newbie....please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie....please help

:new: Hi everyone... just found this website... Looing for some advice on how to even start! Its been forever since Ive gone more than a day or so without at least one drink. I usually dont drink and get wasted but geez, everyday is stressful (like everyone else) and when the day is done I want to relax and grab a dring. I also have anxiety so take xanax. Yeah , I know thats a horrible drug and intend on getting off that too but trying not to overwhelm myself. Alcohol first. Im going to do the research re supplements. Is there a way to get topomax without rx? I cannot have that rx on record. I am in the medical field Please, any suggestion would be great. Ive got 2 beautiful kids and they deserve much more of me. Just dumped my boyfriend of 4 yrs so big changes everywhere. oooommmmhhhhhhh....:thanks:

newbie....please help

Welcome Notcarmen! In a short while you will be hearing from MWO'ers who can offer you great advice on how to get started with the program. Although I ordered the Book, CD's and Supplements I wasn't consistent with following the regimen. However, I do have one suggestion. Topamax is also used to treat migraines. If you are hesitant in getting an RX, maybe you can use "getting migraines" as an excuse and have one of the doc's write you up a perscription. Sorry to hear about the dumping of the boyfriend. You had good reasons to make that decision so don't doubt yourself or beat yourself up over it. -Reenie
    September 23, 2011

Comment

newbie....please help

Notcarmen.... I haven't done the Topomax, but you can find a link for River Pharmacy and they sell it over the internet (they are out of India)....

Welcome. You'll find great advice here~ there are people at all stages of sobriety, and we're all a virtual family. We'll offer as much help as you ask for, and you're right- our kids deserve to have their Moms or Dads.

Patty
      Tampa, FL

Comment

newbie....please help

Hi notcarmen and welcome! You've found a great place. Spend some time getting to know the site...in addition to the main website, the community of forums provides a great deal of information and support. I'm not sure about the prescription-free Topa, but I'm doing pretty well on the supplements...especially kudzu, L-glutamine and gaba.
        ~K.

Comment

newbie....please help

N....
          Have you read the "No way Out" Booklet ? Check it out. It will help you with Vitamin supps. that will help you get off of dependency with the sprits. Then hang around here for moral support. We are all types here...some of us are nice some of us are crazy,,,,,,but we all mean well. We'll try to help you handle this problem....IAD:welcome:
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

newbie....please help

ok. Im gonna get the booklet.. Has anyone taken the supplements and had success with the urge? Ive got Kudzu and havent yet found it to stop me... but I need to be mmore consistent I think. Ill get ALL the supplements if someone thinks it might do the trick. I feel kinda weak looking for supplement and not just sayign IM GONNA DO THIS!!!!! But at least ive found you all. Im gonna stay.. so Good to meet you and well be talking!!!!

Comment

newbie....please help

Re: kudzu -- while everyone's different, it usually does take a little time for it to build up in your system to be effective. You're right about the need for consistency. You may also have to experiment to see what dosage/frequency work best for you. And you're not weak. In fact, you're strong for making this decision!
              ~K.

Comment

newbie....please help

Hi Not Carmen,
                I have found the supplements and the CD's to be very helpful, as well as the book. I ordered the Topa from Riverpharmacy online as I didn't want to deal with getting a prescription for professional reputation reasons as well.

While I'm not Alcohol Free, I've reduced my consumption radically. I started the Topa, and then stopped when I got the flu. I'm planning on starting it again tomorrow. You can read more on the forum about the meds here.

The fact that you/we are taking steps in the right direction is important. This site is fantastic as people support each other not matter what their personal goals are. I come here every day for inspiration, and read a lot more than I post...I think you should read as much as you can...then formulate the plan that will work for you!
                Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles (Helen Keller)

Comment

newbie....please help

I have taken supplements, from another place and found that they do work. They repair your body, reduce the cravings, etc. But I have had a recent long binger and I didn't eat, take supplements, exercise, I just drank. Smart of me eh? The beast was driving me down. Flat on my face but I think I'm on my knees now thanks to hubby and MWO friends and my inner strength. But I have a long way to go. Get them. Take them. Eat well. Drink healthy beverages (hee - that's a CD reference) and I recommend the CDs. I sleep so much better with them. Read the book. I'm sort of new too. I think you are on a good path. Stay on it.
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

newbie....please help

Hello Notcarmen,

Welcome. I am big on the supps. I started them (starter kit) on 2/5 and have been af since. I haven't had any cravings either, and I was drinking 2 bottles of wine a day (sometimes more). Everyone's system is different, so I can only speak for myself. I think most of us are probably deficient in the vitamin department, due to the toll that AL takes. It depletes your system. I attribute the success I am having largely to the supps. I also ordered the topamax from the River Pharmacy link, but haven't felt the need to take it yet. I would also recommend reading the book "My Way Out". It is very eye opening. It recommends that if you are wanting to moderate, to first go AL free for 30 days. That is what I am shooting for. I will cross the moderation bridge at that time.

Good Luck.

Miso

Comment

newbie....please help

hi there..notcarmen.. i would just like to welcome you .
                      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

newbie....please help

Hey you...I am messed up too, please don't feel alone here. Only been here a week or so but have found so much support, advice and direction. We're all the same, no judgements here. Speak your mind, we get it. Stick around, you'll feel at home.
                        Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. ~M. Kathleen Casey

Comment

newbie....please help

Notcarmen, welcome! I think the best way to start is to lay out a plan to avoid your triggers. If you can't avoid them (stress at work, etc) you need to figure out a new way to deal with the issues. I found that I had a lot more triggers then I realized but it was just easy for me to label them all under "stress". It made a more legitimate excuse for me to drink. But by learning what your triggers are, you can easily adapt to new ways of arming yourself against alcohol. My caffiene intake was causing anxiety, which led to stress. The problem wasn't always stress, sometime it was just too much caffiene that day. Figuring out your triggers is half the battle if you ask me.

I don't mean to make it sound so easy, because I know it's not. Just want you to really be aware of what makes you want to drink. You might find that work isn't really stressful every single day. But drinking after a stressful day just turn into a habit. I hope that makes sense.

Good luck. I wish you the best. We are here for you.

Love, Me
                          :l
                          Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

newbie....please help

Maybe you could get Topamax by saying you want to try it for your migraines?

Good Luck and Welcome!
                            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                            - George Jackson

Comment

newbie....please help

Hi notcarmen

Welcome to this site.
                              As everyone else is saying, you've found a great place and you will get all the support you need here. We're all in the same boat just with different reasons.
                              I did my first 30 days alcohol free (AF) in Novemeber. I wouldn't have done it without this site and the help you get here. Had two bad months after that though, which we all go through i guess, but on day 1AF again now. I keep coming back and reading the posts and getting inspiration from people here..
                              As for the supplements, you're supposeed to take them for about 6 weeks whilst you're having your 30 days AF, which is very much recommended. The supplements are helping your body and your organs, escpecially your liver, to repair the damage you might have done to it with exessive drinking. I didn't get any withdrawl symptoms with my 30days AF, and i think the supplements did help. You're supposed to start them about a week before you ditch the drink. However, i never did go on Topamax. I found that the support here was wonderful and it helped me through it.
                              How about getting the book, reading it, then setting yourself a date and get people to join you here. It really makes a difference when you know you're not in it on your own..
                              Just a thought.
                              Good luck to you regardless.
                              Best wishes,:welcome:
                              Finski

Comment

Working...
                              X