How do you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you do it?

Its my first time on the site and been reading through alot of the threads, i'm full of admiration for all you people out there who are managing, i just dont understand how you all do it?

I've been through rehab & tried AA doing almost the 90 meetings in 90 days and yet here I am in my worst circumstances ever. I keep managing to last a couple of days and doing the hard bit of the withdrawal but then I keep turning back to alcohol.

The last two months are a complete blur, i've lost my job & hurt everybody I love, I have no friends left anymore, yet somehow got to find find the strength to say sober.

Can anyone give me some advice please?

How do you do it?

Hi

Hi Fallen Prince,

:welcome:

Yes - people can give advice here. And very good advice at that too.
    Please keep tuning in and posting it does help.

I was stuck in a rut I knew I was killing myself but couldn't stop, I searched internet for AA meetings advice etc and came across this site, since lurking in the background until I joined I have now completely stopped drinking, I got good advice here, inspiration and the incentive to sop and change my life.

Some of the postings are jokey, some sad but even in jokes and sadness the advice is there for any situation any of us are or have been experiencing.

Good luck

Diamond x
    I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
    I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

How do you do it?

Hi Prince. I would get the book, cds, and all the supplements in the starter package at the health store and read all the info from Roberta Jewell on the site. Many people here use some sort of dr. prescribed medication to help with cravings and you can get advice about that. Some people don't need it as they are not as physically addicted. There is much to read here on old posts, the best of the boards, etc. And then logging on regularly to an ongoing support thread is very helpful, as well as posting questions. Welcome and good luck.

Comment

How do you do it?

Hi Prince and welcome, so sorry your feeling bad, it's not easy, keep reading and posting
        and maybe it could be just what your looking for.

Comment

How do you do it?

Hi Prince. :welcome: You have come to a very supportive place. We all have been there done that no matter what the situation someone here has experienced it. Have you thought about taking a supplement? Campral and Topamax are the most used, I believe.

Glad you found our place!

Comment

How do you do it?

A warm :welcome: from me too, Prince! I would echo what everyone says about the support, the tools, the advice, the motivation, the inspiration etc. that you can find from the programme and from this wonderful site and these wonderful people - but I would add one thing - if you can find something deep down inside yourself that wants this to work, then it will help a lot - if you can't then I it is too easy to keep finding those excuses, those reasons to reach for the bottle, those put offs till tomorrow - it's a battle and you have a strong opponent - get armed, get support, get angry - not at yourself but at this thing that is destroying your life! Then use all the support systems available and go for it - we're here to share the journey with all its ups and downs - so glad you jumped in - you've just take the first step towards a new life! Welcome and good luck
            :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
            Goals:
            Days 1-7 DONE
            Days 8-14 DONE
            Days 15-21 DONE
            30 days DONE
            60 days
            100 days

Comment

How do you do it?

yes, this is a good place, no doubt, and welcome to you. I believe I have experienced much of what you have. You are not alone. just don't give up on trying. If you want to, eventually you will succeed (so I am told). please try the MWO program. it is flexible, thorough, and private. anyway, this site and the people here have definitely helped me through bad times, and hopefully I'll stick around when the good times come. Please keep on trying trying trying and posting.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

How do you do it?

hey prince. sometimes putting together a moment at a time is salvation. i remember once in aa someone telling me how i knew i hit bottom is when i stopped digging. so it would seem that you have bottomed out. and that is a victory. all the information coming your way is the step by step approach. reading the book, getting the supplements and i'm on topamax and am almost up to 200 mgs. so that is a real plus for me. at some moment it will eliminate the cravings. that is a big yes. it actually does work as i've actually done it. then i made the mistake of thinking wow i don't need topamax and went down to 25 and went back to my old habits of drinking, not quite but enough to know that i was headed to a worse place then i had started. so that was not a pretty picture if i looked at what was ahead. so today is just today. and i try which i would recommend to you to not think about tomorrow or even tonight. just right now. what do i need to do right now to be healthy and whole and sober. boots

Comment

How do you do it?

