Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

Hi, I'm new here. I googled online alcohol groups and found this place. The reason-- it's 5:45 pm and I'm just getting over yet another hangover (the end of which I can't remember).

My head hurts.

I feel like s**t. Physically and psychologically.

In the past two months I've lost my boyfriend (I was in a stupid drunk rage) and slept with a good friend -- all due to drinking to the point past blotto.

I have been drinking for many years. The first time I got drunk I really, really, really liked that feeling. I don't do other drugs (mainly b/c I am big on control, and the thought of my senses freaking out is not attractive to me-- like seeing a wall melt or something).

I quit smoking 4 years ago, and I'm a pretty addictive personality. When I start something, even online games, it's hard for me to stop.

I guess that I'm a binge drinker. I don't have to drink everyday, but usually do. When I start, it's whatever is in the house until I feel that drunk feeling. Then I'll continue until I fall asleep or what not. I do stupid, dumb, assinine things when I am drunk (I don't drive when drunk, but iI make bad decisions, say things I don't mean, fight, act in promiscious ways, etc). I have at least 1-2 blackouts a month.

I can't seem to regulate it, whatever I do.

I can't figure it out. I'm well educated, I have the ability to set goals and reach them in other domains, I just seem to be like an accident waiting to happen. As the years go by the dumb things get bigger and more destructive-- like broken relationships and missed days at work.

At the same time, I like wine, I like beer, and I like to have them with friends. I cook gourmet and love all things gastro. I like the social aspects of alcohol. I like to relax, unwind, go wine tasting, etc.

I just can't seem to stop drinking once I start.

I wake up with a mountain of regret. I feel out of sorts, jittery, crappy all around.

In the ideal world I would cut down. I just don't seem to have that gene. When I like something, it's the more the better. I also hate hate hate the idea of not being able to drink.

I am embarassed to say that when I find out people don't drink I often think to myself that there's something wrong with them (lack of self control) and that they're killjoys.

I am coming to the realization that I might have to be one of those people.

I really don't know what to do.

I'm scared. Help.

Does anyone have some advice or experience to share? Can you relate to this? What do I do? I feel like a defective human being.
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
    Talent will not-- nothing is more common than
    unsuccessful people with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
    Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
    The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve
    the problems of the human race.
    -- Calvin Coolidge

Help

Welcome

You have come to the place where pretty much everyone here has the same problem. Some "binge" like you do, some drink daily, some have been able to quit for more than a year and some, like me are unable to quit for more than a couple days.

We are all trying and all willing to help each other as best we can.

Read what the site has to offer, RJs book, and what the "program" is about. Some people use the program and some don't.

Most importantly, no one here judges and we all understand.

Again, welcome and good luck and figuring out how to deal with this issue.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Help

thanks

I appreciate the welcome, C. What is it that makes feeling drunk so gd good? I wish I could go back to the first drink I had and not do it. Anyway, I'll keep lurking and surfing the site for inspiration. At least it's not drinking!
      -- Calvin Coolidge

Comment

Help

heya Groovychick welcome again! i binged since I was a teenager and got away with it for a long time as I have the pain tolerance and endurance of wiley coyote, but eventually I got tired of the pain, the excuses, the fears, my nerves and memory getting out of kilter. I'm 37yo now this year. Found MWO last year and think it's been instrumental in actually saving my life. Finding a community like this can be a huge tool if you use it. I stopped having that wonderfull "high" sensation now...drinking just makes me feel like crap. Like you I wish I never got down this road, however here we are. I'm a fellow gourmand and love the whole food wine paring thing...a sophisticated drunk am I until I"m drunk then I'm no longer sophisticated of course. Cindi put it well, just to recap her suggestion to download and read RJ's book and ask lots of questiions here.
        if abstainance is your goal pop into the AB's boards. I've abstained more this year then in the last 15 years thanks to this community. ok, enough rambling...catch you 'round.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Help

Hey Groovy, boy, we have alot in common....I'm successful, have always set goals, met them, done well, and in my late 30's, got to overindulging in wine...I too, have taken many gourmet cooking classes, cook lots for friends and family, go to wine tastings, and love the social aspect...until I joined this site, and read, and read, and downloaded the book, and got the supplements, and then had to stop the topa, and got lithium orotate, which is over the counter...I couldn't imagine "gaining control" either....I was soooo sick and tired of being sick and tired...and sooo disgusted this was the one thing I couldn't conquer...maddening! I hate doing, saying, being things I'm really not, just only under the influence....and I hate that anxious, nervous, jumpy, guilty feelings, and those days you can function...all cuz we "poisoned" ourselves....Just read the book, and get the supps, and keep coming here, and chat....you'll find a great, great support!!!! If I can moderate, or cut back and go days without, you can too!!!
          "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Help

texas-- I love your quote~

so great!

