Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Registered User.

    Join Date;
    31st October, 2014.
    Posts;
    111.

    Taking pleasure in not giving the alcohol companies money

    Taking pleasure in not giving the alcohol companies money

    Another thought to help people get through the day is this. I saw a youtube video about how scummy the alcohol companies in the similarities of what big tobacco were doing 30-40 years ago.

    Currently Iím 24 days without alcohol and my mind is a bit consumed with the subject. Concentrating on how good I feel and other health benefits such as a little weight loss. Keeping more of my own money is another benefit and knowing that an alcohol supplier is now not getting my money is another positive.

    If anyone is not already thinking this then please start so that you can raise another smile 


    xxx

  2. #2
    Forum Subscriber. JackieClaire's Avatar

    Join Date;
    5th September, 2008.
    Location;
    England.
    Posts;
    37,527.

    Re: Taking pleasure in not giving the alcohol companies money

    Congrats on your 24 days. Isn't it amazing the changes in a realtively short time.
    My advice put the money in a glass container and give it a shake each day. Listen to the coins and notes rattle..........it made me smile when I did it and in the not too distant future it'll be too heavy to pick up. I did it.
    When I gave up smoking three years ago I put the amount I spent on cigarettes in a tin. I'm was horrified after just three months how much I'd basically burnt. Over just a year it paid for two holidays and a chunk of Christmas.
    I couldn't believe the bloatiness (is that an actual word) but I think you know what I mean and how my skin changed when I kicked the drink.
    Keep doing what works for you.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

  3. #3
    Registered User.

    Join Date;
    31st October, 2014.
    Posts;
    111.

    Re: Taking pleasure in not giving the alcohol companies money

    I will keep doing it yes.

    Can now make the money work for me rather than throw it behind a bar.

    I did most of my drinking in bars which is more expensive than a supermarket. Therefore i’ll make bigger savings by stopping.




    xxxx

  4. #4
    Forum Subscriber. JackieClaire's Avatar

    Join Date;
    5th September, 2008.
    Location;
    England.
    Posts;
    37,527.

    Re: Taking pleasure in not giving the alcohol companies money

    Good grief, in a bar!!!!...............you'll be a millionaire by Easter
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

  5. #5
    Registered User.

    Join Date;
    31st October, 2014.
    Posts;
    111.

    Re: Taking pleasure in not giving the alcohol companies money

    Quote Originally Posted by JackieClaire View Post
    Good grief, in a bar!!!!...............you'll be a millionaire by Easter
    yea. about £5 per drink. easily spend £30 on a moderate amount of alcohol.

  6. #6
    Registered User. NotHappyHourHappyLife's Avatar

    Join Date;
    12th February, 2014.
    Location;
    USA.
    Posts;
    341.

    Re: Taking pleasure in not giving the alcohol companies money

    Congratulations on your success! You are almost at the 30 day milestone!

    I've quit "several times", lol... I would think of it as a "break" or as a "cleanse", stay away from booze for 30 to 60 days, and then slip back into my old habits, with the promise that I'd do it BETTER this time: I'd have better rules (wine only, no hard core stuff..... only on Friday nights and Saturday nights.... only with certain friends/family.... only X number of drinks)... and then?
    Down
    The
    SLIPPERY
    S
    L
    O
    P
    E.....


    I'd rationalize that I had "over reacted" and now that I was aware of my drinking habits, I could change them, right?

    And everytime, within 6 months, I was back to my old habits.
    Part of my problem is how alcohol is so well-accepted by society as our drug of choice.
    Need to relax?
    Want to loosen up and laugh with friends?
    Need to let go because ticked off at work?
    Need to forget because of all of financial pressure?

    When I decided to quit quitting, my mindset was different this time. All of the rationalizations I listed above were never put on the table. The timing was great for me, because I was not going to be exposed to some of the social triggers that made it okay to drink- i.e. First Class airplane rides, Airline Club bars, travelling with co-workers and "hitting the bar before dinner"..... so I had time for myself to get ahead of these excuses. I had 60 days of ME telling myself that I'm worth it, and to stop lying to myself. NO sabotage this time.

