Seriously - WTF?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously - WTF?!?

ok, I'm not new to the boards, but I feel like I"m just starting out (again). I started strong in late winter/early spring, then faltered... swore I'd get back on track, then didn't. I'm writing this very hung over and annoyed with myself. I WANT to change, I'm just not doing it... So that's why I'm starting over (third time's the charm, right?)

Since I found MWO, I've always thought of it as a safety net... like someplace I can go if things get really bad. But the thing is, things ARE bad... I can rationlize all I want but I keep saying I'll stop drinking and don't. Maybe I'm lazy? I know it takes will-power, and in all other aspects of my life I am just chock full of will-power... but fermented anything in a glass (or bottle... I'm not picky) totally kicks my ass every time we meet.

So - here I am. Again. As always, I swear I will use these boards to help myself, but I know I will probably use them just long enough to put a band-aid over the problem and leave when I feel I have control over the stupid drinking thing (not that I WILL have control, but I'll THINK I do).

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results (Einstein, I think). I keep posting without actually engaging anyone...that's obviously not working. So I have two questions for everyone...

First, WILL YOU ALL PLEASE HELP ME? I'm not talking about needing to be baby-sat or anything (not that there's anything wrong with that). I know I'll log in to the drink tracker every day, but if you see that I'm not posting, call me on it! Harass me, be annoyed, be funny, be stressed out and need to talk to someone, whatever - I'm not picky. Lurking is definitely not helping me, so I think I need to start actually talking to people. If you all get annoyed that I start threads (if I actually start threads), I"m ok with that... let me know. (I think you get the idea)

Second, has anyone here just looked around, taken in their drinking habits, seen people living normal, non alcohol controlled lives and wanted to stand up and scream:

"seriously - what the F@#$!!!!? I"m an otherwise normal, intelligent person, so what the H*ll am I missing?"

Honest - I just don't get it... I read all the "chemical imbalance" and "some people are just different" articles and I understand and appreciate them... then I go right back to being someone who "drinks" without knowing why.

Wow - this rant went on WAY too long... I'll stop for now (and get to my actual work for the day). I REALLY want to make this work, so let's see what happens, shall we?

:h

Noella

Seriously - WTF?!?

Hello Noella :-)

How much are you drinking every day?

And what else is going on in Noella world/head?

PM me if you like..

David xxx
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

More than happy to chat and exchange ideas if you like...

David x
      The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.
      Oscar Wilde

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

Hi and nice to meet you. I just found this place recently and am so grateful to have found it... I have felt "hope" ever since I've been here. That's a new feeling for me!

"seriously - what the F@#$!!!!? I"m an otherwise normal, intelligent person, so what the H*ll am I missing?"

Yep - I think that almost every single day. I totally understand what you mean! I'll be driving home from work looking at other people going about their day and wondering (a) Why don't they want to have a drink? .. and (b) Why do I, especially when I know all of the bad consequences? ... So far, no good answers except "something's wrong with me and I have to fix it." Working on that!

Have you tried Kudzu? I have some on order, but am hearing so many great things about it. I'll take any help I can get.

Nice to meet you ... and hang in there!
        AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

Noella,

You've taken your first step and recognized that you need to be back at MWO. I am back for the second time, as of yesterday. I also told myself that the lurking wasn't committal enough and have decided to start posting. I must be active and not passive about my problem.

I understand your frustration about life being normal on every level except the drinking end. I have everything going for me, but why do I want to poisen myself? Besides the drinking, I could not ask for a more ideal life. I have good health, a large wonderful extended family, a good marriage, 3 healthy kids, a beautiful house, - - - so what the F@#$%^^???

See you on the boards!
          TC

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

Idiot_wind: Mind if I just call you "wind"? Your avatar is way too cool to be called idiot let's see... last night I had 2 martinis, 3 glasses of wine, 2 shots of Tequilla (don't ask), and 2 glasses of whiskey...and I never left the house (yes - I deserve to be hung over). IN all honesty, my drinking is very random as far as what I do drink... sometime it gets insane, sometimes I can just appreciate a glass of wine with dinner...

as far as what else is going on in my head... I wish I could call in sick to work (or at least work from home as I've been doing this morning)... I wish I could lose weight just with good intentions.... I wish I was a billionaire so I could just decide to ditch my day and go swimming in a tropical ocean this afternoon! (I'll PM after work)

42Cat - I KNOW!!! I don't understand why people just don't want to sit in traffic with a beer just to make the commute more pleasant... (OK, I do know all the safety factors involved in that, but whatever) I haven't tried Kudzu or any of the supps b/c I wanted to avoid medication... definitely re-thinking that approach...

Taking control: MY life is good too - just got a job after a long period of unemployment, love my bf (who will likely be a fiancee soon), love my house... I just don't get it.

