Trying again!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying again!!

Hi everyone, you may remember me. I was on here about 2 months ago and actually started the newbies in need thread. I did 21 days AF and then slipped off the wagon, believing I could moderate. Oh no I couldn't. Anyhow to cut a long story short, I have been drinking more than ever and my sister recently came to visit me in France with her new baby and told me that if I didnt lose some weight and stop drinking I would be dead within 5 years! She also told me that all the family are losing patience with me and are building walls and that I am going to lose my husband and children and friends if I dont do something about it. Wake up call or what? So here I am day 2 AF this time for good. I just cant do the moderation thing. I am going to need loads of help I know and I am really, really scared, last time I was so excited at the beginning, but now I have failed once I am scared and very depressed. Help!!

Trying again!!

Hi aduggan.....sounds like your sister has your interest at heart.

we can get so stuck in habits with food, booze, lack of exercise so easily...i,ve done that.

I can only say well done with 2 days Af under your belt but work has to be done mentally as well as physically doesnt it.

do you have an image in your head of how you want to live the rest of your life??Maybe you havent got moving for a while? i dont do much sport but found walking regularly is great and gives me the feel good factor. it clears your head and you really see things you miss in the car.

your self esteem is probably rock bottom(been there too!) but never give up on your plan to change even in small ways...you can do it.

small steps at first maybe...look at your diet today and go get some fruit and veg and take a walk....well its a start to a healthier life.the weight will start to go too and a notch up on your self esteem will happen.

thinking of you and wishing you well!!

PS. no i havent given up the booze totally as i,m still trying to moderate BUT i have changed many other crappy habits and feel a lot more positive and healthier.

i keep working on my physical, mental, spiritual and emotional stuff because i cant go back to old ways and lose out on life and those i care for.

Thinking of you..keep posting and dont worry if you have slips just keep coming back here.

Cassy

Comment

Trying again!!

Hi aduggan and glad to see you`ve came back.

Cassy is right........you`re sister isn`t trying to hurt you, rather she`s just trying to make you see how much you`ve got to lose and she doesn`t want that happening to you.

You`ve recently managed 21 days abs, which shows you have the resolve to free yourself from the booze.You now have 2 AF days under your belt again, which is great.

We all make plans and have mental images of how we would like to be living our lives, but noone but ourselves can instigate those changes. Have been struggling with being in early mods this wk., so I really appreciate just how tough it is to stay on track. I think we have to make use of every tool available to us and just keep plodding along, knowing that every little step forward is taking us closer to a whole new life.

We can all do this aduggan...............

I wish you much love and luck,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Trying again!!

welcome back

Hi Amanda

I remember you!
        Welcome back.Sounds like your conversation with your sister was pretty difficult.
        I think this site will help if you keep coming back.

Two of the people on the newbies thread you started, Bluesky and Janice, went for over a month AF while some of the rest of us (like me) improved but stumbled more.

Maybe you can go back to newbies in need thread? Bluesky is in the hospital (something unrelated) and Janice just had a death in the family.

We have really liked the daily thread.

You can make changes if you put your mind to it and it sounds like a lot of important things are resting on it. Why does your sister think you are going to die? do you have a lot of health problems as a result of this?

I know you were really excited last time. Maybe you should set smaller or shorter goals this time, instead of trying to move a mountain right away.

By the way, since you were gone, a member called Adagirl has been posting a lot about naltrexone. she has had a lot of success. i guess contrary to thinking, you can take it and still have a drink here or there. you just don't get buzzed. You might want to look up her posts. If I thought my problem was severely disrupting my life,I think I would go the medication route (but not topa because of the cognitive side effects).

Comment

Trying again!!

AD: I can't moderate either. I'm w/you all the way one day at a time. Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Trying again!!

Ad-

My family has put up walls because of me to. I really can't say I blame them. I wish they could understand that I am trying to change my life and it is not easy. I have noticed that I push them away without realizing it until it is to late. I must say at least your sister is looking out for you it may not have seemed like it.

Let us all keep support each other as there are some of us really struggling with this and I am definately one of them.

Comment

Trying again!!

naltrexone info from Adagirl

Adagirl posted this on a thread in the meds section. I think Naltrexone sounds very interesting:

Just came back to give you this link: Naltrexone for Patients Who Wish to Controlled Their Drinking - doctordeluca.com

This page links to a lot of different articles on Naltrexone and interesting studies. One of the studies suggests that Naltrexone can be used only when needed (when drinking is expected). I am planning on staying on it daily through the end of the year just to make sure I stay under control. But, then I might try the method of only taking it only on the days I plan to mod (only 4-5 days per month) if I can be successful at being AF on the days I don't take it. We shall see...

Comment

Working...
              X