Anyone ever try Antabuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drink everyday. And it took my husband questioning me to realize it's not normal to do that. I was just married in August of last year. I drink daily, my mother drinks daily, my grandmother drinks daily. I never have looked at myself to have an alcohol problem. Sure, I thought "I need to stop drinking or cut down on my drinking" or after missing work for being hung over say "I need to quit." I get happy when I drink, I look forward to drinking, I LOVE to drink, WHO THE HELL AM I IF I DON'T DRINK? I am surrounded by friends and family who think it's "funny" that I drink so much.

Anyways, I don't physically feel like I can stop drinking on my own. I tried a few times and lasted a day or two. Has anyone tried Antabuse? I have a doctors appointment on Friday to ask for some. I don't know how to tell this doctor I want this drug. I have a lot of pride and hide my abuse from people who would look down upon it. I'm so glad I found this forum and can read about others who are going through the same thing. :new:

Also, on a side note...I'm already researching how long you have to be off Antabuse to have a drink. Is there any hope for me? I'm a loser!!

Comment

Hi sockit and:welcome:

I just like to point out you are not a loser ok
      If you were you wouldnt have joined this site to help yourself and also go to the docs on Friday......as for antabuse there is a thread somewhere in the posts about Antabuse you might want to try and find it there is lots of opinions about Antabuse........I got that from my doc also but I have never touched it because of the side effects etc......But you should do some research before taking it.......Take care......Luv Keepon:h

Comment

check out the meds forum. there's a loooong thread on Antabuse.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hey sockit2me,

I've been taking antabuse for 17 days now, and it seems to be working great for me..... I am still worrieItd about the side effects, but the alcohol was ruinning my brain as well as my liver.

When I think about a drink (and that does happen) I take the pill, and then I know I have no options.... I feel more peaceful than I have in a very long time.

It's not a cure all, but it helps for now. Good Luck.

Kali

Comment

Working...
          X