Evening primrose oil and Magnesium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How important to the regiment is the EPO and Magnesium? I am out of EPO; RJ's original plan has you winding off the supps after 6 wks or so. I've been taking them for about 5-6 weeks but was not totally AF for the 1st 4. I'm also out of Kudzu. I am still taking Topa but reconsidering that as well. Just really considering costs and side effects (of the topa). I have plenty of magnesium and that seems to be somewhat important, but I'm wondering if I should take more than the recommended 200 mg if it will help with stress/anxiety.

I think they are both important and I would not stop either. The EPO is good for your skin and hair and liver and for PMS... and more. I would never stop taking that. I think you are supposed to take it with zinc for better effectiveness.

You should not cut down the magnesium. I think for recovering alcoholics this is very important. It takes a long time for your body to be able to absorb a lot of the vites and minerals, especially magnesium and B vites. I think you should take at least 400mg (I take 600mg at night, together with calcium-- cal-mag 2:1). Yes, it helps with stress/anxiety. You can take it in the morning, too.

In general, I don't think you should ever cut out supplements, although it's probably ok to cut down a bit.

There is a big difference in different kinds and brands of supplements. Some of the better, and often more expensive, brands and forms can be worth it as you body absorbs them better, so you actually need less of them.

Every time I have slacked on the supplements, I have ended up slipping back into AL. I really do believe supps are more than important for healing-- they are also an important preventive.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I just bought EPO at 1000 mg per softgel, which will make it difficult to take the 1300 mg dosage per MWO recommendations. I could take more or less -- how much do you take?
      I was not planning to cut down the magnesium but rather to increase it. (The original MWO had you taking more than the revised anyway.) I am currently taking 200 mg in the afternoon but will most likely increase that.

The store I bought them at is a specialty foods store that specializes in private label and organics at very reasonable prices. I bought my prenatal vitamins there and their products are high quality. thanks for your quick feedback.

Comment

Mg rules!!

I will officially admit that I am a magnesium evangelist. A mineral fundamentalist and a raving proselytizer for magnesium, calcium and trace minerals. You can add more Mg without having the runs or upset tummy by getting liquid or oil of magnesium and rubbing it into your skin. Along with Ca, which I also take as a liquid, keeps heart happy, brain working and mind soothed. It's good for your skin, and, if you can, using it instead of toothpaste actually remineralizes tooth enamel. It's the first thing I reach for, and I've stretched out my hand often, to recover from a binge. I :h magnesium!

Comment

Thanks for that gelgit. I love magnesium, too, but didn't know all that about it, especially the toothpaste part.

CS04, I recommend you take one 1,000mg soft gel with every meal. It is good for your organs and digestion, too. It's also supposed to be good for your mood. (Is there anything it's not good for?)
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Beatle and Gelgit, thanks for such great info. I will defintely increase both the EPO (I got a big bottle!) and the Mg. I know it's not "holistic" but I just started on ADs -- we'll see how that works -- and I'm pretty sure I'm going to discontinue the topa.

There's a book by Jonny Bowden called The Most Effective Natueal Cures On Earth, and he has a section of "desert island" supps, and I think magnesium is one of them, since it does so many good things. Who knew?

Comment

Beatle,
              if you have any thoughts on milk thistle or any other helpful supplements, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Milk thistle-- a big fat yes. Absolutely. It is clinically documented (in multiple reputable studies) to be a liver healer. Anybody who drinks at all should take it and we who have done more than our fair share of drinking need it that much more.

But not all brands are equal. Be sure you get a good one--whatever that means... something like standardized 80% bla bla... also, dandelion root and artichoke together with the milk thistle is supposed to increase the effectiveness. The MWO stuff is good.

Determinator says lecithin is good for the liver. I'm starting on that now, too.

There is oh so much more. But definitely yes on the milk thistle. If you are concerned about your liver, this is the most important.

Comment

I am not "worried" about my liver, per se, but I am taking the milk thistle in the morning (300mg). Have not taken extra since not drinking. It does say 80% something on the bottle. We've eaten some dandelion greens in a couple meals recently (been meaning to post a recipe...)

Comment

If you have been drinking anything more than an occasional drink, you should be worried about your liver. Alcohol damages your liver, and even if your blood tests are "normal", anybody who has had a drinking problem has a damaged liver, at least to some degree. I suggest taking more milk thistle (3x day) for a few weeks, and then maybe down to 1-2 per day after that.

Dandelion greens are great-- not just for your liver. Please post that recipe. And any others you may have. I don't really know how to use them.

Comment

Working...
                    X