found my addiction to Wine where I am drinking 2 to 3 bottles of White Wine a day.
    So I have had enough of feeling annoyed with myself and am doing something about it. The Difficult bit was not stopping Vodka but how do I stop drinking Wine or alcohol in general as the craving's can be overwhelming sometimes and I dont feel 'normal' now until I have had a drink .
    I never drunk until just over a year ago and was super fit training 5 times a week and now Im not interested in the Gym or doing anything (Probably due to the Drinking)
    My Personal Life has been difficult in the past year but now things are ok.
    Sorry to type out a long post but I need to face the facts that I need help.

If anyone can offer advise I would be very grateful.
    Thanks for reading this post.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Yes, you suddenly realise it's just got to stop, don't you. We've all been there - that's why we're here.

I was a big brandy drinker. When I wanted a change from the brandy, I'd get into the red. Never remember going to bed, waking up feeling hideous and the only thing that made me feel better was having a drink and starting the whole cycle again.

I wanted to break that cycle. I HAD to break it. So I came here. The thought of AA was not an option for me. I downloaded the book and lurked around this site and read as many posts as I could absorb. There was some kind of weird comfort in knowing that there were other people like me.

Where you go with this is up to you - but I would suggest your first step should be to download /order the book. It's an easy, honest read but it makes good sense. It will offer you lots of tools to help. There are details about medication, supplements, even some hypno CD's - heaps of things to explore. There's an element of exercise required which should suit you. We all somehow lose the plot when we drink to excess.

I've been here for 4 months and reduced my intake drastically. I love waking up knowing that I don't have to apologise for something I may or may not have done last night.

It's been a good road for me. The support here is amazing. We've all been in the same boat - so we know where you're at.

Hope you stick around.

Tawny

Comment

Hi Dave,
      I so agree with tawny, we have all found this site out of desperation and then felt a ray of hope.
      There are people like you! All with the same goals to kerb our drinking.
      We offer support We offer understanding of hard this really is because we have all been there:
      All the stories are different yet somehow similar (creepy0] )
      Download the book, it does explain alot, the supps are great (have made a big differnce to me)
      Log on as often as you can when you are new (this di become my new addiction
      And most of all Welcome
      Love Shas

Comment

Hi Tawny , Hi Shas

Thanks so much for your kind words.

I will download the book now and have a read.

Thanks for the info - Giving up is not going to be easy.
        I have been making a plan to change my lifestyle as I think that is the real cause of the problem.

Too much of a comfort zone in a way has been a bad thing.
        Will email again later on today.

Thanks again for your support.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Welcome to MWO! Tawny and Shas have given you great advice. I too came here in hopes of finding a way to finally end the madness. Well, 11 weeks latter the madness seems to have ended! You will find amazing support here and so many stories so much like your own! Best of luck to you as you get started!

Donna

Comment

Hi, Dave and welcome to the board. Staying in and posting and reading others' posts, and joining in the chat room take a little bit of practice but are great support. Downloading the book is a very good idea, and taking the supps, etc. helps, too.

The folks here are great and you will find much valuable information. Best of luck and again, welcome. You can do it!
            Cathy

Comment

Dear Cathy and to the others who took the time to reply to me.
              Thank you for your time spent on replying.
              You dont even know me yet you take time out to give me support - Thank you so much.

Well the first day has passed and it was not easy but I did it.
              This Forum does give you a diary and a certain position to refer to plus the kind words really do help so thank you all.
              My Addiction runs between 5pm and 11pm uk Time - After 11pm on the first day the desire does go away - Is this a Behaviour issue ? Perhaps ! so tomorrow I am off jogging and hopefully I will be too tired to drink and sleep through the night hence avoiding the need to drink .
              Wish me luck.
              Also thank you to those who have taken time out of their lives to send positive messages.
              It does help.
              I'm Really ashamed to be in this position but I cannot thank you all enough.
              You dont know me but you offer me goodwill.
              Thank you all.
              It makes the effort easier and I won't forget.
              xx

Comment

Hi Dave

Well you said it in your heading, 'Finally decided to solve the problem', which means to me you have had enough and things have got to change. About a month ago I would never have dreamed that I would be here talking to complete strangers about my drink problems. Coincidentally, as may be with you I found this site the day after I stopped drinking, which was great, but I think if you have made your mind up to do something about it, you will look on the internet for solutions maybe, and inevitably you will end up at thsi site,and can take it or leave it. I am on day 15 now of abs and aim to go for the 30, and then try to moderate. A lot of my wilpower has come from this site. Read as many boards as you can so you get a feel of what is going on here. There are so many supportive people, and you seem to get to know them fairly soon, although you don't really know them, (apart from the old timers) who seem to meet up. All you can do is give it a go... nobody will criticise you here, and you do not have to apologise. As with a lot here I think, if I want to have a chat with you I will, if I dont feel like it I wont. simple as that. The main thing is to be positive about it. This morning was great, ny first nights sleep without a sleeping tablet, and this morning at 7.30am I took my boy to school, confident that I could not get done for drink drive. You read some of the messages saying people have never felt better and think,,,,yeaaaaah. But it is true, apart from being a bit tired I feel great and have not felt so good in a long time.. Good luck to you and hope to speakto you again

kirky

Comment

Hi Dave,

I have a lot to relate to -- I always drank but started drinking viciously after some devastating events occurred in my life. Now time has passed, I am getting over or at least dealing with my tragedies, but was still drinking and found that drinking had become the one major major problem in my life. I was in a deep dark pit when I searched online for help and found this site.

Please, get some of the tools offered by MWO--get the book, purchase the supplements, and do get the CDs. Yes, they cost a bit but tally up what the alcohol, sick time, wasted days, guilt, embarassment, etc., cost you and they won't seem so expensive. And they DO work if you use them as suggested.

I was still drinking heavily when I found this site. I started by half-heartedly taking the supplements (I do not take the topa) and listening to the CDs. Lo and behold, even without really trying, I started tapering off. I am doing the June abstinence event and could just cry; all I wanted when I first came to MWO was to feel better. June has been a great month for me!!

Please keep posting and give this plan a try.

Ter

Comment

Working...
                  X