Newbies in need day 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in need day 6

Hi everyone. Wow this feels like the old days. Thought I would start the thread off today. Hope everyone has a great day whatever their goals and most of all they enjoy it. As for myself I have managed 3AF days, and yesterday I actually went to the doctor in France and told her I was and alcoholic (was the hardest thing I have ever had to do) she was very kind but the language barrier was very difficult. However, she told me I could never touch another drop and then gave me some tablets called oxazepam and told me to come back in a month. Well they have completely knocked me out. Went to bed at 11pm last night and didnt wake up until 10.30! and still feel zonked. Have to take them in the day as well. Does anyone know anything about these! Anyway enough about me. Have a great day and keep posting!! Missed you guys loads.

Newbies in need day 6

Good morning aduggan,
    Great to see you`re doing well and have 3 AF days under your belt again. Can`t advise on your script, I`m afraid, but am sure others will be along to give you info. about that particular drug.

Am still doing well with the mods, although not being quite so hard on myself........had 3 wee (honest!!!) glasses of Chardonnay last night........was lovely and I felt so empowered knowing that I chose to leave 2 wee glasses in the bottle. Am still drawn to the AF lifestyle though, but still haven`t really reached a firm decision. Think I`m just gonna do my next AF day and see if I feel like just carrying on with AF.

Hi to all my fellow newbies to come.

Wishing you all the best of days!!

Much love,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in need day 6

Wow!! Gotta love those docs, "here's a pill, come back in a month"!

Did a quick Google on Oxazepam, here's some info:

Oxazepam is used to treat anxiety and acute alcohol withdrawal. This medication belongs to a class of drugs called benzodiazepines which act on the brain and nerves (central nervous system) to produce a calming effect. It works by enhancing the effects of a certain natural chemical in the body (GABA)

HOW TO USE: Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to therapy. Use this medication exactly as prescribed. Do not increase your dose, take it more frequently or use it for a longer period of time than prescribed because this drug can be habit-forming. Also, if used for an extended period of time, do not suddenly stop using this drug without your doctor's approval. Some conditions may become worse when the drug is abruptly stopped. Your dose may need to be gradually decreased to avoid side effects such as seizures. When used for an extended period, this medication may not work as well and may require different dosing. Talk with your doctor if this medication stops working well.

SIDE EFFECTS: Drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or headache may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: mental/mood changes, slurred speech, clumsiness, trouble walking, decreased/increased interest in sex, tremor, trouble urinating, sleep disturbances. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: fainting, stomach/abdominal pain, persistent nausea, vomiting, fatigue, yellowing eyes or skin, dark urine, persistent sore throat or fever. A serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Hope that helps a bit!

Comment

Newbies in need day 6

Amanda: I am glad you got the courage up to talk to your doctor. does the doctor want you to take the benzos for a whole month? what does your husband think of all this?

I am looking forward to a restrained weekend. i feel pretty good about moderating, now that I have about 3 weeks under my belt, but I need to be vigilant.

Have a great day and evening!

Comment

Newbies in need day 6

Thank you so much. That may answer why I am so spaced out. At least I am not irritable, but my goodness I feel like a zombie. Hopefully, it will lessen with time. The other thing I am worried about is that last time I was so excited about going AF, but this time I am terribly depressed and just dont know why, I feel like I could cry all the tiime, last time I woke up with a spring in my step, but now I dont want to get out of bed and that was before today as well. Just feel really low and rock bottom. Has anyone else felt like this and will it pass.

Comment

Newbies in need day 6

Yes, she wants me to take them 1 in the morning, 1 at lunch and 3 in the evening for 10 days, then 1 morning, 1 lunch, 1 evening for 3 days, then 1 morning and evenin for 3 days and then 1 in the evening for 7 days. Then I go back. Havent told hubbie because he is of the frame of mind of "here we go again - Ill believe it when I see it, so I feel I need to prove to him that this time is different for a few weeks first.

Comment

Newbies in need day 6

Hi all,

Welcome back Amanda, sorry you feel so low, I'm sure you will feel much better when you have a few days af under your belt. Be careful with the Benzos they can be quite habit forming, and whenever I've taken them in the past I've found they make me feel quite low.

Well done on mods last night Starlight, and Nancy 3 weeks mods is great.

I'm still busy getting everything in order for my mom's visit. I'm a little nervous because this is the first time mine and my partners parents have met. I'm sure they will get on fine and I must try not to get stressed. Because I know what happens when I get stressed.

Have a super weekend everyone.

Kitty
              Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
              Confucius

Comment

Newbies in need day 6

Rooting for Aduggan

Amanda: Maybe you feel depressed because of what your sister said? maybe you are afraid of losing all? i think there are positive and negative motivations for quitting drinking and it sounds like you have strong negative factors at this point.

when you came the last time, I thought you were too excited. Don't get me wrong, it's great to be positive. I just thought you were trying to do a lot right away and when you stopped coming i wasn't that surprised. Maybe a more realistic view is good? i also think it might be a good idea for you to go into counseling. I can really understand why your husband feels the way he does but it might be good to get someone who will support you, not someone who has a lot of doubts. Anyone else in your family you can talk to who won't judge you?

Take care, we are rooting for you!

Comment

Newbies in need day 6

The benzo

Addagan,

The drug you are taking is the oldest and best known of the class of drugs to help with alcohol withdrawl.

Yes, they will make you feel zonked.

They will also keep you from having tremors, shakes, and seizures if you are that addicted. (I have no idea if you are that addicted.)

My doc gave them to me and told me to use them ONLY if I needed them. However, your doctor has given you a regimen to follow and my advice is follow it. It sounds like the dosage is tapering you down slowly.

I know it is hard to feel so depressed (this are depressants) when you are already depressed about trying to give up the alcohol, but they can make the withdrawal safe.

Hang in there. I am having a rough go with this, too, but am at least 1 day AF today!!

I have been moderating down while dosing up on topa and about to jump up to 100 mg today. Scary to take a drug to get off a drug but boy this alcohol thing is a tough one and if the topa works for me, I will definitely do it. (I also do all the supps and listen to some cds, etc.)

Take care and hang in there!!

Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Newbies in need day 6

Hi,

Good for you for having the courage to talk with your doctor! I'd stick to the prescribed plan even if you are feeling like a zombie right now. The last time I started a new prescription (Lexapro for depression/anxiety) I was completely wiped out and contemplated stopping, but thankfully didn't. The side affects tapered off after a few weeks and the meds seriously balanced out my emotions. I sincerely hope that the prescription helps you through the first month of detox. Also remember to take care of your mental health. Consider seeing a counselor. You should be very proud of yourself for taking action to improve the quality of your life!!!!

Julie

Comment

Newbies in need day 6

Hi all,
                      Once i went to a counselor and got revia. It was horibble stuff and made me so sick and tired feeling I could not go to work and had to stop taking it. Tried to get campral awhile back but he wouldnt give it to me without 2 weeks af.Wish you luck with that stuff amanda. I'm a bit bored today and been thinking about drinking some but hope I dont. Having some allergy trouble and its driving me nuts. Also having a few days off and no $ to go anywhere fun. Won 18$ on a lottery ticket this a.m. Might take kids to the movies with it. Later bird

Comment

Newbies in need day 6

Sorry you`re feeling fed up bird. It`s crap when we got hols. and not much cash.
                        At least your wee win was something........think how good it would feel to treat the kids to a movie rather than buying drink with the money.

Thinking of you.

Much love,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in need day 6

would love to go to a counsellor, but really hard in france as my french isnt good enough. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                          X