NY Police: Wrong-Way Crash Driver Was Drunk, High

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A mother drank vodka and smoked marijuana while taking a vanload of children home from a weekend camping trip that ended in disaster when she went the wrong way on a highway and crashed into an SUV, killing eight people, police said Tuesday.

Diane Schuler, who died along with her 2-year-old daughter and three nieces in her red minivan, had more than 10 drinks of alcohol in her system and a high level of the main ingredient in marijuana, authorities said. A broken 1.75-liter bottle of Absolut vodka was found in her wrecked minivan, police said.

The revelations from the 36-year-old Long Island woman's autopsy helped explain how the woman her family called "an accomplished working mother who always put her children before any other priorities" wound up driving the wrong way for nearly two miles on a suburban parkway before slamming into the SUV.

The July 26 crash on the Taconic State Parkway, about 35 miles northwest of New York City, also killed three men in the SUV. Schuler's 5-year-old son, in her minivan, survived.

Investigators said Schuler had been driving erratically on other upstate roads before getting on the highway for the 140-mile trip home.

Schuler's blood-alcohol level was well above the legal limit, and she still had undigested alcohol in her stomach, State Police Maj. William Carey said Tuesday.

Blood tests also showed she had smoked marijuana 15 minutes to an hour before the crash, said Betsy Spratt, chief toxicologist for the Westchester County medical examiner.

"With that level of alcohol ... she would have had difficulty with perception, with her judgment, with her memory," Spratt said. "You start to get what we call tunnel vision."

Police said no criminal charges were planned in the case.

Roseann Guzzo, whose father and brother were killed in the SUV, said Tuesday her family wanted to meet with prosecutors to discuss the case.

"We're outraged by it," she said. "It's a choice she made. And that choice she made to us is like she committed murder."
    " Disco Chi..."

We are responsible for our actions ! MWO members......this is why alcoholics get so much disdane from the general public ! Stay Sober Mates.....IAD
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

That's one thing I never, ever do is drink and drive. This is tragic.
    I've been walking, a long and crooked path. Come my restoration, wash my body clean...

Comment

there but for the grace of god goes I. terribly tragic.
      AF/SF - November 23, 2014

Comment

Makes me sick that the children had no choice. Sad. A good reminder to us all.
        Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
        :h

Comment

wow, i saw this on the news before i left manhattan for a bit, before they had the test results.
          the report was something to the tune of 'what the hell was HER problem?"
          my thought was 'whoops, drunk.'
          that is a busy parkway.
          amazing. very sad.

Comment

thank you for sharing that iad
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

More2life........it's sad is'nt it. The General Public really does'nt know what this problem is all the about ! IAD
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yes, very, very tragic and sad....
                By the interviews from husband, family and friends it appears that she was skilled at hiding her problem. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the disease, Now those left behind must pick up the pieces of their lives....my heart goes out to them all. I wish she could have found MWO before this terrible event occurred. It is surely a wake up call for everyone who ever gave a thought to drinking and driving. I have done it before and feel ashamed right now even in my completely sober state. I am also feeling incredibly grateful that I have stopped the maddness. Krigs
                "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

"Yes Kriger..........We must all stop the Maddness !"
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for that IAD.
                    I haven't watched the news for a couple of days here in Australia so don't know if it got on the air or not.

What really confounds me is how anyone could be driving children (or anyone else) around knowing (and she would have) they were off their head on booze and dope.
                    We manage to disguise it so well from others at times, but she MUST have known she was pissed as a rat.
                    What a terrible thing for the innocent victims and their families.

Comment

how awful.
                      i am so glad that i don't drive and don't have a car
                      life is simple its just not easy

Comment

Working...
                      X