Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in Need Day 7

Hi everyone,
    I thought I'd start even though it is late today.
    I hope everyone is having a good weekend with plenty of things to do. We have had nothing but rain here for days so everything out in the garden is slosshy and wet. I have a bad case of Horn worms eating things but now the assassin bugs have moved in so its like a war going on out there. Hopefully I won't have to resort to spraying. Interesting stuff for you non-gardners I know.

Speaking of that has anyone heard from Garden Girl? I PM'd her but got no response.

My thoughts and prayers go out today to Janice after the loss of her Father, and Kitty that she will be strong and enjoy her family today and tomorrow. Bluesky, I hope you are recovering well and will be back soon to this thread with the wonder quotes and words of encouragement.

Aduggan, those meds sound like they are really knocking you out big time but your doc knows what you need I'm sure. We are all pullin for you so read and post when you can.

Star, your one day at a time approach is good and will help you decide what to do. Everyone is different and I think at different times one decision or another would be the right one for them. I made mine based on my age. I have not been totally successful with even 30 days AF yet but it is my ultimate goal for life. I have not gone overboard though. and am mostly AF.

Have a great day Sheshe, Nancy,db2,Julie001,bird,louise, and anyone else I've neglected to mention.

Melissa
    If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Newbies in Need Day 7

Hi rottrod,
    Sorry your garden is a war zone............hearing the likes makes me glad I live in a flat.......fab. private gardens right outside though.........so get to enjoy the gardens without doing any of the `creepy crawlie` work!!! lol

Yeah, am just taking it easy at mo., and not rushing into any decision about whether to ultimately abstain or moderate. Mods. went well last night.......only had 2 wee glasses of wine, but have bought a btl. for tonight, so I seem to be slipping a little..........

Would dearly love to be a super/sexy/slim femme fatale in time for Christmas, so am giving serious thought to trying a 30 days abs stint............purely as a diet aid you understand!!!! lol

You seem to envisage yourself as ending up abstaining altogether.........I think it really is true that moderating is more testing than abstaining. Anyway, we shall see.........

Hi to all my Newbies In Need friends, and hope you`re all having a fantastic day.

Much love,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in Need Day 7

Weekend time

Hi all

Rottrod, I think I read in another post that you are AF now. Is that right? If so, that's great. I also wish I could do 30 days.

I am really committing to a 3 drink limit and hoping it is something I can stick to.

I find my mindset has changed so much for the better since coming to this website and I am grateful for all the tips and for the understanding I have gained. At the moment, I am particularly taken with books suggested by Imatree (eg pema chodron) as these seem to help so much in dealing with things naturally.

I still really think self-esteem is important to success. If you think poorly of yourself, there is little incentive to change. The better you are, the more you don't want to cause damage.

At least that is the way I am thinking of it at the moment. I hope to do ok tonight and check back with you all tomorrow.

Comment

Newbies in Need Day 7

Hi all,
        I caved yesterday and bought some beer.Drank alot in a short period of time and really felt lousy.Was up half the night with a hangover but feeling ok now. Not sure why I continue when I know how its going to make me feel. Hope you all did better.bird

Comment

Newbies in Need Day 7

Hi bird,
          Sorry you caved yesterday...........I find it`s so easy to give in also.
          Am just using the `tomorrow is another day` philosophy if I have an unplanned drink.
          This sure is tough............

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in Need Day 7

hi birdie

Do you think journaling would help?
            can you write down the reasons you did it? what was the thought process like?

Comment

Newbies in Need Day 7

I keep a journal but don't write in it everyday. I think yesterday I was bored and had been thinking about it all day. Then when I started I was guzzling trying to get that buzz,you get to a point where you dont care. Its awful. bird

Comment

Newbies in Need Day 7

Hello everyone,

Interesting what you say Nancy about not wanting to ruin yourself when you have high self-esteem. Once again, you have managed to make me think. Nice work.

Rotrod, i hope you manage to tame the creatures in your garden, and Starlight Impress, it sounds like you have cut down a fair bit, which is good. Perhaps you should try AF?

Well, i won't ramble on, because as my mood manager suggests, i am barely keeping my eyes open.

Very tired, just realised i am over 30 days AF, which is a miracle... Can't even remember 2 AF days within the last 10 months or so... so, it's good.

Went out last night, caught up with some friends, one of them started pushing alcohol on to me and wouldn't let up, which was really annoying. I just dug my heals in and said no. By the end of the night, i was getting really shitty.

I had a dream a few nights ago that i only took one sip and felt really bad about it, like the last 30 days had been a waste, so i am actually thinking i will abstain for ever if i can so i can avoid feeling like i did in the dream.

However, i am now aiming for 45 days AF.

I received Allen Carr's book, Easy Way To Control Alcohol in the post last week, so i am going to start reading it soon.

Anyway, got to go to bed

:ranger
                One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Newbies in Need Day 7

Hi Change...........am sitting on the fence as regards choosing between AF or moderating.........AF is appealing to me, but I may well be content to continue moderating, if that is, I can truly keep it going.

I think getting a stint of AF behind you does make a lot of people think of the 30 days as a waste if we`re going to drink again, but in one respect, I think it gives our bodies a rest and perhaps makes approaching moderation just a tiny bit easier as our bodies are no longer demanding a constant and plentiful supply of alcohol.

Have been thinking very deeply about my relationship with alcohol this past wk., but like so many, I still feel in awe of the future.............

I think you are very focussed and am impressed that you have decided to try to extend your AF stint to 45 days.

Good luck to you!!

Much love,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in Need Day 7

Hi all,
                    I'm on day 22 AF and have had the most awful headaches. I never get them like that when i drink? Do you think it's just my body de toxing? I feel good today and no headache yet. First day in ages. It's so bizarre.
                    Anyway can't believe i've got to 22 days. feel so proud.
                    Next weekend will be a good test. I've got my friend coming to stay and he drinks like a fish! Him and my hubby will be plastered. It will be weird for me being sober. We're going out on the sat nite but i've already offered to drive. I've got a week off work after that and i think i'm going down to his flat in Brighton for a few days so it will be all one huge test. Hope i pass.
                    Anyway hope you're all ok,
                    Charlotte xxx

Comment

Newbies in Need Day 7

Congratulations on your 22 days AF Vegan! It sounds like you have some willpower, so you will probably be ok around your friend and hubby. In a strange way, seeing other people drink and having them offer me alcohol kind of made me stronger and gave me more resolve. I was tempted, i will tell you that, but i kept thinking No, i have come this far. So yeah, i kind of won some of that self-respect Nancy was talking about back, and need i say everytime i say no to the tempting devil i feel better for it in the morning.

I am hungry for a drink right now actually, but i am going to try to ride it out and hit the herbal tea later.

Good luck on your af quest Charlotte!
                      One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Working...
                      X