Newbie here and think I may need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi..havebeen looking at this site for some time now but have just found the courage to join and post.Im not sure what to write or ask atm so forgive my rambling if be the case. I have been a moderate to heavy drinker at times over the last 15 years. I only drink beer now instead of the whole mixing drinks what everyone else drinks scene. Im on disability pension due to a wrok injury nearly 9 years ago now and have been on Anti depressants and painkillers for that duration as well. Over the last 4 years my drinking has gotten worse.
    On Friday night I was having my usual beers with some friends but I was down as well..I ended up sharing a bottle of Mezcal Tequila and woke the next morning in a hospital bed with a drip. I have never gone this far before..admittedley I hadnt eaten since 7am that morning and started drinking at 3pm..11.30pm they rang an ambulance as I couldnt stay awake. I recollect alot of that night but nothing about ambulance etc.
    Am I headed for a complete breakdown or a point of no return in my drinking habits..did I sub consciuosly decide to "go" the whole hog?
    I have apologised to my friends and Thanked them as well for looking after me but I feel like a fool..totally emabarassed and guilty of what happened..
    Anyway I would appreciate any advice ,help,opinions..none could be any harsher than what I have given myself.
    Thanks

i would problary go and say that you actually drank more than just that bottle after the point you couldnt remember anything. Even if you drank a entire bottle over the period of the 9 hours you shouldnt have been in that bad of shape. good luck. Stay sober. that must be the most scary thing ever waking up in a hospital not knowing what happened. that would be enough to quit alone.

Comment

I actually shared the bottle..didnt drink the whole bottle by myself and as I stated before Id already been drinking my usual beers. As for I shouldnt have been in that bad of shape I guess alcohol affects ppl in many ways..I hadnt eaten since 7 that morning..out in the sun and hadnt had spirits for over 3 years..But anyway..thanks for ur advice Trail..oh and the welcome

Comment

Hi Gayaries .... Welcome!

It really doesn't matter how much you drank .... what matters is that you're not happy about it. That's why we're all here.

Whether you feel you need to stop completely or cut down drastically, here is a good place to get help. I'd suggest you download the book and see what options are available to you. A lot of people here have stopped drinking completely, others have cut down. Some use meds, others use hypno tapes and/or supplements. Some are just starting out, just like you.

I reckon spend some time reading a lot of posts. You'll get a "feel" for the place and some of the incredible folk who all understand what you're going through. Quite a few Aussies too.

Hope to see you around.

Comment

Thankyou so much Tawny!!! I feel a bit better after ur reply. Sorry if my previous sounded like a retaliation..in a way I think it was as I have read alot of posts and just didnt feel support and more judgement than anything. Thanks again!

Comment

No worries! And don't be upset if you don't get a lot of replies straight away - most of the members are in the US and probably having a snooze by now.

Catch you.

Comment

Hi GayAries,
              Welcome.....sounds like you are really ready to stop drinking. You know, it really doesn't matter what type of alcohol we choose to drink, beer, wine, spirits......to those of us that are incapable of controlling when, how and how much, all alcohol is deadly to us.

I encourage you to stick around and read the post's of those that have been hear a while. Those that have had success with becoming non-drinkers or are able to truly moderate their drinking.

I also encourage you to read the book, My Way Out. You will gain a lot of insight into ways that might assist you in getting this under control. Whether that is quitting all together or truly moderating.

I wish you much success and happiness.
              KateH
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Welcome to another Aussie

Hi ya gayaries, :welcome:
                Stay on this site and keep reading, booze can be an awful trap, this may be a much needed wake up call, maybe a good time to give it a rest. Will PM you my wake up call so please don?t feel judged. See ya around
                Victory

Comment

:welcome:
                  Hi there GA. I am not asleep tawny, I am going to be tired tomorrow, but I am awake now. GA, I understand how you feel. Really if you think you have a problem, you probably do; but you are the best person to make that decision. Hospitalization for alcohol poisoning is a terrible thing and it along with the drugs you are taking is quite capable of putting you there. Alcohol is a depressant and it accentuates the bad feelings you are trying to treat with your Rx. It very well may make it impossible for your prescribed drugs to work. I agree with Tawny, get the book. Read all you can on the boards, and commit to whatever it is you want to accomplish. Sounds simple, but it is not easy without the help you can get here from some of the best people I ?know?.

God Bless
                  :huggy
                  bear
                  What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
                  ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Hi GayAries :welcome:

Welcome and sorry about the slightly judgemental first post - hey Trailbracken shame on you!! You probably didn't mean it to come out like that though. It's tough to post on here the first time and everyone gets affected in different ways by different amounts of alcohol.

You've done exactly the right thing GA, introducing yourself and your scary experience. I'd say, whatever your reasons for drinking like you did, that you feel that getting a handle on it now would be a really good idea. I'm sure you know, from reading here, that you can get a whole load of support and ideas and help. Lots of others have been/are on ant depressents and other sorts of meds so there is some very relevant advice out here too.

Keep posting. Keep reading.

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Bessie xx

Comment

I covet your horse Bessie

Comment

Thanks Dolly. He doesn't always look so mad! Just the way the photo turned out!

Comment

A very warm welcome to you GayAries

I never ended up in the hospital but certainly hit rock bottom and was dangerously sick from alcohol. That was years ago and I have been sober for quite a while - just to say there is a way out of this.

If you stick with us and this program you can find your way out. We are all here to help you and we really want to help.

Start by downloading the book My Way Out by Roberta Jewell. You can download it from this website and it explains the whole program. Keep reading on this website - there is tons in information on here. And please keep posting and keep in touch with us.

:welcome:
                            Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

GayAries,

A big :welcome: from me, too.

Glad you are here.

Can't add much to the advice but I am so glad your friends took good care of you. You are lucky to have them.

Read the research and the book. Decide what you want to do and go for it.

We will all be here for you.

Cindi

ps, Since I had gastric bypass, I can relate to much less doing much more.

I am sure your meds are not meant to be taken with alcohol. Please take care.
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X