Binge Drank First 3 weeks of Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a first time visitor to this site and I have no idea if I am in the right place, but I am desperate for some help. First a little background. I am definitely a binge drinker (4-5 glasses) of chardonnay 5-6 days a week after work. I "take off" Monday's and Tuesday's. However, things just changed for me. Here goes... I just found out I am pregnant and went to the doctor. Dr. says conception occurred 3 weeks 2 days ago which puts me at 5 weeks 2 days when you add the 2 weeks. We saw the heartbeat! Wonderful moment, but, during this 3 weeks I routinely had 4 glasses of wine a night 5 to 6 days a week until I found out I was pregnant. In fact, I drank at a business function the night before I saw the heartbeat on the ultrasound! Of course, I stopped drinking immediately and will not drink any more. Pregnancy makes me completely stop anything bad. We were trying to get pregnant, but I just had my IUD out and had a period, so I thought I was clear. Also, I test every other week so I can stop bad behaviors right away. When I got a positive test I was already 3 weeks, 2 days post conception. I’ve read so much that says the 3rd week post conception is the worst for drinking. I drank 5 out of 7 days (4-5 glasses each time) during the 3rd week. That’s over 20 glasses of wine! The next day I see the HEARTBEAT! What have I done? Did I ruin the heart? I hear stories about people partying a couple of times before knowing, but that’s nothing compared to what I have done.
    I guess I was hoping someone might have a similar experience and be able to share their story. I am so afraid I gave my baby FAS. I've not had a drink since finding out last week. Needless to say, I need to make some serious changes in my life no matter the outcome. I am not proud of the amount I drink. Thank you for reading.

YOu will be fine. I did the same thing unknowingly and all was okay. Congratulations on the baby!
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Hello Lushy,
      :thanks: THANK you so much for your reply. I must admit I drink very fast too. Pretty much slam the wine like a shot. Did you see the heartbeat after you drank so much. Did you drink fast like me? I feel like the amount I drank is much more then most who don't know they are pregnant. Add to that the slamming part...I know their is a difference between sipping 4 glasses of wine over several hours and ripping through a bottle in 1-2 hours (this is my style). I have a silly rule where I don't drink after 7 PM. You can avoid a hangover that way. I am still able to get up and exercise.

Wow, typing this...I know I need to change. Fortunately, pregnancy puts me on the straight and narrow. It's a much needed 9 month ride. I need to figure out what do do the minute the baby comes though. I don't want to go back to what I was.

Comment

Yep - you will be OK. I did the same unknowingly as well, very early in my pregnancy. As soon as I was late and had the pregnancy test - which came back positive I stopped immediately. My daughter is a healthy, happy, 2.5 year old.

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!

Comment

That was back in the days of my all day drinking sprees so I ingested quite a bit. Beer, wine, and I remember one night getting totally drunk on sake. I did not think I was PG at all or I would never have done that. The nine months will be good for you and I know you will not drink anything. If you find yourself slipping back into a bad pattern I hope you come back here for support.
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I was just sitting here thinking about the last drunk I had 'unknowingly' I was preggo. I drank quite a few beers, lots of vodka and smoked a bit of weed that night. (and I don't smoke weed unless I was completely obliviated).

It will be all OK. People don't know they are pregnant until the missed period, or shortly thereafter... take what you know now and have a happy, healthy pregnancy. I know when I did find out I was pregnant, I was relieved. I had a reason to stop the binging and actually had and wanted to get healthy and start to take care of myself because of the little one growing inside of me.

I think it is normal to feel bad......... but don't.

Comment

Same story for me. I was quite a party girl before I found out I was pregnant (actually, probably wouldn't have ended up pregnant if I had not been drinking so much). Anyway, I had the same worries. And I quit immediately upon finding out. My daughter was born healthy, no problems. Like AFM said, take what you know now and have a great pregnancy. Don't fret too much, as that's not great for mom and baby either.

(And do have a plan in place to not get back into heavy drinking afterwards. I wish I had done that...)
              FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Thank you so much for all of your replies! This is the first forum to answer me. I had posted on some pregnancy sites, but did not get any feedback. I don't think they could relate to my story as they were panicky about the odd margarita or wine cooler they had 2 weeks before finding out. I wish that was my story!
                One last question, I promise! Did you all drink A LOT DAILY like me right up until finding out? All the Web sites I read have me in a panic about the "3rd week post conception" being the WORST of all 9 months to drink. I really did it up that week. The fact that I saw a heartbeat makes me think I'm further along then 5 weeks 2 days also. I go back to Dr. in 2 weeks.

