This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Way Out needs your help!

Since February 2017, the My Way Out Community forums have been managed by a dedicated team of administrators and moderators. I'm sure we can all agree that prior to that date, the forums were being overrun by trolls, troublemakers, and spammers.

We think we've accomplished a lot since then: we created clear forum rules and removed users who consistently violated those rules. When the forum was demolished by a malicious attack last year, the team banded together to get it back up and running within a few hours. Spammers are promptly banned, and we try to respond to reports in a timely manner. And we hope we've gained the trust and support of the community.

Here's our dilemma: the team members along with a (very) few subscribers have been footing the bill for the forums. We need your help to keep this community running. My Way Out does not have any other revenue source and we do not advertise.

We are hoping to reach a modest goal: $200 per month in donation revenue to cover our hosting costs. Any surplus will go towards future upgrades. The MWO staff are all volunteers, and nobody is pocketing this revenue.

Subscribers will have access to a number of benefits:
    - Increase in PM limit over Registered Users from 100 to 500.
    - Increased post editing time over Registered Users from 120 minutes to unlimited.
    - Ability to delete own posts if desired.
    - Ability to see which users have visited the forum in the last 24 hours.
    - Ability to browse the Forum anonymously.
    - Users can have their username in color, clearly showing their position as a subscriber to the Forum.
    - The knowledge that their financial commitment is helping to maintain this Forum, a safe haven for so many people.

So we're asking for your donations. Currently, subscriptions are set at $20/month or $100/year. We are open to discussion regarding whether people would be more willing to donate if it was $10/mo or $75/year. Comments are welcome.

The "Subscribe" tab is at the top of the forum next to the "Home" tab, now highlighted in red.

Please consider supporting the forums, and thanks to everyone for making our community a wonderful place.
    Last edited by Forum Manager; June 22, 2019, 06:31 PM.

Re: My Way Out needs your help!

Done. I have just renewed my subscription. Thank you for the great job you've done with MWO. Byrdie
    Last edited by Byrdlady; July 26, 2018, 04:24 PM.
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

I don’t, nor will I use PayPal, what options do I have?
      Last edited by abcowboy; July 26, 2018, 04:20 PM.
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post
        I don’t, nor will I use PayPal, what options do I have?
        You can use the paypal link to pay by card without registering with pay pal I understand.
        Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
          I need to update my subscription. Count me in. Byrdie
          Thank you for your support Byrdie I have updated your status.
          Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It looks as if it opened a pay pal account linked to my credit card, as you say. I'm ok with that. I didn't see a way JUST to pay by credit card.
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi. I tried to PM you and it said I didn't have enough room. :thanks:
              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Doesn’t work for me, maybe because I’m in Canada, they want me to set up a paypal account and give my banking info. Not going to do that sorry.
                Last edited by abcowboy; July 26, 2018, 05:17 PM.
                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Nora - PM sent!

Comment

So the forum is subscriber only now?
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Oops nevermind
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Pauly - the Forums will continue to be free to use. Since we receive no revenue, we are asking our members to voluntarily subscribe so we can continue to keep the lights on.

Comment

Note: it appears that I am unable to send or receive PMs at the moment. This should be resolved soon; sorry for any inconvenience.

Comment

Originally posted by Forum Manager View Post
                            Pauly - the Forums will continue to be free to use. Since we receive no revenue, we are asking our members to voluntarily subscribe so we can continue to keep the lights on.
                            Does this mean that without contributions of $200/mo, we'll be done?

I appreciate all you've done to improve the site, and for giving us the chance to save it rather than just closing it down (like seemed to have happened about a month ago).

Many of us were very sad when we thought MWO might be gone and were relieved that it was just a glitch. Hopefully enough people realized its importance to them and will be willing to pay for the value received.

When I subscribed previously, I just used a CC, not PayPal. Is that no longer an option?

Comment

NoSugar,

The brief "lights out" a month ago was indeed a glitch. The MWO staff is committed to keeping the forum open. That said, we really need the users to chip in what they can!

The Administrator is the payment guru so he will be able to answer more about the credit card option. It appears that you can use a CC but still have to go through PayPal.

Comment

Working...
                              X