Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new, lost, need help

:new:

I decided yesterday that I can't just drink sometimes I have to stop entirely. But I got a lot of challenges around it (chronic pain, no job, other stuff).

I was excited to find this board, but I'm overwhelmed by all the posts and don't know where to begin, and I want to reach out, ask for some support, help, something.

I guess my biggest thing is I don't want to admit it's a problem - and living alone, honestly in my situation it's a helpful tool that I use under certain circumstances, but in my relationship I can't do that anymore.

Anyway, not sure what to ask for, but I feel rather alone right now, and overwhelmed, and sad, and lost, and I can't physically go to meetings.

Anything would be helpful - I don't know where or how to begin.

Well your not alone anymore, that's for sure. Welcome! You will love this place, everyone is very supportive and helpful and we are all in the same boat.

The place to start...is the book. Inexpensive and an easy read. It will help you inderstand how this all came about.

Good luck :l
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Hi Trillian and welcome:welcome:

We all know too well that lost feeling, but don't get overwhelmed by this place, get inspired. There is a huge amount of information here, just break it down into manageable chunks and you'll soon get the hang of it. Have a look at the Just Starting out forum and read up on the programme. Many others will follow me in welcoming you and hoping that you find what you are looking for here. It's not easy, God it's soooo not easy, but many have succeeded, I hope you can too.
      Best of luck:l
      Last

Comment

TT, glad that you are here.

I would recommend reading a lot. RJ's book is a great place to start, and these boards also contain a wealth of information. Just try to take it one day at a time right now. There is a lot to take in and it can be a bit overwhelming at times.
        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Hi Trillian,

Yes, a warm welcome to you. You have been given some excellent advice already and I cannot really add much except to say you are not alone, we all felt like that at one time or another. And we are here to offer any support that you need.
          Well done for taking that first tough step
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Thanks -

I tried looking at the book, but none of the links I tried work.

And I DEFINITELY know how I got here - years of abuse, isolation, years of physical pain, disability, no resources to help make life OK or better.

But now I'm in the same place but trying to cope without my coping mechanism. And, while intellectually I understand and my BF and I agreed to it, I still feel shame - and I wish I could just go for a run.

I want to cry, and I want a drink, but I have no privacy for the one, and I'm trying to not do the other.

Comment

:hello2::colorwelcome::wave::groupluv:
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Hello and Welcome Trillion
                It has all been said by the other members. You have taken the most important step. You can change your life. We are here to help. I hope u will stick around.
                "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

It does get easier TT, give it a little time, the shame and depression fade along with the cravings. Keep talking I find that helps. Have you had a look at the supplements? They help with craving and depression too? You can get the book from amazon fairly quickly. Feel free to pm me if you want to
                  Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                  Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

TT the book isn't free, you have to buy it. You can buy it here and download it as a pdf, or order it and get it as a regular book. One of the links here is to a store where you can buy stuff.

Welcome, look around, ask questions!

wip

Comment

The kudzu looked interesting - i have the root and was wondering if there was some way to work with that.

I've heard also that drinking fresh squeezed OJ can help with the desire for alcohol, so right now I'm drinking a OJ pineapple smoothie (the pineapple to help with my monthly cramping).

Oh, yeah, I figured I'd probably have to pay for the book, but all links come up "page not found".

Comment

Welcome

Hi TT

I hate to sound like a broken record....but you do need to read the book it is awsome. I'm a newbie too. Joined Mon and have been reading all the post I can. Everyone is so positive, I just want to write to each and every one. (It's amazing that we are all in the same boat, I always thought it was just me.) If I could I would be on this computer 24/7.

It's a little hard to get use to but you'll get the hang of it. If I can anyone can.

Good Luck

Comment

I'm sure I can - and all these friendly words are helping - it's just my brain isn't working right and I can't focus well.

There's so many posts, so many words, it's hard to know where to begin.

I DO plan to get the book - but I need to get a link to work (and find a way to buy it without a credit card or check card).

Comment

Hi there TT, very glad to have you on board

As has been said, you've made that first vital step - GOOD for you!
                            There is hope here by the bucket load. And honesty. And support.
                            Everybody here undestands you.
                            Take what you need. Ask questions. Share. Give it time with the threads - you'll find your preferred place/s

Gold
                            :sun:

Comment

HI TT,
                              Welcome, I won't say anymore to overwhelm you just keep posting.
                              Help

Comment

Working...
                              X