Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in need - Day 10

Hi Everyone:

Our son & his kids just left. They were here for a week. My husband & our son are very different & don't always see eye-to-eye. In the past, that has put me in the middle. I tried to stay out of it, but there were a few tense times. All in all, it was a nice visit. I didn't drink thru the whole thing I'm happy to say. I did drink some in order to cope, but I hope to do better the next time. I'm glad to say I didn't black out or get completely drunk.

I feel like today is a new day to move forward w/my sobriety. I'm going to try to develop new ways of coping instead of using alcohol to numb out.

I hope all of you are doing well. I'll check back in later. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Newbies in need - Day 10

Hi Mary,
    Glad you enjoyed your family visiting and that you managed to cope with the tense moments without having to drink throughout your son`s entire visit.

I think finding alternative ways to cope with any sort of stress is something we all have to learn to master. I have been doing well with mods and having 3 small wines max. of an evening, however..........yesterday was a particularly stressful day for me, which unfortunately caused me to drink a whole btl./wine. No point in worrying about what`s done, so will try all the harder tonight.

Wishing you strength today, Mary.

A big Hi to all my other Newbies In Need friends.

Have a lovely day.

Much love,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

Star: You have the most wonderful way w/words. You sound like the sweetest person...sensitive. Sometimes the most sensitive people have the most trouble coping w/the ups & downs of life. Let's look for healthy ways to get thru the difficulties of life together. Today, I'm straightening up around home (which I find satisfying) & will try & rest this afternoon. I think that will help me sort things out for myself. Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

You know Mary, I often consider the wealth of aides available to us, such as hypnotherapy, meditation and relaxation. However, I seem to have some sort of mental block as regards these things, as whilst I can appreciate their benefits, I can`t for the life of me seem to get my act together enough to actually try them. Sometimes I feel that my love of wine has caused me to be almost set in stone........I really need to try harder in so many ways, as I think cutting down alone won`t result in me winning this war I`m waging..........I really need to change my whole attitude.........

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

Mary: Sounds like you are doing a bit better. I am also looking for ways to deal with stress other than drinking. I am aiming to reserve alcohol for social or pleasant occasions, not for occasions when I am upset or lonely.

I am aiming for AF this week, so far so good but it is only Tuesday.

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

Good Morning from the Land of OZ

Stress will definitely get to you!! I mentioned yesterday about meditation. I think tonight when I get back from work I am going to start looking into it.

I also brought my tennies to walk at lunch with. The cubicle I am in is 3 flights up, so I can walk up and down the stairs and the restaurant I eat in is about half a mile from the office. If rain stays at bay today, I can get in some exercise without even thinking about it too much.

I am, however, doing the topa thing, which I know many want to avoid. I am at 100 mg and starting to feel some of the bad effects. Kind of scared about being at the client this week, however, I am also suddenly much more in control of the alcohol.

Okay, rambling again.

All have a wonderful day!!

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

Hi Everyone,

Today I am going to recommit myself to the MWO program. I was doing well in April and May with AF days and some moderation - - then the wheels fell off!!

I felt so great every morning, my self-esteem was high, I lost a few pounds, my skin looked refreshed.....So why the heck did I let myself go back to my old ways??? How self destructive is that?

For me, along with the MWO program & boards, I know it is essential for me to eat an early dinner in order to be successful. I have little desire for drink when I have a full stomach. My DH is out of town for the next 3 nights, so I am committing myself to eat dinner by 5:00. This should help jump start me.

I am very thankful to have been able to read all of your posts for the past few months. I've never posted much, but this time around I am going to try to be more active rather than a passive player.
              TC

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

Hi Taking Control.

Glad to have you with us and here`s to you being able to repeat your past success.

Good luck,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

Hello everyone!! Congratulations to all for your successes and new insights. And thank you all for sharing them. I learn a lot by reading here.

Taking Control and/or others, who here is using the MWO CD's and recommended full range of supplements? I just got my shipment and of course feel overwhelmed with this pile of stuff! I have to sit down with everything today, reference back to the book, and get it all organizes. I'm sure I will need to write out a schedule until I get the hang of all the various stuff in the program. So...anyone who is using all these tools - would love any tips you have to offer.

Thanks!!
                  DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

I agree entirely with the "stress" thing. I did 42 AF days from beg of May and now I know I'm slipping back. What worries me most is that at the moment I don't have any enthusiasm or incentive to change what I'm doing. Losing dad has knocked me for six and I'm probably just using his death as an excuse to drink - at the moment I don't really care -maybe soon I'll get myself back on track. Welcome back Aduggan. Janicexx
                    AF since 9 May 2012
                    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

Janice I'm sorry about you losing your Dad (((((Janice))))))). I'm dreading that day. I can't even imagine......

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

Lovely to see you back with us Janice.
                        Your sad loss will obviously be with you for a long time. I think it`s important for you not to be so hard on yourself...........you`re only in the earliest stages of the grieving process, and if sometimes you feel like a wee drink to comfort yourself, then that`s O.K. Just try not to overdo it and I`m sure you`ll get your drinking under control as you start to feel a little better.

Thinking of you and saying a wee prayer to help you be strong, Janice.

Starlight Impress

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

Hi guys,

This thread is pretty long already so I'll just do a general shout to you all plus a little welcome back for Mary & Janice.

Things ok here, not much to say. I am a little down today as I've put on a good 10 pounds in the three weeks since not drinking or smoking. I just seem to have an insatiable appetite, things just taste so great right now and I feel like food is now the "treat" I award myself with for not indulging the other vices. I need to get a handle on this because being overweight makes me depressed and depression is a drinking trigger for me.

Blimey if it's not one thing it's another!

Anyhow hope you're all ok,

Kitty
                          Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                          Confucius

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

Hi again all.

Kitty, that's another awesome avatar of Monty!!

My hat is totally off to you for tackling smoking AND drinking at the same time. I too gained 10 since quitting smoking which is about 4.5 months ago. (well, and I already needed to loose a bunch before that!). But...that's not my point.

I understand where you are coming from and how depressing it can be. I am hoping to get my food choices under control, and also start at least walking some every day. Wanna join me? Can't hurt the way I figure. The guy that did my accupuncture said that the metabolic impact of quitting smoking (the "drug" not boosting the system any more) can be overcome with 10 minutes of walking per day. Of course I have NOT been doing that.

Oh well. I am SO HAPPY to be over the cigarettes - at least the worst of the cravings - I'm ready to tackle the booze and the pounds.

After the driveway repair people get here tomorrow, I'm laying down with the "Clearing" CD and NOTHING is going to stop me from that. I'm also starting the supplements tomorrow AM. I hope this works.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 10

DG,

Treadmill here I come!! Thanks for the walking tip it sounds very doable.

Good luck with your sups and enjoy the CD tomorrow.

Kitty
                              Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                              Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X