sleep aids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sleep aids

I just completed my first week with great success, not a single drink and I had the energy to work-out after work. Work outs aren't something new to me I always try to squeeze them in sometime during the week but they were more productive this week. But I haven't found the time to fit in the CD's, I find after a full day of work, a work-out, dinner and the Kid's I'm ready for bed not listening to the CD's. What's your thoughts do I pass on the sleep aids (part of the Nutrional package) and listen to the CD's or keep going as I am since it seems to be working? Does anybody know the reasonsing for taking the sleep aids for the first three to four weeks anyway?

sleep aids

The only reason I would take sleep aids, is if I need them. If you don't feel a need I sure wouldn't bother... just my opinion... Hugs, Judie

Comment

sleep aids

I believe the reasoning for the sleep aids is because many of us are used to drinking ourselves into oblivion each night and our bodies are used to passing out from alcohol. When we cut back or cut off the alcohol our bodies don't have the chemicals knocking us out any longer and it is difficult to sleep....it is REALLY quite a vicious cycle. My first few nights cutting back were quite difficult...I spent most of the night awake...after two days I started taking 9mg of meletonin before bed...that really seemed to help...today I recieved my calms forte so I'll be taking that as well....

Comment

sleep aids

Hi

I agree. The only reason I use melatonin ( I use 3mg) at the moment is to help me sleep, as that is what I used to do, drink myself to sleep. I do not intend staying on them for ever as I dont like depending on drugs, (alcohol was OK, but that is a different story). Thats why I cant wait till the CDs get here, so I can get off the melatonin, although I am going to try going without tomorrow night.

kirky

Comment

sleep aids

Hmmmm, I seem to be having the opposite problem. After 12 days AF, I can't stay up late!! In fact, some nights I am ready to crawl between the sheets at 8:30, and MAKE myself stay up a little longer!! Sheesh, what a way to enjoy the longest days of the year!! Anyone else having this problem?

Ter

Comment

sleep aids

Yes, Ter,
            I'm so exhausted! Last night I went to bed at 7:30! Slept til 8:00 this am. Now I love to sleep...but don't quite understand how after a week of 8-9 hours a nite, I'm still tired and sleepy. Was I really so sleep deprived? Or just the end of the skool year? Hoping I don't sleep my whole summer away, altho I do LOVE my daily summer naps outside in the shade of my umbrella. Anni

Comment

sleep aids

Dear All,

This is my first post on a chat site ever. I apologize if I am "jumping in" to an ongoing chat but I'm not technically saavy enough to figure out how to start my own line of chat. I chose to reply to this because it's entitled sleep aids and that's related to my own situation.

I am gearing up to try MWO and am really psyched to change my behavior and get the cravings and the control they have over me behind.

I guess I've always enjoyed alchohol and have on occasion been a binge drinker but prior to the past few years when a confluence of many devastating things at work and life brought me low, it never occurred to me to drink alone or to just keep imbibing in any given social situation.

For several years now I have been stuck in a pattern of drinking that I identify mostly with the need to sleep and escape the hours that I have nothing to do with. I should mention that I have terrible insomnia, which only started in my late 30's and was exacerbated by extended international travel and high stress level at my job. I have been under the care of a psychiatrist for many years now - though he is what I guess we call a pharmaceutical psychiatrist, prescribing and monitoring my meds but no in-depth analysis. I see a psychologist for the latter and she is helping me a lot.

Anyway, drinking and sleep are intimately entwined for me - even though I know rationally that getting blotto to go to sleep results in pretty poor sleep and being more tired the next day and a decrease in alertness and general brain function. I can't see beyond my need for sleep right-this-minute and want to do whatever it takes to be unconscious.

Add to this, under my psychiatrist's care, I have been on a regimine of anti-depressants and sleep medication. Hear about the new Ambien/DUI problems? I don't need to drive where I live so thankfully I haven't put lives at risk but I am intimately familiar with the blackouts and loss of memory that comes from combining alchohol with prescription drugs.

I'm not sure what my point is here except to ask if anyone out there has been in a similar situation and knows where I'm coming from. Thankfully, both my prescribing pyschiatrist and my psychologist are aware of everything that's going on and the former is agreeable to prescribing topo and the latter will be working and supporting me through this as I start (tomorrow!) the MWO regimine of meds, supplements, exercise and hypno CDs.

Wish me luck.

berhk

Comment

sleep aids

Hiya berhk and welcome

You can jump into any thread any time you like so dont worry about interupting conversations as these can take place over a few days as we are all at different time warps. I have not had to go through what you have, but I definitelt drank to sleep. I have been on melatonin for 3 nights now and find that is OK to get me to sleep. I now drink alcohol free beer and ginger cordial, but I know psychologically I am depending on having a glass by my side. I dont have huge cravings, but now and again it creeps into my mind that I would probably like a drop of the real thing. I have a big challenge this next coming weekend as the wife is going away for three days and I know I am going to have to be strong not to have a drink while she is away, even just to tset out to see if I could have a couple of glasses of wine and stop there. I am 14 days into abs. I am going to order some glutamine today, but I know it will not get here in time. I cant advise you what to do as you are under medical care. In that way I have been lucky, as I just decided to go for the programme as much as I want to . I want to do the tapes and just some supps like melatonin, (which I hope to get off of ASP) and glutamine. I dont want to try thr meds. Well hope you get on with it OK. Keep us posted. Good luck

kirky

Comment

sleep aids

Thanks, Kirk, for your reply and welcome. It really is helpful to get insight from others at various stages of the program and progress - and the occasional setbacks - but most of all to know I'm not alone. In any of this.

I live alone and have not been in a relationship for a long time so there has been no one I felt I could "come clean with" about the problem I have. It took me almost a year with my psychologist - one of the few people who is paid not to divulge your story or stand in judgement - to tell her my secret! As an American, raised in the AA Culture, I figured that a rehab facility was my only option and I was so horrified at the thought of that that I kept my mouth shut (except for drinking of course).

Thank goodness she's not from the U.S. and it didn't occur to her that AA was the only way for me. Having said that, we had many subsequent sessions as she encouraged me to cut back and I have to say I didn't really try. It was just so much easier to curl up with the bottle each evening. But the lengths I have gone to in order to make sure I have it when I'm away from home or out of my familiar surroundings have taken on tragically comical proportions.

So, thank goodness for Google and MWO's paid ad right there on the right or I'm not sure how I would have tackled this.

This is only Day 1 for me so, boy, is there a way to go. And I'm very inclined to long written notes as you can see so apologies to everyone right up front for the verbosity.

I'm jittery and anxious (generally the off-kilter feelings that make me want to drink to relax) which I figure is partly the fear of knowing I won't drink tonight but also some effects of the supplements. I don't think it could be actual withdrawal since I'm not far enough away in time from the last drink.

But one interesting thing which I hope will continue to pan out - and yes I am finally getting around to the topic thread - I slept very soundly last night for no other reason I can think of than I was listening to the loop of the Sleep CD. I've always assumed I was the last person in the world who could be hypnotized. I'm way too alert. But wouldn't it be wonderful if I'm wrong and in addition to getting the drinking under control I could also find my way back to sleeping well?

Will keep you posted.

B

Comment

sleep aids

Hi B,

I'm glad you posted your story. We met on chat the other night. And wouldn't it be abslutely wonderful to sleep as well as getting the booze under control?!

Keep posting and coming into chat. This is a good place to be.

Welcome

Tawny

Comment

sleep aids

Thanks, Tawny.

You're right, this is a good place to be.

Look forward to chatting with you again soon!

-B

Comment

Working...
                      X