Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in Need - Day 5

Hi Newbies,

I'll kick off again today as no one has started yet. Hope all across the pond had a fabulous time yesterday, I'm quite jealous, we have to wait till November for our fireworks.

Just a quickie because my mum is coming at the weekend so I have to start cleaning the flat today. We always keep it nice, but if there is a spec of dust anywhere my mum will find it, and then tell me she's found it! She did that to me a few years ago and it drove me spare (a good trigger if every there was one)

So I'm starting inside cupboards and working my way out, should be done by Sat afternoon!

Have a good day everyone, day 18 for me and yesterday was the first day I didn't think about smoking, not once! DG glad you are thinking about it less too. Still thinking about drink though and will need extra resolve at the weekend as we are going to the pub

Kitty
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

Newbies in Need - Day 5

Hi Kitty,

The weekend is gonna a be a test for me big time, but eh we can do it.

Bring it on ..

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

Hi Everyone: A quick note. I stayed AF yesterday in spite of all the activity & strain. Today will be taking all the g-kids to a childrens' museum. I'm feeling strong. So far no obssessive thoughts in my head. Trying to take time for myself in spite of 3 house guests here. Will try to check in tomorrow. Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

Hi Kitty, purple neck and Mary and all those yet to come.

Kitty, you sure are doing fab. with the AF count..........who knows, I may well be following you shortly.....remain undecided!!! .........one thing though, I`ll continue to smoke like Billy-o if I do!!! lol Hope you have a lovely time with your mum visiting. Am confident you`ll continue your success throughout the weekend.......rooting for you!!!

Mary, so pleased for your AF day. Enjoy your family!!!

purple neck.........get strong for the weekend.........is the downfall of so many.........I just think the weekend is like the highlight of the week, so love to drink then especially!! You can do it!!!

Am doing well guys, but am seriously considering an AF lifestyle, but haven`t managed to reach my decision as yet..........

Have a beeeeeeeeeautiful day!!!

Much love,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

Hi all and all to come. The past couple of days for me have been an amazing experience. I've mentioned that I'm at a spiritual retreat with my best friend from college. It is on a college campus and I am having the most amazing experience of reconnecting with the sense of joy and aliveness I often had in college (ok, some depression as well, but more of the other). And I feel the nuggets of useful info I can apply to this problem we all share keep popping up all day. Last night I was not at usual 4th celebrations but instead at a performance of numerous musicians. When I read your post Kitty I immediately thought of a song written/sung by Rabbi Joe Black. I think the name was "Leave a little piece undone". He talked about how here in the southwest The Navahos always deliberately weave a thread incorrectly when making their blankets. I have heard this is also true of Turkish and Persian rugs. The reason given is that only God can create perfection. He gave other examples of some Jews leaving a small portion of the eastern wall of their house unpainted and examples from other religions. So Kitty my suggestion for you is to deliberately leave a small speck of dirt, as an acknowledgement that we are not perfect as human beings. Then you can smile serenely when your mom happily finds it (you wouldn't want to disappoint her). And here was another gem from my yoga teacher, who was trying to ease a bunch of us older women through pain of various ailments. She said that some believe that if you chose to come in to this life to learn compassion, it may be through illness. I know there is debate here about the word alcoholic and if it is a disease, but it did make me think about whether I had this difficulty in my life for a reason, or at least could learn good lessons from it. I wish all of you and those to come a wonderful day. Janice and BlueSky - sending you both love and hugs. Wondering still about Gardengirl and wishing Roxane would drop by.

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

louise your retreat sounds amazing. That is a very interesting point about our imperfections, and how so many different cultures/religions acknowledge that.

Starlight good luck with your decision about AF/Mod. I'm sure it will come to you when the time is right. I'll tell you what - my hat is off to anyone who tackles multiple problems at once. I can't imagine anyone trying to go AF with drinking AND quit smoking at the same time. While I envision myself wanting AF, I will have to see how that goes since I don't want to lose any ground with my smoking quit.