    When I did attend a work sales conference, I kept booze off the table- some people did ask, but only momentarily, lol- truth is, it doesn't really matter to them. I stayed closed to my friends that cared more about me than whatever liquid was in my glass (club soda with a lime looks eerily similar to a vodka tonic, lol)... and when people got slap-dumb as the night grew long, my AHA moment.... (Wow, was I that stupid too?) reaffirmed to myself that I made the right choice.

    If your friends are at your local pub, and you've fallen off their radar screen, think twice before entering back into the door.... be ready for the questions about why you aren't drinking booze anymore.... and if that's too hard, be kind to yourself and stay away for now.

    Protect your Quit. You are doing something that will make your future much better.
    "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
    so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."

  7. #7
    Registered User.

    Join Date;
    31st October, 2014.
    Posts;
    111.

    Re: Taking pleasure in not giving the alcohol companies money

    I am thinking that non drinking could soon be the norm for me.

    Not quite long enough yet but soon to keep growing.

    Currently been telling people i’m doing dry January just for something to say.

    After that I will say that I decided to keep going and before I know it , it will be spring.


    x

  8. #8
    Forum Subscriber. JackieClaire's Avatar

    Join Date;
    5th September, 2008.
    Location;
    England.
    Posts;
    37,527.

    Re: Taking pleasure in not giving the alcohol companies money

    @scotskev81................like your thinking. Its nobody's business but yours.
    Although I did my first month not drinking in July 2009 I just kept telling people I enjoyed it so much I was going to do August, which became September...................... what feels like the bat of an eyelid here I am ten and a half years later no one bats an eyelid.
    My husband, kids and one or two friends know and my doctor. They're very proud of me .........Its on a need to know basis.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

  9. #9
    Registered User. NotHappyHourHappyLife's Avatar

    Join Date;
    12th February, 2014.
    Location;
    USA.
    Posts;
    341.

    Re: Taking pleasure in not giving the alcohol companies money

    Quote Originally Posted by scotskev81 View Post
    I am thinking that non drinking could soon be the norm for me.

    Not quite long enough yet but soon to keep growing.

    Currently been telling people i’m doing dry January just for something to say.

    After that I will say that I decided to keep going and before I know it , it will be spring.


    x
    Happy February, ScottsKev!

    Are you ready for the questions that casual friends may ask? I was watching TV yesterday and one of the TV hosts commented that he did the "Dry January Challenge", and his co-host started naming off possible drink choices for his new "freedom February"?

    When I saw this, I thought of you and your journey.

    I have a co-worker that transferred to another department and after about 6 months, we saw her in the lunch room and she looked fantastic and happy! She had lost about 60 pounds, and of course the first thing people will ask is, "What's your secret?" "Sarah" went on to say that she was diagnosed with an "autoimmune disorder", so she was eating low carb, doing massage therapy, and walking 10,000 steps a day.

    Our mutual friend said, "Girl, we need to go to Happy Hour and catch up!", to where Sarah replied, "No, doctor's orders orders. I'm not having Chardonnay anymore"....
    and our friend replied with, "Well, your doctor won't be at the bar, so he won't know!"

    While we never went to that Happy Hour date, that conversation was almost 2 years ago and it still resonates with me. Instead of being congratulated with her Alcohol Free journey, Sarah was told that it wasn't going to be respected by our mutual friend....and sadly, when I saw her 6 months ago, Sarah had regained the weight and looked bloated, as if she was back on the Chardonnay.

    It was an innocent comment by our friend, but when people don't have alcohol struggles, they don't understand how these little jabs can be taken to heart and sabotage our efforts. So, be ready for those that will encourage you to ignore "doctor's orders".

    For me, like my friend Sarah, I've lost a lot of weight, and I've lost the puffiness of days gone by. I am also working out more, and eating low carb, so I can promote the last 2 life changes without mentioning being Alcohol Free.... except to those that I care enough to share it with.

    So beyond, "Doctor's Orders", ... how about:
    I'm training for a marathon.... (some may laugh in your face, ha ha!)
    I have a bet with (insert loved one's name here) to lose weight, so I can't cheat....
    I'm designated driver tonight...
    I have an early morning meeting...
    New Year's resolution is to save drinking money for a XXX vacation. Have you been there?

