Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, Kangaroo, Where are YOU?

Hi Kangaroo!

I've gotta admit that I am just a bit ticked off that you've put yourself out there Kanga, gotten all these responses, and then just disappeared (or so it seems...). What gives? We want to be here for you. No one deliberately hurt you. People have done backflips to make amends. So where are you?

I've written this with affection, but I am ticked off!

Hugs,
    Kathy

I agree......very rude to write such a mean spirited post and then not check in and see if perhaps you were off base, which based on the responses you got you were very off base. A lot of my posts do not get responses but that is no reason to say negative things about this board.....

Comment

Biting my tongue here...:b .... easier said than done. Hope you're ok Roo!

Comment

I agree - I know this is now going to seem that we're all having a pop but we're all here for a reason and when I read someone apologising for not replying to 'kangaroo' because they're too involved in their own stuff I got cross.

Of course we're involved in our own stuff, it's so bloody hard doing this and if you've got anything left over to support others then that's brilliant but then there's going to be the times when you're not going to have the energy to do anything but keep yourself afloat. Somedays I could run the world, other days I find I'm barely able to run a bath.

I was doing brilliantly for the first 3 weeks - fell off a bit but only to the extent of a few drinks per day (instead of about 15) I'm now back on track but... that's how it goes. I personally don't think it's about 'fitting' in and I don't think I write to get specific replies, I write to share, I write to off-load, I write to give support, empathise etc and in turn, I get replies and the forum evolves.

Comment

Why are we ticked? Makes me laugh. Like learning the psychology to e-boards;>). Funny & fascinating. Fall-out of reaching out to others? I fell for this one though. One reason -- I was trying to not be cynical. Why? --well I was called on it-- & took it to heart. Tried to be open & learn & I did.

However,since I have started on the boards around April I have witnessed a couple of highly self-centric, totally uncommitted rather drunken dudes that used up a lot of a lot of people's time. I could see right away they were not interested in the program & not serious about helping themselves. I mentioned this but it sounded too judgemental. And I will say their names right now since they are no longer around ( surprise ;>) lee collins & musicz man (sp?). I was amazed at how much people kept saying 'stay,we want to help you', etc. That was when I realized the board did not have addiction counselors and was just made up of loving, struggling everyday people -- which I love by the way, and which I think gives it its strength.

Just a fascianting observation (or not) of an e-board made up of group of fascinating individuals.

Comment

Well, when we try not to be cynical, we do reach out and sometimes get a little hurt. It's good to just say what we feel, rather than stew about it. Then it's done and over, finito benito. I said what I thought and haven't really thought about it since much since. Your point is well taken, Chrys, although I prefer not to name names.

Kathy

Comment

Chrysa,
              I think because we have all been in a struggle with alcohol, we are going to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. We have all seen it happen here where someone comes seeking help and then falls off the boards never to be heard from again. If someone has found this board they were obviously searching for help either for themselves or a loved one.

People often post in the beginning when they are drinking or drunk. The times when I felt the worst about myself and thought about getting help was when I was drinking. I will never stop being encouraging to anyone who posts here looking for help. I was in a bad place for a couple months and I was given a lot of support from members here. I'm thankful that people here did not feel I was just wasting their time.

I feel bad for those that post a few times and don't have the determination or motivation to pursue getting help. I'm sure some have went different routes than MWO, such as AA or rehab, but for those that never get out of the awful hole that we are all too familiar with, I feel sorry for them.

Marcie

Comment

Nicely said Marcie!

Donna

Comment

OK -- we will just have to agree to disagree -- or something like that...

Comment

Chyrs,

I see your point, however I see Marcie's as well. Yes, there have been a few very outrageous folks with posts that were inappropriate at best. Those post are usually removed. But when someone comes here seeking help and may be a bit long in the mouth...is that how that saying goes... I think they are usually called to task soon enough by the people here, and eventually gladly except the support being offered. Does that make sense?

Donna

Comment

I don't know, who do you like better, Forrest Gump or a politician? I'd rather be a little gullible than too cynical.

Comment

Oh oh -- wait - feel need to clarify a bit..oh please read

This is not a defense so that you think I am not really a heartless bitch. Anyway --I'm not. Well..

1) Marcie..I read some of your early posts (as much as they are kept on line - I don't know process) and you are nothing, nothing, nothing like these guys.

2) "prefer not using names"...come on -- that is self-righteous just a bit -- these boards are so wide open & public including the chat, ... plus those guys are gone & if they are truly serious & want help if/when they come back that will be nothing to them.

3)Marcie, Donna...Of course I truly do feel sorry for those who just cannot find a way to get or keep the help they need and simply cannot overcome this disease. It breaks my heart. I have lost people. Do I have to say more. Maybe it's just that I have lived with this thing my whole life, really....... come to think of it. I mean in my own case -- it is just later in life drinking. But my entire family -- aunts, uncles, parents -- all difficult alcoholics (thank God -- not grandparents)..then my Vietnam Vet cousin lost on streets to alcoholism, then my daughter's friends dying from drug overdoses, attending funerals...

Oh dear -- that just came out ....sorry ...well I have learned a lot from people... as I guess we all have

Comment

Re: Oh oh -- wait - feel need to clarify a bit..oh please re

FORREST GUMP!!!! THANK YOU KATHY

Comment

I'm sorry Chrys, you just come across a tad jaded at times. I've read your posts and they do sound cynical and sometimes bitter. I know about bitter myself, and I know it hasn't done me much good. Sorry. That's just how I feel.

You are right, we can agree to disagree. Actually, I didn't think we were disagreeing until you put it that way!! Having both said our piece, I hope we can leave it that way.

Oops, we were just posting at the same time, and I just read all of your last post. I'm sorry about the people you lost. Yes, there are some very self-absorbed people on this board who leave. There are also some who given half a chance do stay and end up being member who contribute a great deal Chrys.

Let's bury the hatchet, shall we??? Somewhere else, perhaps, not in each other? Olive branch extended--hope you will accept!

Kathy

Comment

I didn't mean to or want to sound judgemental. I just give everyone the benefit of the doubt who is on this board because I've lived and still do live with this struggle every day. Yea sometimes there are those that may take advantage of the boards here. I guess that will happen regardless because of this atmosphere.

You're right Chrysa, we all have learned A LOT from people.

Marcie

Comment

Working...
                              X