Off to the cubicle now... Cheers and have a good day everone! I'll check in this evening

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

I am ashamed to say that I've brought a drink to work and left it in the car, to drink on the drive home, on more than a few occasions. Bad, wrong, how dare I endanger myself and others, etc. What blocks this in my head and makes me think it's OK somehow is beyond me, but it will stop. I promise that to myself.

Re. medications - I want to avoid anything like that too. The Kudzu sounds good to me I guess because it's a herbal thing, or at least I think it is? I know those things can have effects like meds, but somehow I feel better about trying something like that as opposed to say Antabuse or the other stuff you need a prescription for (which I don't really know anything about yet). Worth a try to me at this point in my life for sure. Hope it comes soon.

I did a little better last night than most days/nights re. drinking. Had about 4 rum and diet cokes between 7:30 and 10:00, the last one being quite strong, the first three not so bad..... This is a step up for me. I'm working full days this week (8-5), so afternoon drinks are out and I drive home with my husband. (Next week, diferent story - he's away and I'm back to 8-12:30 mornings... and I'm scared about that, but taking this one day at a time).

Anyway hope you have a great day at work, or had a great day at work if you're reading this in the evening! And, if you are, grab a glass of lemon water, iced tea, or even chew a stick of gum .. and start posting! .... *a friendly nag from someone who should be nagged herself*

~Catt
              AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

Nice to see you back Noella,

Be positive, you CAN do this ...........

Love & Hugs, BB xx

PS Keep posting ........
                sigpicXXX

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

Hi Noella! I'm new here but just wanted to say hi and I will be happy to nag you so long as you promise to nag me back.

Sorry you are dealing with a hangover. While Vodka is my booze of choice, and I also like wine, I have had my fair share of occassions where I drank whatever was in the cupboard, including mixing a disgusting array of stuff. I SO want to put this behind me!!

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

Hi Noella, It is good to see you back although I am sorry you are in a bad place. Yes, I do look at "normal" people all of the time happy with their ice water or soda at parties and look at myself and think "WTF is wrong with me that I must have a drink all of the time?" But if you work this program you will see a difference. And coming around here and becoming engaged can really help. If I do not see you posting I now have your permission to hunt you down, which I will do.
                    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

Noella, your voice sounds SO much like my own. I've had all the same WTF thoughts rage endlessly through my mind... what's wrong with them that they don't want to drink, what's wrong with me that I can't imagine not wanting a drink...

oh damn... crisis moment here at work... oh i have much to say... will continue...

I'm on day 3 AF, best I've done in like, ever? and I feel a major shift in my entire being... there's something I want to share... I'll be back in a couple hours....
                      Hugs,
                      imatree

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

imatree - I too an waiting with great interest for what you have to say!!!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

It occurred to me in the past couple days, and I thought about it a lot last night, that for a hell of a lot of people, there is one of their attempts to quit drinking that is no longer an attempt, but is a success. I seem to have been operating in a mindset (based on all the failures to quit I'd seen in my family growing up and my own failures quit) that the struggle with alcohol is about the struggle - trying and failing and trying again and failing again ... success was just a dream part of it but never truly, in my mind, a genuinely attainable reality.

I started thinking about the people I know and know of and all those I don't know who have quit, who did have that last day of drinking and first day of not drinking that was the first day of freedom... it was revalatory for me.
                          I REALIZED THAT IT IS POSSIBLE AND CAN BE MY REALITY TO ATTAIN MY GOALS OF SOBRIETY AND HEALTH AND FREEDOM FROM ADDICTION.
                          That the struggle with alcohol does not have to be a never-ending cycle of trying and failure.

This awareness caused a major shift in my consciousness, mind, spirit, entire Being.

And NOW I know I will be free.
                          Today is my third AF day. I've made so many attempts before, so many times I've thought "This time I'm going to do it" - but NEVER have I felt like this before.
                          I feel FREE. It's only been 3 days, but I am confident that I have released the shackles that doomed me to repeat my history, to be chained to my addiction and crutch, that kept me hidden away in the dark cave frightened of the light.
                          Hugs,
                          imatree

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

Imatree, this is a really inspired message. Thank you for sharing.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Seriously - WTF?!?

Catt - I've (shamefully) done that too? I don't remember why I did it, but it was on my way back from school ?I was stressed, but I couldn't wait until I got home? Ugh? As for you for next week - I'm there for you man! I can't really be online while I'm at work, but if you need a friend or some extra motivation, send me a message and I'll get back to you asap!

BB and Lushy - thanks for the welcome! It's good to be back?and Lushy - definitely feel free to hunt me down, I need it!

DG - I'll definitely say hi and track you down? I'll nag if you nag! BY the way - I LOVE your tag line (or whatever it's called) I totally agree with that statement!

Imatree - wow! That was lovely, and very inspiring. You're right, you can fail lots of times, but you only have to succeed once! Thank you for sharing. :h :l

Ok, off to post round the boards? Have a great evening all!

-N

Comment

Working...
                              X