    No matter what is said above, the next thing for me is to pivot the conversation back to whoever is asking and stop talking about alcohol.
    "How are your dogs? Did you get your promotion? Where do you go on vacation?".... chances are they won't even notice.

    Protect your Quit!
    "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
    so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."

  10. #10
    Registered User.

    Join Date;
    31st October, 2014.
    Posts;
    111.

    Re: Taking pleasure in not giving the alcohol companies money

    Quote Originally Posted by NotHappyHourHappyLife View Post
    Happy February, ScottsKev!

    Are you ready for the questions that casual friends may ask? I was watching TV yesterday and one of the TV hosts commented that he did the "Dry January Challenge", and his co-host started naming off possible drink choices for his new "freedom February"?

    When I saw this, I thought of you and your journey.

    I have a co-worker that transferred to another department and after about 6 months, we saw her in the lunch room and she looked fantastic and happy! She had lost about 60 pounds, and of course the first thing people will ask is, "What's your secret?" "Sarah" went on to say that she was diagnosed with an "autoimmune disorder", so she was eating low carb, doing massage therapy, and walking 10,000 steps a day.

    Our mutual friend said, "Girl, we need to go to Happy Hour and catch up!", to where Sarah replied, "No, doctor's orders orders. I'm not having Chardonnay anymore"....
    and our friend replied with, "Well, your doctor won't be at the bar, so he won't know!"

    While we never went to that Happy Hour date, that conversation was almost 2 years ago and it still resonates with me. Instead of being congratulated with her Alcohol Free journey, Sarah was told that it wasn't going to be respected by our mutual friend....and sadly, when I saw her 6 months ago, Sarah had regained the weight and looked bloated, as if she was back on the Chardonnay.

    It was an innocent comment by our friend, but when people don't have alcohol struggles, they don't understand how these little jabs can be taken to heart and sabotage our efforts. So, be ready for those that will encourage you to ignore "doctor's orders".

    For me, like my friend Sarah, I've lost a lot of weight, and I've lost the puffiness of days gone by. I am also working out more, and eating low carb, so I can promote the last 2 life changes without mentioning being Alcohol Free.... except to those that I care enough to share it with.

    So beyond, "Doctor's Orders", ... how about:
    I'm training for a marathon.... (some may laugh in your face, ha ha!)
    I have a bet with (insert loved one's name here) to lose weight, so I can't cheat....
    I'm designated driver tonight...
    I have an early morning meeting...
    New Year's resolution is to save drinking money for a XXX vacation. Have you been there?

    No matter what is said above, the next thing for me is to pivot the conversation back to whoever is asking and stop talking about alcohol.
    "How are your dogs? Did you get your promotion? Where do you go on vacation?".... chances are they won't even notice.

    Protect your Quit!
    Thank you

    I’ve told a few people I’m quitting for good and I’m just going to tell my parents that I liked dry Jan so much I thought I’d keep it going. Can also say fed up paying for beer in bars.

    I am still drinking non alcohol beer on nights out or parties but at least I stopped that for the 1st half of Jan. The pub near the football ground has non alcoholic beer on draft so I can drink that before going to a game with my drinking friend.

    I’m big enough to say NO to a drink now and will just say “no thanks’ I’ve quit now, I’ll have a non alcohol beer” I’ll happily have a tea or coffee in a pub if it’s during the day but naturally don’t want that if later in the evening or night.

    At least with non alcoholic beer I don’t drink 10 of them like I used to with normal beer. 3 or 4 might be the max with this and they are actually better for you than soda which is full of sugar.


    Looking forward to increasing the length of not drinking and will be great to look back and say I’ve done 6 months or 1 year. Alcohol is poison.


    If I could magically get a new liver I’d probably go back to drinking for another 20 years but sadly E.T. and his magic finger (owwwuch) are just fantasy land. So going to continue with the “isn’t it great without alcohol attitude” and enjoy the benefits that come with it.


    Shall keep you updated.

    Kev xxxx

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •