pls give new people the benefit of the doubt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been on MWO for a few weeks. When I first logged on, I admit I lurked for a little bit trying to figure out if the site was for me. One day I wandered in to the chat room and more or less got dragged kicking and screaming into the conversation by some very friendly people who seemed to care and understand. Like many people, it was/is a hard and fragile time admitting I have a problem with alcohol and opening up about it with others. But I did thanks to this site. For a short time, the chat room became my support group and AA meeting all in one. Then, 4 or 5 days ago, I logged into a relatively crowded chat room with a lot of senior members who all seemed to know each other. I think there were a few newbies like myself there too. Then out of nowhere one of the senior members questioned whether I was real and why I was on the site. I guess they thought I was a liar and a phony. I felt like I had been suckerpunched. I think that many of you can understand that it can be hard to face up to an alcohol problem, and maybe not the easiest to open up to other people about it, even if it is online. So maybe you can understand how it felt to have someone question your honesty about yourself and your problem. I guess my reaction was, ?I don?t need this s#&t? and I haven?t joined in a chat since. I poked my nose back in last night, but bugged out right away. I guess the last thing I need at this point is to have my honesty about a difficult time questioned again. I guess I just wanted to say that maybe if you are in the chat room and you are not sure about someone, maybe you could give them the benefit of the doubt. I am sure their true colors will show in time?

As Forrest Gump said, ?That?s all I have to say about that??

Rx

syrrx, someone called me a AFRICAN LIAR here and so it does not suprise me to find a few of that kind here. and that almost made me relapse but thanks to soo many friend who stood by my side and now am still sobe. syrrx you believe in yourself and dont let someone pull you down, you dont have to make anyone to believe in you, its up to him/her. the bottom line is you will find such wonderfull people here and you will get help. BELIEVE AND TRUST IN YOURSELF.

Comment

I am really sorry you felt that way. I would say that most "senior" members are really great people and would help you in a heartbeat; do not feel discourged. Hang with this site and you will get great advice and encouragement!!!!!!!!!!
      Goal 1: Today
      Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Sally1949

:new: Don't let the sceptic folk get you down. Hang in there. This is my first contact o hope someone contacts me.
        Best of luck!!!
        Cheers, Sally

Comment

Maasai, I am so sorry someone said something so horrible to you!!! But you are right, we must believe in ourselves, this is what matters----not what others say.

Comment

Sally, you rock the casbah

Comment

Sally1949

lukalee33;287311 wrote: I am really sorry you felt that way. I would say that most "senior" members are really great people and would help you in a heartbeat; do not feel discourged. Hang with this site and you will get great advice and encouragement!!!!!!!!!!
              Hello Lukalee33, You sound so nice & caring. I am hoping to make contact with some nice ppl. I have only just joined today.
              Best wishes Sally

Comment

Sally

lukalee33;287314 wrote: Sally, you rock the casbah
                Wow! I got a reply...thank you soo much.
                I am starting a programe of not drinking, & being healthy, so perhaps my family will respect me again, If I am lucky.
                Thanks

Comment

sally welcome here its of great help and you will learn alot too

Comment

I don't really ever hang in chat, it is too fast for me : )
                    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                    - George Jackson

Comment

syrrxman, most people here are very supportive and welcoming. I think there were 1 or 2 instances where someone logged on just to sell something so maybe that is where that was coming from, but you are right, first we should give the benefit of the doubt.

Welcome to you and to Sally! :welcome: Stick around! You will make friends and find the support you need to help you along.
                      The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

RX~

I am really sorry that happened. I have never been in chat where I have heard someone belittled like that. For the most part all the members, Senior or otherwise, are very supportive and caring. We ALL remember what it is like, or we should anyway.

Maasai - I am sorry that happend to you, too! I feel like I want to be the Chat Police! Geeze!

Please don't let this detour you. Go back to chat and keep posting. This is a good place because of people like you guys.

Sally - WELCOME! Glad you are here, too. Post so we can get to know you..

Take care, everyone!

MM
                        Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

RX,

I admire your committment to this place AND your battle. That took some guts to come on and post this. You are absolutely right...there is nothing like a swat from an old timer to derail a newbie. How are things going with you, anyway? Did you decide to start the Topa?
                          "We all have a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be." Jane Austen

Comment

Rx and Maasai, sometimes being a "Senior" member only means you post a LOT! Not necessarily being wiser. And MM I feel like you too.....makes me want to be the Chat Police too!

Hi Sally! Welcome!
                            Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

meditation mama;287382 wrote: RX~

I am really sorry that happened. I have never been in chat where I have heard someone belittled like that. For the most part all the members, Senior or otherwise, are very supportive and caring. We ALL remember what it is like, or we should anyway.

Maasai - I am sorry that happend to you, too! I feel like I want to be the Chat Police! Geeze!

Please don't let this detour you. Go back to chat and keep posting. This is a good place because of people like you guys.

Sally - WELCOME! Glad you are here, too. Post so we can get to know you..

Take care, everyone!

MM
                              Ditto MM, Welcome Sy and Sally, I am so sorry that this has happened, most of us are very nice people ........ :welcome:
                              sigpicXXX

Comment

Working...
                              X