day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

day 1

With the help of my wife and my shrink, i finally realized that i have a problem with booze. I also realize that the only way i am going to beat this thing is with help from family and friends. Unfortunately almost all my friends drink, and i know that is going to be one of my biggest struggles. I have been reading this forum, and am filled with hope. My shrink prescribed me Campral, and i will be picking up that scrip tomorrow. I have the distinct feeling this will be one of the hardest things i have done. But i feel i have no choice, if i keep walking down this road i foresee nothing but paid and loss. normally i would be 4-6 beers deep and well on my way to a bad night's sleep. It has been so hard to admit to myself that i am a alcoholic. I think this site will help me recover.

day 1

:welcome:

Sounds like you already have a good start, in your wife and your doctor's support.

Have you downloaded or bought RJ's book? It has other stuff about supplements other than the Campral that can help you in the early days too, taking the edge off cravings, helping with the anxiety you will likely get, if you have any sleeping problems, etc. It really can help.

And coming here a lot, reading other people's stories, posting questions as you go, knowing that you are not doing this alone, all that helps too.

You can do this!

Comment

day 1

Welcome to the journey... This site will help a lot. Keep posting and learning about the beast...
      "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
      Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

day 1

You came to the right place and welcome to the journey.
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

day 1

Hi Soldier.

Like you, I don't know one single person who does not drink. It's a bit of an Olympic sport here in Australia. That for me originally was the hardest part. It's something you have to overcome. To be honest once you stop drinking, you may find the only thing you have in common with some people is having a drink.

I wish you luck with your quest.

Being sober is a pretty nice place to be.

Cheers

Brett.
          Alcohol Free Since July 1 2009.

My Sobriety Blog
          (From Then Till Now).

Comment

day 1

Hey Liver lover

I'm Aussie too and if u have a propensity 2 drink Ur cactus. At least U understand what I mean. Luv U mate. Keep sane. Like Barnsey
            Long Road
            Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission--
            Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

day 1

Hello Old soldier and welcome, you have found a great place here. I also suggest you download and read the book asap, it will help you to work out a plan which will hopefully suit your needs. Well done on taking the first important step, you will recieve plenty of support and advice here from people who have walked the same path.
              Keep safe
              KTAB
              Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

day 1

Welcome, Old Soldier.

I second what KTAB has said!

Good luck!
                I'll do whatever it takes
                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

day 1

Hi Old Soldier,
                  It takes a lot of strength to decide there's a problem and we have to fix it. I was very scared my first AF day too. I took Campral, and still take it. My md also gave me some benzos (a version of valium) to help with withdrawal. There is a withdrawal thread in the Need Help ASAP section you may find useful.
                  If you make it through the first 3 days, it gets better, a lot better.
                  Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                  AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

day 1

Hey Old Soldier - I'm on day 1 as well. A majority of my life has centered around the drink. Nevertheless, I have to change my ways. Good luck and hopefully we can both post tomorrow that we are on Day 2! Cheers. National
                    AF since July 8, 2009...

Comment

day 1

Hi Old soldier and :welcome: It is a good first step (albiet difficult) to admit to a problem but now you're on your way up! You will find much support here as you deal with all the theings that come up (I think we all had / have drinking friends) and you have the good fortune to have the support of your wife and shrink. Good luck and stick close!

I bumped the tool box thread for you. It's very helpful.
                      sigpic
                      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

day 1

Thanks for all the responses. Day 2 has been ok, slept like crap but i think that is part of it. My demons came out on the way home from work and i really had to fight hard not to stop and pick up some brews. you see i usually don't drink on Monday or Tuesday, and start on Wednesday and generally drink through the weekend. I used to use the non drinking days as evidence (in my mind) that i was not a alcoholic. i realize now it was just an excuse to drink more the other days of the week. Any how thanks again.

Comment

day 1

Hi Old Soldier,
                          We've got our own drinking culture over here in Scotland too and it's difficult to get away from, but I've found that looking at it from the outside is much better than being a part of it.
                          I drank solidly for many years thinking that's just the way I am, but I was wrong. It turned me into a morose, cynical, dark-hearted loser who couldn't see much point in waking up in the morning. Since quitting I've got back my self-respect and so much more.
                          It's scary, but not half as scary as the alternative, and with each success the fear evaporates and is replaced with a simple joy for life.
                          Stay strong Soldier.

Comment

Working...
                          X