30 Sugar Free Day's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 Sugar Free Day's

I've signed up for a SUGAR FREE August and I'm challenging you to join me.

If you are unsure as to WHY you should go SF, keep reading.

There are various ways in which sugar can be harmful to health, including:
    Disturbance of blood sugar levels
    - A rapid rise, which the pancreas reacts to by secreting more insulin, followed by a ?reactive hypoglycaemia? (low blood sugar)

Depletion of vitamins and minerals
    - The metabolism of sugar uses up various vitamins and minerals
    - Sugar increases loss of minerals (e.g. magnesium, calcium) in the urine
    - Sugar therefore acts as an ?anti-nutrient?

Impairment of normal immune function
    Increase in blood fat (triglyceride) levels
    Increase in uric acid levels
    Consumption of excessive calories
    Encouraging the growth of yeasts, such as Candida albicans

Many health problems are linked to excessive consumption of refined sugar, including:

Diabetes
    Atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, heart attack stroke
    Hyperactivity, anxiety, depression
    Gout
    Gallstones
    ?Candida?, thrush
    Hypoglycaemia
    Fatigue
    Obesity
    Some cancers
    Premature Ageing
    Recurrent infections

Whilst researching just how I was going to approach this SF beast I came across an interesting website 30 Sugar Free Days | OlsonND.com
    I've signed up and recieved the link with all the info I need to plan my meals.

Go on, I DARE YOU to join me
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

30 Sugar Free Day's

Hi DeeBee, I downloaded and read the free 30 Sugar Free Days book. It makes sense, and I'm convinced I need to do this, but in a way, it seems even more daunting than giving up the AL was (crazy, huh?). I'm thinking of trying a "taper" approach, i.e., giving up refined sugars for a month (there goes that evening cup of organic cocoa that replaced the AL every night! Arrghh.), and then trying the full-fledged diet the next month. Any thoughts?
    "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

no, not crazy at all!! I'm having the same thoughts Lilbit.
      I too was considering the "tapering" approach -- I firmly belive that although I do understand I'll go through withdrawals (just like any other addiction) I need to make this as comfortable as possible as I'm doing this as a lifestyle change so don't have any intention on eating sugar again after my 30 days.

Why don't we take it ODAT and see how we go.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

Hello Deebs, count me in! My sugar intake is ridiculous right now and I need to address the issue.

Here is to the Sugar Mod Squad!
        'Tis with our judgements as our watches, none go just alike, yet each believes his own - Alexander Pope

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

Yay Grimmers!!
          LOL The sugar mod squad!

So, spill. What's your plan?

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

OK, I am tempted....BUT I am terrified of giving up my sugar free chewing gum....I am sure thats on teh banned list isnt it?
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

Oh, right. Maybe I should share my plan with you all first.

My goal is to quit sugar in all its various forms for 30 days and beyond.
              I will also be AF for 30 days because as we all know AL is the biggest culprit of turning into useless sugar.
              The only suppliments I'll be taking is Adaptogen and Manna which will both help stabilise my blood sugar levels.
              I have also begun Baclofen to help with carb/AL cravings but intend on keeping the dose as low as possible.

I will definely need some happy endorphins to get me through all of this so once a week yoga and twice a week running should produce that.

I would love any suggestions or warnings about my plan.

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

startingover;679490 wrote: OK, I am tempted....BUT I am terrified of giving up my sugar free chewing gum....I am sure thats on teh banned list isnt it?
                It's a serious offender!!

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

Well I ashamedly confess to not having a plan at present but am willing to work on remedying this. I do find the thought rather daunting but hey, I have kicked AL's butt and can do the same with Mr. Hullett!
                  'Tis with our judgements as our watches, none go just alike, yet each believes his own - Alexander Pope

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

DeeBee;679492 wrote: It's a serious offender!!
                    OMG.....what about fruit?

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

Grimmers -- have a look at the website I gave the link to -- it really helped me to formulate a plan and the short book that you download is packed with sound advice on what you CAN eat and what you CAN'T eat.

I am so ready to kick :b&d:Mr H's butt!! (after pud tonight):lol3:

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

startingover;679496 wrote: OMG.....what about fruit?
                        Greenie gave me some great advice about fruit -- I'm hoping she'll contribute when she's back on-line again.

Some fruits are okay and others not Starts. I see Banana's are on the NO-NO list which is a pity because it's one of my fav's.

So are you in???!!???

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

Thanks Deebs, I am looking at it now......

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

DeeBee;679500 wrote: Greenie gave me some great advice about fruit -- I'm hoping she'll contribute when she's back on-line again.

Some fruits are okay and others not Starts. I see Banana's are on the NO-NO list which is a pity because it's one of my fav's.

So are you in???!!???
                            This sounds stupid, but I am REALLY afraid of not being able to have my gum....
                            Plus I need to find some way of taking my all one, at the moment I take it in cranberry juice light which has sweetners in.

Comment

30 Sugar Free Day's

Deebs, just had a quick look through the guidelines and see that this is completely do-able.

Luckily I am a big veggie fan but of late have been shying away from them. This is the perfect excuse to get back up there with my veg intake.

Comment

Working...
                              X