Tips on meditation materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone on the newbies thread mentioned an interest in getting into meditation. I was thinking it would be great to get a list of good books and CDs.

I will start it off.

I think it is good to read about the philosophy so that meditation makes more sense. So I liked Jack Kornfield Meditation CDs for beginners. Has a lot of talking and some exercises. I think mindfulness meditation is good for making peace with yourself.

Does anyone have other suggestions? I would love to read about it and am sure others would too.

don'tmake me a thread starter/thread killer!!!

Doesn't anyone have any tips?

Boo hoo

Comment

I think mindfullness is key to keeping me healthy, or starting me back to being healthy when I chose not to be healthy. It is really not anything formal though that I can point to. I have had so many classes and read so many books on the subject. I am not someone who wants to sit and meditate but rather chose to be mindful thoughout the day. For me, this means eating without the t.v. or any distraction. And not eating out of a frozen dinner tray. Put it on a real plate. Eating things that were on earth 100 years ago- and that eliminated dorritos and hagan daaz ice cream. Anyway, I am not really addressing the question but I think just being still and really being aware of my actions is my form of meditation. It is also super important to me to wake up without the sound of an alarm. I am fortunate that I wake up early. I think waking to the jar of an alarm would ruin my day. I am also really careful never to listen to the things that disturb me the most on the news. I will talk over the tv to avoid hearing something horrid.

I know my post is not what you are looking for but it is my meditation.

Silence is golden. I would love to do a silent retreat. No reason that I cannot.

My favorite word is Namaste. If you do not know what it means, look it up or google.

xo

Comment

Excellent thread

This comes to mind: for those of you who have iTunes or are thinking of downloading it, you'll find lots of resources in the form of podcasts, which are free downloadable audio programs. You simply subscribe to them and you are alerted each time a new show is available. You then download the program to iTunes and listen to it on your iPod, MP3 player, computer, or whatever is most convenient. You can also listen to past programs.

If you're interested in meditation, search the iTunes store and you'll come upon a program called Meditation Station and another: Learn to Meditate. You can also download free or 99 cent individual guided meditation sessions--it's a great way to try out various flavors until you find a good fit.

Warning: Podcasts are unbelievably addictive, with many fabulous shows archived online. Be sure to check out BrainSync:Theatre of the Mind, Science Meets Spirituality, Dr. Wayne Dyer's Inspiration, or Deepak Chopra. They've all discussed various facets of meditation and other fascinating topics.

Of course you can download boatloads of books from iTunes, too. Earlier this summer I bought and listened to that Kornfield book you mentioned, Nancy. I thought it was really good.

Lucky, I'm with you re: keeping mindful. And avoiding the daily barrage of negative reporting in the press...this is a new turn for an old news junkie.

Thanks for starting this thread, Nancy.

Namaste.

RJ
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

bumping up this old thread

Comment

Nancy, I also bumped up the meditation thread (called: "Anyone Into Mindfulness Meditation?") that I started, it has most of the stuff I usually recommend. I agree, Jack Kornfield is very good, and anything by Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein; also, all of Jon Kabat-Zinn's books.

Specific books for people in recovery from alcoholism: The Tao of Recovery, and Mindful Recovery.

And: Gil Fronsdal's website, for fantastic free downloads (not podcasts, although you can get much of his material, and that of other teachers, as podcasts as well, here).

Also, quite a lot of material at this website.

wip

Comment

bumping for Larisa.

Comment

WiP, so glad you bumped this. Guess I missed it when first posted. Lucky and Nancy make great points. I will check out the Kornfield material, it looks interesting. Ironically, I find myself deep in mindful thought while running or biking…my own time kinda thing. I guess that’s why I like it so.

I think actively choosing not to expose ourselves to the negativity of the world is good too. I try and focus on how I can make a difference, not all of wrong.

Thanks for this thread all.
                Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Thank you!!

Comment

I soooooooooo need something like this too........I`m always so tense........thanks guys.

Star x
                    Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

I'm not into any real meditation but find just a walk in the woods to be calming and meditative. Getting back to nature is one of the most peaceful, thought provoking things that I do. I believe it reconnects you to what is imporant. Just MHO.

Comment

Hi again

To Cuckoo's nest... it is nice to walk in the woods if you can appreciate it. I am the type of person whose brain is overly active even in that situation. So if your mind is racing, how can you enjoy it?

Meditation helps create a sense of inner peace. Starlight, I really highly highly encourage you to look into this. I know you have issues with anxiety and this philosophy could really help you.

It's been so valuable for me, learning that the mind can be wrong and that there is something deeper I can latch on to. Anyone with an active mind or who tends to be cerebral could benefit. I recommend the book Mindful Way Through Depression, John Kabatt Zinn (sorry if spellings are incorrect.) This book comes with a CD. In some areas, mindfulness based stress reduction programs are offered and look so interesting.

Comment

Thanks for this thread everyone.. i used to walk and walk and walk really hard for hours every day just to calm my mind.. but now I'm older my bones are not happy and I'm suffering from my walks. This has got me feeling kind of trapped.

So I MUST learn some alternative form of release. Just lately another MWO friend suggested Wendi Freisan so am trying that out. At first it was annoying, then terrific, but now not so sure. So far it is really helpful but I know I'll get sick of it soon.. repetition & all that maybe good maybe bad.

Shall look up the meditation guides suggested.
                          Many thanks to all & keep em coming!!
                          :goodjob:
                          Hugs
                          Fickle

Comment

Hey Fickle

I think meditation will help you. But you need to get an understanding of the philosophy behind it.

Work in Progress has posted names of good books and I posted mine. I think she mentioned something called Minfulness for beginners. Look up her posts.

You don't need a CD really so nothing to get sick of. You just need an understanding of the philosophy and then some time during the day.

Good luck,
                            Nancy

Comment

bump for Christy.

Comment

Working...
                              X