Of Interest to Artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of Interest to Artists

Been thinking about the relationship between creativity & alcohol & self esteem & lifestyle choices...&... &... &... but seemingly with no direction or understanding. Came across this on the WFS board, thought of all my fellow artists here & wanted to share... food for thought... well, a banquet for me!

So, enjoy... ? :
    Deirdre

Julia Cameron (The Artist's Way and Vein of Gold) is the founder of ARTS. This is one of the descriptions of how members see themselves as denied artists.

1. We grew up in an atmosphere of invalidation which resulted in ambivalence about our artistic expression

2. In any given 24 hour period we find ways, consciously or unconsciously, to avoid doing that which gives us the most joy----expressing our creativity.

3. We have withdrawn from our art by investing ourselves in lifestyles, relationships and work activities incompatible with our artistic purpose. Our creative energy has often been diverted into destructive compulsions toward alcohol, food, sex, money, drugs, gambling and preoccupation with the past.

4. We have made needless sacrifices for our art and yet are afraid to make the necessary sacrifices. We are unable to balance the significant areas of our lives---Physical Financial, Social, Love, Family, spiritual and Creative.

5. Self-defeating thoughts and societal myths turn in our heads.

It is too late-
    am too old
    I am not ready
    I am not enough
    Art is not practical
    Artists are neurotic
    You?ll starve.

We have accepted these as true when, in fact, they are not.

6. We have felt intimidated by other artists? success. Jealously, envy, fear, self ?pity, perfectionism, resentment and other character defects block our creative expression.

7. We stand always on the edge of a beginning, afraid of commitment. Fearful of pursuing our creativity as a means of earning a living, we get caught in the Amateur syndrome. The concept of supporting ourselves through our art has seemed overwhelming. We are unable to determine the monetary market value of our art.

8. We have thought of our art as divorced from reality, denying ourselves the right to follow our dream. We forget that artists are entitled to their right work and deserve the happiness and succe3sss that right work brings.

9. We deny our responsibility to fully develop and realize our talent. We do not feel worthy of the success we achieve or desire. We feel like a fraud.

10. Being multi-talented, we have difficulty discerning our true artistic vision, making a commitment to it and establishing the priorities to fulfill it.

11. We have difficulty following through on projects and frequently sabotage our efforts. We want to work at our art but don?t know how. We become impatient with the process, forgetting that the results come in God?s time, not ours. Our time is unmanageable.

12. We have been afraid of our creative energy and have mistrusted our creative instincts. Lacking spiritual awareness, we have not seen ourselves as channels for the infinite creative process. Our art is a gift to be shared.

Of Interest to Artists

I'm not an artist, only mildly creative in smaller ways, but this post is relevant to all of us in many ways, and I think that it deserves more attention, so I've done a bump to the top!! BUMP!!
    Hugs,
    Kathy

Comment

Of Interest to Artists

Did THAT ever hit the spot.

Thank you, Deirdre.

Comment

Of Interest to Artists

That is a powerful message. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Of Interest to Artists

Thanks! I'm an artist and have been really learning a lot about this lately. I'm actually looking forward to two weeks at an artist residency (leaving in one week) where I'll be focusing much of my time on the MWO. It's my 4th residency in 5 years..very hard to break away from my day job..but so worth it. Never too late!

Nice to know we're in good company here!
          www.diannejohnson.com

Comment

Working...
          X