Friendship..and more...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friendship..and more...

I don't know why I feel compelled to write this thread, but I do...so...here it goes.

One of my major life issues had been a dearth of girlfriends. Let me explain. Girlfriends for me have always been like family. My lifeline of sorts. Interestingly, I never really had close friends that had issues with addiction (that I know of), so I never did share that, but having friends was of major importance to me. I am a fairly outgoing person, and never had too much of a problem finding at least 2 or 3 very close friends at ever juncture in life, plus lots of aquantances. I don't think I have lost friends due to drinking...actually, I am sure I haven't. Life circumstance has led to to a place where I just don't have the friends I used to. And, I am lonely for it.

The support here is amazing, but I miss having long phone calls, coffee, lunch. or just shopping with a good friend.

I feel like I need to talk with someone about issues...whatever they may be. I can't go to therapy. Really I can't. I am completely pro-therapy...I am a psychologist for christsake, but it is an issue for me. I am president of our local chapter of the my state's Psychological Association. As such, I know pretty much all the local people, and they certainly know me, if just by name. I just can't go to a collegue and discuss this personal stuff. Just as you all would not want to discuss this kind of stuff with people you work with. Just doesn't work, so I am stuck.

I don't want to sound down. I have made strides. I am drinking less, quit smoking, working out...that is all good. But I do think to really get healthy I have to deal with my personal demons... and don't know where/how to go about this.

I am like the shoemaker whose kids have no shoes!! I am the psychologist who does not know where to go to deal with her own issues...

This may not be the place to be saying all this..but it is the only place I have, so...

Thanks for listening.

Beth
    formerly known as bak310

Friendship..and more...

awwww Beth....

I totally understand. After our major move two years ago, I am still trying to put roots down in a new place. It's hard. I think also because you are working your own business from home, it doesnt afford you the opportunities to be mingling with people in a normal work environment, work lunches, etc. I can relate to that to after being self-employed for so long.

Maybe you could figure out some fun and creative ways to meet some new friends with similar interests? I know my city has meetup groups for just about anything you can imagine... dinner meetups where they try a new restaurant each time, people who love to cook meetup in homes and have fun cooking, they have exercise related stuff... you should check and see if you have it in your area as well. I signed up for the dinner meetup but, so far I've had schedule conflicts. Just a thought.

BUT HEY... you met me, right?? But I understand... you need friends close by.

Love ya friend...
    :l
    If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Friendship..and more...

:l Hey Beth,
      Ever think about signing up for a 10 k or half marathon clinic? you might meet some good buds there and get your workoutin at the same time.:H

Comment

Friendship..and more...

Love ya Allie.

10 K!!!!! Geez, let's not get overzelous here LOL
        formerly known as bak310

Comment

Friendship..and more...

Hey Lucy/Beth: I can SO relate. i'm really not outgoing at all so it's hard meeting people. I'm not a mom, so don't have those kind of friendships. I work in a teeny place. Yes, it's hard.
          :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Friendship..and more...

O.K., Beth...start out with a 5K.......

Don

Comment

Friendship..and more...

Beth,

I'm with the runners. 5k, 10k, benefit walk. My closest friends are the ones I run with. Good luck and you might surprise yourself.

July

Comment

Friendship..and more...

Community centers have lots of programs. I'm going to doggie training school tuesday and they said don't drink beforehand. Well.. There's a hurdle or a godsend. And, don't imbibe before training your dog at home either. OK, BGP on. Really, they have lots of different things to do, to learn. Some craft stores have classes. Find what you are interested in and there will be roomfull of people with a common interest. It will work out
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Friendship..and more...

Hi Beth,
                  I completely understand where you are coming from. I love this board, and all our friends here, but it is so nice to be able to meet for lunch or dinner, coffee or just a nice long walk. I know how special my recent day with WW and Mags were for me. We already had such a close bond. No secrets there........the dirtly laundry had already been put in full view!! I have also enjoyed some terrific phone conversations, with you and Bootsie and a couple of others.

Here is an idea, I am reading A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle and I have signed up for the webinar on Oprah.com. I think this will be a very interesting journey to further exploring myself and learning to grow in a positive direction! I am very excited about this!

Beth, you are a remarkable woman, I know you will beat AL......I do recomend doing the 30 day thing. If I can do it, you can do it! It is amazing the difference 30 days makes!

Hugs, my friend XXXXX
                  Love,
                  KateH
                  A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Friendship..and more...

Kate-

WOWOWOW 30 days!!!

I am sooo proud of you!!

Beth
                    formerly known as bak310

Comment

Friendship..and more...

Hey Beth. I find it hard to believe you don't have close friends. You are one of the warmest, sweetest, people I know. If you don't have friends now, it must be due to your not having opportunities. As others have suggested, going out and DOING things will help that. Wherever I see you on chat I'm pleased. :l

Comment

Friendship..and more...

Beth, you rock! get out there and meet some nice people. If you ever visit Reno you know who to call ok?
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                        X