First Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Day

This is my first day of trying to quit drinking. Saw a doctor this morning, downed my first 2 Camprals, and hoping I can make it through the first day. I think I will be lurking here all day. I haven't told my husband though. Wonder how he is going to react when he finds out all the meds I'm on since I've been hiding how much I have been drinking.

Only 12.5 hours until tomorrow.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
    AF since May 6, 2010

First Day

Tulipe,

It takes a day one to make it to day two.

I see your mood is Scared. We all understand. It truly is scary to contemplate a life changed so much.

But, the life you are walking into is so much better.

Hope to see you on day two!

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

First Day

:welcome:Hi Tulipe

Welcome to a supportive place. This site is wonderful, there is lots of first hand knowledge, lots of tips, it's great to realise you are not alone and you are anonymous. But sometimes it helps to have more than that. I told my husband of my alcohol hopes, dreams and plans to make it happen. Far from being shocked he was pleased that I was taking action to change and has been very supportive. There have been a few occasions that my virtual friends here would not have been enough to stop me drinking but he knew how to talk me out of it.

So, although I know everyone's situation is different, consider confiding in him (embarassing though it is) as he could be the tool in your arsenal that makes all the difference! He may have a much better idea than you think of how much you drink. Often our nearest and dearest are very concerned but just don't know how to talk to us about it.

Keep Strong and you will feel much better by the end of the week! Take it ODAT -one day at a time!
      If alcohol made you happy I should be the happiest person alive! I'm not.

Comment

First Day

Hi Tulipe

Well done you have made the first very important move, I wish I had the courage to go and visit my doctor for some help - have you read the book that supports this website?

Sending you strength and best wishes

Comment

First Day

Hi, Tulipe and Welcome! You have made a good decision for yourself! It isn't easy to quit, but after a few days, you will feel so good, and proud of yourself!! It takes courage and strength to make a change sometimes, but it's worth the effort.
          :welcome:
          Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

First Day

Hi and welcome Tulipe,

I always thought I hid my drinking (well most of it) quite well from hubby, but he knew, he always knew just how much I had drunk.
            He has supported me 110% on my journey, maybe your hubby will too?

Wishing you all the best for day 1 -- stay close:-)
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

First Day

Tulipe, How are you doing so far today. I agree with everyone here that it may benefit to let him know what you are struggling with. Also we dont hide our drinking as well as we think we do. There is alot of information on this site about meds etc. Just look at the different threads.

Good luck!!!

Comment

First Day

Welcome Tulipe and I agree you certainly have found the right place. Even writing the first post for me here was nerve wrecking. You did it and are on your way to a healthier lifestyle.
                "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

First Day

Told him

Hi all and thank you for your posts. Well I told him, and as they say in the South bless his heart but he's saying the stupidest things! Like, 'now you can eat more chocolate.' and telling me to go to gym and have a really hard workout. What he does not understand is that this is like climbing a mountain - it is a singular task that requires full attention. Each minute is like putting one foot in front of another to reach the top.

I did warn him that tomorrow would probably be worse though.

So your comments are SOOOO helpful.
                  - Tulipe
                  Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                  AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

First Day

Argh, I get the same comments from Mr. Beaches. Now I can lose weight and work out more. Yeah I just remind him that I haven't seen him putting the old treadmill into overdrive either.

You are right it is an uphill battle and to focus on too much at once will not work. Today the focus is not drinking. The rest will come.

Good luck
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

First Day

Hi Tulipe.
                      The 'toolbox' thread! As 'One too many' suggested. Have you read it yet? It's in the 'monthly abstinence' forums. Lemon juice mixed with water, good for the liver.
                      Keep your mind on the big picture. Remember at all times WHY you are stopping this self abuse. Cause that's what it is. Keep busy, and distracted. Whatever it takes.
                      Best wishes...............G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

First Day

That is great that Mr Tulip is being supportive -- well kinda lol.
                        He does have a point tho, exercise releases happy endorphins that can really help on the journey to sobriety. So even a brisk walk will pep you up and it'll keep you too distracted to drink:-)
                        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

First Day

Well it's 5:40 in the evening, and still another 2 hours until Monsieur Tulip arrives. The kids are driving me nuts - for some reason while they are chewing their food the noise really annoys me. Must NOT take this out on them by being short. It is for them and I am quitting, and for myself too of course. I am nervous about hubby asking me all sorts of questions and I don't want to tell him all about it, not yet at least, because the humiliation I will feel will make it all worse and threaten my plan. Really don't feel like cooking tonight. Really don't want any questions. Really just want to get to take my little benzie, first one even, this evening so I can sleep. When I wake up will the nightmare be over? Obviously not. Will I wake up spaced out from the benzie? Will I be able to drive? Will I get to the gym? At least there only about 6 more hours until I can say I have been AF for one day. I have a bit of a headache. And what do I hear? "Mommy!" "Mommy" "Mommy" "Mommy" "Mommy". It never stops. They are good kids, but they take so much out of me. They are so NEEDY which is normal but I HATE being needed so much. Although you would think that as they are at school most of the day, I could handle 3 hours a day of time with them. What is my problem?
                          AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

First Day

Is it possible for you to have a hot bath or shower?
                            Stick the kids in front of the TV if you have to and call Mr Tulip and ask him to buy take-out for dinner.
                            BREATHE in and out through your nose -- you CAN do this.

Comment

First Day

Welcome, Tulipe!

I hope that the headache is somewhat abated... knowing that you WILL feel better soon is a big help I've found. Glad you told your husband. Mine knew, even though I thought I was hiding it so well from him. The first day I wrote him a note and said "Please don't say anything about this... I will want to talk about it sometime soon, but not right now. Just look at me, hug me, and say 'OK' and when I need to, I'll ask you to listen." And, bless him, that is exactly what he did. When I did my 30 day AF stint, he supported me by giving up his pipe and cigars for the month as well. That gave him a little insight into what it was like for me. Is it possible your husband has something he needs to give up?

You are in the best place for folks like us. Keep reading and posting, and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X