Thinking about the fact that hangovers are because we poisoned our bodies makes things a little less hazy about what to do. Thanks.
            -- Calvin Coolidge

Comment

Help

determinator-- so if you're getting drunk but eating fois gras at the same time, it's more like a CHOICE, right? A sophisticated and rationalizing drunk iz I as well. Nice to meet ya!
              -- Calvin Coolidge

Comment

Help

groovychick...........great name! I amongst many, many others will so realate to evrything you have said. Welcome to MWO and I hope you stay a while and get to know us. You will gain so much and hopefully if you are really wanting to, gain control of your drinking. I'm a binge drinker too. An all or nothing girl! But by coming here, I've managed to stop, for the moment. Its an on going struggle but it does get easier. Its a great place. All the best to you. Bella xxx

Comment

Help

Hi groovychick and a warm welcome.

Please don`t be scared.........sure, you feel like you`ve lost control of your life, but we`ve all been there, and we all have regrets about things we`ve said or done in drink...........I now say it`s the drink that`s shameful/shameless, and not us.

Coming here is the best thing you could have done.........there are so many people just like you here, all at different stages on their road to recovery.

I`m much like yourself, in that I really enjoy my wine, and was so determined that I didn`t want to live a life without it. I drink wine both for the taste and the buzz. I have chosen moderation as my path for the timebeing, which means I no longer experience the buzz, but I can still enjoy the taste. However, I know if I can`t maintain a decent level of drinking, that I will have to abstain........I am hopeful it won`t come to that, but it`s early days for me(this will be my 5th wk. moderating), so who knows?........

I think you might want to give moderating a try first and see how you go from there. Whether you choose to cut down or quit, you will find everything you need at M.W.O.

I wish you much love and luck,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Help

Hi groovychick, You seem like a mirror image to myself apart from I am not GROOVY and I am not a chick.
                    But all you have said I can relate to . I am new here myself and posting with these guys has helped me so far...

Purple.

Comment

Help

Hi and :welcome: Groovychick

I am a binge drinker and also like you have never touched drugs because the same reason as yourself. I used to drink to socialize etc and i loved the pubs on summer evenings with friends etc I also split with my boyfriend 3 years ago because of a drunken rage I am now single I carnt have a relationship until Ive sorted out my own problem with drink. Im 31 now and over the years my drinking went from social to destructive drinking I feel I have ruined any type of drinking now because of abusing the drink and I didnt see it coming but now ive realised that its drink and mess up my life or stay sober and be as happy as possible. I hope you can find a middle ground and its not too late for you
                      Stick around this site because the people and advice is ace.

Take care Keepon:h

Comment

Help

Hi Groovychick,

I have you all over my kids bedrooms !!! LOL

Welcome to site and I hope it does help you
                        Best Wishes,

Diamond
                        I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
                        I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Help

Welcome aboard.
                          What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
                          ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Help

Hi Groovychick
                            welcome to a really good place. I've been a member for while but probably hoped that reading a little bit here & there would sort my problems out without me putting any effore in. Not the case !
                            So for me I am starting over again & I know exactly how you're feeling about your drinking. It takes a brave person to admit it though & you should be proud of yourself you have taken that step.
                            Wishing you lots of luck in your journey

xx

Comment

Help

determinator-- so if you're getting drunk but eating fois gras at the same time, it's more like a CHOICE, right? A sophisticated and rationalizing drunk iz I as well. Nice to meet ya!

LOL!!!! there is nothing more expensive and rediculous than ralfing your fois gras because you've drunk youself stupid...yes I've done that.
                              We could start a thread called "what's the most expensive fancy food you barfed 'cos you were wasted" but somehow I don't see that going very well. Be well Groovychick
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X