hello from newbie rubie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello from newbie rubie

I just joined. Found the link from HAMS (Harm reduction, Abstinenece, Moderation). I've been doing some reading here, and it all sounds very interesting.

I have a few questions. I have an appt. with my dr tomorrow (unrelated to alcohol) and was wondering if I should ask for a scrip for Topamax. Are most doctors agreeable to this course of treatment for an alcohol deterent?

I have no problem being honest with my doctor about my alcohol use and abuse. I don't really care about the stigma....I'm more concerned about my health.

Rubie:new:

hello from newbie rubie

Rubie;159682 wrote: I just joined. Found the link from HAMS (Harm reduction, Abstinenece, Moderation). I've been doing some reading here, and it all sounds very interesting.

I have a few questions. I have an appt. with my dr tomorrow (unrelated to alcohol) and was wondering if I should ask for a scrip for Topamax. Are most doctors agreeable to this course of treatment for an alcohol deterent?

I have no problem being honest with my doctor about my alcohol use and abuse. I don't really care about the stigma....I'm more concerned about my health.

Rubie:new:
    Good approach and the right attitude, you very on track rubie. I can't comment on the meds cuz I haven't gone that route...............yet .:welcome:

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

Hi and Welcome! If you are okay with it being on your medical record, then go ahead and ask him. Admitting to having an alcohol problem and having it on your record can potentially cause a lot of problems down the road in terms of insurance issues, etc. It is really sad that alcoholism has this stigma but the reality is is that it does. I have opted to order my topa through an online pharmacy that many others here have used. There is a whole section on here dedicated to the prescription meds that may help you. Best of luck!
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

Welcome to MWO Rubie. I wish you the best of luck. Lots of people here who will help you all the way. Bella xxx

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

Hi Rubie and a warm welcome.

Glad you are here and good for you on not giving a toss about the stigma!!!

Am not taking any meds., but see lots of members buy topa online if they can`t get it from their doc, so am sure many will advise you.

I wish you much luck,

Starlight Impress

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

Hi Rubie!! It's great that you have a doctor you feel comfortable talking with. For me, the issues with the medical community have nothing to do with doctor comfort level - it is ALL about insurance. (I'm in the US) Depends on your location and situation.

Anyway, I wish you success and I hope we share some here!!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

Robert Smith;159684 wrote: Good approach and the right attitude, you very on track rubie. I can't comment on the meds cuz I haven't gone that route...............yet .:welcome:
              Thanks, Robert :thanks:

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

lushy;159685 wrote: Hi and Welcome! If you are okay with it being on your medical record, then go ahead and ask him. Admitting to having an alcohol problem and having it on your record can potentially cause a lot of problems down the road in terms of insurance issues, etc. It is really sad that alcoholism has this stigma but the reality is is that it does. I have opted to order my topa through an online pharmacy that many others here have used. There is a whole section on here dedicated to the prescription meds that may help you. Best of luck!
                When you order online, how do get a rx for it? Also, shouldn't my pcp know everything I'm taking?

Didn't think about potential problems....thanks for pointing them out :thanks:

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

Doggygirl;159707 wrote: Hi Rubie!! It's great that you have a doctor you feel comfortable talking with. For me, the issues with the medical community have nothing to do with doctor comfort level - it is ALL about insurance. (I'm in the US) Depends on your location and situation.

Anyway, I wish you success and I hope we share some here!!

DG
                  Thanks, DG! Yeah we've experienced problems with insurance too....all over coding practices....we had to pay because neither the doctor or the insurance were willing to re code some of my visits!

I'm in US too....Oregon

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

Hi Rubie. The "Topomax Survey" Thread is one I have read with great interest. Lots of first hand experience reports with Topa - especially from Paddy but others too. I like hearing what the product users have to say - not just the product prescribers.

I am not expecting my Topa to arrive until around 7/28. My other MWO materials will be here much sooner, and I will start with those. I am comfortable enough at this point to start the Topa on my own - with 25mg and then titering up at 25mg per 5 - 7 days or so. I certainly plan to report here how I'm *doing* with that. And Mr. Doggy will have an eye on me in case there is any trouble between me and this drug. (he would need to be my watch man even if a doc DID prescribe it)

Anyway.... happy Thursday and best wishes again on this journey of ours.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

:H
                      Rubie;159717 wrote: Thanks, Robert :thanks:
                      Your welcome Rubie. I was in to see my Doc yesterday and spilled the beans. He was very nice and we have started firstly to give me the once over just to see what my body is saying and then when the tests come back are going to sit down and discuss what approach to take.

I look fine but inside I think will tell a different story. Geeze tho I am a little yellow . Does that mean something:H

I did 2 1/2 hrs on a mountain bike last night and covered 35-40k through the mountains. I guess my heart and lungs are OK.

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

Hi Newbie Rubie (like that), I think it depends where you live in the World with regards to being honest on supps, some members from America have found a problem with insurance. Here in the UK it's okay I think, I prefer not to discuss with my gp as I work alongside some of the group who also work at the adjoining hospital where I work. I don;t think for one second that they would hold that against me, but part of me thinks they may think differently ?? who knows, it is my personal prefence to keep it to myself. There will be lots of other views to follow. Welcome.

Lx
                        Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

Hi Rubie! I can't help w/Topa; I'm scared of anything that is geared to my already messed up brain!:nutso: But I did read somewhere here that there was an understanding doc who suggested putting on the chart that he was prescribing it for something else (migraines?) to avoid any potential probs.

Welcome and good luck!

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

If you are comfortable and...

you have another "off-label" condition, like say migraine headaches, you could simple ask for the topa for that reason and just insist on the topa rather than other options...you could say "i want to prevent the headaches not treat them after development, etc.

I personally haven't done the med thing, but if I choose to I will go that route, as I do have migrains and other things that would enable me to get a script. I was prescribed Topa years ago for some chronic pain conditions I have and decided not to take it becuase of the side effect profile, so I know you can get it for things other than alcohol reduction, epilepsy or mental illness.

welcome!

Comment

hello from newbie rubie

Hi Rubie, I ordered Topamax from both River Pharmacy and Aclepsa and didn't need a Rx for either one of them. I followed along RJ's book and her recommendations on the dosages.

Welcome and I wish you the very best.
                              "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Working...
                              X