The internet, plus alcohol: synergy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi! First post, but I've been lurking for a while.

I'm another hidden alcoholic. When I asked a close friend to be my "date" to an AA meeting, he was shocked. When I'm out with friends at parties or shows, I don't drink much at all.

I drink alone while I'm surfing the web. It's sort of perfect - I'm a reader, not a TV watcher. Reading while drinking doesn't work out, because I'd end up forgetting some of what I'd read and have to backtrack. The internet provides a steady stream of entertainment and information in small chunks.

I feel like my compulsive reading and my drinking have combined to become an entirely new problem. Does anyone else feel this way?

Welcome Bassgirl,
    It is very easy to sit down at the computer and drink and surf isn't it? Hope we can help you find some new habits. Keep posting!! Glad you found us.
    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Welcome, One good thing about surfing the WEB is that you found MWO ! You will find lots of support and helpful advice here. So keep "reading".
      Lilac

Comment

Excellent point, Lilac! Finding MWO has been my saving grace. I don't do all the recommended supplements. The only drugs that I take religiously are Lexapro for anxiety and depression, and I am currently trying to figure out which sleep aid has the least amount of side effects. BUT the best medicine is this forum which allows us to dialogue and share our experience.

Julie

Comment

Hi, I'm so glad you found us. We will offer lots of support. Please continue to be curious and read all about the MWO program. :welcome:
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Welcome Bassgirl. I think you have found a great site if you like reading, there is lots to read here! Keep reading and posting too. All the best. Bella xxx

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Comment

:welcome: Bassgirl--

Another voracious reader here! I have always read constantly--quite honestly I think it kept my brain from rotting away! I read tons of books per week, but I also found surfing the web and drinking was a wonderful combination....so it was necessary for me to very intentionally replace that glass of wine with something else (Fuze!) when I became abs.... I am STILL a compulsive reader and web surfer though!

Glad you're here!
                "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

My first post too!!! I've been lurking & feeling like bassgirl has.

I joined back in April, and ordered everything including Topamax immediately, but didn't turn up (from Aclepsa, I have re-ordered they say they will re-ship) only today had the courage to go to a doc who reluctantly prescribed me 60x 25mg Topamax.

I have been waiting so long. But now for some reason I don't want to take it?? I think I may be scared of side effects. My husband is away tonight (only for one night) maybe I should wait until tomorrow for when he is back (he is super supportive of desire to cut down drinking)

I have Kudzu, All one & L glutamine which I have taken intermittently to date, but have been waiting for my TOPA! I really feel like it will help - & did a great sales job on the doc today , she really was not going to give it to me 'til the last minute….backed it up with the MWo book and all the stats he might need. ☺

One big question I have, and have not yet found the answer - my major reason for cutting down is desire to have a baby - I know that Topa is not at all recommended during pregnancy, but I'd love to hear about stories of people who have given up and conceived, ad all that.

Thanks MWO, you are already helping me loads & I love your multi-pronged approach

Comment

I do the same thing-- I think it's two separate ways to relax and zone out.
                    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
                    Talent will not-- nothing is more common than
                    unsuccessful people with talent.
                    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
                    Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
                    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
                    The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve
                    the problems of the human race.
                    -- Calvin Coolidge

Comment

Working...
                    X