Welcome, Prince! :welcome:

You know, it really doesn't matter how many times you've tried before--because you're back trying again! Just asking the questions is a great start--it means you want to make changes...and that's the beginning. It just takes some of us more "convincing" to see that the way we're going about things just isn't working for us....I quit lots of times before I finally was able to make it stick last April...I just had to get really, really humble and really, really honest with myself that what I was doing really wasn't cool and it wasn't okay. Don't ask me how I ever thought drinking around the clock, not honoring any of my commitments and lying to the people that love me was okay--but I managed to rationalize it somehow!

It sounds like the denial is over for you--and that's the biggest obstacle--now it's a matter of finding out what approach will work for YOU--this is a personalized program--try the suggestions--get the CD's, the supplements, read the book--and most of all, keep coming here and posting about how you're doing--keep on asking questions--and you'll find your way--because YOU CAN DO IT! It's really not something mysterious--it's just about trying and trying agan and trying again and again until you make it....

Glad you're here--look forward to hearing more from you!
                  :l
                  "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

How do you do it?

Prince,
                    You know the old addage: you can take the horse to water but you can"t make him drink. You got to want to change ! I f you have the will power you can do it ! Take the meds, because they will take away your chemical dependensey. Then Post Threads & read, ask for help. We are all here to help ! :welcome:
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

How do you do it?

Thank You

Thanks for all the supportive messages and words of advice, i really needed it, its helped renew my determination!

It also helps to know that im not the only one who is going/has been through this because sometimes i forget that and feel no-one seems to ever mess up like i do.

Couple of you mentioned medication, but my doctor refuses to prescribe any and im dubious about ordering stuff like that of the internet, any suggestions?

Going to defintley buy the book and even give the cd's a try seen as you all seem to recommend them.

Thanks again :thanks:

Comment

How do you do it?

We;come Prince ! You have taken the first step. This is a great place to come. When you read the book you will see it suggests Topomax as a med. It does suggest consulting with your MD but many (me included) have obtained it overseas. For various reasons I did not want it on my medical records. I have only been on a few weeks but it has helped immensely. I am also using the CDs and the supps so do not plan to stay on it forever (I hope). One place to get it is Aclepsa.com but they have a spotty shipping record. See other threads for other recommendations...I can't remember them right now. Keep posting.
                        Lilac

Comment

How do you do it?

Going to need something

Im defintley going to need some supplements, this is so hard. Dunno what time it is where you are but in the UK its half past two in the morning!! Its been 54 hours since my last drink around 48 hours since i last slept, yep counting the hours this is so bad, be so easy to get a drink in few hours but i'm not going too!! these symptoms cant last much longer can they?

Comment

How do you do it?

hello my man. sleeping may be easier if you get the calms forte as well. i like take alot of them and in the first few days it really helps. l glutamine, kudzo relief from the site. and you can read the posts for getting the topamax. you are not the fallen prince by the way. you are the prince who is on the way to recovery.

Comment

How do you do it?

i am thinking of you in your newed counting the hours in your new sober self self self self. smiling. and now that you have this new sober self. well there are probably new sober activities you could be doing. i realize that right now tis painful as when i recall having burned my bridges, toppled my job, the painful ways i destroyed my relationships, well i was pretty in the gutter of pain, and shame about all that. but if you can just at least set that aside for a bit and allow yourself as i have and others have. now is the time when you have to give yourself permission to say okay i am on my side. i have to really be there for me. i am worthy of being sober and i will when i'm stronger repair the damage i've done. not now but when i'm stronger. right now i'm going to focus on being sober and healthy. so the book is a great first start and rest. and hey, i bought a journal and started writing out all that stuff including self loathing that in the beginning was pouring out. that helped. so post away prince who is on his way back to recovery. i believe in me which means i believe in you.

Comment

Working...
                              X