The grey whale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The grey whale.

I live very close to Neah Bay, and can only tell you I am appalled and disturbed about what has happened this weekend.

This was a renegade group of 5, including 2 members who were involved in the 1999 legal hunt of the grey whale . At that point, they were legal, they caught their whale, celebrated and ate the whale. They celebrated their heritage.

What occurred on Saturday morning in killing this whale it too horrible. A renegade group of 5 without notifying the tribal council, or gaining acceptance from the State, Federal, or even the global whaling commission, decided to take a grey whale. This whale suffered for about 10 hours before the coast guard set it free to sink.

I know someone in Neah Bay, and after calling her this eve on another subject (not wanting to be obvious), she asked me if I had heard about the whale, I told her I did. She then said it was awful, but since the salmon weren't running, they had the right!!!!!

Strike me down now. This is all I know, and that's how it is.

So sad, I honour the whale who died, and wish he/she didn't have to die so painfully.
    Enlightened by MWO

The grey whale.

I wish the rest of the world was as compassionate as you are, SK. Seems a large part of the human race has no regard whatsoever for other sentient beings, nor for the world environment. You can help by continuing to voice your shock and dismay, by being an example of someone who cares deeply.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

The grey whale.

That's awful.....I hadn't heard about it here in the uk. I understand the debate about whether it's right to take a life for food, and I think I see both sides, but to me there is never, ever a right to inflict suffering in the taking of that life, especially over a protracted period of time. 10 hours?? That's despicable, whatever their tribal rights may be.

The measure of humanity is how we treat other sentient beings. Let's face it...we're cr*p.

Thanks for speaking out SK:l
      Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

The grey whale.

That just makes me so sad. I hate to see anything suffer especially an animal, mammal or anything at the hands of humans.
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

The grey whale.

Used to have a bumper sticker that said :
          "Save the world, kill yourself." Not very positive I know but human beings are the only living creatures who really destroy it!

Poor thing...
          Full is not nearly as heavy as empty, my love...
          Not nearly. -Fiona Apple-

Comment

The grey whale.

This is so sad, SK, and it makes me so angry. The good news is that there are still plenty of people in the world like you who do get angry and voice their concern. I have hope that one day things will get better in this world.

Hugs to you, SKendall. :l :l

Kathy
            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

The grey whale.

Feel sickened having just read this SK.........some people in this world have no heart. No salmon!!!!!..........nothing gave them the right to kill that whale!!!

Starlight Impress x

Comment

The grey whale.

Hmmm - I guess as omnivores, we have evolved to eat other animals - but along with that evolution, we also theoretically evolved intelligence, compassion and empathy for other living things.

It saddens me that there are still so many people in the world that do not care if they cause suffering.
                In this day and, so called enlightened, age - if it is absolutely necessary to kill for food, and there is no way of killing humanely - we should not be doing it.
                Allowing ANY living thing to suffer for 10 hours is inexcusable! :no:

satori
                xxx
                "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

The grey whale.

I was sickened by this story as well........
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

The grey whale.

This saddens me so much. I hate suffering makes me wanna breaks their legs and have them walk on it 10 hours. :bat Well come to think of it I guess I don't hate suffering under ALL circumstances. I like those someone did something bad now let's go kick some ass movies!

Comment

The grey whale.

this is very maddening to me too.
                      Gabby :flower:

Comment

The grey whale.

I'm feeling very good to hear all these good people and their reactions to this inhumane act. I just wonder how many understand how much suffering goes into the meat you eat, those who do eat it, I mean.

Even the hardest of hearts would melt into discrace and shame if they knew the suffering that the meat they eat has been through on the way to the dinner table. We are here on this site together in our efforts to rid ourselves of a terrible poison-- alcohol. I would suggest that to eat factory farmed meat is also poison to our bodies, maybe not the same kind, but definitely soul poison. And poison to the environment.

There is so much we can do to stop unnecessary suffering, help the environment, and help our own bodies and souls by not supporting, buying or ingesting meat.
                        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

The grey whale.

I am both saddened and sickened by this.. Mans inhumanity to other creatures is terrible, because of this I stopped eating meat 4 months ago and I haven't missed it at all,,
                          A F F L..
                          Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

The grey whale.

Oh dear, beatle!!!...........you just gave me food for thought..........

Have been starting to feel good about myself and proud of myself for having quit drinking. After reading your post, as a meat-eater and also a dog owner...........I`m not feeling quite so good about myself now..............

Starlight Impress x

Comment

The grey whale.

I went out on a fishing trawler about 6 times with my ex (fisherman) and everytime just made me feel worse and worse, I finally decided it was just a floating abatoir, and I saw a dolphin, an old man of the sea caught up in the lines and used for bait, and a baby hump back that gratefully (for me) was saved by the coastal patrol, that may have ended up as bait as well, the last time I went out I was sick phyically and emotionally, these guys just see it as a job I guess, and have lost the their feelings in that way ....and anyway I couldn't get off the boat quick enough in the end, and never went back.....to him either... I guess I was traumatised!

I've been a vege earlier in my teenage years, and am pretty much back there, the thought of how creatures die so inhumanly turns me off eating them, and yes, I'm pretty slim these days....

Love veges and fruit, just, lol, tofu good, lol, not trying to judge, just me

Love Jas xxx
                              :thanks: :h

Comment

Working...
                              X