PDA

View Full Version : My Way Out needs your help!

Forum Manager
July 26th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Since February 2017, the My Way Out Community forums have been managed by a dedicated team of administrators and moderators. I'm sure we can all agree that prior to that date, the forums were being overrun by trolls, troublemakers, and spammers.

We think we've accomplished a lot since then: we created clear forum rules (https://www.mywayout.org/community/first-time-here-read-our-faq-/94628-forum-rules.html) and removed users who consistently violated those rules. When the forum was demolished by a malicious attack last year, the team banded together to get it back up and running within a few hours. Spammers are promptly banned, and we try to respond to reports in a timely manner. And we hope we've gained the trust and support of the community.

Here's our dilemma: the team members along with a (very) few subscribers have been footing the bill for the forums. We need your help to keep this community running. My Way Out does not have any other revenue source and we do not advertise.

We are hoping to reach a modest goal: $200 per month in donation revenue to cover our hosting costs. Any surplus will go towards future upgrades. The MWO staff are all volunteers, and nobody is pocketing this revenue.

Subscribers will have access to a number of benefits:
- Increase in PM limit over Registered Users from 100 to 500.
- Increased post editing time over Registered Users from 120 minutes to unlimited.
- Ability to delete own posts if desired.
- Ability to see which users have visited the forum in the last 24 hours.
- Ability to browse the Forum anonymously.
- Users can have their username in color, clearly showing their position as a subscriber to the Forum.
- The knowledge that their financial commitment is helping to maintain this Forum, a safe haven for so many people.

So we're asking for your donations. Currently, subscriptions are set at $20/month or $100/year. We are open to discussion regarding whether people would be more willing to donate if it was $10/mo or $75/year. Comments are welcome.

The "Subscribe" tab is at the top of the forum next to the "Home" tab, now highlighted in red.

Please consider supporting the forums, and thanks to everyone for making our community a wonderful place.

Byrdlady
July 26th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Done. I have just renewed my subscription. Thank you for the great job you've done with MWO. Byrdie

abcowboy
July 26th, 2018, 04:19 PM
I donít, nor will I use PayPal, what options do I have?

Administrator
July 26th, 2018, 04:22 PM
I don’t, nor will I use PayPal, what options do I have?
You can use the paypal link to pay by card without registering with pay pal I understand.

Administrator
July 26th, 2018, 04:24 PM
I need to update my subscription. Count me in. Byrdie

Thank you for your support Byrdie I have updated your status.

Byrdlady
July 26th, 2018, 04:29 PM
It looks as if it opened a pay pal account linked to my credit card, as you say. I'm ok with that. I didn't see a way JUST to pay by credit card.

NoraC
July 26th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Hi. I tried to PM you and it said I didn't have enough room. :thanks:

abcowboy
July 26th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Doesn’t work for me, maybe because I’m in Canada, they want me to set up a paypal account and give my banking info. Not going to do that sorry.

Forum Manager
July 26th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Nora - PM sent!

paulywogg
July 26th, 2018, 06:41 PM
So the forum is subscriber only now?

paulywogg
July 26th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Oops nevermind

Forum Manager
July 26th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Pauly - the Forums will continue to be free to use. Since we receive no revenue, we are asking our members to voluntarily subscribe so we can continue to keep the lights on.

Forum Manager
July 26th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Note: it appears that I am unable to send or receive PMs at the moment. This should be resolved soon; sorry for any inconvenience.

NoSugar
July 26th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Pauly - the Forums will continue to be free to use. Since we receive no revenue, we are asking our members to voluntarily subscribe so we can continue to keep the lights on.Does this mean that without contributions of $200/mo, we'll be done?

I appreciate all you've done to improve the site, and for giving us the chance to save it rather than just closing it down (like seemed to have happened about a month ago).

Many of us were very sad when we thought MWO might be gone and were relieved that it was just a glitch. Hopefully enough people realized its importance to them and will be willing to pay for the value received.

When I subscribed previously, I just used a CC, not PayPal. Is that no longer an option?

Forum Manager
July 26th, 2018, 08:17 PM
NoSugar,

The brief "lights out" a month ago was indeed a glitch. The MWO staff is committed to keeping the forum open. That said, we really need the users to chip in what they can!

The Administrator is the payment guru so he will be able to answer more about the credit card option. It appears that you can use a CC but still have to go through PayPal.

porqoui
July 26th, 2018, 08:26 PM
I have not subscribed yet as my financial situation hasn't made it possible.
Thanks to MWO things are getting sorted and I should be able to contribute/support in the near future.
I will not however create a PayPal account.
One of our company's online registration/pay programs uses PayPal but the option to just enter Credit Card is available without signing up.
Perhaps the online payment options just needs to be tweaked a little?
Regardless of what happens I wouldn't be where I am today without MWO....:smile:PPQP

NoraC
July 26th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Just updated my subscription. :)

NoraC
July 26th, 2018, 08:46 PM
It did look like you could just pay with credit card like. Click on the link and it takes you to a page where you can select credit card option. :)

A quick question. How long until I get my subscriber status back. Do you have to wait for the authorization to go thru from PayPal? I was going to change the color of my name. LOL

Forum Manager
July 26th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Hi Nora,

The Administrator will manually update all the new subscribers when he logs back in. You should all be able to show off your colorful usernames by tomorrow! :)

NoraC
July 26th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Hi Nora,

The Administrator will manually update all the new subscribers when he logs back in. You should all be able to show off your colorful usernames by tomorrow! :)

You know - it's the little things in life. :rotlf:

Glass Half Empty
July 27th, 2018, 12:54 AM
Hi
i asked this question a while ago but didn't receive a reply.

Is there a way to become a subscriber without committing to an automatic debit? I'd be happy to pay on a regular basis, but I've had problems in the past with having money automatically withdrawn from my account at an arbitrary exchange rate and which has incurred international transaction fees.

Administrator
July 27th, 2018, 03:14 AM
Hi
i asked this question a while ago but didn't receive a reply.

Is there a way to become a subscriber without committing to an automatic debit? I'd be happy to pay on a regular basis, but I've had problems in the past with having money automatically withdrawn from my account at an arbitrary exchange rate and which has incurred international transaction fees.

Donations can be made using the Donate link which is in the Community dropdown panel. Donate (https://www.mywayout.org/community/misc.php?do=donate).

Donations do not form part of a subscription package so people who donate will have to PM an administrator after they have donated so thier permissions can be updated.

Administrator
July 27th, 2018, 03:30 AM
Please note that using the pay pal platform is currently the only way of payments being made.

From what I can gather, if you wish to SUBSCRIBE I.E. make regular monthly/ three monthly or annual payments, wherever you are you can pay by bank card BUT this will in turn lead to a pay pal account being opened if you are not using an existing account.

If you would like to DONATE I.E. make an ad hoc payment you can pay by bank card as a guest and NOT need to open a pay pal account.

For those wishing to subscribe using the DONATE method can do so using the $50 or $100 amounts, representing 3 months and 12 months membership accordingly. You will then need to ensure your payments are maintained to avoid your subscription lapsing. You will also need to PM an administrator to advise them of your payment so your permissions can be updated.

Subscribe. (https://www.mywayout.org/community/payments.php)

Donate. (https://www.mywayout.org/community/misc.php?do=donate)

abcowboy
July 27th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Thank you Administrator! I got it to work and paid my annual subscription fee. I know for a fact that I used to drink way more than $135 bucks per week, never mind per year!

NoSugar
July 27th, 2018, 09:47 AM
The Administrator is the payment guru so he will be able to answer more about the credit card option. It appears that you can use a CC but still have to go through PayPal.
Why can we not choose our monthly contribution? If that can't be done, I guess I'll choose the yearly $100 option but that is less than I had planned to pay over 12 months.
Thanks, NS

NoSugar
July 27th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Why can we not choose our monthly contribution? If that can't be done, I guess I'll choose the yearly $100 option but that is less than I had planned to pay over 12 months.
Thanks, NS
Never mind - I was able to choose my amount via Donate. Thanks, NS

Forum Manager
July 28th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Thank you SO MUCH to everyone who has donated and subscribed so far! We can't thank you enough.

YouKayBee
July 30th, 2018, 03:20 AM
I'm now a subscriber.

NoraC
August 11th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Forum Manager - how did we do on subscriptions? Did we generate enough money to help meet the needs of keeping MWO up and running?

Forum Manager
August 12th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Hi Nora,

The subscription drive has been a wonderful success so far! Subscribers are now covering approximately 80% of the monthly forum expenses. (I say "approximately" because PayPal eats about $3.20-$4.70 per $100 donated, so the numbers aren't exact.) We are tremendously grateful. I was, and remain, simply amazed by the outpouring of support.

We are trying to figure out a way to keep the forum members up-to-date on subscriptions. The staff are discussing having some sort of infographic (something like a temperature gauge or speedometer) that shows subscription levels in real time. The specifics will be up to our technical wizard Administrator.

Thanks to everyone who has reached out to support this wonderful forum.

NoraC
August 12th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Thank you Forum Manager

We need to get up to 100% but I'm so glad that we are getting closer. :)

abcowboy
August 13th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Hi Forum Manager and Administrator, I have been doing what I can to attract new members to the site. One person signed up a day or two ago, Bimmer, He's wondering when he'll get his confirmation email?

Forum Manager
August 13th, 2018, 12:32 PM
abcowboy, I believe the confirmation email is automatically generated. Your friend may want to check his spam folders. Administrator might have more ideas.

abcowboy
August 13th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Thanks Forum Manager, Iíll let him know

Administrator
August 14th, 2018, 01:30 PM
abcowboy, I believe the confirmation email is automatically generated. Your friend may want to check his spam folders. Administrator might have more ideas.