And yes, I do need a plan in place for when the baby comes. It really stinks that getting pregnant is the only thing to keep me in line. I would really like to reset myself to be a normal weekend happy hour person rather then the wine slamming fool I have become. Why can't 2 or 3 glasses over the course of several hours be enough? It used to be.

Comment

Hey, Feeling Bad, my pregnancy (back in 1989) was completely planned! It was an invitro pregnancy, so I know exactly when I conceived or at least when they shot those little eggies back in there. (I know, TMI!) Nevertheless, I drank 2-4 glasses of wine/day until I found out for sure that I was pregnant. So what's my excuse? That they were shooting me up with megadoses of hormones so I had to drink?:huh: :bonkers: Nope, I just have a drinking problem.

I also have a beautiful 18-year-old daughter that is the light of my life, sharp as a tack and now in college. There are many reasons to believe that everything is going to be fine. FAS usually occurs with women who drink HEAVILY (more than 3-4 drinks/day) throughout much, if not all, of their pregnancies. Also, some of the other sites that say the 3rd week post-conception are probably a bit hysterical about these things. We are not talking about German Measles here, or Thalidomide. Remember, some of our moms drank during our pregnancies and didn't think twice about it, and we're fine.

We're going to have to work on you changing your name to Feeling Good soon, or at least the feeling bad will have to do with morning sickness .

All the best and lots of hugs,:l

Kathy
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Feeling Bad,

Yep. My daughter was partying hardy until she found out she was pregnant, too.

Baby is a beautiful 5 year old doing just great.

Never any guarantees in life either way.

Enjoy being pregnant. Happiest times of my life!!

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi FB, and welcome,
                      what is important is that since you found out you were pregnant you haven't been drinking.
                      Lot's of women drink in the first few weeks of pregnancy, because they don't realise. You
                      will be fine. New research is even saying that one drink a day is ok, but I wouldn't risk it.
                      Enjoy your pregnancy and keep well.
                      Paula.

Comment

FB, in answer to your last question, I don't remember exactly how much I drank before knowing of the pregnancy, but do know that I generally did get drunk several times a week back then. And as I said, my daughter is beautiful, very smart and healthy!

(so can we call you "Feeling Better" now??)
                        FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Hi again!

When they calculate the actual length of pregnancy they count back to the first day of your last period. That would be two weeks pregnant already by the time implantation happens. So if you were drunk in your 3rd week, the cells would be dividing at this point. It isn't until the 4th week of pregnancy when one misses their period. So if you found out you were pregnant by the 5th week and stopped drinking, then not a lot of harm could be done. Sure you can see the heart beating, but the brain is in it's very beginning stages of development. The heart is one of the things that start to develop first to provide the necessary circulation for oxygen and nutrients.

Rest assure you will be OK. Many, many, many women drink while not knowing and their babies are just fine!

Comment

Oh my goodness, you all have made my weekend MUCH better. :l Yes, I think I can switch my name to Feeling Better now!

Accountable For Me, I have a quick question. I found out I was pregnant on 10/19 and went to the Doctor that day. He thought I conceived 3 weeks prior which made me 5 weeks/2 days along. If he was off by a few days, I could have been nearly 4 weeks along which would have made me 6 weeks instead. My periods are irregular, so I have to go by the size of ultrasound pic. Seeing the heartbeat means I was at least this far along. I am concerned I am further along then he thought and therefore missed the still safe time. Oh well...I go back in 2 weeks for another check. Who would have thought seeing the heartbeat would be less then wonderful! All I could think about was all that freakin' chardonnay I drink. What a wake up call. Women dream for this moment and it's dampened by this. Ok, enough crying. Ugh! Side note. All week I've surfed the net and have seen nothing but doom and gloom. Don't go to March of Dimes or NOFAS for reassurance!

Anyway, I started bumping around the rest of this site and I fit right in! While I won't be drinking for the next 9 months, I do know I will be tempted to hit that chardonnay hard as soon as I give birth. I am hoping to spend this time readjusting things. I think I fit the "moderate drinker on the Weekends/occasional Thursday co-worker happy hour style. That feels doable.

I read on one of the boards about a woman that cooks and drinks wine (LBJ I think) and many on there are just like me. I definitely hide the binge part of my drinking from everyone and I am a happy hour person. 5 - 7 PM are my weak times. Once I get to 7, I could care less about a drink. It's so nice to see others just like me.

I have bookmarked this site and will be here from time to time, but once I'm done being pregnant, I will be back in full force as I'm sure I'll need you guys to help me transition back into the World of temptation.

Comment

Same story for me both pregnancies. Your baby will be fine. Enjoy your pregnancy!!
                              "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Working...
                              X