Don't you see this is all wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, I'm posting here and letting you all know that I have had something to drink tonight. I'm not really drunk by any standard, since I haven't had that much to drink, but I can definitely feel it (although I still have perfect grammar in these forums do I not?). I have only been drunk 4 or 5 times in my life. Getting drunk is your choice!!! It's not a mental illness! A mental illness is depression, or some other imbalance in your mind. I've never thought of alcohol addiction as a mental illness. It's just your choice. I only had a little to drink because I'm watching Frasier and it's so much funnier... I'm almost at the end of the show (season 10 out of 11) and if I watch it with a little alcohol I won't remember it the next day and I can watch it again... Anyways, I just thought I'd let you know you have the choice! Take it!

java

any compulsive addiction is a mental illness. I suggest you do your homework on the subject before you vent on here,where people are supporting each other! I wonder about your need to drink to make Frasier funnier ,perhaps you should start watching something else, like er and then you will have no need to touch a drop again!!

Comment

I'm sitting on my fingers here ................
      sigpicXXX

Comment

HeeHeeHee!! I have been all morning Betty Boop!!

Comment

First off, I apologize... it's only my opinion that people have the choice over whether or not they drink... I know I do... and furthermore... Frasier is definitely funnier the second time around! I'll leave these boards and never come back...

Comment

see ya!

Comment

perhaps you could log on to `over opinionated anonymous` instead!

Comment

If you had any real understanding of addiction you would know choice doesnt come in to it. You are lucky - You can take a drink and know when to stop. We on the other hand cannot. If an alcoholic takes a drink, then that choice is removed. Alcoholism is an illness of the mind.. you are not an alcoholic and consequently have no need to be here anyway.
                Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy

Comment

Java,
                  Welcome, if you come back to read this.... :welcome:
                  I don't mean to sound malicious, and I don't think that you meant to either.
                  I CAN understand why your post would offend some people here. If you walked into a smoky bar, stood on a bar stool, sounded a blow horn to quiet the room and then announced,
                  "Attention, everybody.... smoking is NOT a mental illness. You have a choice. Put down your cigarettes and leave now...."

Would people welcome you there? Would you question your own sanity? Well, that's the same thing that you just did here. People don't choose addiction. Mental. Brain. Illness. Sick. Yes, it's true. Alcohol can lead to mental illness. Alcohol can get your brain sick, Java... that is a fact.

In fact, you may want to think about your alcohol habits, because you are more like "us" than you give yourself credit for:

...if I watch it [Frasier] with a little alcohol I won't remember it the next day and I can watch it again...

Not remembering is a common effect of too much alcohol for your brain, so if this is
                  happening to you, think twice about your alcohol habits, Java. Sadly, I have many experiences with "not remembering" , and I blamed my behavior on the beer glass too. It's a magic eraser, isn't it? However, that excuse got really old, and people who love me didn't want to hear it anymore.

My Way Out is a wonderful place to start, where you look in the mirror and take assessment of your drinking. Not only how it impacts your health, but how it hurts those who love you. It's about personal responsiblility.

That is why we are here. To make ourselves healthy. There is no pity party, nor is there mud-ball slinging.... however, you will find occasional snowballs, because we squabble like family, but in the end, we'll share a hot cocoa around the fireplace and make nice.

Have a great day. You are welcome here, as long as you leave the mud at home. :heart:
                  We are a pretty forgiving bunch, you'll see. You wanted to be heard... perhaps you are lonely, watching Frasier alone in the middle of the night, sipping on a magical eraser potion? Well, we listened.

Patty.

Patty
                  Tampa, FL

Comment

I agree--wholeheartedly---with Not Happy Hour-Happy Life's response.
                    A very well thought out and reasoned answer.
                    Stay Strong!
                    BHOG
                    War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

Hi Java,

If you remember joining this site when you wake up, maybe you'd like to come back and discuss your own drinking. Would you like to cut down or give up?
                      sigpic
                      AF since December 22nd 2008
                      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Java,

Like NHHHL, I welcome you. Seldom do people find this site who do not have a concern about their drinking.

I also agree, drinking is a choice. We are choosing to either quit or reduce our drinking to acceptable levels. Everyone here.

I disagree that it is not an illness, your very definition of mental illness is an imbalance in the brain. It happens to turn out from many scientific studies, MRIs, etc, that alcoholics do have a chemical imbalance in their brains. Hence, we have an illness, whether we were born with it, caused it by choosing to drink too much, or have a propensity due to genetics is still up in the air.

However, all of us here are choosing to make the right choice and get a handle on our drinking despite the illness.

If you find you cannot watch Frasier without a few beers to make it more enjoyable and that becomes a concern, you are welcome to join us here and see if you, too, can choose to deal with it.

:welcome:
                        Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Wow Cindi!

I applaud your grace. You are right. We should extend a welcome, even when people come who seem to be in denial and are critical.

I am always very skeptical of anyone who says, "I am not - anything". Wasn't it Nixon that said, "I am not a crook!"? When I have been drinking, I tell my husband, "I haven't been drinking!". :yeahright:

Perhaps by the grace of something greater than we are, this person found MWO. Let's hope so!

:h Best
                          "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

When I first started reading this, I was a little pissed off. But as I was going through it I realized what a sad cry for help this really was.
                            Goal 1: Today
                            Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

I agree it is a choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X