last 10 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last 10 years

I've never written about this, but have been thinking about it quite a bit lately. I started drinking consistently 10 years ago. As far as excuses are concerned, my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I found during this period that alcohol took away the pain and put me to sleep. Unfortunately, the drinking turned into a 365 day a year problem consuming 2 to 3 bottles or more of wine a night. Every now and then I would switch my drink to whisky. I was separated from my wife for a few years, of which I attribute much of that to my binge drinking. My body has begun to deteriorate (infections, weight gain, anxiety, etc.). I have a very professional job and even my coworkers were seeing the signs (I'm a night drinker). I even dropped out of my graduate degree program because it's hard to study and pound the wine at the same time. I finally realized after all these years that the booze is killing me. Not sure why it triggered over the past few months, but I WILL RECOVER. Decided to turn this ship around a few days ago and today is day number one without all my wine! It will be difficult (understatement), but I have no choice and I will not fail. Peace and strength to all! :new:

last 10 years

good for you 10 years!!!

do you have support? have you read the book? supplements?

stick around and post alot and read alot...we are here and we understand.
    you can do it, especially with your attitude.

:welcome:

peace!

Comment

last 10 years

Wife is overseas, so I am alone...which I think is a good thing for this task to detox (others may disagree, but then again, I have no choice). I can't wait for the day to be back with her again and not need to drink a gallon of wine just to make it through my evening 'witching' hours. She will be proud. One step at a time..detox and then stabilize and keep in control for the long term.

Comment

last 10 years

if it's any consolation, today is my mom's b-day, she died in 2005 due to mets breast cancer to her liver, she was only 56...i understand about drinking to ease that pain.

Comment

last 10 years

It's difficult, I know...even today. Bless you...best thing we can do is enjoy the memories and celebrate the time we had.

Comment

Working...
          X