This is correct.

Be wary though, some email providers (AOL and the like) do not like Forum generated mail and as FM says, spam it or just do not deliver it at all. Your friend is more than welcome to use the contact us link.

abcowboy
August 14th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Thanks Administrator, he let me know that the email finally came through and heíll be trying it tonight.

SKendall
August 28th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Hi, can you explain why the abstinence thread is closed again.

Forum Manager
August 28th, 2018, 06:11 PM
SKendall, it appears that Mick closed his thread, possibly by accident? The person who creates a thread can use the "Administrative" pull-down menu to open or close the thread.

Rahulthesweet
August 29th, 2018, 02:17 PM
I am now a proud subscriber

Forum Manager
August 29th, 2018, 06:43 PM
The subscription drive has been an incredible success. I am happy to announce that we are currently fully funded!

Thank you so very much to everyone who has subscribed! If the recurring subscriptions dwindle in the future we may do another drive, but for now, My Way Out is completely supported by its wonderful members.

The moderation and administrative team sends our most sincere gratitude. This community is amazing. :love:

NoraC
August 29th, 2018, 06:56 PM
So glad to hear this :yay:

Lavande
September 6th, 2018, 06:34 PM
I'm a little tardy to the party but I have just become a subscriber as well :)

KENSHO
September 12th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Me too! 4 years of help and nearly one year of sobriety. I owe this place my life.

Ineedhelptostop
March 28th, 2020, 06:04 PM
Since February 2017, the My Way Out Community forums have been managed by a dedicated team of administrators and moderators. I'm sure we can all agree that prior to that date, the forums were being overrun by trolls, troublemakers, and spammers.

We think we've accomplished a lot since then: we created clear forum rules (https://www.mywayout.org/community/first-time-here-read-our-faq-/94628-forum-rules.html) and removed users who consistently violated those rules. When the forum was demolished by a malicious attack last year, the team banded together to get it back up and running within a few hours. Spammers are promptly banned, and we try to respond to reports in a timely manner. And we hope we've gained the trust and support of the community.

Here's our dilemma: the team members along with a (very) few subscribers have been footing the bill for the forums. We need your help to keep this community running. My Way Out does not have any other revenue source and we do not advertise.
We are hoping to reach a modest goal: $200 per month in donation revenue to cover our hosting costs. Any surplus will go towards future upgrades. The MWO staff are all volunteers, and nobody is pocketing this revenue.

Subscribers will have access to a number of benefits:
- Increase in PM limit over Registered Users from 100 to 500.
- Increased post editing time over Registered Users from 120 minutes to unlimited.
- Ability to delete own posts if desired.
- Ability to see which users have visited the forum in the last 24 hours.
- Ability to browse the Forum anonymously.
- Users can have their username in color, clearly showing their position as a subscriber to the Forum.
- The knowledge that their financial commitment is helping to maintain this Forum, a safe haven for so many people.

So we're asking for your donations. Currently, subscriptions are set at $20/month or $100/year. We are open to discussion regarding whether people would be more willing to donate if it was $10/mo or $75/year. Comments are welcome.

The "Subscribe" tab is at the top of the forum next to the "Home" tab, now highlighted in red.

Please consider supporting the forums, and thanks to everyone for making our community a wonderful place.

I have been unemployed for almost a year. While I can still afford to make contributions if the goal in total is $200 or even $2000 the subscription cost seems a bit high? I have browsed a little and the administrators and users of this site seem like wonderful caring people and I know I need help. I would suggest let people use it and as they benefit they will contribute S well - and I do believe the ones who need help / get help /or give help - all benefit. Seems like we are either still desperately wrestling with our demons - or have thing under control for a blessed moment at a time...... perhaps at most as for an initial entry $5 contribution and allow folks to give what theycan / when they can. Just my 2 cents. I hope this is not considered offensive by anyone. God bless all of you.

mbcook56
June 29th, 2020, 07:53 AM
thank you. I don't have the resources to make a gift, but will as soon as I can

Guitarista
June 29th, 2020, 03:56 PM
I have been unemployed for almost a year. While I can still afford to make contributions if the goal in total is $200 or even $2000 the subscription cost seems a bit high? I have browsed a little and the administrators and users of this site seem like wonderful caring people and I know I need help. I would suggest let people use it and as they benefit they will contribute S well - and I do believe the ones who need help / get help /or give help - all benefit. Seems like we are either still desperately wrestling with our demons - or have thing under control for a blessed moment at a time...... perhaps at most as for an initial entry $5 contribution and allow folks to give what theycan / when they can. Just my 2 cents. I hope this is not considered offensive by anyone. God bless all of you.

Welcome friend.

How are you doing? Feel free to jump in and post anywhere and let us know how things are going.

And hello and welcome Mb.