Mary congratulations your your AF success day!! Enjoy your day today - sounds like fun.

Purple, I have no idea what this weekend will bring either....best wishes to you.

Kitty, I love today's Kitty avatar!! How is his trick coming along with the ball? Working on kitty tricks sounds like a LOT more fun that striving for perfection in house work. You Mom would have heart failure if she ever came to my house - even on a "good" day! (between 4 dogs and a husband I gave up on house cleaning perfection a long time ago!). I hope your visit with your family is all good. CONGRATULATIONS on 18 days of freedom - I can't even imagine. But you have admitted your struggles openly, and you are showing peeps like me that we CAN change and that getting control over the booze IS possible. That means a lot!!

One if the reasons I don't know what this weekend will bring is that I don't know when my shipment of supps and CD's will arrive. Possibly as early as Friday and if so, I'm excited. (more likely early next week due to the holiday...but....) Mr. Doggy has promised to have my CD listening setup together by Friday. He's so funny with his collecting and rewiring and reusing of electronic stuff. Anyway, for now I am working to just keep my intake (which is still daily - not good) to a minimum and see what comes next.

I am also working on better food choices. Yesterday was very good in that department!! I also drank far less than usual, especially for a holiday day. I realize that's very little to get excited about, but it's something and I'll take every victory I can get, no matter how tiny.

Anyway, have a good day everyone!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

Hi Guys,

Been so busy today, cleaned like crazy and made a huge Shepherds pie for tea.

Purple keep strong for the weekend, you can do it.

Hope you had fun at the Museum Mary, I bet it was such fun with the kiddiewinks.

Starlight I'm really enjoying your af v. mods thread, alot of different perspectives and I think it's being really helpful to lots of us.

Louise I loved you post today, it's really made me think, your retreat sounds wonderful, I am going to leave some dust somewhere and I will have a little secret giggle if mom finds it.

DG glad you have Mr. Doggy for support, and well done on not overdoing it yesterday. Monty is sparked out right now, he's been "helping" me with the cleaning. I bought a training clicker today, but I think he may be too little for it yet. He does seem to like the sound though so we'll see. It is absolutely impossible for me to go into Pets@home without buying something. They also have a basket of free trial treats and each time I go in I get a couple of bags lol.

Kitty
              Confucius

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

thanks for inviting me in louise.

i've been reading more than posting as i dont want to bring anyone down. i have been having a hard time this last 2 weeks, with the drinking and my OH. he ended up in hospital with a blood clot to the lung. had had big problems breathing and they said it was the chemotherapy, it wasnt. he has been doing very little because of exhaustion and the clot was the result.

i have been very angry at him, which may seem an odd reaction, but he could have prevented it by doing a little to help himself. this sounds really mean but went its something he wants to do he attempts to do it, something trivial like make a cup of tea he would ask me. if i said do it yourself, he wouldnt! he needs to drink, dehydration and lack of movement = thrombosis.

Oh, and i just came on.

It sounds like everyones going the right way. i hope i can join with you instead of going backwards.

roxane

just venting, thanks for reading!

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

Hi Roxanne,

Vent away!! We're good listeners.

Take care,

Kitty
                  Confucius

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

Hi roxane. It sounds like you are coping with some very serious issues. May I ask what "OH" stands for? I assume it's a loved one of some sort, but I'm not familiar with that term.... In any case, your situation sounds very frustrating. Hugs to you...

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

Hi roxane.
                      Sorry you`re stressed out with your current situation.

We`re here for you!!!

Much love,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

sure dg, it means 'other half'. in my case husband. some say D(dear)H(husband), B(better)H(half), you get the drift?

roxane

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

i hope i havent killed this thread now! thats why i havent been posting, oh bum

roxane

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

Kitty,
                            Today is the beggining of the rest of our lives ! Since we managed fo screw up the first part of it. Read & Post ......we're all here!!! IAD
                            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Newbies in Need - Day 5

Roxanne you haven't killed it!!!!

Kitty
                              Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X