High cholesterol - rather urgent, time is limited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, folks. Had a complete physical last week and came up with high cholesterol - going to the doc's in a few hours to discuss. I don't really want to go on meds, I don't have high blood pressure.

I have read that taking too much niacin, etc. as I have been doing can screw up liver readings - does or could this have to do with high cholesterol? I do eat a lot of meat, dairy, etc. being an Atkins type person. I am 17 lbs. overweight and smoke. How much of this could be because of drinking? Don't really want to discuss that with my doc - he doesn't know nor do I think he has to. Also, I eat a lot of salt - way more than most folks, my doc when I was 12 told my mom not to worry, that some of us need more salt for synaptic relays or whatever. Anyway, he gave me a prescription for xanax - can that affect cholesterol? No one mentioned anything about liver function so I may be jumping the gun .... but what about aspirin, etc? Also, I should mention I drink about 1 gallon of water per day.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. Please don't anyone say tell the doc about the alcohol - I won't be doing that. Except to say 3 times a week, 2-3 drinks. Which is true for the last few weeks but not of course over my lifetime. What to do? Say I used to drink? I also was on Vicodin years ago - if liver damage, could that be it (has tylenol in it).

Thanks all.
    Cathy

High cholesterol is not a big deal many Americans are on one of the staten drugs. I'm on Zocor and my cholesterol went fron 238 to 131 with no side effects. Salt doesn't affect cholesterol .

Dug

Comment

Thanks, Dug - I appreciate any info I can get! CAthy

Comment

Hi Cathy,

Sorry to hear about the cholestrol. I do know shell fish can raise it and also sorry . . .family predispositions . . yes they suck but they may be there.

Don't know about smoking and cholestrol although HBP and smoking are linked to each other.

Yes, vicodin and tylenol are not great on your liver, neither is drinking. Used to drink heavily is a good thing to say to doctor if you don't want to spill the beans. Milk thistle says on the bottle it is great for cleansing your liver.

Good luck with this!
        Hugs,
        Mary

Comment

Thanks SO MUCH Mary. I like our leader, Ms. Jewell, am a private person and don't want to tell the doc that much. Will say I had problem in the past, which is true ... sin of omission, I guess! Cathy

Comment

Working...
          X